Go Back   Cosplay.com > US Convention Forums > Anime Expo

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 7 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 07-03-2012, 07:29 PM   #61
DefectiveNaruto
defective ninja

Would anyone be interested in being in my podcast to talk about AX? if interested pm me
Krad (DN Angel)
Ichigo Kurosaki soul reaper and bankai (bleach)
The Engineer from Team Fortress 2 (team red)
Miroku (Inuyasha)
costumes in progress
Lelouch's zero outfit (code geass)-95%
Bill (left 4 dead)-25%
check out our website and podcasts! http://missionstartpodcast.weebly.com/index.html
DefectiveNaruto is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 07-03-2012, 07:32 PM   #62
El_Duque
miyoshi82

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Force View Post
I loved AX this year but I need to address concerns that I had.

No Shuttle Service for the Mayfair Hotel - With the Wilshire Grand closed it only made sense that more AX people would book rooms there and none of the shuttles were going to hotels even CLOSE to the area. The walk toward the place was kinda seedy even taking the longway down 7th street and I had to call a cab multiple times to stay safe.

Last Comic Standing in a Smaller Room - Many comedians could not bring their friends and family to the event as we had to make sure we could allow as many attendees as possible. This decision did not make any sense given how the previous years the LP2 was PACKED.

In response to the comments about the show having a lot of race/sex jokes I have two things to say. First off there were quiet a good deal of comedians who strayed from such humor or only used it mildly (this was more apparent in the second half). To whoever who talks about how LCS is full of nothing but race/sex jokes I'm always quick to remind people that clean acts have won in the past, Danny, Jacob, Greg and myself using clean sets. To put it simply comedians have noticed that these type of jokes fly well with the LCS crowd so they will play to the audience more. If people demand such humor then it will be provided
You need to come back (are previous winners allowed to compete?) and show it how it's done. The last LCS I watched was with you in it.
Twitter
2014 Possible Cons
Anime Conji - Done
Wondercon - Did not attend
Anime Expo - Did not attend
San Diego Comic Con
Comikaze Expo
Long Beach Comic Con
Pacific Media Expo
El_Duque is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-03-2012, 07:50 PM   #63
Hakaider
Sith Happens..

O.K. I've rested a bit more after returning from AX, so here are my thoughts, and I'll break it down to 4 main points.

1. X-Games:

While it could have been a lot worse, I would be lacking to say there were no confrontations.

I did witness a few close confrontations with the X-Games people myself.

There was the usual cuss words from some of the X-Games people at the cosplayers, and some of them were even directed at me.

I really hated going thru the special walkway connecting the J.W. Marriott/LA Live Area to the convention center. It was like running through a gauntlet of insults.

When I pass through the walkway, I heard comments like:

"What the F****!!!"

"What the hell was that?!!"

"It's a F**** freak show@!"

"F*****king faggits!"

On the morning of Day 4, a worker drove his golf cart like vehicle, and parked directly inside the special walkway connecting the J.W. Marriott/LA Live Area to the convention center. The AX attendees had to squeeze themselves to pass through the vehicle, and the worker was being very rude to the attendees. (It never seem to occur to him that he was blocking the ONLY accessway in the walkway for the AX attendees.)

One X-Games man, (His group was wearing X-Games shirts, and was not wearing a AX badge) tried to corner a Lara Croft cosplayer to a wall at the South Hall on Day 2 late afternoon/early evening, and he wasn't interested in taking a picture. (He seemed to thought that it was funny to see her get scared.) When I saw that, I actually stopped in my tracks, and was ready to move if he did try something physical. But he saw the 2 con security staff in red shirts watching him and he backed off.

A few of my friends was returning from a cosplay photo shoot, and 3 intoxicated X-Games guys kept following them. My friend had to diffuse the situation & tried talking them calmly so there won't be a fist fight.

