Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > Cosplay Suggestions

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 06-30-2012, 03:23 AM   #1
SparklyCosplay

How to make a Madoka cosplay stand out?

Okay, so Puella Magi Madoka Magica has become very popular, so I'm sure that at 2013's Anime Expo there will be like 20 Madokas running around. But I'd like to cosplay Madoka at next year's AX. So I'm wondering, how could I make mine stand out above the others? I'm not trying to be full of myself, I just don't want to be seen as another Madoka clone...Plus I just love it when someone says, "You look awesome! Can I take your picture?"
SparklyCosplay is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 06-30-2012, 03:38 AM   #2
Doomy-chan
Doomy

you have to be sure to get everydetail perfect. make sure all the pink is the right shade, the ribbons are tied right and not all limp. make sure the skirt is the exact bell shape. include accessories like the cat thing and her egg and her weapon. importantly make sure the wig isnt limp, madokas pigtails are full and shapely. oh and die your eyebrows. all i know is suggest the physical details. im sure by the time you cosplay as her that itll have died down a little.
Aerith (ff7)
Mami Tomoe (Puella Magi Madoka Magica)
Doomy-chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-30-2012, 05:04 AM   #3
artsynicola

You could add some props to your costume like a plush kyubey and her rose like bow and light arrow like in the anime? Also, you should go for pink contacts to match her character, not many madoka cosplayers I've seen have the correct pink contacts.
artsynicola is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-30-2012, 07:50 PM   #4
SparklyCosplay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doomy-chan View Post
you have to be sure to get everydetail perfect. make sure all the pink is the right shade, the ribbons are tied right and not all limp. make sure the skirt is the exact bell shape. include accessories like the cat thing and her egg and her weapon. importantly make sure the wig isnt limp, madokas pigtails are full and shapely. oh and die your eyebrows. all i know is suggest the physical details. im sure by the time you cosplay as her that itll have died down a little.
Thanks! I'm not good with details, haha, but I will try my best!
Unread 06-30-2012, 07:53 PM   #5
SparklyCosplay

Quote:
Originally Posted by artsynicola View Post
You could add some props to your costume like a plush kyubey and her rose like bow and light arrow like in the anime? Also, you should go for pink contacts to match her character, not many madoka cosplayers I've seen have the correct pink contacts.
I already have a Kyubey plushie lol
I found the perfect pink contacts on HoneyColor, so I think I'll get those. (What do you think? http://www.honeycolor.com/flora-brenda-pink.html ) You're right, a lot of people get red, or no contacts at all.
Unread 06-30-2012, 08:07 PM   #6
pinkirlia

You have to mak yours unique in some way. The only ways I know to do this are:

Make it extrodinarily bad but still recognizable. You'll get noticed for sure but you run the risk of no one saying anything.

Bring epic props and screw around. Huge guns, fake refrigerator, bullet written QB (bonus points if they're real bullet holes) so that you stand out just for being awesome. If you see a Cthulu cosplayer, pretend to punch him out. If you see a Pedobear, pretend to kick his ass. If you see other Madokas, pose with them. This way people can't resist taking photos.

Make your costume flashy. Add glitter to the bows. Go overboard on the makeup. Get creative with the soul gem. Crank up the frills to eleven. Wear only the highest of heels. It might not be accurate but it will be so pretty and unique that no one will nitpick.
pinkirlia is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-30-2012, 08:23 PM   #7
Aeternus

Have you thought of cosplaying as Goddess Madoka? Most Madoka cosplayers wear her pink and white mahou shoujo outfit. Her Goddess Madoka form is not quite as recognizable but perhaps carry around her rose bow to help make the connection.

If you're set on her pink and white outfit, then I agree it's all in the details and the props. You may also want to make sure you choose good fabrics - play around with the textures and stuff.
Aeternus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-30-2012, 10:24 PM   #8
Fairypiranha
Evil Midget of Doom

I love Madoka's pink costume! I second Pinkirlia's comment about going over the top. I am going to compare it through Sailor moons so I hope you get what I mean. It's like comparing the first season sailor senshi costume that Usagi wears to the Eternal Sailor moon with the added ruffles, shoulder pads, and other various shiny stuff. Have fun with it and take it as an excuse to let out your inner hyper princess.
Fairypiranha is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-30-2012, 10:58 PM   #9
SparklyCosplay

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkirlia View Post
You have to mak yours unique in some way. The only ways I know to do this are:

Make it extrodinarily bad but still recognizable. You'll get noticed for sure but you run the risk of no one saying anything.

Bring epic props and screw around. Huge guns, fake refrigerator, bullet written QB (bonus points if they're real bullet holes) so that you stand out just for being awesome. If you see a Cthulu cosplayer, pretend to punch him out. If you see a Pedobear, pretend to kick his ass. If you see other Madokas, pose with them. This way people can't resist taking photos.

Make your costume flashy. Add glitter to the bows. Go overboard on the makeup. Get creative with the soul gem. Crank up the frills to eleven. Wear only the highest of heels. It might not be accurate but it will be so pretty and unique that no one will nitpick.
Lol, I like the "extraordinarily bad" tip haha
But anyway, I think I'll try and make my costume as flashy and unique as possible. (I don't know why, but I just LOVE it when cosplayers do that!) And I ALWAYS go overboard with makeup, haha
Unread 06-30-2012, 10:59 PM   #10
SparklyCosplay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeternus View Post
Have you thought of cosplaying as Goddess Madoka? Most Madoka cosplayers wear her pink and white mahou shoujo outfit. Her Goddess Madoka form is not quite as recognizable but perhaps carry around her rose bow to help make the connection.

If you're set on her pink and white outfit, then I agree it's all in the details and the props. You may also want to make sure you choose good fabrics - play around with the textures and stuff.
I actually thought about that, but I really like her regular Magical Girl outfit. (It's so pink and frilly!)
But thank you for the suggestion
Unread 06-30-2012, 11:01 PM   #11
SparklyCosplay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairypiranha View Post
I love Madoka's pink costume! I second Pinkirlia's comment about going over the top. I am going to compare it through Sailor moons so I hope you get what I mean. It's like comparing the first season sailor senshi costume that Usagi wears to the Eternal Sailor moon with the added ruffles, shoulder pads, and other various shiny stuff. Have fun with it and take it as an excuse to let out your inner hyper princess.
I've only watched the first episode of Sailor Moon, but I get what you're talking about. I'll try and make mine really over-the-top
Unread 07-01-2012, 12:04 AM   #12
Doomy-chan
Doomy

Quote:
Originally Posted by SparklyCosplay View Post
I already have a Kyubey plushie lol
I found the perfect pink contacts on HoneyColor, so I think I'll get those. (What do you think? http://www.honeycolor.com/flora-brenda-pink.html ) You're right, a lot of people get red, or no contacts at all.
i like the contacts. going with what the others say i like the idea of glittering and sparkling the bows, maybe even lace trim on the sleeves, neck, hem. the reason you like her pink outfit is because of the pink and frily so go all out. and be sure to show us when you debut it
Aerith (ff7)
Mami Tomoe (Puella Magi Madoka Magica)
Doomy-chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-02-2012, 12:54 AM   #13
SparklyCosplay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doomy-chan View Post
i like the contacts. going with what the others say i like the idea of glittering and sparkling the bows, maybe even lace trim on the sleeves, neck, hem. the reason you like her pink outfit is because of the pink and frily so go all out. and be sure to show us when you debut it
I'm worried about how expensive this is gonna be, haha
Okay, I will