Go Back   Cosplay.com > US Convention Forums > Anime Expo

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 12 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 06-28-2012, 04:43 PM   #1
Hime no Toki
NiGHTmaren
Modoka Magica

Anime Expo 2012: Feedback Thread

This thread is for posting your thoughts/opinions on AX 2012!

From your experience this year, what were the pros and cons? What were the highlights and lowlights? Would you return again next year?

Also, you can discuss the particulars of the convention, such as the events, panels, masquerade, dances, etc., as well as what you thought about the con and hotel staff, the hotel, convention space, food, dealer's room, attendees, and whatever else pertaining to this year's AnimeExpo.

2014 - Upcoming Conventions :
Anime Weekend Atlanta (GA) - FandomCon (FL)

Upcoming costumes : Suzie Q from JoJo's Bizarre Adventure, Edea Lee (various versions) from Bravely Default, and more!

http://www.facebook.com/NiGHTmarenCosplay
Hime no Toki is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 06-28-2012, 05:27 PM   #2
El_Duque
miyoshi82

Even though I am not there this year, I look forward to this thread being filled up during and after con.
Twitter
Con History
Anime Los Angeles 2011-2013
Anime Expo 2006-2011
San Diego Comic Con 1994-present
Comikaze Expo 2011, 2013
Long Beach Comic Con 2009-2012
Anime Conji 2010-present
El_Duque is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-30-2012, 10:21 AM   #3
Freight
Rolling 20's Podcast Host

Well, Day 1, with the area outside west hall fenced off for X-Fest, has been ridiculously crowded with everyone shoehorned into the LACC. The Dealer's Hall opened 30 minutes late and the South Hall Lobby was shoulder to shoulder about halfway to the door. It looked like a Fire Marshall's nightmare scenario.

Inside the Dealer's hall was very similar with people so pressed together, it was like being in a cattle herd. You practically needed to shove your way to a table, and most of them had people in front of them from corner to corner.

My wife is pregnant, and someone was twirling posters in the crowded aisle, then was mad at her when he hit her.
Freight is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-30-2012, 12:29 PM   #4
Codename Otacon
Force a Nature

(Went on Friday only)

-Parking: $15!! Ouch, its the same price as Disneyland parking. I parked at Venice parking, wasn't it cheaper last year?

-Registration Line: Did a lot of people went on Day 0? I was shocked to see the line short and fast on Friday. Got there around 10:40am and I got my badge in 10mins. Hope it will stay the same for next year. Love the Registration this year, really fast!

-Badges: Very ugly and plain this year.

-Exhibit Hall: Why did they opened the exhibit hall 30mins late? The South Hall got very crowded. When the exhibit hall opened, everyone was shoving and pushing.DX

-Inside the exhibit hall: It was alright I guess.

This year AX was okay, but I didn't feel any excitement. Hopefully next year, AX would be better.

*Conventions for 2015*
Wonder Con
Anime Expo

*Cosplay list for 2015*
Red Medic(Fem!)-Team Fortress 2
Red Scout(Fem!)-Team Fortress 2
Codename Otacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-30-2012, 02:31 PM   #5
El_Duque
miyoshi82

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freight View Post
Well, Day 1, with the area outside west hall fenced off for X-Fest, has been ridiculously crowded with everyone shoehorned into the LACC. The Dealer's Hall opened 30 minutes late and the South Hall Lobby was shoulder to shoulder about halfway to the door. It looked like a Fire Marshall's nightmare scenario.

Inside the Dealer's hall was very similar with people so pressed together, it was like being in a cattle herd. You practically needed to shove your way to a table, and most of them had people in front of them from corner to corner.

My wife is pregnant, and someone was twirling posters in the crowded aisle, then was mad at her when he hit her.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chibi Baka Zaru View Post
(Went on Friday only)

-Parking: $15!! Ouch, its the same price as Disneyland parking. I parked at Venice parking, wasn't it cheaper last year?

-Registration Line: Did a lot of people went on Day 0? I was shocked to see the line short and fast on Friday. Got there around 10:40am and I got my badge in 10mins. Hope it will stay the same for next year. Love the Registration this year, really fast!

-Badges: Very ugly and plain this year.

-Exhibit Hall: Why did they opened the exhibit hall 30mins late? The South Hall got very crowded. When the exhibit hall opened, everyone was shoving and pushing.DX

-Inside the exhibit hall: It was alright I guess.

This year AX was okay, but I didn't feel any excitement. Hopefully next year, AX would be better.
Aye caramba! Is it that bad? I saw a picture of the South Hall being crowded prior to opening and I'm not sure if I should be happy for skipping this year. I've been watching the X-Games on ESPN and it doesn't seem to be crowded the last two days. I'm expected today and tommorow are going to be the pits.
Twitter
Con History
Anime Expo 2006-2011
Comikaze Expo 2011, 2013
Anime Conji 2010-present

Last edited by El_Duque : 06-30-2012 at 02:39 PM.
Unread 06-30-2012, 10:24 PM   #6
Freight
Rolling 20's Podcast Host

It was a bit better today, but I still haven't bought anything but a pocket knife in the dealer's room. It's not the wares so much as it's still difficult to stop and browse.

