Go Back   Cosplay.com > US Convention Forums > Anime Mid-Atlantic

Reply
Thread Tools Rate Thread
Unread 06-19-2012, 01:14 PM   #1
Shastar
Your Hero and Icon!
 
Shastar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 289
Anime Mid-Atlantic Feedback Thread

Wow, I'm surprised that one isn't up here yet. I'll go ahead and get one started.

What did you like? What didn't you like? What can we do to make the con experience better for you?
__________________
-Big Danny T
Katsucon XX Masquerade coordinator.
Shastar is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Unread 06-19-2012, 01:43 PM   #2
Crusader_8
Ask me about my name
 
Crusader_8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 2,042
For me, personally? I'd like to see a dedicated artist alley. There are plenty of advantages in using that hallway for artist booths. Unfortunately, when it's hugging the primary route to everything important (dealer's room especially), headaches ensue. This problem is also agitated by cosplay photo requests which pop up in those hallways, since there is already a big space crunch. Artists just need their own room next year, hands down. I understand there isn't too much space at this venue, but I believe it can be made possible.

One iddy-biddy letdown for me was the poor selection in the video game room. I don't like that half the tables are dedicated to modern games which can be played online already, which doesn't make the best use for a room like that. No offense to shooter fans, but I heavily dislike the majority of TV's being wasted on Halo, Gears, L4D, CoD, etc, when chances are one is already playing these games at home all the time with strangers or friends online. So if you know anyone who can talk to the men and women who operate the video game room, ask them if there's any way the room can be used for more games that give us a reason to play in the same room. Good examples would be games like Rock Band, or games with no online functionality such as Guilty Gear or older arcade brawler games. There simply needs to be more variety!
__________________
Tetris DX top score - 02,323,878 points/1501 lines
Tetris DS top score - 11,014,897 points
Anime Mid-Atlantic is the next beast! Choose your cosplay now!

Coming soon - my most patriotic costume yet, Captain America!

Cosplays on the Drawing board -
Sam Flynn
Optimus Prime
Black Jack
Crusader_8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-20-2012, 12:56 AM   #3
JonathonWolf
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 271
I can see your frustrations with the Artist Alley setup. Unfortunately, I doubt it will be changed back to a dedicated room. My understanding is that the artists have found that having the tables in the hallway like that helps their sales and name distribution. My experience with them is that it doesn't greatly hinder the crowd flow. Taking cosplay photos is more of an etiquette issue. I know Otakon has a dedicated room for Artist's Alley, and they also have problems with people choosing to stop cosplayers in the middle of tight hallway. If photographers would move to open areas, they wouldn't create clogs. And there are several places where that can be down along AMA's Artist Alley setup.

The issue with the games is something that I know the head of the gaming company is aware of, and he is handling it. There are other issues with the setup that you wouldn't know about, and he wasn't happy when he saw those either. Next year should be a lot better.
JonathonWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-20-2012, 01:24 AM   #4
Crusader_8
Ask me about my name
 
Crusader_8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 2,042
okay well that's all I had to say, everything else was a splendid cup of great weekend!
__________________
Tetris DX top score - 02,323,878 points/1501 lines
Tetris DS top score - 11,014,897 points
Anime Mid-Atlantic is the next beast! Choose your cosplay now!

Coming soon - my most patriotic costume yet, Captain America!

Cosplays on the Drawing board -
Sam Flynn
Optimus Prime
Black Jack
Crusader_8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-20-2012, 02:12 AM   #5
JonathonWolf
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 271
Glad you enjoyed the weekend. I actually enjoy responding to complaints because I know how I'd feel. And I know that getting official responses not only make you feel like your concerns are being addressed, but also that your concerns matter. And the concerns of all the attendees do matter; everything that gets suggested or brought to our attention gets some consideration. You guys make AMA the great con it is, and we know it.
JonathonWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-20-2012, 02:44 AM   #6
dizzylizzy
I sew things
 
dizzylizzy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Posts: 1,832
Gaming-
Just tossing this in, if you need variety to be supplied, I have a lot of systems and games. Classics (like Sega Master System/8bit Nintendo, Sega Genesis, Intellivision, Dreamcast...) and fun imports (Parapara, Poppin' Music, Beatmania, Taiko Drum....) that I don't mind bringing to the con to be set up in the room. My husband and I collect systems and games.

As an AA person, but not for this con, I enjoy the location. I know it's guaranteed traffic for them and $$. Perhaps I've been to one too many cons because I didn't find the area overly packed.

Dealer's Room
A better marked "Entrance", "Exit" or "No Exit" would be good. Trouble entering with people pouring out of the entrance. When leaving, I went out a side door on Sunday and was reprimanded like a child after exiting. I didn't know it wasn't allowed to be used.

