Go Back   Cosplay.com > Canada Convention Forums > Anime North

Unread 06-07-2012, 10:27 AM   #226
DireKitty
Captain Kittens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ani_BEE View Post
I sorely miss having at least one photographer booth a the DT this year. Because of my costume (restricting layers and zori that make would walk in baby steps naturally. lol) and the heat I pretty much parked myself at the DT on Saturday but really want to get some shots done.

The lover level of the main foyer of the DT never gets used where the Ballroom's are above. The area in general get a lot of traffic and having a sign that points downwards to indicate their are photo shoot area/rooms would be an option.

Next year at least I'll be able to move my legs properly with the costumes options I have for Saturday. lol
They used to have it up where the green room is didn't they? I guess there isn't much space there to have a spot the whole weekend. It was really crowded around that booth back when it was there and I recall having to ask a lot of people to gtfo.

They can't have it at the bottom of the stairs as that is where everyone waits for the masq check-in. It would simply be too crowded.

The front of the TCC isn't really used for much - I don't think it was used at all this year. It would also be a good spot for a cosplay repair area.

Anime North Reddit Community
DireKitty is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 06-07-2012, 10:44 AM   #227
Ani_BEE
Black Magic Woman

Yes last year Elemental had that spot. The main floor of the stairs at the back of the DT is always crowed for events through out the day but the level below that is also never used either. Basically the sub floors never get used unless someone wants them for a private shoot without crowding.

Unplugged Expo
Madeline Hatter ~ Ever After High (Sat)

Future cosplays/cons:
Anime North (Nehelenia)
Allen Crown Clown
Sakizo Anniversary
Steampunk - Bride

For Sale
cosplay items for sale.
Arda & Shop.cosplay wig fiber swatch comparisons & Cosplay props tutorials and Makeup reviews!
Ani_BEE is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-08-2012, 02:06 AM   #228
Aeternus

I just thought of this when I noticed a thread in another section of the forum on use of animals/pets in cosplays.

I did see a couple of animals being brought to the con. One was a dog, but as far as I saw, the dog never went into any of the buildings. However, I did see someone with a rather large snake wandering around, both inside and out.

What is Anime North's policy on this? Both for the welfare of the animals and for the comfort/safety of con-goers, that is.

Personally, I just avoided the snake, as I'm not fond of them but I'm not scared of them either, but if it were my aunt, she'd be terrified and would bolt. It's not so bad when it's outdoors, where there is plenty of space to put between yourself and the animal, but if it's in a crowded area like the Dealer's Room, the situation is a bit different.
Aeternus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-08-2012, 07:09 AM   #229
DireKitty
Captain Kittens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeternus View Post
I just thought of this when I noticed a thread in another section of the forum on use of animals/pets in cosplays.

I did see a couple of animals being brought to the con. One was a dog, but as far as I saw, the dog never went into any of the buildings. However, I did see someone with a rather large snake wandering around, both inside and out.

What is Anime North's policy on this? Both for the welfare of the animals and for the comfort/safety of con-goers, that is.

Personally, I just avoided the snake, as I'm not fond of them but I'm not scared of them either, but if it were my aunt, she'd be terrified and would bolt. It's not so bad when it's outdoors, where there is plenty of space to put between yourself and the animal, but if it's in a crowded area like the Dealer's Room, the situation is a bit different.
lol! The snake actually came from a place called Hamilton Ball Pythons and i think their booth is in the dealers room or the photo alley (maybe it was moved there this year... not sure - never checked it out). They were there last year as well. In the booth people could get pictures with the snakes which is neat. They had a couple of snakes that they would rotate through to ensure they wouldn't get annoyed with all the attention. :3

I've seen dogs the odd time wandering around the TCC grounds and i mean thats not something AN would have the staff to police even if it was decided that it would be a no no. I don't think dogs are allowed into the actual TCC itself unless they are service dogs. That would be more of an issues with the crowds etc.

Last edited by DireKitty : 06-08-2012 at 07:17 AM.
Unread 06-08-2012, 08:48 AM   #230
GoddessDigi
Mommy of 2

They were in the photo alley.
Someone also had 2 darling ferrets. :3
GoddessDigi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-08-2012, 09:27 AM   #231
DireKitty
Captain Kittens

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoddessDigi View Post
They were in the photo alley.
Someone also had 2 darling ferrets. :3
I SAW THOSE. So awesome!

Unread 06-08-2012, 04:20 PM   #232
ShinobiXikyu
Embroidery Enthusiast

I saw a ferret being carried around too. So cute. ^^ I know the Dt allows smaller dogs in the rooms, so in there they're considered fine (and I can't believe I missed the ball pythons. I LOVE snakes; I have seen a few cosplayers with live snakes too in previous years, and either they said nobody saw it yet to say they couldn't have it, or it could be taken discreetly back to their room. As for ACTUALLY being allowed, no idea.:P). And I THINK outside the TCC, dogs are fine. I've seen quite a few over the years, cosplaying or not (one Applejack cosplayer had a great Winona with her this year ^^), and usually they just get asked to be kept on a leash and can't come into the building.
There is a vibe here that says "We're in this together! Through thick and thin fabric! Through cold water washes and burning hot irons! Though we might super glue ourselves to our projects, cut holes/gashes/oh-god-mom's-gonna-kill-me into the dining room table, we will stand strong together. Unless there is a 75% off sale at the Fabric store. Then you're on your own. And get the hell out of my way." <3
Artist alley, costumes, businessey things--> http://whimsicalsquidco.deviantart.com/
ShinobiXikyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-08-2012, 04:38 PM   #233
Lady Scaper