The interior of the convention center is actually less comfortable than the outside to me. With the exception of sun exposure, it's much cooler. People are lining the walls in every area, including places previously very quiet. There's barely anywhere that isn't uncomfortable inside.
Freight is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-30-2012, 11:20 PM   #7
Seirei92

Just a curious question, did anyone happen to see those crazy Christian freaks outside the expo around the afternoon today during day 2? Not to sound stupid but why didn't staff like get them out of the area, and not to sound like a jerk or anything but damn that thing was annoying
-_-
Seirei92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-30-2012, 11:41 PM   #8
El_Duque
miyoshi82

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seirei92 View Post
Just a curious question, did anyone happen to see those crazy Christian freaks outside the expo around the afternoon today during day 2? Not to sound stupid but why didn't staff like get them out of the area, and not to sound like a jerk or anything but damn that thing was annoying
-_-
Did these guys travel from Fanime or something? Unfortunately since they are outside the LACC, they are well in their right to do whatever they want since the outside is public property.
Twitter
Con History
Anime Expo 2006-2011
Comikaze Expo 2011, 2013
Anime Conji 2010-present
Unread 07-01-2012, 12:40 AM   #9
KaiBu

Well... I think it was freedom of speech.. But at the same time it
was ALSO harassment. I was very offended and hurt by it and almost
cried a couple times.
I just found it very mean for those religious jerks to stand outside
the convention and just... Say things about heaven or hell.

Past Cosplays;
Yoko Littner: 100%
Yui(sao): 100%
Asuna Yuuki: 100%
Lightning(FFXIII): 75%
Yui Hirasawa: 95%
Tifa Lockhart: 95%
KaiBu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-01-2012, 01:35 AM   #10
El_Duque
miyoshi82

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaiBu View Post
Well... I think it was freedom of speech.. But at the same time it
was ALSO harassment. I was very offended and hurt by it and almost
cried a couple times.
I just found it very mean for those religious jerks to stand outside
the convention and just... Say things about heaven or hell.
Don't let them get to you. You almost crying is what they want. Just ignore them and be on your way. I had to deal with them on different occasions and I just ignore their bs banter and just smile and laugh to myself.
Twitter
Con History
Anime Expo 2006-2011
Comikaze Expo 2011, 2013
Anime Conji 2010-present
Unread 07-01-2012, 12:49 PM   #11
SL3661

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seirei92 View Post
-_-
I thought it was funny because it reminds me of Guilty Gear whenever he says Heaven or Hell. No in the line played GG before? I was hoping someone would follow up~

Heaven or Hell
DUEL ONE
LETS ROCK!
SL3661 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-01-2012, 07:31 PM   #12
Access

No problems with the con itself, other than it being held the same weekend as the x games, staff was always nice when we encountered them, attitude was relatively permissive like in 2011. X games made getting to an event in the marriot difficult, it must have taken our group 20 minutes of walking versus the ordinary 5. More after tommorow.
Access is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-01-2012, 07:56 PM   #13
TBZK

I know there is probably not much that can be done about this situation...but the X Games blocked all kinds of things x_x You had to walk in the convention center to get to West hall instead of walking around it. But dah well.

The badges: You're anime expo, your badges should look a little nicer than a 2,000 person convention :/...

Overall: It was extremely lackluster this year. The addition of the 21+ lounge was a nice addition, but overall there was nothing to be excited for. I miss the stage outside in LA Live with that neat laser show. I miss the big booths of neatness from a couple years ago (though I know you don't have control of that). This year was very "panels and exhibit hall and a couple concerts of who?..." I feel Anime Expo needs to have something to hype people up throughout the convention, like that stage in LA Live, it gets people pumped throughout the convention. Get a megaphone and pump up your attendees, be witty. I know you are a larger convention and need to be a little more professional than smaller cons, but I find Anime Expo very bland this year. Maybe have a cool little festival with games. If you can break out of your new typical "panels, exhibit hall and concerts" rotation, you older attendees might get excited for AX again.

Edit: Also, not a fan of the poster with the birls boobs touching and looking a bit scandalous. Amazing art, but not for Anime Expo since familys come to this convention and some parents who just bring their children because their child likes Sailor Moon and DBZ would more than likely not want to see being the forefront poster of this convention. I wasn't too happy with that this year either because the glowing focal point is on the girls faces and boobs :/

2nd Edit: I do have to thank you about letting people sit against the walls now since last year. I know that must've been a huge effort on your part to talk to the LACC about that. I just want to thank you for that again (because there if literally no place to sit in there when they banned sitting against walls lol).

Last edited by TBZK : 07-02-2012 at 12:42 AM.
TBZK is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-01-2012, 09:24 PM   #14
venny

Man...the most I can say are complaints, even though I did enjoy AX.

AX dance was bad. Music was meh. (Really needed that much dubstep?) The only drinks were water in the back of the room. If you needed to go to the restroom, you can't re-enter and instead go in the HUGE (1 hr+ wait) line to get into the dance. I blame the X games for this though, Nokia theater would've been a MUCH better place to host it. Especially since we could drink over there. haha

Exhibit hall. Crowded as always, so I'm not going to complain

Badge line did go really fast. I liked that. =D

Saturday's schedule was just so bland, but the Sunday schedule looked awesome. Sadly couldn't enjoy Sunday cause I had work the next day and a lot of other people. Wish they could've switched the schedules.

Putting all the tabletop/console/arcade stuff into a big room was a pretty good idea. It was just so cramped before in the rooms, even if they did separate the 3.

21+ lounge had such a huge line. Couldn't get tentacle grape.

Magic show was good. The last guy they had was just so entertaining.

I really missed going to the area outside the west hall. It was spacious and you can find a lot of good cosplayers there. Can't have them all in the main lobby, it was just too crowded that way. STUPID X GAMES, I BLAME THEM!
venny is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-01-2012, 10:28 PM   #15
someonewhodied
Strange Gamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SL3661 View Post
I thought it was funny because it reminds me of Guilty Gear whenever he says Heaven or Hell. No in the line played GG before? I was hoping someone would follow up~

Heaven or Hell
DUEL ONE
LETS ROCK!
I actually had that play through in my head when that happened lol.
someonewhodied is offline   Reply With Quote