Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Photography > Locations

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 02-16-2011, 05:59 PM   #1
EkoOtsurone
Echoes of Static Sounds

Minnesota Photoshoot Locations

So far I have...
-Downtown Minneapolis
-St. Paul (where all the pretty houses are!)
-Historic Fort Snelling
-Downtown Duluth/ Lake Superior
-Hiawatha Ave in So Minneapolis, there's a lot of grain towers and railroad tracks)
-Gooseberry Falls State Park
-Jay Cooke State Park
Lake Nokomis, Nokomis East Neighborhood (Mpls)
-By the Mpls/St.Paul Int'l airport (especially for ELR photoshoots)
-Central Library in Minneapolis (Hennepin County)
Cosplay club (seeking Mpls cosplayers <3) : http://www.antithesiscosplay.yolasite.com/

Let's talk, okay?

-Megurine Luka- Cendrillion: 10%
Megurine Luka: 0%
Hell Girl/ Ai Enma: 80% (don't have wig)
Hana Bakane (WIP UTAULOID) 90%
EkoOtsurone is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 03-01-2011, 02:46 PM   #2
Akahime
Red Princess

Since you started a thread for Minnesota locations, I'll give my suggestions on (mostly) Parks to go to (specifically around/in the Twin Cities) since I love green and nature.

Should I put down a disclaimer? (Ahahaha) Personally, I enjoyed these places and probably were there at the correct times (been to these places listed down at least once). So I hope those that are looking for an area in MN will find a good place for a photoshoot. =)

Phalen Lake/Park -- Has awesome large trees that are distorted and these trees rather big, and lake is beautiful. There are lot of green space and even a brick bridge (not too sure if it's still there anymore) and best of all, there are not too much people that go here. So if you're lucky, it'll be pretty empty in some areas of the park. (Saint Paul)

Como Park/Lake -- when the tide is low, there is a path that goes towards into the lake. But otherwise, a lot of people walking around here and there aren’t much grass or space to take pictures on. (Saint Paul)

Keller Park -- It's a pretty big park, sorta split in half by road and traffic, but rarely people go there (even on nice days for some reason!) and they have this beautiful moon bridge like thing going on over there. And they have pretty willow trees, last time I checked. =3 They have a lake too. (Maplewood)

Minnehaha Falls/Park -- It is beautiful, simply. I'm not too sure if you could maneuver to quieter and less crowded areas because this is a pretty popular park to be. However, this place is pretty big so I am sure you'll be able to find one quiet area for a good photoshoot. (Minneapolis)

Willow River State Park -- this may not be in MN, but it is only 30 minutes drive if you leave from Saint Paul. It's a camping site, however you do not need to camp to be able to get in. You also have to pay to get in as well, but it's well worth the money (paid per car). There are many trails and many areas that are 'empty'. There are wonderful mini waterfalls that you can 'stray' off to and take pictures as well. It's easy to navigate and hard to be lost at in. = ) (Hudson, WI)

Gateway State Trail -- This is a very beautiful trail. Sometimes you'll get many people walking, sometimes you don't. Depends on day and where you are on the trail because it is 18 miles long! I've traveled from the start point in Saint Paul and only managed to walk to White Bear Lake. Ahahah. But stunning, and a lot of trees, other plants, sometimes beautiful ponds, and GOOD sunlight exposure for those who likes to use natural lighting in their photos. Oh, by the way, the trail should lead to Pine Point Regional Park in or near Stillwater (not too sure which). Go and check it out! NOTE: This trail also leads near to Hiawatha Ave that EkoOtsurone speaks of. So two birds with one stone?! (Saint Paul - starting point)

UPDATE December 2011

Battle Creek Regional Park - OMG. Why did I not find this park sooner? My first time was in the summer and it was beautiful, green, and wide space! Though sometimes you may see houses in the background, but with angling of the camera and the position of the model, you can totally get the 'wild' look you may look for. : ) This park is great especially on a sunny day where the sky is especially blue. You will definitely get awesome pictures of the sky. (Saint Paul)

I'll update this list as I try to think the names of other parks that I've been to and enjoyed. 8'D
Quina (FFIX), Kat (Gravity Rush), Nausicaš (Nausicaš of the Valley of the Wind)?, Cheria (Tales of Graces)?, Tia of Avalon Code, Lan Fan of Full Metal Alchemist Brotherhood, Kyoko of Skip Beat!, Monster Hunter?

