Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay by Series/Genre > Comics/Cartoons > Disney Cosplay

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 50 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 06-25-2012, 01:45 PM   #46
psychoaccess
lithium || flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ani_BEE View Post
It was a hard cose for me to make as well on the bow I was looking up ways to make one from scratch that could bend but I just don't have the power tool to do it properly in the end.
[...]
Interesting article on the textures.
http://westpennjournal.com/2012/06/b...as-never-gone/
Yeah. I might remake a bow later on, your method sounds good, but I also lack any sort of the tools to do it, haha. And thanks for the texture link! That's a good read.

I was actually looking at that seller, as well, I also have a text file of several different wig options. I really like the Arda wig mostly because of the color. While the more natrual tones aren't bad, I really like the orange tones of Merida's hair.
And of course, the evening I finally decide that Arda is the direction I want to go in, they are sold out. Sigh. Lol. Luckily I'm not wearing Merida until sometime in August, so hopefully I can get the wig before then.

||CURRENT||
Medic & Torakaka & Gou - AWA

||PAST||
{Gaila; Star Trek} {Torakaka; BlazBlue} {Sister of Battle; Warhammer40k} {Bride Witch; Left 4 Dead 2} {fem!RedMedic; Team Fortress 2} {Motoko Kusanagi; GitS: S.A.C 2nd GIG} {Zoey; Left 4 Dead}
psychoaccess is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 06-25-2012, 03:24 PM   #47
Sonsko-chan
Rude and Ginger

Quote:
Originally Posted by psychoaccess View Post
Also, I loved how your dress came out! I really like the fabric and the color. Did you use linen?
Eep, thanks! I'm really happy with it as well (the only things I've actually made in the past two or three years were a sundress, an apron, and a handbag so I'm really pleased). I did use linen because southern CA + wool + summer = not gonna happen. (Of course, I say this two months before I go to Scotland, dress-in-tow. At least, I hope I'll have my dress in tow.)

Quote:
Another question for those that have seen to movie (I want to now but I have to wait a few weeks ) Did this dress ever show up in the movie. I don't want to know the details (see no evil ) I'm just curious.
http://pixar.wikia.com/File:EpilogueDress6.jpg
It's (at least) very similar to the dress she wears at the end but, in my opinion, that dress looked to be a very dark blue rather than black. And, as previously mentioned, it's the base for the face character parks dress. (The second time I saw it, I paid particular attention to the bottom of the dress and it does have some of the same/similar detailing.)

Last edited by Sonsko-chan : 06-25-2012 at 03:26 PM.
Sonsko-chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-25-2012, 03:52 PM   #48
Elycium
Applique ate my soul

Quote:
Did this dress ever show up in the movie. I don't want to know the details (see no evil ) I'm just curious.
http://pixar.wikia.com/File:EpilogueDress6.jpg
Yes it did, very briefly, right at the end. Though I couldn't tell if it was actually black (probably) or just a very dark blue like Sonsko-chan thinks it might be.
Unread 06-25-2012, 05:50 PM   #49
psychoaccess
lithium || flower

@Sonsko-Chan:
I like it! I'm in the same boat, living in Florida, so linen it's going to be for me aswell, haha. I've also only sewn maybe two/three things before this, so I'm hoping it goes well enough.

And, to put some curiosity to rest about the black "Epilogue Dress" I took a screen cap, and also cropped it down to where it only shows Merida wearing the dress, for study:
http://i.imgur.com/UlOHv.jpg
I think it is black, when you look at the highlights on the fabric, they're relatively colorless, and it seems like a velvet fabric. It has the same wide belt and detail at the bottom of the dress as the art does.

