Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay by Series/Genre > Comics/Cartoons > Disney Cosplay

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 47 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 06-23-2012, 09:08 PM   #31
psychoaccess
lithium || flower

Hey guys! Also looking to start a Merida cosplay, so excited. =]
I just can't decide on anything, though, haha. I've got so many options for her wig, and I can't settle on one. I'm very weary about colors, while I love New Look's Diana the most for the shape, I'm worried about any of the reds not quite having the orange pop I feel it needs. I'd probably have to add pieces from other orange wigs to make it a better shade? I don't know. Same with Lioness. With the Arda wigs, I feel like I'd have to add to it either way, either for top-volume, or length. I can't seem to decide!

I also struggle with the bow. I like some of the options you guys have posted, particularly the $37 one from Ebay. The only problem is how flat it is compared to her bow, since it's modern, of course. You pretty much won't find a rounded bow like she has anywhere. I'm trying to think of some options to fashion a mock bow with the same shape, but something that will be plenty sturdy for a con environment. I may end up with the Ebay bow in the end, though. We'll see.

||CURRENT||
Medic & Torakaka & Gou - AWA

||PAST||
{Gaila; Star Trek} {Torakaka; BlazBlue} {Sister of Battle; Warhammer40k} {Bride Witch; Left 4 Dead 2} {fem!RedMedic; Team Fortress 2} {Motoko Kusanagi; GitS: S.A.C 2nd GIG} {Zoey; Left 4 Dead}
psychoaccess is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 06-24-2012, 01:02 AM   #32
usuyukisou

Eeeeeeee~ I just saw Brave (yes, in 3D... the fast-pans blur...)~ I totally guessed what the omake scene was going to be about!

I wonder if there's any way to pull off Gijinka!BearQueen being prim and proper...
Unread 06-24-2012, 10:13 AM   #33
Tigress
Bitch-Kitty on Wheels

Arda has that wig in stock: http://arda-wigs.com/collections/mer...-pumpkin-ar011

Wish I knew this before ordering one from Wig Secret, but I'm sure I can find a use for the Wig Secret one. It's still really nice.

Also, if anyone is looking for dark green linen, here's where I ordered mine:

http://www.fabrics-store.com/first.p...&fabric_id=663

One of the most basic rules for survival on any planet is never to upset someone wearing black leather. (This is why protesters against the wearing of animal skins by humans unaccountably fail to throw their paint over Hell's Angels.) -- Terry Pratchett
Tigress is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-24-2012, 05:26 PM   #34
Sonsko-chan
Rude and Ginger

My Merida dress just needs some finishing touches but I'm really happy with it. I borrowed a friend's English longbow for a few photos.
Sonsko-chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-24-2012, 05:58 PM   #35
Elycium
Applique ate my soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by psychoaccess View Post
Hey guys! Also looking to start a Merida cosplay, so excited. =]
I just can't decide on anything, though, haha. I've got so many options for her wig, and I can't settle on one. I'm very weary about colors, while I love New Look's Diana the most for the shape, I'm worried about any of the reds not quite having the orange pop I feel it needs. I'd probably have to add pieces from other orange wigs to make it a better shade? I don't know. Same with Lioness. With the Arda wigs, I feel like I'd have to add to it either way, either for top-volume, or length. I can't seem to decide!
I think with the new Arda wig (The Merry), it actually does have enough volume, you just have to tease the curls a little bit to fluff it out. They showed (I want to say on FB) what it looked like with the curls teased, and it was almost perfect.

I'm just hoping they're still in stock in a few weeks when I'm finally able to order one. My costume is complete, save for the wig and the bow.
Unread 06-24-2012, 05:58 PM   #36
kiggi

not sure which i should go with!!! these are taken with my phone so sorry for the crappy pic. they are casa satin because the shantung is too pricey or cant be dyed easily (and i dont like dying fabric) i am doing the aqua dress
from the website:
sunshine which is a happy yellow in person, this looks horrid and drab
new gold
blue radiance
blue jewel
kiggi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-24-2012, 07:54 PM   #37
psychoaccess
lithium || flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elycium View Post
I think with the new Arda wig (The Merry), it actually does have enough volume, you just have to tease the curls a little bit to fluff it out. They showed (I want to say on FB) what it looked like with the curls teased, and it was almost perfect.

