Go Back   Cosplay.com > US Convention Forums > AMē

Unread 06-16-2012, 01:15 PM   #1
Hime no Toki
NiGHTmaren
Modoka Magica

AM2 2012: Feedback Thread

This thread is for posting your thoughts/opinions on AM2 2012!

From your experience this year, what were the pros and cons? What were the highlights and lowlights? Would you return again next year?

Also, you can discuss the particulars of the convention, such as the events, panels, masquerade, dances, etc., as well as what you thought about the con and hotel staff, the hotel, convention space, food, dealer's room, attendees, and whatever else pertaining to this year's AM2!

Remember to make your commentary polite and keep things civil!

2014 - Upcoming Conventions :
Anime Weekend Atlanta (GA) - FandomCon (FL)

Upcoming costumes : Suzie Q from JoJo's Bizarre Adventure, Edea Lee (various versions) from Bravely Default, and more!

http://www.facebook.com/NiGHTmarenCosplay
Hime no Toki is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 06-16-2012, 11:31 PM   #2
jambreaker
Narrator for Bad Mimes

Couldn't find the FullMetal Alchemist cosplay gathering -- others also were trying to fond gatherings but no centralized info ...
Unread 06-17-2012, 08:28 PM   #3
sicdedman
SicLeatherFace

for my 1st year attending both the ACC & AM2

Con's

I did not like ACC at all. i don't know why i just did not like it.

There were no Autograph Session Times for Day 2-3. (I know they give out the 1st Autograph session time After the PANEL you attend. but Sessions after that they don't announce

have to walk ALL the way down the street for food, except for a small food court in the Exhibit hall.

few other things i did not care for at Am2 but they are tiny stupid gripes that are not worth me mentioning.

where the Stage for performances were held, did not seem to work out to well. a Few Artists Alley Exhibitors were not very happy and left very Dirty Notes on their Tables about the problem.... i almost threw away one note after reading what it said but i did not want to touch it...

also about the Stage Performances, the Convention Staff or whatever, tried to shut down LUCID during their performance because they were being to loud.. because there was another Convention group or something going on, the other side of the wall....

Pro's:

The Passport was helpful,very Well put together word wise and Durability wise. i snagged it acouple times on backpack and tables ect. and it did not rip,tear,nothing help together Extremely well, (PROPS) for who put them together.

Fashion GOH (Sixh & Futumayo) they were Awesome, very nice answered any and all questions you had for them. Futumayo was my favorite! he ALWAYS has a Smile on his face!!

The Exhibit halls had some good Exhibitors,i wish i could have spent for than $18 at the Exhibit hall but money is still tight.

Artist Alley looked great did not walk through all of it but everyone looked like they were having a good time.

the Summer Festival Games were cool.the prize table was cool as well!

The Autograph Session Staff Members were AWESOME!!! ALL the STAFF at the Session's were Very Kind and will to answer any questions i had. they kept in contact with each other and everything looked like it ran smoothly over the weekend, i would know because i spent Almost my Whole time in the Autograph Lines LOL. very Cool Staff Members (10 stars out of 10)

All in all i would have to say.... there is a 75% chance i will be back next year.
PMX 2014 *8th Year* *3rd Year Staff* -- Loscon 2014 *3rd Year Staff*
sicdedman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-18-2012, 01:02 AM   #4
SironaSelkie

So this was my second year at AM2 and I was very happy with it! We only went for the morning of day 3 last time so it was a lot less busy which might have skewed my perspective a bit... anyway... pros and cons (mixed together since they are semi connected):

I like the idea that autograph sessions are right after the panel and that panel people get priority. It always bugged me that at other cons panel goers had a disadvantage with autographs. The one problem however, is that I couldn't find autograph info anywhere online! This means I entirely missed both sessions for the VA I wanted to meet. I got lucky enough that he stuck around after his second panel to let people bother him for signatures and photos, but I feel that it would be much better to have this info readily available.