Cosplay/HCC
Staff was great, but I might be bias.

Panels
I loved knowing far in advance when and where the panels were going to be so that I could plan accordingly without having to rush around the week before. I also was able to promote the panels well before hand.

Was there an Art Show this year? I never came across it in my travels.
__________________
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Excuse me, Please and Thank You will get you far in life.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Dizzy...49665061805445
dizzylizzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-20-2012, 10:49 AM   #7
VincentMagius
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 6
Gaming - The person that handles that has a wide variety of games and systems. For liability reasons, we can't really borrow anything. What happens if it walks off?

Art Show - I think that was in one of the Restaurant rooms. The room to the right between the bar and the buffet.

Dealer's Room - We could probably do some signs at eye-level, at least for not-an-exit doors. They may be ignored like a lot of signs in everyday life, but they are there.
VincentMagius is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-20-2012, 04:07 PM   #8
JonathonWolf
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 271
Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzylizzy View Post
Gaming-
Just tossing this in, if you need variety to be supplied, I have a lot of systems and games. Classics (like Sega Master System/8bit Nintendo, Sega Genesis, Intellivision, Dreamcast...) and fun imports (Parapara, Poppin' Music, Beatmania, Taiko Drum....) that I don't mind bringing to the con to be set up in the room. My husband and I collect systems and games.

As an AA person, but not for this con, I enjoy the location. I know it's guaranteed traffic for them and $$. Perhaps I've been to one too many cons because I didn't find the area overly packed.

Dealer's Room
A better marked "Entrance", "Exit" or "No Exit" would be good. Trouble entering with people pouring out of the entrance. When leaving, I went out a side door on Sunday and was reprimanded like a child after exiting. I didn't know it wasn't allowed to be used.

Cosplay/HCC
Staff was great, but I might be bias.

Panels
I loved knowing far in advance when and where the panels were going to be so that I could plan accordingly without having to rush around the week before. I also was able to promote the panels well before hand.

Was there an Art Show this year? I never came across it in my travels.
Gaming --
We can't use your systems due to liability in case something happens. We have a contract with GPX Gaming, and they do have a variety of games and systems. I won't go into details, but what the gaming room this year was an exception to the great service they provide. As I said previously, the owner of the company saw all the issues you guys saw as soon as he got there. It's not happening again.

Dealer's Room --
Normally, we do that. I'm not sure why we didn't this year. There were Security associates at each door, so they could have decided flow wasn't consistent enough to warrant it. And, of course, people exiting is hard to control even when there are signs. Anyone that has worked retail has seen that. It will still be brought up; it shouldn't be too hard to come up with something to try to alleviate the problem.

Art Show --
The Art Show was in Restaurant A, so it was set up kind of secluded. You would have gone down the hallway after Registration into the restaurant, and there was a small room in that area. All the info on times and location was in the center shaded bar on the Fri/Sat side of the schedule. We'll look into better ways of advertising or making people aware of it.
JonathonWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-21-2012, 02:14 AM   #9
~Larxene~
Chibi-Kun
 
~Larxene~'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 295
The stuff posted in the FB AMA group pretty much sums up what I thought Lol and this is just my opinion and I know some of it is not something you can change but re-posting what some people posted=

It's not what it used to be for sure. The number of con goers is dwindling year by year. I remember how HUGE it was back in 2005 and it's not the same. I think it might be the venue and location. Hopefully, like most major events, they will tweak things and improve next year and grow again.

I was bored practically the entire time.

I've noticed the rules have gotten a little slack, which causes things to be rather.. well.. boring. For example, at the masquerade (which they also made all the participants sit backstage for ((ridiculous!)), they usually have some sort of entertainment until the trophies are announced. Instead all of the lights just came on and the only people who were left were people who competed. Lots of people did a very good jobs, lots of people should have gotten praised for all the hard work they put in, because honestly, the masquerade is one of the only places to even see cosplay anymore. Friday I counted around 45 people actually cosplaying. That is such a small number for an anime convention where cosplaying used to be a big deal. Gee, and the people that were cosplaying couldn't get their pictures taken because the staff would run out of nowhere complaining about how in the way they were. News flash guys, the center is really REALLY small. Someone is always going to be in someones way. I can understand asking several people to move if they have been doing it for a while, but one picture isn't going to end the world.

It seemed rather disorganized at best, and extremely chaotic at worst. I spent most of my time outside sitting in the grass in front of the con center.

lighting in the cosplay contest which was completely awful, the constant high beam strobe into the crowd, then cut back down to no light at all or those blue lights where you couldn't even see the costumes, then back to blinding everyone again. With all the changing colors and raising and lowering its a miracle no one had a seizure.

