Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay by Series/Genre > Anime/Manga > Sailor Moon

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 215 votes, 4.99 average.
Unread 06-14-2012, 04:50 AM   #6481
x-Steffi-x
UK Cosplayer...x

Quote:
Originally Posted by MirniMausi View Post
Just wanted to mention that I finished my Usagi-Cos and uploaded it here on Cos.com today

http://www.cosplay.com/costume/428006/
If you don't mind me asking, but where did you get your wig from? c:
Usagi Tsukino (School Uniform) - Sailor Moon
Sailor Cosmos - Sailor Moon Sailor Stars
Bubbles - Powerpuff Girls Z

x-Steffi-x is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 06-14-2012, 12:41 PM   #6482
MirniMausi
Just live more

Quote:
Originally Posted by x-Steffi-x View Post
If you don't mind me asking, but where did you get your wig from? c:
The original wig is from a page called mycostumes.de. They sell Kanekalon wigs in many colors and high quality.
I styled it myself, together with a friend, but we kinda messed up a bit. The original wig was 80 cm long, but I think due to all the mess, it's down to 70 or something.

~Up Next~
Sailor Moon ~Classic Musical Fuku~ (Sera Myu)
Joyful Knight Candelira ~Human form~ (Zyuden Sentai Kyoryuger)
Maybe: Eri ~Cheerleader Version~ (Tensou Sentai Goseiger)
MirniMausi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-14-2012, 02:00 PM   #6483
Prissi
tsukini kawatte oshiokiyo

Thanks so much, you guys! I'm terrified of not finishing my wings/wig in time but I'll just have to make do with what I can accomplish in that time. (I am not good at "making do", though. >_>) The wig dyeing has turned it yellow blonde... not quite the bright powerful yellow... but oh well. :/

It's really weird because I guess something was cached and I didn't see a bunch of posts that just came through now.

Ranma: Thanks for cheering me on and for all the advice Could not have done this without you!

Steffi: Soon enough! Finish your exams and then you'll be able to dedicate all the time you need. The wire is a great idea, good luck with both exams and costume!!

Sui: :OOOOOOO THAT IS TOTALLY THE KIMONO FOR HER. Congratulations on your awesome find!!!

Isisa: .... those corsets... I cannot imagine how much cursing went on. The costumes turned out wonderfully, and how awesome you got to turn a school project into cosplay!

Mirni: Hey, at least your wig is really really yellow, and it looks great. I can't really tell much that it was salvaged!

Inkreader: Love the outfit; I'm starting to like her original uniform more and more the more I see it whereas before I only wanted to do eternal ever And the bootcovers especially seem like they were super hard work -- you did a great job!
Prissi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-14-2012, 09:45 PM   #6484
MirniMausi
Just live more

Prissi: Haha thanks Yeah, well, I usually prefer blonde wigs, but as they are yellow in the musicals and I did a musical cos, I wanted a yellow one.
Ah, I'm sure your cos will turn out fine. It's so awesome already <3 I showed it to a fellow Moon-Cosplayer and she also said it will turn out great.

~Up Next~
Unread 06-15-2012, 03:34 AM   #6485
Prissi

accidentally double posted, so deleted

Last edited by Prissi : 06-15-2012 at 03:38 AM.
Unread 06-15-2012, 03:38 AM   #6486
Prissi

Mirni, thanks!! Haha, at this point, I feel like I've got the costume under control. What I'm freaking out about is the wig right now. I CANNOT get it to stay on my head right, no matter what I do (I've used five billion pins, wig cap, etc etc, and read a bunch of tutorials) and if I can't get it to fit right on my head, I can't get the pigtails adjusted so they sit right and I can't style the wig. So stressed right now... the con's on Saturday. >_____>

The wig has been super epic the source of 70% of my stress on the costume (the other 30% was the collar). X_______x
Unread 06-15-2012, 03:57 AM   #6487
x-Steffi-x
UK Cosplayer...x

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prissi View Post
Mirni, thanks!! Haha, at this point, I feel like I've got the costume under control. What I'm freaking out about is the wig right now. I CANNOT get it to stay on my head right, no matter what I do (I've used five billion pins, wig cap, etc etc, and read a bunch of tutorials) and if I can't get it to fit right on my head, I can't get the pigtails adjusted so they sit right and I can't style the wig. So stressed right now... the con's on Saturday. >_____>