Next cons: Midoricon, Anime Fusion?
Cosplayer and photographer. Follow me at my DA, twitter, or my tumblr!

Last edited by Akahime : 12-25-2011 at 10:57 PM. Reason: to add new places
Akahime is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-03-2011, 08:40 AM   #3
songbirdblues
let's sing to the sky

I didn't realize there was an individual thread for MN locations too xD
Here are my two cents from the Midwest location thread:

Como Park Conservatory
1225 Estabrook Drive
Saint Paul, MN 55103

There is a Japanese garden there as well and since this place is connected to the zoo(oh noes!), it gets pretty busy on the weekends. Finding a parking spot is not fun :/
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Roseville Central Park
2525 Dale Avenue
Roseville, MN 55113

Last edited by songbirdblues : 03-03-2011 at 08:46 AM.
songbirdblues is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-03-2011, 09:59 AM   #4
Akahime
Red Princess

Dude, I love the Conservatory and the Zen Garden, but even on the weekdays, people still manage to be at the zoo. And the garden is pretty popular. It is very hard to get a shot without people in it. Dx And I feel bad for just staying there long. >>;; Don't know why though. But give it a shot. =) I'm sure I was just unlucky. 8'3
Quina (FFIX), Kat (Gravity Rush), Nausicaš (Nausicaš of the Valley of the Wind)?, Cheria (Tales of Graces)?, Tia of Avalon Code, Lan Fan of Full Metal Alchemist Brotherhood, Kyoko of Skip Beat!, Monster Hunter?

Next cons: Midoricon, Anime Fusion?
Cosplayer and photographer. Follow me at my DA, twitter, or my tumblr!
Akahime is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-17-2011, 09:50 AM   #5
Slum Drunk
The Slum Drunk

I'm totally stuck on finding a place to shoot my Xena: Warrior Princess costume in the next few weeks.

It's cold, everything is dead. Any ideas would be much appreciated.

Maria: SIlent HIll 2 - CONvergence - 2012
Slum Drunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-04-2012, 08:49 PM   #6
XepherMyu

In addition to all the lovely places added here, I would like to mention that the Blair Arcade off of Western Avenue and Selby Avenue in St. Paul is a lovely location. I would definitely say especially for Black Butler/Kuroshitsuji since there are these checkered tiles and very decorative interior. Also anywhere along Summit Avenue is lovely too because of all the mansions which are awesome. The Cathedral Hill area in St.Paul is amazing lol
XepherMyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-22-2012, 04:44 PM   #7
KoalaKidd

Ah! Lovely to see fellow Minnesotans, even though I live in Massachusetts now. This is making me want to do a shoot in MN!

Mine might be fairly obvious, but... the sculpture garden at the Walker. I used to go there all the time and even had some of my senior pictures done there. There's a great variety of space--the greenhouse/its pond, some of the weird structures, peaceful pathways, and of course that great platform swing.
KoalaKidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-25-2012, 10:24 PM   #8
Ororo Monroe
Head Goddess In Charge

Fort Snelling
Pipestone
Lake Pepin Area
Winona has several nice area
Do they let you take pictures at the Mayo Clinic?
Olmstead County Historical Society
Bluff of Red Wing, one of them has a tower
Le Duc House, Hastings

Out of Minneapolis, at Madison, WI there is a carosel at the Henry Villa Zoo. It's all endangered animals and really cool.