Go Back   Cosplay.com > Canada Convention Forums > Anime North

Closed Thread
Unread 06-19-2012, 03:15 PM   #331
DropsOfRain

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftshadow666 View Post
Also I remember it being announced that time was running low and we had to hurry. Is it possible to get a slightly longer time? If not is it possible to have the game played prior to the event so we are not waiting for the players to think of the move? If you pre decide who is going to stand where then you can just have a list of the moves to announce who is moving where. You could still have two people sit there and move the pieces accordingly on a board so the audience thinks its being played for the first time. This would mean there was less of a chance to run out of time and more time to concentrate on the performance.
I watched the Sailor Moon game, my suggestion would be to have the game pre-planned as well. Not due to the time being almost up (I think it ran pretty much on time?), but rather from a pacing standpoint. I found that, from the viewer's perspective, there were long-ish stretches of time where not much interesting was happening, and then all of a sudden stuff happened. Mind you, I know some of this was due to technical difficulties, and I know that there need to be some down times between the action and battles. However I feel that if the game were planned out in advance and the announcers were in the know, it would help cut down on the confusion and down time.

Quote:
You could have time to bring a mic up to the 2 players facing each other and let them say something before battle. A taunt or something that fits the character personality. Something like an RPG where the characters often comment before and after the battle.

I should probably state that until now I had not realized coin had suggested the talking thing. I kind of only skimmed the post due to the cluster of words.
Another one liking this idea. They did this a little bit with the Sailor Moon game, maybe a little more banter right before battle?

My only other comments/suggestions... I thought Chibi and the male host of the Sailor Moon game (I'm sorry, I forgot his name!) did a great job role-playing, and I felt the fellow did a great job of breathing life into the game. He's great at what he does, to him I say, "keep doing what you're doing!" Which is not to say that everybody else was lack-luster - on the contrary, it was a great game and everyone did a great job. I just wanted to give a special shout-out to the fellow.

Unread 06-19-2012, 03:38 PM   #332
Vessa-Sushi
The Best kind of Sushi.

It will be a discussion thread to start. We can't do sign ups until we know the who/what/when/where/how of the event, which we won't know the answers for most of that for a few months at least. We will be moving, as we need to, off the cosplay.com forums on onto the new AN forums which are currently being set up.

222Coin222 - All ideas are usually welcome, as long as they aren't malicious, and yours are not I wouldn't worry about us event coordinators thinking you are power tripping
poo flinger! FLING!
Unread 06-19-2012, 03:54 PM   #333
Maxykun
Best Pawn Ever

Ok, thanks for the clarification Vessa (I know I pm'd you the exact same question but figured re-ask it here so others know exactly what's going on too).

Hopefully the new forums will have a good design/layout, it might give it some more traffic.
Unread 06-19-2012, 03:57 PM   #334
Vessa-Sushi
The Best kind of Sushi.

I will also post the link here, as well as make sure the link to the new forums is posted wherever need be.

~Vessa
poo flinger! FLING!
Unread 06-19-2012, 04:11 PM   #335
Neko Cat
Viral Cosplayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vessa-Sushi View Post
Hola folks!

Just so everyone is aware, the next year thread will be posted probably next month in the new AN forums which are currently in the works.

Feedback from players and audience is most welcome, and if you happen to have suggestions for problems you found, please feel free to post them. If someone starts to poo poo on your thoughts and opinions, just ignore them. Everyone is entitled to their opinion, even under misinformation and miscommunication (or not). Life goes on, no need to sweat it ^.^

~Vessa
I really don't like that idea at all. I know in the past people complained signups weren't on the AN forums but if they have them there only then people that are used to them being on here will complain. I think they should have signups on both sites that way no one complains and everyone is happy or do you mean signups are still going to be on this site but the thread for next month will be something else on that site?
Unread 06-19-2012, 04:22 PM   #336
Chibi Lenne
Ghoulia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neko Cat View Post
I really don't like that idea at all. I know in the past people complained signups weren't on the AN forums but if they have them there only then people that are used to them being on here will complain. I think they should have signups on both sites that way no one complains and everyone is happy or do you mean signups are still going to be on this site but the thread for next month will be something else on that site?
Unfortunately, we tried having sign ups on both boards several years ago, it just doesn't work, its too hard to enact the 'first come first serve' policy we've had. As for sign ups migrating, the cosplay.com forums are not an official source for AN information even if we have been using it in the past for the games. The forums are being cleaned up so non-cosplay related threads will eventually be removed, which I imagine will include threads relating to the sign up of AN events.

That being said, they are moving, it's not like you're not getting any warning, we'll be posting the link long before any kind of sign ups start up, and when the new forums are up, people can sign up there, it's simple as that. Its the only way the event coordinators can have complete control over the thread for posting and moderation and to slow down the flow of misinformation (it was bad this year for that).

2015 Cosplay Plans
Queen Odette / surprise?? / Madam Vastra
Follow me on Facebook for more updates
Costume Con 35 Will be RETURNING to Toronto 2017!!
Unread 06-19-2012, 06:37 PM   #337
Neko Cat
Viral Cosplayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chibi Lenne View Post
Unfortunately, we tried having sign ups on both boards several years ago, it just doesn't work, its too hard to enact the 'first come first serve' policy we've had. As for sign ups migrating, the cosplay.com forums are not an official source for AN information even if we have been using it in the past for the games. The forums are being cleaned up so non-cosplay related threads will eventually be removed, which I imagine will include threads relating to the sign up of AN events.