Another experience that brought up memories of past cons was looking for the lost and found. My friend misplaced and item and didn't realize until we were leaving con around 9 or so at night. We went back to find out where it might be returned and had a difficult time getting to someone that could actually talk to con operations. After much stress on her part we were told that we can't physically get to con ops ourselves but that the staff member would radio down to ask about the item. Turns out it hadn't been turned in yet so we were able to leave out info on a post it. On the good side, it turned up later that night and we were emailed early the next morning and able to pick it up. It still caused some trouble to not be able to talk directly to con ops, however, and I feel that either the con ops room should be accessible to the public (as it was at another con where I had an issue and needed to talk to someone in charge of things) or there needs to be more people with access/radios or whatever even further into the night so that such frustrations can't happen. I realize that time probably seemed longer due to the stress we were feeling over the lost item, but I hope that no one else has to go through that.

Finally, I realize that gatherings are usually fan run, but I am hoping that as the con grows we can have an official gathering list or at least a map of official gathering locations as it would make things a lot easier to find and would keep gatherings out of the way of traffic.

A final thing that I dont' see as a particular pro or con, but just something that I appreciate and love: the fact that badges are optional and more of a plus than a necessity. It made me a lot more willing to roam and connect with people as I felt less limited on where I could go without spending a bunch of money for a full weekend ticket. I realize this system might not stick around as the convention grows bigger but I hope it stays for as long as possible!

Thank you for a fantastic convention experience! I can't wait to see what AM2 can improve and offer next year and I will certainly be back.
SironaSelkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-18-2012, 02:03 AM   #5
Makira
Show me where ya noms at.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sicdedman View Post
for my 1st year attending both the ACC & AM2

Con's

have to walk ALL the way down the street for food, except for a small food court in the Exhibit hall.
All the way down the street? O.o there was a big foot court if you stepped right outside the convention and walked across the way to the building of the hotel. There was like 5 or 6 options inside and they were all directly across the way from walking out the doors to the convention. Maybe you missed it But maybe that can give it an extra "pro" for you if food is closer ^^

I personally love ACC. It's roomy, outside area has lots of photo opportunities. The rooms are nice, exhibit all is great. I still hate paying for parking, $12 no re-entry always pisses me off, but it is what it is I guess.

Only con I *really* have is not having a cosplay repair center. But that isn't even really a big deal since I am responsible for my own shit. It's just nice to have at AX, so we get a bit spoiled =P But that really didn't make or break my day, and they actually had a little roll of tape to try and help out, which, actually solved my problem as a temp fix anyway.

Staff was great and very polite. Even the "normals" that were walking around on Saturday for what I think was a soccer game? They were even pretty nice and seemed generally interested in what the hell was going on. Some people gave odd stares, but no one was rude.

I really wish AX would move back here, I loved it when it was here. Hopefully after LA this year they come back home!
Social Cosplay- http://www.socialcos.com/profile/41
Youtube- http://www.youtube.com/user/MissMakira

Cons- AM2, Anime Expo 2012, Anime Vegas 2012, Animegacon 2012
Makira is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-18-2012, 06:13 AM   #6
sicdedman
SicLeatherFace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Makira View Post
All the way down the street? O.o there was a big foot court if you stepped right outside the convention and walked across the way to the building of the hotel. There was like 5 or 6 options inside and they were all directly across the way from walking out the doors to the convention. Maybe you missed it But maybe that can give it an extra "pro" for you if food is closer ^^

yea, i did not bother walking across the way to check that building out. i just walked inside the convention center it's self. believe me a lot of other people did not realize that food court area was there as well cause someone griped about it at CON FEEDBACK Sunday morning as well. so yea more people than just me never knew it was there.

i brought my own food anyways so to me no big deal,but my friends were like Foooooood lol
PMX 2014 *8th Year* *3rd Year Staff* -- Loscon 2014 *3rd Year Staff*
sicdedman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-18-2012, 10:27 AM   #7
Chaye
The <3 Means It's Cannon

Gosh we had a ton of fun. I really enjoyed this con. I do have a few things though.