On Saturday night, the J.W. Marriott lobby had a very LOUD party, and the restrooms were filthy due to the LOUD X-Game party at the Lobby. Inside the restroom, there were various beer bottles on the floor, a guy was puking over on the floor, vomit on the floor, dirty wet foot prints everywhere, and piled up trash.

I even overheard a group of cosplayers who were passing through the walkway, and saying, "X-Games on the same day...What were they thinking?!!"

When I was traveling alone at one point, a group of friendly cosplayers even came up to me, and they told me to watch out & to travel in groups because of the X-Games.

2. J.W. Marriott:

I stayed at this hotel with my friends during AX, and I had an issue with the J.W. Marriott head of security, Mr. Mark Blackburn.

Mark Blackburn was giving the cosplayers & AX attendees a hard time. Even though we were guests of the hotel, Mark Blackburn was making it personal, and he would not let the AX attendees sit in the chairs & couches on the 2nd or 3rd floor. This happened two times & two nights in a row when I was there. He even tried following us all the way to the 1st floor lobby, and would not let us stay anywhere on the 2nd or 3rd floor.

One of the security staff later told us they were given orders by Mark Blackburn to not let people wearing costumes come up on the 2nd or 3rd floor or to use the facilities. (I never heard of any hotel that won't allow their paying customers to use their facilities. After paying over $190 a night, I better be darned able to use the facilities as much I want to.)

Mr. Mark Blackburn was also very rude, treated us with contempt when he saw us wearing costumes & was very disrespectful. He would not even allow us to sit on the hotel couches. He claimed that the entire wing of the 2nd or 3d floor were ALL "rented spaces". He even told us that the exercise room, escalators, restrooms & the upper elevators were all off limits.

When I told him that we were hotel guests, he completely ignored us & he told us that we were "invading someone's house", and he acted & treated us like trespassers.

I also noticed that when Mark Blackburn was gone from his shift, there were cosplayers who sat in the couches on the 2nd and 3rd floor, and nothing was said to them, and they were not asked to leave.

I had written a formal complaint against Mark Blackburn to the hotel manager and the Marriott's regional manager as well. (I had received apologies from the hotel, and they had assured me they will look into the matter.)

3. AX programs:

With the exception of Danny Choo, I thought that the program was very lackluster, and it just wasn't as good as the last few years.

4. AX Registration:

In terms of registration , it was a BIG improvement over the last few years. I also noticed how polite the staffers were when I asked them some questions on the early morning of Day 1, when I came to pick up my Pre-registration badge. They get a A+ plus for improvement in my book.

And of course, the countless cosplayers at AX was the best part in my experience.

Hopefully, since AX will be returning to LA next year, we would never have to see or deal with the X-Games ever again anytime in the future.

Last edited by Hakaider : 07-03-2012 at 08:05 PM.
Hakaider is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-03-2012, 08:46 PM   #64
G-Force
Internet Voice Actor

Quote:
Originally Posted by El_Duque View Post
You need to come back (are previous winners allowed to compete?) and show it how it's done. The last LCS I watched was with you in it.
I was in the 2012 finals.
G-Force is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-03-2012, 08:57 PM   #65
El_Duque
miyoshi82

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Force View Post
I was in the 2012 finals.
I didn't go this year.

But it's been confirmed from Jason/Factor on his Facebook fan page that there was 46,000 overall unique attendees. I clearly remember the unique attendance in 2011 was hovering around 49,000. It must have been a bad blow for the SPJA to lose 3,000 attendees in one year.
Twitter
2014 Possible Cons
Anime Conji - Done
San Diego Comic Con
Comikaze Expo
Long Beach Comic Con
Pacific Media Expo

Last edited by El_Duque : 07-03-2012 at 08:59 PM.
Unread 07-03-2012, 09:10 PM   #66
Hcoregamer00
PMX/Otakorp/Lunar Fest

Quote:
I didn't go this year.