That lighting was just awful we left after like the 4th skit due to it. Its like the lighting tech was trying to make it a rave on stage. On top of that he kept angling the high beams out into the crowd, if it was a professional that had been hired I really hope the con refused to pay them.

Not only that but the fact that most of the groups that come refuse to actually split up and talk to others and stayed in their own circle really killed the socialization aspect of the whole con.I go to cons not for panels or much of anything else. I really only go to see the people that I don't get to see in everyday life and meet new people. This con and the cliquey group thing that was going on just really killed that for me.

Things need to change and I agree, it needs to start with us cosplayers. Yes, I know it's fun to wear stuff like gas masks and corsets and random stuff that you normally don't get to wear in everyday life. But really, whatever happened to cosplaying at a convention? Isn't that the whole point? Not gonna lie, in Friday dressed as Yoko, I kinda felt out of place. Literally, it was weird to be dressed in cosplay and the only people I ran into were people in ripped/holey/safety pinned jeans with doctors masks on and contacts in while I'm walking around in full Yoko gear and a 6 and a half foot gun strapped to my back. I put work into my cosplay, I'd been working on it for months (and not just limited to the cosplay, I worked out for it and lost weight as well) and I take pride in my work. It's kinda sad when I put so much work into something and then I feel weird because everyone else at the convention is dressed like we're going to a concert.

It would be nice if the panels weren't first come first served and were screened like they are at other conventions. This would weed out panels that have no idea what's going on.

I have to agree with the posted who said they felt out of place dressing up. I saw a bunch of people dressed in corsets, bikini tops, and ears but the cosplay was few and far between. I brought a bunch of my lolita stuff to dress in but felt so out of place dressed up. That should never happen at a con.


It was nice, and had its fun moments, but it wasn't GREAT. I don't know what it really was. The con-goers were nice, but I felt some energy lacking. I'm used to people yelling, "Red Robin!" "The Game!" or, "WHAT TIME IS IT?!" and everyone yells back with so much happiness and energy. Playing red light green light in the hall, lots of hugs from random people and people walking around with music and dancing. AMA was calm, which doesn't make it bad but it kind of made me sad. I've only been to AMA one other time, and that was back in '09 when it was in Hampton. The energy was fantastic then. The dances, which are my favorite part, weren't as hype as those at Neko. Friday no one was barely there, and Saturday was better, but I didn't go as crazy as I normal do. Usually at Neko (sorry, Neko is really the only con I've been to) when people stand in line for the dances, people walk by and hype us up. The staff yells, "IS EVERYONE READY?!" and everyone yells and cheers. Saturday day was just the security guy yelling out the rules saying he had little patience. I understand it's something he had to do but it kind of made me sad there weren't people hyping up the crowd.

I totally agree with all of the above ^^^
The lighting in the cosplay contest was awful,there were not that many cosplayers most of the people were only there to party at the rave,some of the staff was very rude,it was quite boring and pretty bad when you feel out of place in cosplay at an anime con :/ and overall it just had a lack of enthusiasim/energy that it had before.I remember in 2008/2009 the energy was great,there wasnt those little cliques that people would stay in,they would talk to other people and be friendlier,and i just had an amazing time then.But I did have an okay time when some people would come over and talk.
__________________

Also Plz TXT ME if you also attend AMA and Neko-con (:~ 434 944 3921
~Larxene~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-21-2012, 04:45 AM   #10
JonathonWolf
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 271
We'll take the Cosplay Event stuff to the head of that department. As far as attendance, I've been under the impression that we've been having some of our best years recently. I think estimates for numbers this year are between 4200 and 4500. Panels aren't first come, first served. They are evaluated on whether they meet the family-friendly image of the con, and then an attempt is made to create a variety. There were a lot of great panels, and it may be that the subjects you are interested in might not have had anyone submit.
JonathonWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-21-2012, 02:28 PM   #11
Crusader_8
Ask me about my name
 
Crusader_8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 2,042
Wouldn't lack of cosplay be the attendees' decisions? It's not AMA's fault if there's fewer cosplayers running around. Personally, I saw lots of dress-up and cosplay, as well as casual dress-up like what I did (made a rainbow Dash emblem for my blue shirt then dyed my hair). Maybe there was simply less "serious" cosplay, but that diminishes the effort everyone else puts into dressing up.

Smaller con =/= bad con, but maybe one that doesn't suit everyone's tastes. I go to one small con and one big con each year since both offer things the other doesn't. At AMA, I can actually meet people and socialize with them. I can rarely chance upon sudden comaderie (I think I'm using the wrong word lol) at Otakon. Then again, AMA isn't even really a "small" con when you think about it, but I can still enjoy small-con benefits there. It's why I've been steadily going to AMA since 2006, and ithey're not doing anything to make me think otherwise.
__________________
Tetris DX top score - 02,323,878 points/1501 lines
Tetris DS top score - 11,014,897 points
Anime Mid-Atlantic is the next beast! Choose your cosplay now!

