Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay by Series/Genre > Comics/Cartoons > Disney Cosplay

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 52 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 06-27-2012, 10:28 AM   #61
WARPAINTandUnicorns
Black Magic Woman

Yes it might be a long shot but I want to try this method of bleach out the design in velveteen and redye the sections lighter blue. I will be making this section out of the extra fabric I got rater then ruin the dress fabric if it doesn't work i still have my standard dress. I'm also most certain they don't sell Soft Scrub in Canada so I'll be looking for a alternative.

Tho other option is to strip the extra fabric and redye it the lighter colour then cut and sew the pattern on. I want the texture to be the same otherwise I you go with a other fabric in a lighter shade.

The Disney parks dresses are actual two tone with the lower section is in a black background for the design.

Tarnishing makes everything look better.

Anime North '15
Souryuu / Sohryu - Yami no Matsuei (Fri)
Nehelenia ~ Sailor Moon (Sat)

Future cosplays/cons:
Allen Crown Clown
Sakizo Anniversary
Steampunk - Bride

For Sale
cosplay items, wigs, and materails for sale.
Arda & Shop.cosplay wig fiber swatch comparisons & Cosplay props tutorials and Makeup reviews!

Last edited by WARPAINTandUnicorns : 06-27-2012 at 04:59 PM.
WARPAINTandUnicorns is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 06-28-2012, 09:45 AM   #62
Assiduity
xPresistent;

Woop, been a bit since I replied within her sadly, since you all seem polite and what not.
I've been working on getting things completed for Anime Expo, which is tomorrow.

Anyways, I can't wait to be Elinor, especially after seeing the movie.
I'm especially excited to work on her wig, since there isn't a whole lot to do, but I will say I am slightly struggling upon finding one.
I found this but I'm uncertain when I split it and start the weird ponytail type things, I really have no idea what to call them xD;, they won't be thick enough.
A friend had mentioned getting some pigtails and putting them in there, but he never explained how to really.

Basically, my question is how can I maybe make it look a bit more thicker without spending too much upon very long wefts, or even buying a second wig and doing the wefts that way?

Also, a friend has a grey weft left over, so I'm super excited for her to help me get that into my wig.

I'd also post references, but it's a bit hard at this point sadly, since there's no many screenshots of back view that are big or good quality >__<;!
{ Serah Farron (Final Fantasy XIII) – 0% }
- - -
Other Sites I'm on:
- Deviantart ;
- ACParadise ;
- - -
"A friend is one who knows you and loves you just the same." - Elbert Hubbard
Assiduity is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-28-2012, 03:40 PM   #63
Sonsko-chan
Rude and Ginger

@Assiduity, have you considered putting something in the middle (yarn, padding, etc.) and wrapping the wig around that to add some shape to it? I once saw a Rapunzel wig tutorial that did that and it seemed to work out pretty well. I can't find it right now but I think it was on deviantart.
Unread 06-28-2012, 04:36 PM   #64
WARPAINTandUnicorns
Black Magic Woman

Padding is golden, most wig maker, make pillow in the the shame colour as the hair and shape you need and stuff it. This allow the structure to still bend also if the hair shift to reveal some thinner spots the fabric being the same colour will allow it to be less noticeable.

You also need to sew the pillow to the base of the wig as well for the gathered ponytail.

Anime North '15

Future cosplays/cons:
Allen Crown Clown
Sakizo Anniversary
Steampunk - Bride

For Sale
Arda & Shop.cosplay wig fiber swatch comparisons & Cosplay props tutorials and Makeup reviews!
Unread 06-28-2012, 05:22 PM   #65
Assiduity
xPresistent;

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonsko-chan View Post
@Assiduity, have you considered putting something in the middle (yarn, padding, etc.) and wrapping the wig around that to add some shape to it? I once saw a Rapunzel wig tutorial that did that and it seemed to work out pretty well. I can't find it right now but I think it was on deviantart.
I have, it crossed my mind last night right before bed.
I don't want it to be too heavy or thick, due to how small I am, I'm only 5 feet tall XD;, so I worry that my head will go looking towards the sky if too heavy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ani_BEE View Post
Padding is golden, most wig maker, make pillow in the the shame colour as the hair and shape you need and stuff it. This allow the structure to still bend also if the hair shift to reveal some thinner spots the fabric being the same colour will allow it to be less noticeable.

