Go Back   Cosplay.com > US Convention Forums > AnimeNEXT

Unread 06-11-2012, 04:35 PM   #16
luckiibeckii

I only went to the dealer's room once, but the one time I went, I was infuriated enough to never go back. I really think it was meant to actually discourage people with complex cosplays from going in at all, because it was just impossible. I flat out said to a staff member it didn't make sense for us to have to go all the way around and through the dealer's room like this, and I'm usually very polite to con staff.

I also don't understand why some vendor's didn't want pictures of their merch. I was trying to show my bf some photography stuff and have him practice on static objects because he's starting out, and takes a while to frame things properly and I didn't want to inconvenience any cosplayers with him taking 15 minutes to shoot (god bless him, lol he's trying!). But we got told no photos at two booths, and I just got really pissed off. Like they think we're going to sell the pictures of their crap. Give me a break.

Also, it was incredibly crowded on Saturday. And the heat didn't help. I was dressed as Radical Edward and I was sweating buckets. It was ridiculous. I didn't even want to move, and oftentimes didn't bother to get up and get shots of cosplayers I liked. They need to have better air conditioning in the Double Tree and the convention Center to relieve those poor cosplayers who are dressed heavily.

Also, I got in twice without having a badge, but another time I had to dig out my pass from my overstuffed bag and was scolded for not having it out. This annoyed me to no end. The door people have to be consistent. If someone's in costume thats either very heavy or very light, assume they have a pass and just don't have it on at the moment for pictures or what have you. It's a real pain in the ass.

Other than that I had fun. lol. But this will probably be my last time at AN.
luckiibeckii is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 06-11-2012, 05:53 PM   #17
Moonsong
daughter of evil

Overall, I had a decent time at this year's AnimeNEXT. It wasn't as "exciting" as it has felt in other years for me, but that's because I got laid off 2 weeks before this convention and having to worry about how I'm going to eat at the con is a real downer. Thankfully, my boyfriend did help out, but it's still a bummer. Anyway, here's my review.

PROS:
1.) Very friendly and helpful staff. I have had issues with rude and seemingly clueless staff in past years, but this year I had no problems. Every time I had a question, it was answered politely and with the correct information. I really appreciate not having to ask 10 different staff members the same question just trying to get the right answer. I was also in the cosplay dating game for the first time this year, and I'd like to give a special shout out to the staffers running it..They were super friendly and reassuring, and let me go last in the second round of bachelorettes to get the hang of things. I'll definitely consider applying for the dating game again next year.

2.) Things generally started on time and were placed in appropriate rooms for crowd size. This was so, so awesome! It kind of ties in to the staff thing again, but I really liked that everything was kept on schedule for the most part, and none of the events I went to were hurting for space for the audience.

CONS:

1.) Dealer's room line. Seriously? Who came up with that idea, and why wasn't it at least told to us beforehand? I know I'm not the only one who walked all the way to the previous entrance, only to be told I had to walk around the building outside to get in. The heat made it uncomfortable to begin with, but what if it had started storming? Also, it seemed to me like the food court was no longer accessible, as I didn't see anyone moving in and out of there. Why was that?

2.) I'm going to have to be one of those downers and say that I really don't think this location suits AnimeNEXT as well as the venue in Secaucus did. That location was much more centralized and much safer. Crossing that busy street at the GSEC during the day is not only a hassle, but it is dangerous, and I really hate not having access to food without needing to drive or getting something delivered. It is probably a hopeless cause, but I really hope that AnimeNEXT will consider moving back there, or perhaps trying out a different convention center.

3.) This is minor, and I'm not sure if it's something AnimeNEXT can even control, but the air conditioning in the DoubleTree was abysmal, aside from in the Manga library. I don't ever remember it being as bad as this year, and they had the freaking fireplace going in the Doubletree as well. What the hell do you need a fire place for when it's 82 degrees outside?? -_- They really need to crank up the AC and leave the fire place off until November.

In general, though, I think a great show was produced this year and I'm looking forward to next year.

On hiatus until 2015.

★Saber EXTRA - 100% complete
★Rachel Alucard (Blazblue) - 100% complete

Moonsong is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-12-2012, 09:24 PM   #18
MrParadox
Friend or Foe

Regarding location, the only two other places they would consider is either the convention center in Edison which has even less stuff, or somewhere in NYC now that NYAF is pretty much dead, which I think they would be reluctant to do. I remember the last year in Seacacus they had to put some of the stuff in the parking lot which was the dumbest thing they have ever done.

