Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Photography > Photo Critique

Unread 06-08-2012, 03:49 PM   #1
KiraCosplayHai
Guardian Corps.

Critique on my Photography please?

Hey Guys ^^
I've been playing with the idea of getting into cosplay photography, and I would love to do photoshoots sometime in the future~
So at MCM Expo last month, I asked a few cosplayers I met if I could get a few shots of them, as well as just general photos from Group Metups etc.

It would be nice to get some Critique on my photos. I've got ALOT to improve on~ and wonder if you guys could also give me tips on lighting, location, camera setting improvements etc.

these haven't been editied, I have only just watermarked them.
thank you!

Photos
Paddra Nsu Yeul FFXIII-2

Time flows without pause. In a world where I no longer exist, the future, is about to change. Serah, the truth still survives, but only you, renember it.
Nothing is either good or bad, but thinking makes it so.
KiraCosplayHai is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 06-11-2012, 12:39 PM   #2
KiraCosplayHai
Guardian Corps.

Bump~
Paddra Nsu Yeul FFXIII-2

Time flows without pause. In a world where I no longer exist, the future, is about to change. Serah, the truth still survives, but only you, renember it.
Unread 06-12-2012, 11:56 PM   #3
tfcreate
Behind the lens since 68

Overall, they're good general coverage cosplay event photos.

Some of the basics:
1.Busy backgrounds distract from the subjects.
Try to go to a higher f-stop and longer angles. They will blur the background (make the dept of field shallower) separating the subjects from what's in the background.

2. (Mainly for pairs and groups) Get the cosplayers to play to each other rather than to the camera.
This will avoid the "picture-day-in-the-4th-grade" look and feel to the photos.
This isn't a hard and fast rule. If you're going for portraits, then that look is fine, but the framing of the shot has to change to compensate.

3. Remember the "rule of thirds"

4. Try to avoid cutting off body parts.
I know that in con shots things tend to be rushed, but with practice, this will become instinctive.

5. Avoid bright sunlight if possible. This will reduce shadows and high contrast, sunlight.
A fill flash can help, but still overpowering the sun is a huge task. Managing light is an art form by itself.

Manual settings are your friend. They make the difference between ok photos and great ones.

You're doing well. It's just a matter of more practice. The more you do, the better you become.

Good luck, and HAVE FUN!

Rules for life: Rule #7
Before you were born, your parents weren't as boring as they are now. They got that way from paying your bills, cleaning your clothes and listening to you talk about how cool you are.
Anime Midwest Anime Chicago Chicago Comicon
Anime Iowa
tfcreate is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-13-2012, 02:02 AM   #4
brebaker
Photographer

Overall pretty good.
One thing you could improve on is composition.
Just play around with how you take your picture. Be creative. An image that's just straight just looks like a normal/"boring" candid shot. If you're taking an individual picture of someone, play around with perspective and angle.

Another thing is the location. Ask them if it's alright to pull them off to the side. Too many people walking around in the background can be distracting. And also dont be afraid to get closer.

Lighting
Try to use more "open shade" when shooting outdoors.
Direct sunlight can get pretty harsh and add unwanted shadows, and it doesn't look pleasant. It also makes the model squint.

If I may ask, what camera are you shooting with?
-50mm f/1.8
-Canon 580 EXII
brebaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-13-2012, 08:57 AM   #5
KiraCosplayHai
Guardian Corps.

thank you guys very much for the feedback!
Brebaker, I'm using a Nikon D3100 and a Tamron 18 to 200 wide angle lense
Paddra Nsu Yeul FFXIII-2

Unread 06-13-2012, 01:11 PM   #6
skuggi

Ah cool an slr then, good. Do you remember were you in Auto or Guide mode when taking those pics?
skuggi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-13-2012, 05:35 PM   #7
KiraCosplayHai
Guardian Corps.

I'm on Auto when i took these, However, I'm trying to make more use of the Manual features ^^
Paddra Nsu Yeul FFXIII-2

Unread 06-14-2012, 02:28 AM   #8
brebaker
Photographer

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiraCosplayHai View Post
I'm on Auto when i took these, However, I'm trying to make more use of the Manual features ^^
start using P mode. It'll start you out enough with out using on camera flash. If you're outside in bright sunlight, set the ISO to 200 to start out on. The shutter and aperture will be auto.

Use auto"greenmode" as your last resort if you're stuck.
-50mm f/1.8
-Canon 580 EXII
brebaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-15-2012, 04:44 PM   #9
KiraCosplayHai
Guardian Corps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brebaker View Post
start using P mode. It'll start you out enough with out using on camera flash. If you're outside in bright sunlight, set the ISO to 200 to start out on. The shutter and aperture will be auto.

Use auto"greenmode" as your last resort if you're stuck.
thank you! I'll start doing that
Paddra Nsu Yeul FFXIII-2

Unread 07-09-2012, 11:10 PM   #10
limberjack
Mostly harmless

You're already doing well at what many people find the hardest part, which is walking up to strangers, talking them into posing for a few shots. In addition to helping you get a good shot today, this makes friendships and connections that help at the next convention.

In terms of shooting basics, many have already been brought up.

1) Keep an eye on what else is creeping into your shots -- people, a cluttered background, etc. You can usually find a better angle that improves these things, or ask your subjects to move a bit. When you are planning a more substantial shoot, scout out other areas you can use in advance. Ideally, do it at the time of day you'll be shooting, so you know where the sun will be/etc.

2) It's tricky to shoot in harsh sunlight, and in many of these shots you are shooting against the light. That is, the sun is behind your subjects, leaving the side you are shooting in shadow.

3) Get more creative on distance and angles. You don't need to capture everyone head to toe, unless the costume/pose warrants it. Get in close - it's the eyes/expression and filling the frame with your subject that often sell a shot.

4) Like most of us, you got a wide range zoom lens as a first lens. It's tempting, because it seems to be able to do everything. But in fact, a zoom like that makes a lot of tradeoffs in image quality and aperture. It is tough to take quality pics with them. Try to borrow a cheap prime lens in the 35-50mm range. One advantage of a prime lens is that it generally offers a much wider aperture, which helps to blur the background and isolate your subject.

5) You don't need cosplayers to practice! Bring the camera along when you're out with friends or family, at other kinds of events, etc. Most will humor you. Try to recreate shots you've seen and liked.

Good luck!
limberjack is offline   Reply With Quote