Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Wigs and Hair

Unread 06-19-2012, 03:17 PM   #1
SunsetSovereign

Dying methods and Seller advice

So Im trying to get the perfect shade of purple for a Rarity wig. I havent found one for sale thats a shade I like. Im scared to sharpie dye because I tried dying gloves purple using this method and the ink from the marker actually turns an obnoxious shade of pink after it cures.

I discovered a mixture of acrylic paint and water and was wondering if anyone has tried this before. Does it work? Does the color stay or does it run in rain/sweat? Ive gotten acrylic paint on clothes before and I know it doesnt come out.

Something else I was considering was the boxed hair dye. My local walmart/cvs has a box of hair dye thats a pretty decent shade of purple. Would this work on a white or blond wig? I know its meant for human hair and kanekalon fiber is a bit different.

My last resort option is purchasing a wig. I found one on ebay that would suffice, but Im always wary of sellers (especially with wigs.) Does anyone know if laurawu_123 is a reliable seller?

Sorry for the words post, but I like to be sure of things before I jump into them.

Unread 06-19-2012, 04:50 PM   #2
animenerd93
Neko Neko Chi CHi

I don't kno bout the other methods, but I do know box hair due won't work as it is made to grab onto the stuff in human hair not wigs. I've heard of using rit dye!
RapMonster- BTS N.O
fem!Ravi- VIXX Hyde
Hyuk- VIXX Voodoo Doll
animenerd93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-19-2012, 04:59 PM   #3
AshofRebirth

Nononononono human hair dye will not work on wigs. Wigs are plastic.

I support Loose Cannons Props! And you should too!
AshofRebirth is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-19-2012, 07:33 PM   #4
novaraven1

there are a few mlp themed wigs at the five wits wig site. I think the one called "generous fashion mane hairflip" is for rarity tho I'm not really up on my ponies.

For a long wig you're definitely better off buying one thats close to the colour you need rather than dying it. Dye changes the texture of the wig and makes it more prone to static and tangling issues. It's also a lot of extra work and expense ontop of the price of your wig.

If you really need to dye it, get a kankelon or elora fiber wig in as close to white as you can and try the alcohol/fw ink method. its easiest to mix shades of colours more precisely by mixing your ink colours first before you add them to the alcohol and spray them in the wig.

please remember to use good ventilation and gloves and a mask when you're doing this stuff. It's definitely not healthy for you even tho it might say "non toxic" on the ink label. They only really mean 'not going to kill you right away with limited exposure if you use this product as it was intended'. Dying wigs is definitely not the intended use for coloured acrylic artist inks. ^^;
Unread 06-19-2012, 10:30 PM   #5
SunsetSovereign

Thanks everyone!