I'm just hoping they're still in stock in a few weeks when I'm finally able to order one. My costume is complete, save for the wig and the bow.
Yeah.. I think thats the way I'm going to go. Everything so far is just too dark, not really as bright and vibrant as I like. I might pick up some wefts to add to the top anyway, just to make sure there isnt any real "part" and to add her cute little forehead lock. The price is certainly right, too, lol. I'm excited to see your finished product! I feel like I have so much to do, lol.

I think I'm going with the Butterick pattern mentioned earlier in here. The adventure for fabric begins, lol.

Also, @kiggi, from the photo you took, I think the gold option on the left and definitely the "blue radience" would be my choices. Though, either gold could work. I'm on my phone, so it's a little hard to judge properly.

||CURRENT||

||PAST||
{Gaila; Star Trek} {Torakaka; BlazBlue} {Sister of Battle; Warhammer40k} {Bride Witch; Left 4 Dead 2} {fem!RedMedic; Team Fortress 2} {Motoko Kusanagi; GitS: S.A.C 2nd GIG} {Zoey; Left 4 Dead}
Unread 06-24-2012, 09:07 PM   #38
Sonsko-chan
Rude and Ginger

@kiggi, I agree with psychoaccess on the blue radiance and right hand gold (sunshine?). The blue jewel seems more blue than turquoise.

@psychoaccess, It seems that she uses a straighter longbow for most of the film (after the fight with Elinor), so I don't think it would hurt to do that. If you could come across the materials and tools, you could always build your own curved base? Honestly, I think the curve is slight enough that a regular longbow would work really well. (I'll hopefully be taking a bow-making class in January, so I would probably just carve some detailing into that one.)
Sonsko-chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-24-2012, 10:09 PM   #39
psychoaccess
lithium || flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonsko-chan View Post
@psychoaccess, It seems that she uses a straighter longbow for most of the film (after the fight with Elinor), so I don't think it would hurt to do that. If you could come across the materials and tools, you could always build your own curved base? Honestly, I think the curve is slight enough that a regular longbow would work really well. (I'll hopefully be taking a bow-making class in January, so I would probably just carve some detailing into that one.)
Yeah, it's pretty much going for the best option and making it work at this point. So I'll probably be buying this one: http://www.ebay.ca/itm/250436941008?... 4.m1438.l2649 that Ani_Bee posted, but I might wait a bit to purchase it. I don't forsee myself actually making my own legitimate bow, sadly, don't have quite the time or the funds. If I find the right materials that are sturdy enough, I could attempt to make a frame with the same shape as hers, and then just use elastic string to emulate the look of nocking an arrow. We'll see how it pans out.

Also, I loved how your dress came out! I really like the fabric and the color. Did you use linen?

||CURRENT||

||PAST||
Unread 06-24-2012, 11:03 PM   #40
jdoe7

all the suggestions here are great for bows and wigs! the arda wig is EXACTLY what ive been looking for! but it seems they are out of stock already darn. guess its okay cuz i dont have money right now. gotta wait for the husband to get paid(we both just got new jobs, but mine doesnt start for a month D
im still on the hunt for the perfect fabric. ill probably end up dying it myself, but i cant find fabric that im happy with to even dye.
Jedi Knight - Star Wars

Facebook tumblr: Disney Personal Harry Potter
jdoe7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-25-2012, 11:01 AM   #41
Ani_BEE
Black Magic Woman

Quote:
Originally Posted by psychoaccess View Post
Yeah, it's pretty much going for the best option and making it work at this point. So I'll probably be buying this one: http://www.ebay.ca/itm/250436941008?... 4.m1438.l2649 that Ani_Bee posted, but I might wait a bit to purchase it. I don't forsee myself actually making my own legitimate bow, sadly, don't have quite the time or the funds. If I find the right materials that are sturdy enough, I could attempt to make a frame with the same shape as hers, and then just use elastic string to emulate the look of nocking an arrow. We'll see how it pans out.

Also, I loved how your dress came out! I really like the fabric and the color. Did you use linen?
It was a hard choose for me to make as well on the bow I was looking up ways to make one from scratch that could bend but I just don't have the power tool to do it properly in the end.
I was going to crave it out of upholster foam and shape it smoother with a spading belt (this is the tool I'm missing and is crucial) like most mascot maker do. I would then cut a seem to the centre of the bow and inlay a wire for spring and shape. seal the seam then heat tool the design into the foam. Then start to ad layers of latex and/or acrylic to seal the outside and a wood paint finish.

The bow would still be cable to flex when you pull the sting back but would also be prop stage safe and street legal as well.

