Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay by Series/Genre > Comics/Cartoons > Disney Cosplay

Unread 06-30-2012, 06:35 PM   #1
TaintedBliss
Monster, Mermaid, Muffin

Little Mermaid Help?

Alright, I've done a thread search just to be certain that these questions haven't been asked before, since I know Ariel is a popular character to cosplay, and I didn't find anything so here goes:

I'm going to a con in September and, last year, it was unbearably hot. So I have decided to be mermaid Ariel this time around, so I can stay cool in the water Which brings me to my first question:
I have heard (in a very handed-down, "Telephone game" sort of way) that if a wig is styled wit caulking instead of, say, freeze spray or Got2b gel, it will hold its style underwater. Can anyone verify this? If not, I'll probably just not bother styling the bangs because they'll come undone in the water.

Second question is regarding her shells. I don't want to use real shells painted purple like I see a lot of girls do. I want to make shells that look more like the Disneyland Face Characters. As far as I can tell, they're sculpted and attached to a bra/top. I'm wondering what sort of material would be best to sculpt them out of? What would be lightweight enough to not be too heavy for the top? Are there any materials that don't hold up well in water? Or, would resin be a good idea? I've attached a couple of close-ups of Disneyland Ariel's shells.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Shells1.jpg (82.4 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg Shells2.jpg (23.6 KB, 0 views)
TaintedBliss is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 07-01-2012, 03:40 PM   #2
Fénicia
Professional Seamstress

Wink

For the shells you can use this tutorial: http://users.telenet.be/the-mermaid/...sheltop01e.htm
Unread 07-03-2012, 11:58 PM   #3
Suzie Blue
Stuck in the 90s

As far as the wig goes, if the caulk is waterproof, I don't see why the wig wouldn't remain styled. I would not suggest submerging the wig in the water too much, as it will make for some wicked tangles, but I believe caulk should keep the bangs in place.

For the shells, I think sculpting a them from clay, then either coating them in resin or making a resin cast of them would be the best idea. I know that Crayola Model Magic is a very, very lightweight sculpting product that is relatively easy to work with, but I don't know how forgiving it will be once dry (I don't think you can re-wet it to smooth cracks and whatnot, but I'm not sure.) So, Model Magic may be the way to go if you're going to coat it in resin.

You could also go the craft foam "armor" method and cut out petal shapes, arrange them on your bra, use heat to shape them, attach them into a single piece, then coat them with resin. I really don't know if that made sense or if it would work at all, but it's an idea.