And yeah, con etiquette is a huge problem, mostly because the underage don't know how to behave but there are other reasons as well. That fire alarm at 3 AM sunday was a pain in the ass and it was because of two idiots who think doing stupid stuff is funny. Honestly, I would say that if con goers can't behave, they would have to tighten up the rules until people know the difference between having fun and doing stuff in expense of other people.
Unread 06-12-2012, 10:16 PM   #19
Yellow Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by dollylovey123 View Post
I agree. I mean more so on just plan Etiquette. There were many people who did not take to con courtesy. I'm not sure it's because cons are becoming more mainstream or people are becoming rude. I'm happy to see more fans but I'm not happy to see the random people who didn't seem to appreciate anything. I even over heard a few girls complaining about not getting enough attention on their cosplays. What happened to enjoying everyone else's cosplays and having fun in an otaku environment?

Other then that it felt alot like last year and I didn't mind the walking around for the vendors even in my large heels XD.
I totally agree with you. I felt like alot of people complained and I also saw countless of people complaining. I also saw alot of people not cosplaying and acted as if they should deserve to get as many pictures as the professional looking cosplayers. WTF really? Thats just... like why come to a con at all?

I didn't mind the trip around the building but what ticked me off the most. Going to the food court. They made you go all the way around. I honestly did not get that waist of time and energy just go go around when they know you will be back in less then 5 mins.
Yellow Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-13-2012, 03:28 PM   #20
Axel_Xx
Kindness in a can

On top of the Dealers room entrance being really far away, I'd have to just add that as for a main event the masquerades keep getting more and more disorganized and annoying.

There was that screwup with the front of the line issue, and then the cluster of people that rushed in to be seated, but on top of that, there was issues with lighting and sound throughout the whole production. I really try to enjoy the masquerade as it used to be my favorite part of anime next, but its been getting worse throughout the years. No offense, but some of the skits were sub par, and they really need to do a sound check and make audio completely heard because I didn't hear a damn thing.
Axel_Xx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-14-2012, 09:07 AM   #21
MoradoFlower
Stephanie-Lynn

-__- none of my cosplays were professional looking and I was attacked by teen boys for photos. Short shorts or dresses, never again!

*Mallow (Mario RPG)
*Sylveon (Pokemon; Gijinka)
MoradoFlower is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-14-2012, 10:25 AM   #22
Kratos99
Boo! Wait, you're dead.

I agree with those above had said about the dealers room.
The con to me, felt a bit lackluster. Maybe it's because my first convention was New York Anime Festival, and I'm used to a big building with everything going on inside it, but having to travel from hotel, to hotel, felt.. Bleh.
But, I did enjoy myself. Ironically, I had a better time with all my friends in the hotel we stayed at. It was a more enjoyable thing. Lol.

P.S - Some people were creepy. A handful of guys thought I was a girl and flirted with me. The second I spoke their face turned into utter shock and I walked away.
Unread 06-14-2012, 10:57 AM   #23
MoradoFlower
Stephanie-Lynn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kratos99 View Post

P.S - Some people were creepy. A handful of guys thought I was a girl and flirted with me. The second I spoke their face turned into utter shock and I walked away.

XD!!!!!

*Mallow (Mario RPG)
*Sylveon (Pokemon; Gijinka)
MoradoFlower is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-14-2012, 01:54 PM   #24
BruisedBlood
Your demon butler

i had the same problem as most people:
~i hated i had to walked around from the food court just to walk around the building to get to the dealers room and once you entered you could exit back to the dealers room...

~on top of that friday i brought an keyblade and i was denied excess to the dealers room so i just went back into the hotel(?) i think it was XD where the bridge was and stayed there the whole time because i couldnt go back =w=

~i also didnt appreciate the fact that the staff yelled in your face when you tried to enter to exit a certain place i found that stupid that once i left a certain part of the section of the dealers room i could not re-enter and had go around

~Alot of people either bumped into me or hit me with a weapon and didnt say sorry, i tried my best to stay a certain feet away from someone so i wouldnt hit them or bump into them

~i also dreaded the long walk to the other part of the convention i was sooo sore by the end of the night c= i couldnt even make it sunday

BUT OVER ALL

~i had fun and enjoyed myself
~i liked what they had in the dealers room and what they were selling
~i loved the area and scenery it was beautiful
~for the most part people were friendly

oAttending NYCC? come check out my thread and post there
http://www.cosplay.com/showthread.ph...07#post4620307

(\/)
( . .)
c(")(")