But it's been confirmed from Jason/Factor on his Facebook fan page that there was 46,000 overall unique attendees. I clearly remember the unique attendance in 2011 was hovering around 49,000. It must have been a bad blow for the SPJA to lose 3,000 attendees in one year.
No, the attendance for Anime Expo 2011 was lower than that and our 2012 numbers are higher than that.

AX 2012 had an attendance increase.

Photography Blog, dA, FB Fan Page, Personal Blog

Future Cons: San Diego Comic Con, Anime California, Comikaze Expo, Pacific Media Expo
Hcoregamer00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-03-2012, 09:12 PM   #67
El_Duque
miyoshi82

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hcoregamer00 View Post
No, the attendance for Anime Expo 2011 was lower than that and our 2012 numbers are higher than that.

AX 2012 had an attendance increase.
I'm not sure who to believe and I won't comment any further since I was not present this year, but here is the actual quote:

Quote:
SPJA BoD Chairman announced approx 46,000 unique attendees for AX 2012, confirming the drop in attendance from last year.
Twitter
2014 Possible Cons
Anime Conji - Done
San Diego Comic Con
Comikaze Expo
Long Beach Comic Con
Pacific Media Expo
Unread 07-03-2012, 09:14 PM   #68
Hcoregamer00
PMX/Otakorp/Lunar Fest

Quote:
I'm not sure who to believe and I won't comment any further since I was not present this year, but here is the actual quote:
I will not comment any further except to say that the final numbers are being worked on and the numbers we released was a conservative estimate.

Photography Blog, dA, FB Fan Page, Personal Blog

Future Cons: San Diego Comic Con, Anime California, Comikaze Expo, Pacific Media Expo

Last edited by Hcoregamer00 : 07-03-2012 at 10:05 PM.
Hcoregamer00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-03-2012, 10:19 PM   #69
Admyr

This is my first time posting feedback about the convention so here is my 2 cents.

I only went to a few events this year because I was mostly cosplaying the entire time, and I couldn't really get into some of the smaller panels I wanted to attend, but for the one's I did attend this is what I thought.

Lounge 21: It was a nice experiment for the first time around, but there are some improvements that are needed. There were only two bartenders in the room on opposite sides, which is definitely not enough for the number of people in attendance. I think it would have been a better design to have an elongated bar area (like every bar in L.A.) in the back of the room staffed with 3-4 bartenders rather than two serving one customer at a time in a line. I ended up getting stuck behind two people that could not make up their mind on what they wanted after waiting 15 minutes in line. It took them 5 minutes to figure out what they wanted and another 5 to realize they did not have enough money. At least with the elongated bar design bartenders can tend to multiple customers rather than one at a time. Also, can the prices be more realistic? The prices were like for an above average bar, which that place definitely was not. $2 less for most of the things would have been more realistic - I'm just saying.

The Magic Macabre Show: IT WAS AMAZING!! It was funny, and crazy, and disgusting at times. They did a really good job this year, and I hope to continue to see the acts again next year.

The AX Dance: The line was extremely long, and no one is allowed to use the restroom unless you're a girl (friend of mine got back in). There is really no way I can think of handling the line other than splitting the dance to 2 or even 3 separate rooms of the same size. I would like for it to be hosted in the big room where the line was, but I understand the risk in terms of security and safety and how LACC security is not equipped to handle a dance party that large the way it was set up. No one wants an EDC riot happening, which is usually the case with dances that big.

The Gaming Room: Definitely a big improvement form previous years. Very much a similar setup to Fanime, and I very much appreciated it.

The X-games was definitely in the way this year. Thanks to the event the price and demand for parking sky-rocketed. Also, we all got our fair share of rude looky-loos that did not understand what our convention was about. Really did not appreciate being directed on the outskirts of the convention center to get to the Marriott. Then I found the the shortest path going through the parking lot.