You also need to sew the pillow to the base of the wig as well for the gathered ponytail.
Ahh okay.
So I should be fine with just the one wig and if needed, some added wefts as well?
{ Serah Farron (Final Fantasy XIII) – 0% }
- - -
Other Sites I'm on:
- Deviantart ;
- ACParadise ;
- - -
"A friend is one who knows you and loves you just the same." - Elbert Hubbard
Assiduity is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-29-2012, 06:21 AM   #66
Tigress
Bitch-Kitty on Wheels

Quote:
Originally Posted by Assiduity View Post
I have, it crossed my mind last night right before bed.
I don't want it to be too heavy or thick, due to how small I am, I'm only 5 feet tall XD;, so I worry that my head will go looking towards the sky if too heavy.
Given you're only 5', you could probably get away with a Godiva-length wig. You can use the pillow idea and use wefts to cover the thin areas. They don't have to be huge, just big enough to give it volume. You could also try pool noodles.

One of the most basic rules for survival on any planet is never to upset someone wearing black leather. (This is why protesters against the wearing of animal skins by humans unaccountably fail to throw their paint over Hell's Angels.) -- Terry Pratchett
Tigress is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-29-2012, 09:17 AM   #67
WARPAINTandUnicorns
Black Magic Woman

pool noodles work well with jump braid because her have seem to have a bit more flow the pillow idea would work out to be more softer. I think the one wig and a few wefts should cover it. Also because the pillow is fabric could can sew on wefts to it directly as well.

Anime North '15

Future cosplays/cons:
Allen Crown Clown
Sakizo Anniversary
Steampunk - Bride

For Sale
Unread 06-29-2012, 11:57 AM   #68
ElysionPrincess

Wig Help

Okay. So I read through this whole thing, and looked at all of the suggestions for the Merida wig.
However, I still am not content with the colors. I like the look of Arda's Merry in pumpkin, but at the same time, I don't think there's enough volume at the top (it seems very thin to me), and it's a bit too orange for my tastes.
Then when looking elsewhere, all of the reds are too deep.
I just want to find a wig with the right balance of red and orange. I love the look of the face character's wig. Does anyone have any suggestions? ^^ I'm also very particular about length. Most wigs I've seen either fall just below the shoulders of above, and that's much too short in my opinion.
Is there a way to lighten/dye wigs? ^^
ElysionPrincess is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-29-2012, 12:17 PM   #69
WARPAINTandUnicorns
Black Magic Woman

I've covered what your looking for here.
http://www.cosplay.com/showthread.php?t=289563

Light Ginger in the Mona Lise line is the closets to the Disney parks shade but a tad to light.
And yes you can dye a wig darker but I'm taking a gamble on dyeing the lioness because I don't know how well the ink would take to set set wig.

http://www.fanpop.com/spots/brave/im...a-images-photo
http://www.diszine.com/wp-content/up...sney-parks.jpg
http://static.attractionsmagazine.co...2-46-44-pm.jpg
http://www.flickr.com/photos/4451715...n/photostream/
http://www.insidethemagic.net/2012/0...-disney-world/

Also for reference this cosplayer use two of Arda wigs.
http://www.cosplay.com/costume/418350/

Edit: Actually if any ones interested in the Mona Lise Lioness in Light Ginger I was thinking of selling it off with the 3/4 wig extension int he same shade because I love the Arda Pumpkin shade in person. Own a swatch ring so I know what I'm buying.^_^

Anime North '15

Future cosplays/cons:
Allen Crown Clown
Sakizo Anniversary
Steampunk - Bride

For Sale

Last edited by WARPAINTandUnicorns : 06-30-2012 at 10:16 AM.
Unread 06-29-2012, 12:41 PM   #70
ElysionPrincess

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ani_BEE View Post
I've covered what your looking for here.
http://www.cosplay.com/showthread.php?t=289563

