Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Sewing/Fabric Craft

Unread 06-08-2012, 10:40 AM   #1
ley-chan

Fabric Suggestions - Scales?

I'm planning a female Loki cosplay at some point towards the end of summer, but I'm having one hell of a time finding a fitting fabric for her...

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...FemaleLoki.PNG

There she is, and as you can see, her pants and top are made of something that resembles large scales. I considered making scale armor to go over something else, but it looks clunky and kind of gross, plus doesn't achieve that same skin-tight feel of Loki's outfit.

The closest thing I seem to be able to find is fish scale fabric or some snake skin pattern suede... The first seems too shiny, although I don't have a sample on hand yet and it might be okay, and the second is unavailable in green and I was advised against dyeing it so in store. It also wasn't stretchy/didn't have any give/would be harder to design a more skin-tight costume with. Neither is perfect.

So... Help please. I'm willing to order online, I'm willing to pay a large amount, I just want Loki to look pretty. I'm not expecting to magically find something that has scales the way she does, of course, but any help would be just lovely.
ley-chan is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 06-09-2012, 07:33 AM   #2
Penlowe

the fish scale fabric you linked is sequins, so it will be very shiny and sparkley.

Maybe start with ordinary spandex and do a massive paint job?
Penlowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-09-2012, 10:35 PM   #3
Ninja_Fallow
Fallow

Monoyasha, a fursuit maker, did an awesome Toothless (from How To Train Your Dragon) quadsuit by putting dollops of puffy fabric paint in varying shapes (I think she had a few templates) and patterns on her base fabric to get a really cool scale look.
http://monoyasha.deviantart.com/art/...23876378&qo=23
Maybe that would help?
Ninja_Fallow is offline   Reply With Quote