Aside from the troubles, it was a pretty enjoyable time this year. Saw a lot of really good cosplays this year, and was able to pull off my own good cosplay as well.
Admyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-03-2012, 10:32 PM   #70
Access

Quote:
I didn't go this year.

I don't think so. Two reasons.

Remember last year there was a $10./day, $25./4day dealers hall only pass, so a lot of the people who don't normally buy badges ended up getting that. This year, it was $20./day, no 4day option, nowhere near as attractive as last year. This brought back ghosting.

Last year's Miku concert was a special case, it's hard to top that. Remember the standard for past years has always been A-class talent that hasn't been seen in the US before. Yet think about how much these concerts ended up costing, and how many people attended them.

All things considered, it's not a bad number and nothing to be ashamed about.

Last edited by Access : 07-03-2012 at 10:39 PM.
Access is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-03-2012, 11:18 PM   #71
sicdedman
SicLeatherFace

ok here is how it has been the last 3 Years at AX

2010 : 44,000
2011: 47,000
2012: 46,000

there was only (Roughly 1000) people lacking at AX this year.

BUT IMO i believe AX had to have at least 50,000 people over the weekend. I mean the place was JAM PACKED. could not move anywhere without bumping into someone... although the crowd could be for Lack of use over where the south Hall was where cosplayers would have their pics taken but X-games was using that side. so everyone was over by Exhibit hall Area.

but anyways....

CON:

The Convention center Bathrooms NEED TO BE CLEANED REGULARLY. it was so DISGUSTING Overflowed Toilets,Stuff ALL over the place in almost Every single bathroom i went to.... just Disgusting.. I never saw Event Staff cleaning one bathroom... it's like they waited till end of the day then cleaned when everyone was gone...

in the downstairs bathroom below the Dealers hall (mens Restroom) around 11:00pm on Saturday there was Blood on the Floor and all in one of the sinks little bit on the wall next to the sink. VERY SICK. someone never even tried to wipe it up... NOBODY HAS MANNERS or anything.... would you leave BLOOD all over your stuff at HOME???? (WIPE IT UP)
PMX 2014 *8th Year* *3rd Year Staff* -- Loscon 2014 *3rd Year Staff*
sicdedman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-04-2012, 12:40 AM   #72
daylight
Sugar Junkie

I only went on Sunday day three, and I only bought an Exhibit Hall badge, because the programming didn't interest me at all, and I was only at AX for about 6-7 hours so I don't have much to report on...

Pros-

-Me and my friends went a little later, when we got there around 11:30 we didn't have to wait in any line to pick up our badges
-Parking wasn't difficult to find at all, I believe we parked in the South Hall garage, and it was only $15
-I was actually able to find some things I wanted in the dealers room this year
-last year I went on Saturday for there free exhibit hall after 3pm, it was so crowded I couldn't even see anything, this year it was less crowded
-Lots of cool cosplays
-We could sit against the walls
-I had no problems with X-games, aside from a little extra downtown traffic

Cons-
-Programming seemed very lacking, wasn't interested at all, and I was kinda disappointed about it
- There were times when the exhibit hall got a little too crowded for me, but it was fine because there were also down times where it wasn't bad at all

I had fun, but im not going to be going back next year, I was really hoping they would move back to Anaheim, then I might have considered because I love that convention center, but programming last year didn't interest me ether and I wouldn't be surprised if its the same way next year.
Unread 07-04-2012, 12:49 AM   #73
Hakaider
Sith Happens..

Quote:
The Convention center Bathrooms NEED TO BE CLEANED REGULARLY. it was so DISGUSTING Overflowed Toilets,Stuff ALL over the place in almost Every single bathroom i went to.... just Disgusting.. I never saw Event Staff cleaning one bathroom... it's like they waited till end of the day then cleaned when everyone was gone...

in the downstairs bathroom below the Dealers hall (mens Restroom) around 11:00pm on Saturday there was Blood on the Floor and all in one of the sinks little bit on the wall next to the sink. VERY SICK. someone never even tried to wipe it up... NOBODY HAS MANNERS or anything.... would you leave BLOOD all over your stuff at HOME???? (WIPE IT UP)
This is why I didn't use the convention center restrooms on the 1st floor. Many of them were filthy, had a strong stench in them, and some of the trash was overflowing.