Also her bow is a misnomer. Most Celtic horse style bow thin down in the arms but more then what they did with hers. You can see too styles here.
http://www.flickriver.com/photos/336...ags/stpatrick/
Both have a thicker grip but the arms are thing so that their is less tension in the draw.

Merida should have some massive biceps using that bow as the adding thickness would make it twice as hard to pull the bow string/arms back.

I also will have two wigs now for Merida... the Arda colour was to good to pass up trying to tease but most wigs that start curly can be tease further.
This was the other wig i got which comes in a natural ginger (Light Ginger shade).
http://www.ebay.ca/itm/ws/eBayISAPI....E:L:OU:CA:1123
It's still in transit but I also order this to make it longer as well.
http://www.ebay.ca/itm/ws/eBayISAPI....E:L:OU:CA:1123

In the end if the Arda one get to messed up I'm happy with the ones I linked.

Interesting article on the textures.
http://westpennjournal.com/2012/06/b...as-never-gone/

FanEXPO
Wearing random Arda Wigs.
Madeline Hatter ~ Ever After High (Sat)

Unplugged Expo

Future cosplays/cons:
Anime North, (maybe) Otakuthon, FanEXPO '15
Nehelenia
Allen Crown Clown
Sakizo Anniversary
Steampunk - Bride

For Sale
cosplay items for sale.
Arda & Shop.cosplay wig fiber swatch comparisons & Cosplay props tutorials and Makeup revies!

Win a Ticket to FanExpo!

Last edited by Ani_BEE : 06-25-2012 at 03:27 PM.
Ani_BEE is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-25-2012, 11:16 AM   #42
Ani_BEE
Black Magic Woman

I would stick with sunshine and blue radiance kiggi, I now her dress is more green in tone aqua then blue radiance is but the over all level of colour is the same. Also the original sketches where that blue.
http://images2.wikia.nocookie.net/__...oncept_art.jpg
She looks for angry in that dress. lol

Another question for those that have seen to movie (I want to now but I have to wait a few weeks ) Did this dress ever show up in the movie. I don't want to know the details (see no evil ) I'm just curious.
http://pixar.wikia.com/File:EpilogueDress6.jpg

The only think i can work on right now is my Will O’ the Wisp as my sewing machine is still being worked on, the wigs and bow are in the mail. Wish me luck because foaming fabric is more trial and error then physicists/drafting. lol I'm using the blue fabric I used for the flames here.
http://www.cosplay.com/costume/426374/

FanEXPO

Unplugged Expo

Future cosplays/cons:
Nehelenia
Allen Crown Clown
Sakizo Anniversary
Steampunk - Bride

For Sale
cosplay items for sale.
Arda & Shop.cosplay wig fiber swatch comparisons & Cosplay props tutorials and Makeup revies!

Win a Ticket to FanExpo!

Last edited by Ani_BEE : 06-25-2012 at 11:41 AM.
Unread 06-25-2012, 11:58 AM   #43
Limeyaku
First-Mate

i think the black dress is in the very last scene.
Limeyaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-25-2012, 12:00 PM   #44
ChuuMousie
Ooh, Shiny!

That dress is not in the movie but is what WDW has chosen as Merida'a meet & greet dress.

I cannot imagine trying to find the perfect wig for Merida. It's crazy insane! Thankful I can use my own hair even though it's too short. It's just longer than mid back & obviously not as voluminous but nothing beats no wig!

Can't wait to see pictures of everyone's cosplays!! I'll put mine up soon.
Sera Myu Super Sailor Moon
Rosario Vampire Kokua seifuku

Legendary Senshi: A Sera Myu tribute group
ChuuMousie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-25-2012, 12:21 PM   #45
Ani_BEE
Black Magic Woman

I won't be till the end of August I'm debuting her. The wig hunt was intense as I have about 5 workable wigs for her that I saved the link/product codes too. lol

My hair would make he suffer if I tired to add more copper to it for a full year. I've done the whole dye my hair thing for cosplay and it make me regret it every time. I would be so bad if I had more blonde in my natural mix but their just too much brown and no enough copper I would need to stripe the color back to a crazy orange shade then you strip copper hair. >_<

Yes the WDW dress kind of scares me, the fabric looks like fish scales. lol
http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m3...v6luo1_500.jpg

FanEXPO

Unplugged Expo

Future cosplays/cons:
Nehelenia
Allen Crown Clown
Sakizo Anniversary
Steampunk - Bride

For Sale
cosplay items for sale.

Win a Ticket to FanExpo!