Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > General Construction Help

Unread 06-26-2012, 09:55 AM   #1
bcmilk

Sakuya Izayoi - Opinions before constructing

Hello!

I'm planning to make a Sakuya from Koumajo Densetsu (Touhou) cosplay. The attached photos are the reference, pattern I plan to use and the fabric I plan to use.

I'm just wondering if the fabric will be okay for this cosplay - I was planning on painting stripes/sewing ribbons to black fabric but I wasn't sure about the width of the stripes and I'm pretty much on a short deadline so I was thinking of using this fabric to save time.

Also the pattern I'm using has three darts. Though the reference doesn't have any of the back maybe I can use darts for the back but the front seems to have no darts. It would be great if someone can explain how I could either remove the dart or if I can just cut out the pattern without it - I'm ignoring the bust dart for now.

Thanks a bunch!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ref 1.jpg (177.7 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg Fabric.jpg (168.1 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg Pattern ref.jpg (149.1 KB, 0 views)
bcmilk is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 06-26-2012, 10:32 AM   #2
animenerd93
Neko Neko Chi CHi

1) this is a little better suited for the sewing thread but until you can get an admin to move it

2) the fabric is ok. It looks really tough, which may make it an issue with that pattern but you should be ok. however it also looks more blue than black and too much paint/ribbon will make it harder to work with.
3) Your reference technicall does have darts in the top. All womens shirts (the nice button up kind) have to have darts as this is the way they fit to a more womanly curve. Its just the way that its drawn it doesnt look like there are darts. Id keep them unless you have no idea how to dart as without them, the shirt will be too boxy and not give the flow you need for that piece.

Hope this helps!
RapMonster- BTS N.O
fem!Ravi- VIXX Hyde
Hyuk- VIXX Voodoo Doll
animenerd93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-26-2012, 10:56 AM   #3
bcmilk

Thanks for the reply animenerd!

I'll make sure to put threads in their proper section.... i wasn't sure where to put them :P

The fabric is pretty light, not bulky - looks that because i folded it. I was just wondering if I should make a black shirt from the pattern and paint/sew stripes onto it. My only concern is that the paint may bleed and that sewing ribbons will just make it look messy. If I use the fabric that I have and use darts it won't look like the reference....

Oh how to do this....

Edit:

I did read around before I posted this and tried painting experimenting with masking tape and painting on some muslin.... I found it difficult to lay down the masking tape straight on the fabric. The paint it kinda bleed but that was probably due to the fact that I was using black paint, not white.

Last edited by bcmilk : 06-26-2012 at 12:08 PM.
bcmilk is offline   Reply With Quote