The cleaner restrooms are on the upper floors. (But they aren't that clean by that much.)

I noticed that the con's janitorial & maintenance staff didn't bother to clean the restrooms up very often.

Some of the lower floor restrooms were almost as bad as the restrooms in the downtown LA Amtrak/Metro Union Station.

There were also some cars belonging to AX attendees that got broken into & had their stuff stolen within the vicinity of the convention center.

Besides the overpriced hotels, food & parking around the LACC, there's other reasons why I really dislike the LA Convention Center. I was hoping that they would move back to Anaheim, after their contract expires with LA this year, but I was very, very disappointed to hear that they are returning to LA next year. (LA hasn't exactly brought out the welcome mat for AX this year.) I am hoping that it will be just a one year contract, and not a 5 year contract.

I also noticed that the LA mayor, Antonio Villaraigosa didn't even bother to show up this year. He made such a BIG hoopla about showing up for AX back in 2010, but in 2012, it seemed like AX was beneath his notice.

Last edited by Hakaider : 07-04-2012 at 12:55 AM.
Hakaider is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-04-2012, 01:00 AM   #74
El_Duque
miyoshi82

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hakaider View Post
I also noticed that the LA mayor, Antonio Villaraigosa didn't even bother to show up this year. He made such a BIG hoopla about showing up for AX back in 2010, but in 2012, it seemed like AX was beneath his notice.
I don't think he even cares. I bet he got a huge culture shock when he showed up in 2010. I don't see it as a major importance for him to show up at all.
Twitter
2014 Possible Cons
Anime Conji - Done
San Diego Comic Con
Comikaze Expo
Long Beach Comic Con
Pacific Media Expo
Unread 07-04-2012, 01:08 AM   #75
animejunkie
Crossplay is awesome

Pros:
  • Registration line was definitely quicker this year
  • Animetal USA - I was skeptical about them as GoH, but their concert ROCKED!
  • LiSA concert - AMAZING! She had so much energy and the crowd really was into it throughout
  • Hall G - Not a bad venue at all in my opinion
  • AMV contest - I now need to watch Steins;Gate and AnoHana
  • Lots of awesome cosplayers
  • Being able to fit time in to take a dip in the pool at the JW Marriott
  • Hanging out with good friends and running into friends I don't see that often
  • Actually got compliments on my cross-play from a couple of X Games attendees...never expected that
  • Food trucks...AWESOME
  • Madoka Magika panel...that was an awesome panel, by far the best of the panels I attended
  • Last Comic Standing...HILARIOUS! The audience and comics just fed off each other and I was glad to see Soap finally win after so many years of coming up short!

Cons:
  • Main Events line on Friday, a staffer was handing out tickets at the head of the line. Why wasn't a staffer doing that inside Hall A? I missed two panels!
  • Frequent schedule changes last minute made it hard to keep track unless you had a smartphone
  • Mobile app RARELY worked for me...what good is it if it doesn't work?
  • CROWDS...good lord was it crowded; it felt like Comic Con on Friday and Saturday!
  • Programming or lack thereof; there weren't a lot that interested me
  • Guests - aside from LiSA, Yuki Kajiura and surprisingly Animetal USA the GoH list was weak for those who haven't watched Fate/Zero
  • X Games inconvenience; though they did do a decent job of making the path clear it was still annoying to walk all that extra way.
  • Registration lines - While the line did move quicker this year, can't AX rent out canopies to keep people out of the sun?
Sakura Con
Wonder Con
Anime Expo

Last edited by animejunkie : 07-04-2012 at 01:17 AM.
animejunkie is offline   Reply With Quote