The wig has been super epic the source of 70% of my stress on the costume (the other 30% was the collar). X_______x
Oh no, I thought you had plenty of time to finish it! I'm sure you'll work something out. I know this may sound a bit silly and might not work, but have you tried fashion tape? It's skin-friendly and holds things, but if the wig's heavy it might not - but it's worth a try. Another idea would be to get a curved needle, braid your real hair and secure the it in place on top of your head. Put wig cap and wig on, then get a friend to sew the wig into your hair braid so keep it in place. I've seen someone do this and it worked for them. It's worth a shot.
I had trouble with my frist Sailor Moon wig *shudders* I think some people in this thread remembers my ordeal with it back in May 2010 >.>

--------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm considering buying my wig for Myu Moon on eBay, but I'm wary. I was going to use the Arda method, but some people have said the wig was too big and the fringe isn't right (I've attempted to cut bangs for another cosplay and they ended up looking choppy, although not bad, but I don't want to risk it with another one). I've seen a particular one I like, but can anyone recommend me a good eBay seller who sells yellow Sailor Moon wigs that they've bought and think look good?

Unread 06-15-2012, 04:01 AM   #6488
AuroraKaganshik
Starlit Dreams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prissi View Post

I live once more guys XD

anyway. i have the same problem with my wigs, i use to cosplay chibi usa.
its really how your hair is placed under the wig, the type of wig cap you have, and how you place the pins~

i have a fish net cap, and usually twist my hair into two pigtails that i wrap around my head. then pin, and place the cap on.
bobbypins placed by the ear adjusters. two right under the sides of the bangs. and two near the middle. then 4 on the back base. two on the sides behind the ears. and then if i'm able to. i'll put a few through the wefting on the wig, straight into my wigcap, and into my hair. just becareful doing it. its easy to pop the wefting on wigs
Cosplay Facebook
Online Store

Upcoming cons. yay! 2014
Anime Conji, PMX, SDCC

Cosplays:
Terra Branford v.3 - 100% debuted at AX 2014
Manga Princess Chibi: 90% remaking wig
Horo: 0%
Princess Neptune: 100%
Aqua: 10%
Sleeping Beauty: 70%
AuroraKaganshik is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-15-2012, 07:16 AM   #6489
Hsien-Ko
Fun Sized

Steffi, I used an Arda wig, clip on extensions and Odangos for my princess serenity wig and the only thing that made me go "eh?" was that the Odangos were big. But in the end it worked out fine since it covered the clips of the clip-ons

I won a masquerade ribon with my cosplay ^_^ *super Excited* I was novice =3

But now.. I'm not sure what to cosplay from Sailor Moon.. I'm chubby, so cosplaying a sailor senshi is a no-go for me and my tummy XD
Hsien-Ko is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-15-2012, 08:40 AM   #6490
x-Steffi-x
UK Cosplayer...x

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hsien-Ko View Post
Steffi, I used an Arda wig, clip on extensions and Odangos for my princess serenity wig and the only thing that made me go "eh?" was that the Odangos were big. But in the end it worked out fine since it covered the clips of the clip-ons

I won a masquerade ribon with my cosplay ^_^ *super Excited* I was novice =3

But now.. I'm not sure what to cosplay from Sailor Moon.. I'm chubby, so cosplaying a sailor senshi is a no-go for me and my tummy XD
As I said, the bangs aren't right and I don't want to sort them out as I probably won't have much time because I'm taking on commissions in the summer. But I'll think about it. Not a lot of people done the "Arda way" so I can't really get a variety of photos from different people in order to judge whether I'd like to do it or not. I just really dislike working with wigs and I have a budget focused so I can't afford to commission one.

------------------------------------------------------------

You're not chubby! Besides, one of my favourite Sailor Moon cosplayers is plus-size and she pulls off the fuku's well! She probably used shapers, but she adjusted the skirts and stuff to help compliment her size. I think anyone can pull of a senshi outfit, just use the right materials and adjust where needed. Don't limit your cosplay choices due to size c:

Unread 06-15-2012, 02:30 PM   #6491
Prissi

Thanks for the wig-getting on suggestions, Aurora and Steffi! Mine is a pantyhose type cap. I think part of the problem is like what you described, Steffi -- the fact that it's too large. I stuffed it with paper to help hahah. That and I don't think my hair holds anything very well, including curls. They came out within an hour at my wedding and at graduation. >____> I also needed to use my hair as a sort of bun thing to add extra bulk for the wig. I'll try out the pigtails instead to see if that works better though!