Light Ginger in the Mona Lise line is the closets to the Disney parks shade but a tad to light.
And yes you can dye a wig darker but I'm taking a gamble on dyeing the lioness because I don't know how well the ink would take to set set wig.

http://www.diszine.com/wp-content/up...sney-parks.jpg
http://static.attractionsmagazine.co...2-46-44-pm.jpg
http://www.flickr.com/photos/4451715...n/photostream/
http://www.insidethemagic.net/2012/0...-disney-world/

Also for reference this cosplayer use two of Arda wigs.
http://www.cosplay.com/costume/418350/

Edit: Actually if any ones interested in the Mona Lise Lioness in Light Ginger I was thinking of selling it off with the 2/4 wig extension because I love the Arda Pumpkin shade in person. ^_^
Thank you for that! I'm sorry I must have missed it haha.
I think I have a better idea of what I'm looking for now ;D
ElysionPrincess is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-30-2012, 04:06 PM   #71
psychoaccess
lithium || flower

Gah, so I was hoping, sincerely hoping that the new color variations Arda said they were going to have for Merry would include Light Copper Red, but unfortunately it is the Dark Copper Red. Way too dark for Merida. The Light Copper Red probably would have been a decent replacement for the Pumpkin, I think.
I still like their wig best, so now it's the waiting game of restock, or them introducing the Light Copper Red color. =\ Whichever comes first.

||CURRENT||
Medic & Torakaka & Gou - AWA

||PAST||
{Gaila; Star Trek} {Torakaka; BlazBlue} {Sister of Battle; Warhammer40k} {Bride Witch; Left 4 Dead 2} {fem!RedMedic; Team Fortress 2} {Motoko Kusanagi; GitS: S.A.C 2nd GIG} {Zoey; Left 4 Dead}
psychoaccess is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-01-2012, 04:08 PM   #72
Shana05
Annie Leonhardt Lover

I'm thinking of doing Merida right now, especially for the Renaissance festival. I'm wondering how the Butterick B4827 pattern is. I've never used their patterns as I hear they are confusing.
Unread 07-04-2012, 03:29 PM   #73
WARPAINTandUnicorns
Black Magic Woman

Butterick is not bad really but I usually forgo the instructions as I find those at times confusing. lol Most things are marked out clearly however to know what they are implying. With a dress I feel like it's a simpler pattern then some of theirs as well.

I used there B5440 Misses' Costume for the base of my Red Queen. I only ran into trouble with it because they didn't have plus sizes at the time fro the pattern so scaling up was a nightmare.

For reference here a picture of me in Light Copper Red.
http://www.cosplay.com/photo/3239015/ I look so PALE in it. haha

I also got my Merry wig and I'm just waiting on my Glinda to come in before messing with them. My Bow is in Canada so I'm hoping it will show up on Firday. ^_^

Anime North '15

Future cosplays/cons:
Allen Crown Clown
Sakizo Anniversary
Steampunk - Bride

For Sale

Last edited by WARPAINTandUnicorns : 07-04-2012 at 03:38 PM.
Unread 07-05-2012, 04:50 PM   #74
Shana05
Annie Leonhardt Lover

I bought the pattern today as they were on sale. I did locate a linen fabric that's the right color (or close enough for my tastes) Although, I knew they didn't have enough on the roll. I wasn't planning on buying the fabric yet anyway but this may mean that I will need to buy it online.
Unread 07-05-2012, 04:58 PM   #75
Elycium
Applique ate my soul

Shana, if you liked the colour of the fabric you saw in the store, and there wasn't enough on the roll, you can ask them to order more, and they'll call you when your order comes in. That way you don't have to worry about the fabric coming in the wrong colour from online. Plus, generally when you have the store order it (if its like a Jo Ann's) you won't have to pay for the shipping.

As for the Butterick pattern, that particular one is very straight forward. You probably won't even need the directions, as it really is an obvious "piece a fits to piece b" type dress.

Upcoming Costumes
Alibaba - Magi: The Labyrinth of Magic
H/A Elsa - Frozen
Yunan - Magi: The Labyrinth of Magic
Mephisto Pheles - Ao No Exorcist
Elycium is offline   Reply With Quote