*Contact me on skype ID:emorawrtastic :'3
*Contact me on Facebook :3
http://www.facebook.com/#!/hayden.davatilshi

Last edited by BruisedBlood : 06-14-2012 at 01:57 PM.
BruisedBlood is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-14-2012, 04:50 PM   #25
fujyoshi
half elf flame haze

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckiibeckii View Post
I only went to the dealer's room once, but the one time I went, I was infuriated enough to never go back. I really think it was meant to actually discourage people with complex cosplays from going in at all, because it was just impossible. I flat out said to a staff member it didn't make sense for us to have to go all the way around and through the dealer's room like this, and I'm usually very polite to con staff.
man I broke the rules all weekend and just kept on walking through /heh

but I had a pretty good time xD as a matter of fact I made a video of it ;p

http://youtu.be/h4ZpGQYkJxU
fujyoshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-15-2012, 10:19 AM   #26
lechaflan
Ryojabba Dojiwockee

Another thing that should be of concern is wheelchair routes. That bridge that's betweem the main center and the hotel with the panels is really tight for 2-way traffic for wheelchairs and what's more not fair is that groups with a wheelchair user has to wait longer cuz of the tight path. If they plan to have ANext at the same location with the same layout, they certainly need to widen that bridge or create another one that allows better ease of travel for them.
Ryotaro Dojima (Persona 4): Otakon 2009, New York Anime Festival 2009, VG Expo 2009, PAX East 2010, Anime Expo 2010, Otakon 2010, New York Anime Festival/Comic-con 2010, Otakon 2011, AnimeNEXT 2012, New York Comic-con 2012, Otakon 2013
Hubert Oswell (Tales of Graces f): Otakon 2013
lechaflan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-20-2012, 06:16 AM   #27
Sayorain
Hi I'm Sayo.

Despite personal issues that kind of soured my mood overall, it was my first big anime convention, and the only big complaint that I want to address was the location.

I don't see how complicated for Anime Next to not stay at Secaucus. Personally where I am residing the transportation was a big inconvenience since taking two buses and a taxi ride was just awful. New Brunswick is not a convenient location to have a good way to get there by those relying on public transportation.

With Secaucus, I can say that it's better to remain there since all the trains arriving and departing go past Secaucus into New York. The NJ Coast train stops directly at Secaucus, the Rutherford train Station (where I used to formerly reside) stop at Secaucus as well

And I honestly wished there were shuttle services from New Brunswick. Call me petty, but it still is a long way to go even after you get off the train (or bus or both).
Sayorain is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-20-2012, 02:46 PM   #28
xWhathaveidonex

The only two conventions I've gone to are NYAF,which was very disappointing, and AnimeNext. The one thing that bugged me was the overcrowding and the dealers room walking nonsense. I think it's about time that AnimeNext should move to a new location that is bigger. I wished that the dealers room was back at the tree hotel. It was quite and bigger.
xWhathaveidonex is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-20-2012, 04:13 PM   #29
fujyoshi
half elf flame haze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sayorain View Post
I don't see how complicated for Anime Next to not stay at Secaucus.
They said they out grew that convention center.

Truthfully I miss it too because I feel that the area had alot more going for it. There was actually places to get food as well as the hotels offering continental breakfast choices. Not like the double tree where they want you to buy there expensive food, and you have to scrounge anything salvageable. It was because 'a that that I got into taking oatmeal packets and fiber one bars and stuff but oh how things change I suppose. I got used to the new spot though and I guess its ok depending on who you ask.
fujyoshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-20-2012, 06:47 PM   #30
mrgetalife
Foxkeh Says Hi!

They outgrew the last location (The MEC) because during the friday there are a lot of buinesses still working. They probably got complaints over the years. The GSEC is slightly larger and there are other buildings available for use. This year however the building management decided to screw over AnimeNEXT and take away the "300" building at the last minute from what I've heard. So I guess the GSEC management is now on not-so-friendly terms with AnimeNEXT now.

Given than the only other places that can house the convention is Atlantic City, Phildelphia or NYC. None of which this con could ever afford or organize. And all the other NJ Convention centers aren't as accessible. They're kinda stuck here. Or they have to implement attendance caps which no event ever wants to do.

That said. I haven't been to a con this size ever before and everyone pretty much out of costume and doing nothing by 10PM on Saturday. Sure there was a dance thing. But usually that's "full" and people spilling out for a long time. But I didn't hear it this time.
mrgetalife is offline   Reply With Quote