That being said, they are moving, it's not like you're not getting any warning, we'll be posting the link long before any kind of sign ups start up, and when the new forums are up, people can sign up there, it's simple as that. Its the only way the event coordinators can have complete control over the thread for posting and moderation and to slow down the flow of misinformation (it was bad this year for that).
It's too bad they are moving them. I just had a feeling the people that are usually used to it being on here will just complain anyway that they don't have an account on the other site. Anyway to me I always thought of cosplay chess as a cosplay related event (after all it does have cosplay in it's name). Will it be possible to ask people that have accounts on the other site to sign us up on the other one then or to message whoever is running it on here?

Last edited by Neko Cat : 06-19-2012 at 06:42 PM.
Unread 06-19-2012, 07:49 PM   #338
swiftshadow666

Another idea for drawing the audience in, and I apologize if this was done in the sailor moon one as I did not see it, is to have an announcer ( one with an awesome deep narrator voice) Start the match off with narrating a story of why these characters are there fighting each other. Ok order vs chaos. Ya sure we know they are enemies but why are they at this location mingled together. Is there an ultimate power source they are fighting to control? Why?

I find the narrator with the right voice can make something awesome. Has anyone ever seen any of the video previews for white knight chronicles that were available off the playstation network? I bought the game because the narrator sounded awesome in them. I think once the theme is set out we need a story to announce to the audience about why these events are happening. If you guys like I would even be willing to write it once the theme is decided.

Another suggestion, and I mentioned this to chibi in a pm, I was thinking maybe after you guys tape down the board, you could then tape a different shape into each square. When the announcer tells a piece to move they could then say move forward two steps and left one onto the triangle. I found some people had trouble figuring out where to go. Especially after the took a piece in battle, alot of people were unsure where the piece had been standing. That might make it easier on players.
Unread 06-19-2012, 08:55 PM   #339
Gohan Som

Yeah I had that space problem a lot. That's why I am aiming to be a rook next year. Lot's of usefullness but simple movements. As for the pre played game idea. I'm not super sure if I like that. I think that those moments where the game is in development and the tension is high are some of the best parts of the game. It also gives the MC more time to have some fun and interview people.
Unread 06-20-2012, 11:46 PM   #340
Maxykun
Best Pawn Ever

Quote:
I was thinking maybe after you guys tape down the board, you could then tape a different shape into each square. When the announcer tells a piece to move they could then say move forward two steps and left one onto the triangle. I found some people had trouble figuring out where to go. Especially after the took a piece in battle, alot of people were unsure where the piece had been standing. That might make it easier on players.
In theory that doesn't sound like a bad idea.
Unread 10-20-2012, 02:53 AM   #341
222Coin222

Hey guys it's me again. Just letting the people who are in charge know that I'm still checking in from time to time and looking for any updates (if and when they happen) because I'm more than willing and able to be Wesker again for 2013's cosplay chess if in the event they wanted a degree of continuity. I know sign-ups aren't up yet but it's just some food for thought. -C.
Unread 11-07-2012, 03:39 PM   #342
Gohan Som

You and me both. I know sign ups are not until march I believe I really don't want to miss them and epically since there is going to be a different forum for them if that is still going. I probably won't even pick my Saturday cosplay until I know what the theme for chess is so I can fit it.
Unread 11-07-2012, 08:04 PM   #343
MissDevilsJuly
Erza loves you all <3

I wanna play again to!
Unread 11-13-2012, 04:19 PM   #344
Gohan Som

Quote:
Originally Posted by 222Coin222 View Post
Hey guys it's me again. Just letting the people who are in charge know that I'm still checking in from time to time and looking for any updates (if and when they happen) because I'm more than willing and able to be Wesker again for 2013's cosplay chess if in the event they wanted a degree of continuity. I know sign-ups aren't up yet but it's just some food for thought. -C.
I really like that idea of adding continuity. We could make cosplay chess into it's own series. At the start of every game we could tell the plot of the game. For example say next year we do Underdogs vs Dominators we could open with this.

"When Mewtwo grew angry with the way that humans ruled over each other he vowed to bring in an era of chaos. Aided by an army he almost bought death to the world. Thankfully due to the efforts of captain Wesker and his team of fighters Mewtwo was captured and his chaos squad defeated. Wesker declared himself the god of the new world and issued in a new reign of peace. He formed a team of the best fighters in the world to defend it. Well some considered it an era of peace others considered it an era of tyranny. People grew to hate a world where the strong ruled and began to resent Wesker. Fearing another rebellion Wesker held a tournament for the fate of the land. Uniting his domination squad to represent him in the tournament they intend to do battle with the alliance of untested fighters. Can these young worriers bring justice back to the land. Let's find out."
Unread 11-13-2012, 09:40 PM   #345
Chibi Lenne
Ghoulia

Hey you guys!!

It's good to see all of you and your enthusiasm, but let's leave the story writing (if any) to me n' Vessa okay? lol. Continuity is an awesome thing and the only thing that has less continuity than Chess is an episode of Glee. Don't worry we've got some things in the works for another awesome year, just give us some time, it is only November after all lol

Cheers!
Chibi

2015 Cosplay Plans
Queen Odette / surprise?? / Madam Vastra
Follow me on Facebook for more updates
Costume Con 35 Will be RETURNING to Toronto 2017!!
Closed Thread