EDIT||
Also! I forgot to add. I immediately pestered Arda about their Merry wig, lol. They don't have Merry listed on restock yet, so I thought it couldn't hurt to ask. I was told that they won't be getting the Pumpkin color back into stock for another 4-6 weeks, but! They are also currently working on adding another color variation of Merry soon, that's close to Pumpkin. They just don't have pictures of it yet.

||CURRENT||

||PAST||
{Gaila; Star Trek} {Torakaka; BlazBlue} {Sister of Battle; Warhammer40k} {Bride Witch; Left 4 Dead 2} {fem!RedMedic; Team Fortress 2} {Motoko Kusanagi; GitS: S.A.C 2nd GIG} {Zoey; Left 4 Dead}

Last edited by psychoaccess : 06-25-2012 at 06:00 PM.
Unread 06-25-2012, 10:12 PM   #50
Sonsko-chan
Rude and Ginger

@psychoaccess, Yeah, I feel that linen has a similar aesthetic to wool (at least, based on the wool in the movie) so I think it's a great alternative choice. I might eventually make a version in wool as well but I doubt I'd do it in the teal (ooh, maybe I'll make the Epilogue dress in black wool). I prowled the fabric district in downtown LA for that color because I didn't want to dye if I didn't need to. (What pattern are you using?)

I do think that it looks more velvety than wool but I don't know.
Unread 06-25-2012, 11:20 PM   #51
psychoaccess
lithium || flower

@Sonsko-chan
I like the weave in linen as well, it looks very similar to the texture in the film, so that makes me happy. I haven't gone out to actually go out and try and find it, but apparently, from what others have said in this thread, Jo-Ann's has a teal linen that works? So I might go out and check that out. If not, my fiance's mother might be able to help me find what I want, since she runs a sewing shop. (Up a couple states from me though, so sadly I cannot make use of all the wonderful machines and such they sell OTL) There's also a fabric store about 30 minutes from me that I haven never been to, though I have heard they're a little expensive. I need to figure out my pattern and what I need first, before I go find fabrics.

I planned on using the Butterick B4827. I haven't bought it yet, though. Which did you use?

||CURRENT||

||PAST||
Unread 06-26-2012, 08:48 AM   #52
kiggi

psycho, that is the pattern im using for the aqua dress
kiggi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-26-2012, 09:00 AM   #53
Ani_BEE
Black Magic Woman

Linen is period accurate as well and in the summer no one would wears wool. (I just can not WEAR it against my skin, it break our in a rash. lol)

You can also dye linen to the shade you need as well but from personal experience dyeing a lot of fabrics once requires a fie pit and steel garble scan. lol

Fabric.com has a few hunter green linen options.
http://www.fabric.com/ProductDetail....3-4b16eca9f3a7
http://www.fabric.com/ProductDetail....0-711f55955063
and some blues.
http://www.fabric.com/SearchResults2...3-26a376046a5e

My cape is a texture synthetic fabric I've picked up and need a good washing, it had nice drape and again wool would be a nightmare for the August heat. I will have to option to take it off during the day.

Butterick B4827 is the pattern I'm using as well.

I should take a photo of my fabrics. lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by psychoaccess View Post
@Sonsko-Chan:
And, to put some curiosity to rest about the black "Epilogue Dress" I took a screen cap, and also cropped it down to where it only shows Merida wearing the dress, for study:
http://i.imgur.com/UlOHv.jpg
I think it is black, when you look at the highlights on the fabric, they're relatively colorless, and it seems like a velvet fabric. It has the same wide belt and detail at the bottom of the dress as the art does.
It dose look black with the slight overcast skies but the palette is mush closer to the production sketch for sure. (my fabric is colour to the production shade teal but it's a shade between the "hunting" dress and the final one)

Here is the details on the hem of her princes aqua dress.
http://news.cnet.com/2300-10797_3-10012634-7.html

Edit: With the new larger epilog image I was able to update the pattern details for the tartan. Ordered new swatches for this so this will be listed for sale soon.
http://www.spoonflower.com/fabric/1265267

Unplugged Expo
Madeline Hatter ~ Ever After High (Sat)

Future cosplays/cons:
Anime North (Nehelenia), Otakuthon(maybe), FanEXPO
Allen Crown Clown
Sakizo Anniversary
Steampunk - Bride

For Sale
cosplay items for sale.
Arda & Shop.cosplay wig fiber swatch comparisons & Cosplay props tutorials and Makeup reviews!

Last edited by Ani_BEE : 06-26-2012 at 12:35 PM.
Ani_BEE is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-26-2012, 11:37 AM   #54
Sonsko-chan
Rude and Ginger

@psychoaccess, I agree with you on the film aesthetics. I'm torn between whether I think it's linen or wool. Ooh, good luck on your fabric search!

