Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > Marketplace > Archived Marketplace Forums

Unread 06-26-2012, 10:14 PM   #91
kkroxas2011
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kikaisaigono View Post
Asking someone to pay you as a gift is scamming paypal out of their cut of the sell (the fee) and is against their policies. It also means that should you decide to take the buyer's money and run they can't do a chargeback to get their money back. It's bad, it should be avoided. The fees honestly are not that much and either your or the buyer should just pay them.
i see okay thank you guys you guys helped me sooo much

Unread 06-27-2012, 02:18 PM   #92
Ends Beginning
Onward Comrades!

Quote:
Asking someone to pay you as a gift is scamming paypal out of their cut of the sell (the fee) and is against their policies. It also means that should you decide to take the buyer's money and run they can't do a chargeback to get their money back. It's bad, it should be avoided. The fees honestly are not that much and either your or the buyer should just pay them.
I believe the feee is based on a small percentage so it usually only ends up being a few dollars or less. You should make sure you are clear as to who pays the fees. There are options for have the buyer pay the or have the seller pay them. So if you have the buyer paying them make sure you account for that.
Say you are charging $20 and the fee is $1. make sure the buyer knows to send $21 to cover the fee if not then you will end up with only $19. You wouldn't believe the people I've had to explain that to when I email them telling them they need to send additional funds to pay the fee since they were suppose to pay it, but picked the wrong option and charged me the fee instead. -_-

Oh Captain, My Captain...RIP RW 8/11/14

2014 Convention Schedule-
ConnectiCon -Hartford CT July 11-13
Another Anime Con - Manchester NH October 17-19

~Cosplay 2014 Progress~
Jean!WoC -Attack on Titan 100% done!
Washu Hakubi - Tenchi Muyo! 100% done!
Motoko Kusanagi - GitS 0% (planning stages)
Unread 06-27-2012, 07:36 PM   #93
Kikaisaigono
girl on fire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ends Beginning View Post
I believe the feee is based on a small percentage so it usually only ends up being a few dollars or less. You should make sure you are clear as to who pays the fees. There are options for have the buyer pay the or have the seller pay them. So if you have the buyer paying them make sure you account for that.
Say you are charging $20 and the fee is $1. make sure the buyer knows to send $21 to cover the fee if not then you will end up with only $19. You wouldn't believe the people I've had to explain that to when I email them telling them they need to send additional funds to pay the fee since they were suppose to pay it, but picked the wrong option and charged me the fee instead. -_-
Now paypal asks if you are going to pay the fee or the seller when you check out, and it will add the fee on top of the amount you are already paying (so if you buy something for $20, you still enter 20 in the payment field, select "I will pay the fee" and it will add the fee on for you, no more calculating!

2012 Cosplays:
Bunny Asuka Langley - Sylvia Christel (No More Heroes 2) - Matryoshka Gumi - Kingdom Hearts I Yuffie - Asuka Plugsuit - Seras Victoria - Mami Tomoe - Anarchy Panty - Asuka Plugsuit (damaged)

Conventions I will be attending in 2012:
MomoCon 2012 - Anime Boston - C2E2 - Anime - St. Louis - Acen - Wizard World Chicago - Anime Southeast - Anime Weekend Atlanta - Youmacon
...and more pending!
Unread 07-03-2012, 10:52 AM   #94
kkroxas2011
Banned

Quote:
Now paypal asks if you are going to pay the fee or the seller when you check out, and it will add the fee on top of the amount you are already paying (so if you buy something for $20, you still enter 20 in the payment field, select "I will pay the fee" and it will add the fee on for you, no more calculating!
apparently its also illegal for a seller to ask a buyer to pay the fee's is this also true because i just got answered that you can not tell your buyer to pay as gift but also that you cant ask them to pay the fee's either?
Unread 07-03-2012, 01:41 PM   #95
angelbabycakes
Scorchcake

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkroxas2011 View Post
apparently its also illegal for a seller to ask a buyer to pay the fee's is this also true because i just got answered that you can not tell your buyer to pay as gift but also that you cant ask them to pay the fee's either?
It specifically states this in the user agreement as being a violation, but if PayPal is changing the policy, then great for sellers! It may be that you have to say you are charging the surcharge upfront...I think I read something of that nature on the updated policy. The best way to find out is to ask PayPal. I think I'll do just that and report back with what I'm told.

EDIT: Policy as of May 1, 2012

4.6 No Surcharges. You agree that you will not impose a surcharge or any other fee for accepting PayPal as a payment method. You may charge a handling fee in connection with the sale of goods or services, as long as the handling fee does not operate as a surcharge and is not higher than the handling fee you charge for non-PayPal transactions.

8. Fees.

8.1 Fees Overview.

Fees are based on whether you are making a Purchase Payment, a Personal Payment or a PayPal Business Payment. Some fees are expressed as a percentage of the payment amount. All Fees are in U.S. Dollars unless otherwise stated.

For Purchase Payments, the recipient of the payment will always pay the Fee.
(ie. the seller)

Here is where I think people are getting confused...
** For PayPal Business Payments (not purchase, which is used for transactions by most people on Coscom), the PayPal Business Payment Fee is paid by the recipient unless it is disclosed to you before you send the payment that you, the sender, must pay this Fee.