For Hilton hotels, from what I understand pets are allowed. Other places, I have no clue. I wish I got to see the Hamilton Ball Python booth. I like snakes too and I was glad they rotated the snakes for their welfare.
Lady Scaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-09-2012, 07:56 AM   #234
GoddessDigi
Mommy of 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by DireKitty View Post
I SAW THOSE. So awesome!
One of them had a pair of pink wings on, Sunday. It was d'awww. lol (http://i1256.photobucket.com/albums/...nday/Sun21.jpg) Dunno where the other was at the time..
GoddessDigi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-09-2012, 05:11 PM   #235
DireKitty
Captain Kittens

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoddessDigi View Post
One of them had a pair of pink wings on, Sunday. It was d'awww. lol (http://i1256.photobucket.com/albums/...nday/Sun21.jpg) Dunno where the other was at the time..
Lol!
"REMOVE THESE AT ONCE HUMAN!"

Unread 06-10-2012, 06:22 PM   #236
Eleryth
Rollin Rollin Rollin

Re: Photo booth in DT upstairs (last year AN - no other year that I can recall)
That was The Enthusiasts (of which Elemental was one), and the reason they were up on the lobby of the Plaza Ballroom of the DT was because they were also the official photographers for the Skit Contest and Masquerade that year. Different arrangements were made this year, partly due to the photo alley in the TCC. This turned out to be a good thing as we were actually short curtains for constructing the green room and therefore wouldn't have been able to block off an appropriately shaped space, as well as having many large costumes that we really needed the space for.

The basement area at the stairwell to go to the second level of the DT - I've heard we don't have access to that because of the businesses located there, so we'd be unable to use that space for a photo pit. The only other large space I can think of, though also really busy, is the 'lobby' where volunteers tables and the like were, near the Japanese restaurant.

We can explore the idea of having a photobooth in the DT, though, and see if anything can be done.

Re: Repair station
The Masquerade has one, but it's only available during the masquerade and is managed by the Greenroom Manager personally. I believe pre-AN there was a thread discussing a repair station here on coscom, and Kaijugal said it's possible BUT would need someone responsible to over-see it and be willing to staff it and maintain it all weekend. We just don't have the man-power. If someone dedicated wanted to take it on, it could be arranged. Rest assured, we don't have one not because we don't want one. I'll have to see if I can find that thread and edit this post to include it. Someone said they were willing, but I don't think it got beyond that. EDIT: past thread here

Re: Masquerade Judging
I'll take the comments about the judging process to the judges for next year, and maybe create a list of questions or something for them to start with to help draw out shy/nervous entrants.

For entrants, please remember that you're allowed to let them know if you feel they're not paying enough attention to certain things. Point stuff out; literally show them "hey, look at my seams". They all have different specialities and don't necessarily inspect every single seam of all the garments (there's just no time) and don't have a set questionnaire - much of the 'art' of judging involves the entrant.

I will also make note of the comment about references, which are usually used for workmanship; it's up to the judge if they want to keep it. It's best to bring two copies of documentation, and one can be submitted when registering which will be provided during deliberation. There was a panel at AN on Sunday about costume documentation as well, which may be helpful (look up past Costume-Con or WorldCon examples). I may have to add some information to the website or create a FAQ thread on the Teahouse for next year regarding the Masquerade.

As always, best way to reach us for masquerade specific things is to email masquerade AT animenorth.com.

In Toronto and like kimono? Check out the Toronto Kimono Club!

Last edited by Eleryth : 06-10-2012 at 06:26 PM.
Eleryth is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-10-2012, 10:25 PM   #237
Miliyah

Oh, actually..
does anyone know why gaiaonline convention codes were being passed out?
my friend received one from an event he went to on friday night and gave it to me upon his return.
but to my knowledge, gaiaonline never went to the con :\
(i'd ask in their forums, but its really deserted in there o 3o)
Unread 06-11-2012, 08:39 AM   #238
DireKitty
Captain Kittens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miliyah View Post
Oh, actually..
does anyone know why gaiaonline convention codes were being passed out?
my friend received one from an event he went to on friday night and gave it to me upon his return.
but to my knowledge, gaiaonline never went to the con :\
(i'd ask in their forums, but its really deserted in there o 3o)
Someone came into the staff room and said gaia gave him a ton of codes and asked if we wanted them.

Unread 06-11-2012, 09:01 AM   #239
Miliyah

Quote:
Originally Posted by DireKitty View Post
Someone came into the staff room and said gaia gave him a ton of codes and asked if we wanted them.
oh okey lol
i would've been peeved if AN didnt announce that gaia was actually there o 3o
then again i would've been even more peeved if gaia themselves didnt announce they'd be there xD
Unread 06-11-2012, 11:10 AM   #240
Pasiphilo
Life Imitating Art

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eleryth View Post
Re: Photo booth in DT upstairs (last year AN - no other year that I can recall)
That was The Enthusiasts (of which Elemental was one)...
I had emailed them before the con to ask if they'd be there again because they had a great setup last year and I was really happy with the photos they took; they said they couldn't make it this year due to logistical challenges, unfortunately, but hoped to make it for next year.
Pasiphilo is offline   Reply With Quote