1. The dance should have been in a bigger room. The room was way too small so if one dance circle started no one else could dance due to the small space.

2. The dance should have been open later. Dances are so much more fun when you aren't getting kicked out when the night has barely started. It was really disappointing to have to leave at 11pm and then get kicked out of the convention center shortly after that. Conventions and night life go hand in hand!

3. I don't know if I was just blind, but I never saw a map on display. We couldn't find the karaoke room because we never saw a map. We did ask around but most people told us "it's over that way". We just never found it.

4. The location was awesome. There was food in convenient locations and nothing was too far to walk to (Denny's at 2am baby!). We even got to watch the Disneyland fireworks from outside the convention center! It was a lot of fun! It being a free con made it really convenient since it was between two large cons. I really can't wait to come back next year!
Unread 06-18-2012, 10:42 AM   #8
chibirodan

Quote:
Only con I *really* have is not having a cosplay repair center. But that isn't even really a big deal since I am responsible for my own shit. It's just nice to have at AX, so we get a bit spoiled =P But that really didn't make or break my day, and they actually had a little roll of tape to try and help out, which, actually solved my problem as a temp fix anyway.
They did have a repair center they had a whole glorious room dedicated to repair. Some people were even making their costumes in the room. Anyway yeah it was just didn't have a very visible sign.
chibirodan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-18-2012, 10:56 AM   #9
Chaye
The <3 Means It's Cannon

Quote:
Originally Posted by chibirodan View Post
They did have a repair center they had a whole glorious room dedicated to repair. Some people were even making their costumes in the room. Anyway yeah it was just didn't have a very visible sign.
I never saw that room either. Better signage would have help to direct to there. I know my friend could have used it when she had a problem with her outfit.
Unread 06-18-2012, 11:21 AM   #10
Makira

Quote:
Originally Posted by chibirodan View Post
Are you serious??!? I went to information and asked them and they told me "We don't have one, but we have a roll of tape you can use."

Alright, well. I'll add one more con then... information center not knowing information D:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sicdedman View Post
yea, i did not bother walking across the way to check that building out. i just walked inside the convention center it's self. believe me a lot of other people did not realize that food court area was there as well cause someone griped about it at CON FEEDBACK Sunday morning as well. so yea more people than just me never knew it was there.

i brought my own food anyways so to me no big deal,but my friends were like Foooooood lol
Ah. I went in there because I saw other cosplayers wandering in and coming out with food while I was outside, haha. So I guess I just got lucky by noticing. But! If you go next year, at least you know food is close !

Unread 06-18-2012, 11:39 AM   #11
RoMayDrako
Happy Now?

Pros:

Well it wasn't AS boring as I thought it was going to be, and the grand otaku debate made it worth it. Artist alley was amazingly large, and there were actually a lot more cosplayers this year. Host club, you gatta love host club. Rose Achademy (sp?) was fun too. Food, clean bathrooms.

Cons:
Well no concerts cept techncally 1 since I bought the pass under the premice that concerts where going to be passport only.

Cancelations and no shows.

Fri: Special Effects Make up for cosplay - only her assistant showed, apperently she was stuck in traffic in Long Beach. Guy tried his best giving a duck tape conversation but still sad I didn't see it happen.

Nyan Chan's meet and greet. First off it moved with out any notice, second off it took them a half and hour to tell me I was the only one. ONLY ONE! Not the only female the only person, my friend amusngly signed me up on my birthday. If they would have told me sooner I would have bolted back to host club. But guess it wasn't to bad my friend got the host to herself once I was gone. Still I am going to suffer with the forever alone teasing because of this.

Making of Live action video games: YEAH that was just awkward sitting in a room with some people waiting silently for nothing to happen.