This is only applicable by PayPal Business Payments (to be in this field, you must be an actual business and have submitted an application, have actual monthly revenue proof, and been approved by PayPal). Yes, there is an option where the seller can choose to pay the fee or have the buyer pay the fee, but only if you qualify as a PayPal Business, otherwise, charging the buyer the seller surcharges is a breach of their agreement and can be punishable by legal means, fines, suspension of account, etc.

I hoped this help clear up any confusion.

Last edited by angelbabycakes : 07-03-2012 at 02:58 PM.
Unread 07-05-2012, 03:32 PM   #96
angelbabycakes
Scorchcake

I have a question about photos of products.

Rule 24 says it must be of the actual item you are selling...does this mean no stock photos (meaning if it came from eBay, a site, etc)?

If so, several people are breaking that rule.
Unread 07-09-2012, 12:25 PM   #97
maggietron
I need stuff!

Yea Im getting sick of seeing stock photos, and Also that people aren't posting pics at all of the costume in the thread.
I know they are saying " will send a pic to serious buyers via emails" But how is someone supposed to know if they seriously want to buy it when they dont even know what it looks like. I also hate wasting my time by emailing, waiting for a response with pics attached, and then turning around not wanting it cause of whatever reason. I feel that's more of a waste of time for the buyer and the seller, especially if the seller is thinking the person is 100% committed to wanting it caused they emailed. End of rant.
Unread 07-09-2012, 12:39 PM   #98
Ninbri
omnomnom~♥

I access coscom via my cell phone, and it takes up quote a lot of time to upload pictures to an.image hosting site, switching windows, posting them here, especially if there's more than one. I find e-mailing easier for me personally because its connected straight to.my phone and I can answer almost immediately with pictures attached.

Next Con: Mechacon
Saturday:
Stewardess Stocking
Sunday:

Facebook: link
DeviantArt: HERE
Unread 07-09-2012, 01:31 PM   #99
Ends Beginning
Onward Comrades!

I agree with maggietron on the whole "emailing thing" I mean at least post one or two pictures in the thread. If the seller only wants serious buyers then they are more likly to weed out the not so serious ones with a few decent pictures. Then the serious ones can email the seller for more pictures if they want them.

Oh Captain, My Captain...RIP RW 8/11/14

2014 Convention Schedule-
ConnectiCon -Hartford CT July 11-13
Another Anime Con - Manchester NH October 17-19

~Cosplay 2014 Progress~
Jean!WoC -Attack on Titan 100% done!
Washu Hakubi - Tenchi Muyo! 100% done!
Motoko Kusanagi - GitS 0% (planning stages)
Unread 07-09-2012, 01:57 PM   #100
Chao-Fangirl
Plushie Artist

If a seller cannot take the time to properly advertise what they are selling (and that includes posting pictures in their ad), then I will simply move on to the next sales thread.

http://www.a-chan--creations.deviantart.com
Unread 07-09-2012, 02:18 PM   #101
Ninbri
omnomnom~♥

butRight, it does get annoying if a seller has absolutely no pictures on their post. There is no point to that.
But posting one or two generic pictures of what your selling and asking buyers to e-mail you for more up close and detailed photos is reasonable.

Next Con: Mechacon
Saturday:
Stewardess Stocking
Sunday:

Facebook: link
DeviantArt: HERE
Unread 07-09-2012, 05:30 PM   #102
Chao-Fangirl
Plushie Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by brilikesmoose View Post
butRight, it does get annoying if a seller has absolutely no pictures on their post. There is no point to that.
But posting one or two generic pictures of what your selling and asking buyers to e-mail you for more up close and detailed photos is reasonable.
As long as the buyer is able to get a basic idea as to what the item(s) look like, that sounds reasonable to me.

http://www.a-chan--creations.deviantart.com
Unread 07-09-2012, 06:00 PM   #103
maggietron
I need stuff!

Quote:
Originally Posted by brilikesmoose View Post
I access coscom via my cell phone, and it takes up quote a lot of time to upload pictures to an.image hosting site, switching windows, posting them here, especially if there's more than one. I find e-mailing easier for me personally because its connected straight to.my phone and I can answer almost immediately with pictures attached.
I understand where your coming from, but there is no way that they ALL are doing the same. If you wanna sell something then like everyone else said, atleast show one pic, and if someones serious they can have more pics emailed to them.
But I tend to do the same. If there are no pics i move on.
Unread 07-09-2012, 07:31 PM   #104
Chergnomebyl
Landshark

Agreed. If I was a seller, I would at least like to show off the merchandice I am selling. It helps out everyone who wishes to purchase it, that way they know what the condition of the costume is in without having to e-mail people, then finding out it's something completely different. Providing pictures makes it easier for us to see if we think it's worth buying.

https://www.facebook.com/ChergnomebylProps
Unread 07-12-2012, 04:44 PM   #105
kkroxas2011
Banned

i think ADMIN should really put a delete button