Go Back   Cosplay.com > US Convention Forums > Anime Mid-Atlantic

Unread 06-22-2012, 09:13 PM   #16
Demyx
Cerulean Twin

Yeah, the lack of cosplayers has been bothering me for a while. There were barely any actual costumes, and no offense to any other genres or anything, but I'm kind of tired of seeing more than 50% of the cosplayers wearing costumes that have nothing to do with anime or even video games like in the past. if I wanted to see other genres THAT much I'd go to a different type of convention. I mean, I'm all for wearing what you want, I actually used to enjoy seeing all the crazy stuff people would wear... I guess I'm just generally disappointed in the participation of the anime, manga, and video game fans as far as cosplaying those genres' characters. I think I saw maybe two Final Fantasy cosplayers, and the biggest anime groups I saw were the Madoka group that I know and like some Naruto cosplayers and those of us in the Bleach group, and I have a feeling the Bleach thing was partly because I've been advertising about it since like February. I just miss coming home with like 200+ photos of all the different costumes ( even if they were terribly crafted ) and being generally excited to see what people were wearing.

I also felt really out of place in an actual anime themed cosplay of a real character... it was like really, really awkward and you shouldn't feel that way at an anime convention :/
  • Kuroko ( Kuroko no Basuke )
  • Nurse Medusa ( Soul Eater ) [ tentative ]
Demyx is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 06-25-2012, 11:35 AM   #17
Kuharai
Least it's not Con Staph

As far as AMA goes, I had a lot of fun. The dealers were a lot of fun to chat with - especially the gentleman selling the Necomimi. The artists that I chatted with were a lot of fun. I had no problems with staff (though, being on staff m'self may have something to do with it).

As far as the people go... I found myself disappointed in the people, the attendees. There was a lot of group seclusion going on. The majority was in the attitude of the attendees, but part of it was also the layout. The only decent places that people could mingle freely with people of other groups were the areas directly outside of the buildings (in the blazing heat) and the lounge of the Marriott. Aside from that, the only time people passed each other was when they had somewhere to be or somewhere they intended to go.

I will say, that it was fun doing the Cha Cha Slide with everyone Saturday night by the Otakon PhotoBooth. Random stuff like that brings all sorts of people together.

Now, in my Rozalin dress (for those who don't play Disgaea, I was the blonde with the huuuge black dress with the metric effton of red and gold bows), I tried to mingle with everyone and talk to people at random. Especially when people wanted pictures - most people didn't even realize that I was dressed from a video game.
Teito Klein (07 Ghost)
April O'Neil (TMNT)
Rozalin (Disgaea 2)
Angela Blanc (Kuroshitsuji)

Last edited by Kuharai : 06-27-2012 at 03:14 PM.
Kuharai is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-17-2012, 12:06 PM   #18
Tekanubis

I feel like AMA has always focused more on the Saturday dance than anything else. From that, other things have fallen off the map.

Pros:
1. AMV's were much improved
2. Enjoyed the guest line-up
3. The rooms themselves were big enough for each panel/event.

Cons:
1. AMV torture category. It's lost its appeal and is not funny anymore.
2. Few cosplayers(need better prizes or a registration discount for contestants to help 3. mitigate this, this is needed because general quality at AMA is down)
3. Bad line management, use tape or get more people to help.
4. Still at a poor venue, when is this contract up?
5. Lack of late night panels.
6. Game room is small, under equipped, and does not encourage multiplayer. System linked boxes where being used for single player.
Tekanubis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-18-2012, 01:44 PM   #19
Hayes

This was my fourth AMA and I've never really had any issues with the con, but there is one thing that somehow seems to steadily get worse every year ;.; I'm surprised no one mentioned it yet.

Considering the location, why does something always manage to go wrong with the Saturday night dance? Its not like there are a shortage of decent DJs who will do it free. I know it's an anime con, but it still attracts a lot of attention from ravers all over the state. I don't know if there is one already or not, but it might be a good idea to have a dj application to fill out on the website like some other cons do.

I definitely love the little cups and water inside the convention center though D;

And I was really happy to see the dealers room get better this year.
Hayes is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-19-2012, 12:56 AM   #20
~Larxene~
Chibi-Kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demyx View Post
Yeah, the lack of cosplayers has been bothering me for a while. There were barely any actual costumes, and no offense to any other genres or anything, but I'm kind of tired of seeing more than 50% of the cosplayers wearing costumes that have nothing to do with anime or even video games like in the past. if I wanted to see other genres THAT much I'd go to a different type of convention. I mean, I'm all for wearing what you want, I actually used to enjoy seeing all the crazy stuff people would wear... I guess I'm just generally disappointed in the participation of the anime, manga, and video game fans as far as cosplaying those genres' characters. I think I saw maybe two Final Fantasy cosplayers, and the biggest anime groups I saw were the Madoka group that I know and like some Naruto cosplayers and those of us in the Bleach group, and I have a feeling the Bleach thing was partly because I've been advertising about it since like February. I just miss coming home with like 200+ photos of all the different costumes ( even if they were terribly crafted ) and being generally excited to see what people were wearing.

I also felt really out of place in an actual anime themed cosplay of a real character... it was like really, really awkward and you shouldn't feel that way at an anime convention :/
Everything you said.Exactly.

Also Plz TXT ME if you also attend AMA and Neko-con (:~ 434 944 3921
~Larxene~ is offline   Reply With Quote