Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Photography > Photo Critique

Unread 06-15-2012, 12:07 PM   #1
Darc-G

Photos Critique & Comments

Hi, not exactly new to photography but wanted some critique and comments on some cosplay photography I attempted this past weekend at AnimeNext.
I've taken pics at other conventions but nothing too serious since it's usually a crowded mess (NYC Comic Con/anime festival) but animenext was a slightly bit more tame with some quiet spots so I decided to give some photos a more serious go.
The diffused look is intentional and something I did in post. Please tell me what you think.

AnimeNext - Amaimon by Darc G, on Flickr

AnimeNext - Cammy by Darc G, on Flickr

AnimeNext - Nelliel by Darc G, on Flickr

AnimeNext - Yoko & Link by Darc G, on Flickr
5. Had some PS fun with this one, I stumbled upon.

AnimNext by Darc G, on Flickr

The full set from animenext can be found here
http://www.flickr.com/photos/darcg/s...7630041005935/
Some are serious tries other are just snapshots.

Thanks in advance for the critique and comments. Cosplay Photography is something I think I like and can have fun with and may look into really getting into it.
Darc-G is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 06-15-2012, 11:37 PM   #2
wasabiprodution
Yaoi-MAN

first four are amazing with great composition, but try and remember the rule of thirds and youll be better off. the last photo is a bit busy but i love it. great job.

on the fourth you couldve tried and move a bit to get the sword in and not have it cropped.

other than that great lighting!

A dying scream makes no sound.
wasabiprodution is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-16-2012, 01:26 AM   #3
skuggi

Pretty cool,

with pic 5 I'd have just got everyone to move away from the background and had everyone stand a little more in line to get their full bodies in frame.

pic 3 would be awesome with a second strobe to get the shadows off, or even a simple diffuser just to soften them up a bit. Those hard lines really pop out.
skuggi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-16-2012, 01:50 AM   #4
Darc-G

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasabiprodution View Post
first four are amazing with great composition, but try and remember the rule of thirds and youll be better off. the last photo is a bit busy but i love it. great job.

on the fourth you couldve tried and move a bit to get the sword in and not have it cropped.

other than that great lighting!
Thanks!
For the 4th, at the time I had 70-200 on and didn't have room to step back and keep people out the frame, it did annoy me also that I couldn't get the whole sword. I'll really want to try this sometime in a more controlled enviornment one day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skuggi View Post
Pretty cool,

with pic 5 I'd have just got everyone to move away from the background and had everyone stand a little more in line to get their full bodies in frame.

pic 3 would be awesome with a second strobe to get the shadows off, or even a simple diffuser just to soften them up a bit. Those hard lines really pop out.
Thanks also!
For 5 I just stumbled on that group posing so I snuck that shot in, so many people vying for their attention I couldn't get them away to do what you suggested because I was kinda thinking the same thing. When/if I get the time I might get down and dirty in PS and see if I can clean up the background or composite them somewhere else.
As for 3, yeah I wish I had a diffuser, all I had was a buddy and my remote trigger so I had him hold the bare speedlight and play lightstand for me in most of these pics. I think I'm going to try bring one of those speedlight softboxes if possible next (and once again get my buddy to play lightstand )
Darc-G is offline   Reply With Quote