Speaking of panels Japanese Mythological beasties and ghoast should have been given more time. People where really getting into that when staff walked in and reminded her to end it soon.

Friday I only stayed for the Grand Otaku debate finals before I went home it was just to boreing. Maybe I am just to used to a lively conventions. Also I agree with above, I saw where the dance was held and even I had to go WTF? Bet you the business convention across the hall that was going on at the same time enjoyed the music. Yup, there was a business meeting going on Saturday when the dance started. It let out shortly past 7.

(PS: Thought that was you Makira but I was to chicken to approach you and ask. Well not really chicken rather didn't want to say "Are you from cosplay dot com?" and have nothing else to say. You look better in real life then your photos BTW)

Last edited by RoMayDrako : 06-18-2012 at 11:43 AM.
RoMayDrako is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-18-2012, 11:48 AM   #12
Makira

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoMayDrako View Post

(PS: Thought that was you Makira but I was to chicken to approach you and ask. Well not really chicken rather didn't want to say "Are you from cosplay dot com?" and have nothing else to say. You look better in real life then your photos BTW)
Haha you should have said hi Someone else did, except I didn't hear them right, LOL. "Are you Makira?" Me- "No, I'm Rikku!" I swear I didn't hear Makira come out of his mouth, hahahaa. Wrote me later telling me the story and I was like akwaaaaaaaaaard, my bad!

And bwuhahahahahah. I hope that doesn't mean my pictures are BAD. But thank you xD I feel the exact same way whenever I look at a photo VS myself in the mirror.

Unread 06-18-2012, 11:53 AM   #13
RoMayDrako
Happy Now?

Quote:
Haha you should have said hi Someone else did, except I didn't hear them right, LOL. "Are you Makira?" Me- "No, I'm Rikku!" I swear I didn't hear Makira come out of his mouth, hahahaa. Wrote me later telling me the story and I was like akwaaaaaaaaaard, my bad!

And bwuhahahahahah. I hope that doesn't mean my pictures are BAD. But thank you xD I feel the exact same way whenever I look at a photo VS myself in the mirror.
That's alright I look at myself in photos and pray to god I don't look like that in real life. XD Though surpised my jelly rolls don't show more in the picture one user took... ... Didn't notice my skirt slipped down that low-oups.

And no that doesn't mean your pictures are bad. If you saw a horrible anko running around on day 1 and 2 that was me.

And you feel bad about missing someone using your name, someone started to point out Anko's hair was purple not black and I didn't realize that was someone from the AM2 forum trying in his own way to say hi... Unfortuanly he tried this in the otaku debate room. XD
Unread 06-18-2012, 12:13 PM   #14
Makira

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoMayDrako View Post
That's alright I look at myself in photos and pray to god I don't look like that in real life. XD Though surpised my jelly rolls don't show more in the picture one user took... ... Didn't notice my skirt slipped down that low-oups.

And no that doesn't mean your pictures are bad. If you saw a horrible anko running around on day 1 and 2 that was me.

And you feel bad about missing someone using your name, someone started to point out Anko's hair was purple not black and I didn't realize that was someone from the AM2 forum trying in his own way to say hi... Unfortuanly he tried this in the otaku debate room. XD
Yeah, some photos I see people take of me I'm just like "NO, BURN IT!! BURN ITTTTTTTT!!"

And, hahahah xD Oh god. Those lovely awkward moments. Ah well, that's what makes life more exciting!

Unread 06-19-2012, 05:51 PM   #15
sHiNHaWk
Tame Racing Driver

I'm hoping in the future, the console gaming room and its neighbors for that con such as Blue Rose Academy and the lounges can be moved out of the exhibit hall and into their own rooms. After the exhibit hall closed and with it, the console gaming area, I found myself with very little activities left to take part it. I'm hoping at the very least that console gaming can get its own room in the convention center just like tabletop gaming got it's own room.