Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Photography > Photo Tutorials

Unread 06-25-2012, 12:21 AM   #1
animetears4
E-chan

How to apply a blue tint w/o photoshopping

Okay so I have been prowling around worldcosplay just looking at some AMAZING pictures of people cosplaying. I did Tifa at AnimeNEXT and I saw some incredible pictures of this girl doing some action poses in what appears to be a vacant parking garage. I LOVE the blue tint to the pictures because it creates the best mood especially for a game like FVII. I want to know how to pull off a blue tint in pictures without using any editing program. I was researching a bit online and people have said that using a colored paper over a speedlight will work. I am saving up some money for a speedlight but I want to know if this will work first. Oh and one more thing my friend and I cosplayed from the persona series and for my friend (who cosplayed as the femal protag from P3P) I want to do a dark hour photoshoot with her so I need a green tint affect. Please let me know what your ideas are any help is greatly welcomed and hopefully I'm not confusing anybody by my babbling >.<

Thank you!

~animetears4

Unread 06-25-2012, 12:41 AM   #2
Shoji-Aoyama
Dual Wielding Nikonian

a Gel filter over a speedlight would indeed accomplish that, assuming youre shooting in daylight, you would put a CTO filter on the flash, key the white balance to Incandesent/Tungsten (or the specific *K value listed on the filter), use it to light the subject and the anything illuminated by the sunlight will go blue, best use is in the shade where you dont have your speedlight figting the sun for superiority. . . you can use different strengths of filters to control just how blue you want it to go, for example if you key for a Full CTO the daylight goes really blue, if you use say a 3/4 or 1/2 CTO and adjust White Balance accordingly, the degree of the color shift will be lessened as you go down the scale

NOW that was if you wanted the subject in 'normal' color and the rest in a blue cast. . . if you just want everything in a blue cast, you can cut out the Gel filters, and even the speedlight (you can still use it as a fill light or whatever), just manually set the White Balance to Incandecent/Tungsten and everything goes blue, you can fine tune it with the manual *K settings though, daylight is right around 5500K, daylight gets bluer as the WB value decreases (ie. 5000K, 4000K, etc)

as for green casts. . .same sort of rules apply, though in this case youre looking for Fluoresent lights (particularly the 'cool white' variety). . . and this time the white balance setting would be Daylight or Flash. . . and again you can use a flash (this time naked) to get them in a 'normal' color while everything goes green, or do it ambient with one of the previously mentioned settings and everything goes green, in addition to that last one you can also use a 'corrected' flash with a Plusgreen filter as a fill light, if your WB is still keyed for daylight or standard flash, itll go green as well

Upcoming:

Last edited by Shoji-Aoyama : 06-25-2012 at 12:50 AM.
Shoji-Aoyama is offline   Reply With Quote