Coming soon - my most patriotic costume yet, Captain America!

Cosplays on the Drawing board -
Sam Flynn
Optimus Prime
Black Jack
Crusader_8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-21-2012, 09:42 PM   #12
~Larxene~
Chibi-Kun
 
~Larxene~'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 295
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonathonWolf View Post
We'll take the Cosplay Event stuff to the head of that department. As far as attendance, I've been under the impression that we've been having some of our best years recently. I think estimates for numbers this year are between 4200 and 4500. Panels aren't first come, first served. They are evaluated on whether they meet the family-friendly image of the con, and then an attempt is made to create a variety. There were a lot of great panels, and it may be that the subjects you are interested in might not have had anyone submit.
Oh its not just me lol! I'm just posting exactly what others said because they were arguing about it in the forums and people were saying stop just arguing about it and tell someone who might could do something about it so i posted it over here.haha and yes I know its just opinions like i said (:
__________________

Also Plz TXT ME if you also attend AMA and Neko-con (:~ 434 944 3921
~Larxene~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-21-2012, 09:46 PM   #13
~Larxene~
Chibi-Kun
 
~Larxene~'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 295
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crusader_8 View Post
Wouldn't lack of cosplay be the attendees' decisions? It's not AMA's fault if there's fewer cosplayers running around. Personally, I saw lots of dress-up and cosplay, as well as casual dress-up like what I did (made a rainbow Dash emblem for my blue shirt then dyed my hair). Maybe there was simply less "serious" cosplay, but that diminishes the effort everyone else puts into dressing up.

Smaller con =/= bad con, but maybe one that doesn't suit everyone's tastes. I go to one small con and one big con each year since both offer things the other doesn't. At AMA, I can actually meet people and socialize with them. I can rarely chance upon sudden comaderie (I think I'm using the wrong word lol) at Otakon. Then again, AMA isn't even really a "small" con when you think about it, but I can still enjoy small-con benefits there. It's why I've been steadily going to AMA since 2006, and ithey're not doing anything to make me think otherwise.
Yes.As i stated,not AMAs fault lmao just an opinion.Everyones experience is going to be different based on intrests and who theyre hanging out with.I just noticed there were more people that were in their own little groups with thats fine whatever xD peoples choices but when you try to say hi to them they ignore you cuz your not in their little group.For example, there were two Kuroshitsuji groups and neither one would talk to each other thinking they were better than them and saying mean stuff.But theres always going to be stuff like that I was just stating my opinions and what some other peoples opinions were so that they could be heard also.
__________________

Also Plz TXT ME if you also attend AMA and Neko-con (:~ 434 944 3921
~Larxene~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-21-2012, 09:53 PM   #14
JonathonWolf
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 271
Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Larxene~ View Post
Oh its not just me lol! I'm just posting exactly what others said because they were arguing about it in the forums and people were saying stop just arguing about it and tell someone who might could do something about it so i posted it over here.haha and yes I know its just opinions like i said (:

I know, but you've collected it all so I don't have to.
JonathonWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-21-2012, 11:18 PM   #15
Crusader_8
Ask me about my name
 
Crusader_8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 2,042
Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Larxene~ View Post
Yes.As i stated,not AMAs fault lmao just an opinion.Everyones experience is going to be different based on intrests and who theyre hanging out with.I just noticed there were more people that were in their own little groups with thats fine whatever xD peoples choices but when you try to say hi to them they ignore you cuz your not in their little group.For example, there were two Kuroshitsuji groups and neither one would talk to each other thinking they were better than them and saying mean stuff.But theres always going to be stuff like that I was just stating my opinions and what some other peoples opinions were so that they could be heard also.
I notice the anti-social thing a lot. I used to be like that at cons, because in the beginning I was young and cons were huge. Then later on I grew up but was so busy doing my own thing I thought it was rather silly to see how many other ponies, I mean people, I could meet. But nowadays I'm a can of chill looking for excuses to meet peeps. So next time look for people like me? (now that I think about it, I believe we have talked on this site before at least, but I digress.) I don't know. I'd try to aim for meeting individuals and stay away from clique-ish groups. I tried to participate in meetups in the past but I always felt out of place.
__________________
Tetris DX top score - 02,323,878 points/1501 lines
Tetris DS top score - 11,014,897 points
Anime Mid-Atlantic is the next beast! Choose your cosplay now!

Coming soon - my most patriotic costume yet, Captain America!

Cosplays on the Drawing board -
Sam Flynn
Optimus Prime
Black Jack
Crusader_8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:11 PM.


Copyright 2002-2013 Cosplay.com, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
All comments and posts in our forums are the opinion of the respective poster.