Arda is great -- that's the way I'm going -- their customer service is AMAZING and they're really helpful. There IS a way to adjust the size of the wig and there are tutorials out there (look for Envel's -- I'd do that had I more time) and the bangs are easily straightened with a hair straightener (and I'm such a noob at hair... well, I'm a noob to cosplay in general, lol) and with cutting... just cut little by little until you get something that works. Or, take it to a hair stylist and ask them to trim? I think the fiber quality and "ease" of the method makes it worth a try. UNLESS of course you want a bright yellow wig like I did... then don't go Arda... they don't have the pigtail wig in bright yellow and you'll end up sinking 2-3 weeks into RIT dyeing it. >_______>

(that's where all my time went and why I ran out of time. You're right, I otherwise had PLENTY of time. >_<) In retrospect, you might try hot-water straightening the fibers of an Innocent wig from Amphigory and use that as your base instead... I think it already has the straight bangs, and they have it in yellow yellow yellow. I think I might have researched more had I thought about it more than been enamored by Arda's amazing amazing customer service. Yeah, that's how amazing they were, I didn't even think of the other options from a competitor!

I did NOT think about fashion tape... I think I will try that to help hold the sidebangs on. brilliant!!

Hsien: *I* have a tummy. I'm otherwise slender, but I've been asked on more than one occasion by well-meaning patients how many months I am, etc. It also gets much more pronounced after I eat. I can look like probably something like 4-6 months pregnant after a full, full meal. No joke. :P I thought about it for a bit bit then I was like, "no way am I letting something like that come between me and my dream cosplay"

Last edited by Prissi : 06-15-2012 at 02:39 PM.
Unread 06-15-2012, 03:33 PM   #6492
Amidoji
Desert Chikin

Quote:
Originally Posted by x-Steffi-x View Post
As I said, the bangs aren't right and I don't want to sort them out as I probably won't have much time because I'm taking on commissions in the summer. But I'll think about it. Not a lot of people done the "Arda way" so I can't really get a variety of photos from different people in order to judge whether I'd like to do it or not. I just really dislike working with wigs and I have a budget focused so I can't afford to commission one.
I made a Serenity wig using Arda materials. I didn't however, use their premade buns. I bought the Chibi in Silver and one clip-on pony tail. The method I used is a bit more advanced than novice, but truth be told it's really not that bad. I followed a Youtube tutorial that can be found here: http://kingdom-arts.org/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=362

The wig I'm wearing as Queen Serenity in my gallery is not the one I made, it's the one my lovely Princess Serenity is wearing. ( http://www.cosplay.com/photo/3221072/ )
Amidoji is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-15-2012, 03:40 PM   #6493
x-Steffi-x
UK Cosplayer...x

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amidoji View Post
I made a Serenity wig using Arda materials. I didn't however, use their premade buns. I bought the Chibi in Silver and one clip-on pony tail. The method I used is a bit more advanced than novice, but truth be told it's really not that bad. I followed a Youtube tutorial that can be found here: http://kingdom-arts.org/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=362

The wig I'm wearing as Queen Serenity in my gallery is not the one I made, it's the one my lovely Princess Serenity is wearing. ( http://www.cosplay.com/photo/3221072/ )
Again, worried about the wig being too big and I have a really small head, haha ^^;
I've watched that tutorial, it's great, but I hate working with wigs and rather either buy them, or get them commissioned (which might not be an option this time, depends on whether I get a job this summer!)

But thanks for the suggestions!

Good like Prissi with trying things out and can't wait to see the final outcome! c:

Unread 06-15-2012, 07:22 PM   #6494
MirniMausi
Just live more

Sewing the net of the wig itself together might help? I've only seen that on a tutorial to make Chibiusas pigtails, but it should also work when you want to adjust the size of a wig. Might be worth a try.
I had an adjustable universal size-wig, it had a small kind of belt on the net, so you could pull it together on your head.

And I'd suggest not to do the styling alone, because when you do the pigtails, the net will be pulled up- someone needs to hold it in the meantime.

~Up Next~
Unread 06-17-2012, 01:19 PM   #6495
x-Steffi-x
UK Cosplayer...x

I've finally decided on a wig and just purchased it - hopefully it'll look alright! I need to get some more bun nets cos I've run out!
Squee, I can work on my cosplay on Tuesday!! Got my last exam on Tuesday morning (scared to death about it) and then I'm free to look for my first proper full-time job (only ever had two part time ones)! Then I won't be so poor