I actually didn't use a pattern. I modified a generic t-tunic "pattern" to include gores, a back lacing, and modified sleeves. I also added darts to the sides because it was way too big when I first put the dress together. If I remember correctly, I only bought four yards of linen and had half a yard (maybe more?) left after finishing the dress. I did a similar thing for the underdress. I can go into more detail at some point if you'd like me to. (The instructions for a t-tunic can be found via google, I'd link one but I'm on my phone right now).

@Ani_BEE, A huge part of the draw to linen is that it's period. It was important to me that I use period fabrics so I could wear this dress to middle ages reenactment events. (Which is also why I haven't yet made the belt and quiver since I want to use leather and make a fully functional quiver, but there's not a leather store near where I live.)

Last edited by Sonsko-chan : 06-26-2012 at 03:17 PM.
Sonsko-chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-26-2012, 11:42 AM   #55
Ani_BEE
Black Magic Woman

Yes my fabric store have leather but the inflation on it is really expensive ($50 for a 12" square.)

The velveteen I got looks more like wool with the shorter pile to it.

If can can get the fabrci right for the lower part do you think it would be ok to do the epilog dress in the park's palette but with real textiles. lol

Unplugged Expo
Madeline Hatter ~ Ever After High (Sat)

Future cosplays/cons:
Anime North (Nehelenia), Otakuthon(maybe), FanEXPO
Allen Crown Clown
Sakizo Anniversary
Steampunk - Bride

For Sale
cosplay items for sale.
Arda & Shop.cosplay wig fiber swatch comparisons & Cosplay props tutorials and Makeup reviews!

Last edited by Ani_BEE : 06-26-2012 at 12:41 PM.
Ani_BEE is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-26-2012, 03:24 PM   #56
Sonsko-chan
Rude and Ginger

@Ani, Eugh, that's so expensive! When I put together my armor for reenactment, I got an entire hide for about 175$ but I used most (aka all) of it on the armor itself. Hm...I wonder if I can convince my brother to let me make a quiver out of his spare leather.

Also, in my experience, dying linen gets tricky because sometimes the fabric doesn't all take the same coloration.

So making the Epilogue dress in the Parks colors? Because I think that would be just fine (I think I've seen one or two people do that).

@psychoaccess, I've also heard that McCall’s M4490 would be a good starting point for this dress.
Unread 06-26-2012, 05:23 PM   #57
Elycium
Applique ate my soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonsko-chan View Post
@psychoaccess, I've also heard that McCall’s M4490 would be a good starting point for this dress.
I don't know if it was in this thread or the Disney thread that I mentioned it, but I highly recommend staying away from that McCall's pattern. The neckline does amazingly horrible things, and it has a tendency to never come out right.
Unread 06-26-2012, 06:56 PM   #58
Sonsko-chan
Rude and Ginger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elycium View Post
I don't know if it was in this thread or the Disney thread that I mentioned it, but I highly recommend staying away from that McCall's pattern. The neckline does amazingly horrible things, and it has a tendency to never come out right.
It may have been earlier in this thread. I don't have experience with it but it was recommended to me by another cosplayer at one point.
Unread 06-26-2012, 08:18 PM   #59
psychoaccess
lithium || flower

Yeah, it was actually because I saw Elycium's comment earlier about it being difficult to work with that I changed my plan from using the McCalls pattern to the Butterick instead. I haven't bought any pattern yet, just have a list of everything I plan to do/use for this cosplay.

||CURRENT||

||PAST||
Unread 06-27-2012, 04:26 AM   #60
psychoaccess
lithium || flower

Sorry for the double post. But, I actually have something for her now! Lol. Since I already had some clay on hand, I thought I'd give a whirl at making her brooch. Result:

It's about 1.5 inches across. Not entirely sure how I feel about it, I might remake it. I've got paltry tools for my dremel, so nothing that was small enough for the carving, and ended up doing it by hand. I don't know if that just makes it look "period" (lol) or messy. This is also just one coat of paint without adding texture, and I still plan on tarnishing it.

||CURRENT||

||PAST||

Last edited by psychoaccess : 06-27-2012 at 04:50 AM.