Go Back   Cosplay.com > Off-Topic Chat > General Off-Topic Forum

Reply
Thread Tools Rate Thread
Unread 06-29-2012, 08:34 PM   #16
Mangochutney
saucy condiment
 
Mangochutney's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 6,208
Quote:
Originally Posted by tokyobarnrat View Post
I plot-twisted to beat the annoying, entitled bitchyness that people tend to accumulate after roleplaying for so long.
Mind going into a little more detail on that sentence in general? It's important.
__________________
*
Workin' on:
Tom Petty [Final Fantasy XV] (9%)
Bondage Finch [Bondage Finch Adventures] (12%)
Melisandre, the Red Woman [Game of Thrones] (43%)
Mangochutney is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Unread 06-29-2012, 09:16 PM   #17
Lithium Flower
Handphones
 
Lithium Flower's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 15,236
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bisected8 View Post
I used to, but they always ended up getting ruined by the same sort of people every single time. Now I don't bother.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mangochutney View Post
THIS. THIS THIS. I don't even know if we're talking about the same sort of people, but for me it was the inevitable metastasizing case of angstcancer. Self-centered angstcancer that can't write/plot/cope for beans.

There is no cure.
I once roleplayed with a woman who posted THIS, and this is an exact quote (or almost exact, shut up) that is not exaggerated. This was for reals;

Quote:
And she kick the man in the head and jumped out the window
I seriously wish this was done in jest, because it's so damn funny. But this was basically every post this woman sent me. Just one liners with no periods or commas or anything. Just giant run on sentences.
__________________
Iíll tell you what people look like, really: they look like flames. Or like the stars, on a clear night in the wilderness.
LiveStream
Emmers Drawberry: Professional Superhero
◆○◆○◆○◆○◆○
Tumblr silliness.

◆○◆○◆○◆○◆○
Deviantart of more super silliness

Lithium Flower is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-30-2012, 02:25 AM   #18
SirWonderusMary
Join the Flock~
 
SirWonderusMary's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 1,159
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lithium Flower View Post
I once roleplayed with a woman who posted THIS, and this is an exact quote (or almost exact, shut up) that is not exaggerated. This was for reals;



I seriously wish this was done in jest, because it's so damn funny. But this was basically every post this woman sent me. Just one liners with no periods or commas or anything. Just giant run on sentences.
Sounds rather unfinished with the way she worded it, perhaps adding a few words to the sentence could've sparked something interested in the role-play, ex: "And she gave a kick to the tall man's head before letting her gaze fall on the open window. She panted for only a few brief seconds, before a smirk tainted her face as with lightning reflexes she leapt out the window." In the least, if you're going to role-play thread-wise its better to put more effort in replies. I'm curious though as to why she jumped out the window though.
__________________
Convention List:
-Holiday Matsuri 2014
-Mega-con 2015 (maybe)
-Metro-con 2015
-AWA 2015

Cosplay List:
-Joker (Black Butler)
-Jack Vessalius (Pandora Hearts)
-Julius Monrey (Alice in the Country of Hearts)
-Aura Blackquill (Ace Attorney)
-Inuyasha

SirWonderusMary is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-30-2012, 04:43 PM   #19
talkenia
Random person #3
 
talkenia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 312
I only have been roleplaying trough mass msn talks.
So i do not have much experience with trolls..

I do have together with a friend of mine set up our own forum based on Hetalia, when we were still in the whole hype of it.
For some reason, I have not encountered any people trying to godmod or anything weird on there, but that is maybe because it is mostly 1 on 1 with everyone kinda knowing each other..
Right now I stopped roleplaying for the most part, but we still run the site, as there are still people happily RP'ing on there.
__________________
My props: tumblr

Currently in progress
-lady -DMC 3
-Alphonse Elric's full armour -FMA
talkenia is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-30-2012, 09:07 PM   #20
Lithium Flower
Handphones
 
Lithium Flower's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 15,236
Quote:
Originally Posted by SirWonderusMary View Post
Sounds rather unfinished with the way she worded it, perhaps adding a few words to the sentence could've sparked something interested in the role-play, ex: "And she gave a kick to the tall man's head before letting her gaze fall on the open window. She panted for only a few brief seconds, before a smirk tainted her face as with lightning reflexes she leapt out the window." In the least, if you're going to role-play thread-wise its better to put more effort in replies. I'm curious though as to why she jumped out the window though.
All of her sentences where the same badly pieced together run-ons that where one or two lines long and filled with 'engrish' style manners of writing. English was her first language, but her writing was like someone used google-translate from English, to Japanese, to Latin, and back to English again and no I have no idea why she jumped out the window either. I sat at the keyboard for a solid 5 minutes with my mouth open completely dumbstruck.
__________________
Iíll tell you what people look like, really: they look like flames. Or like the stars, on a clear night in the wilderness.
LiveStream
Emmers Drawberry: Professional Superhero
◆○◆○◆○◆○◆○
Tumblr silliness.

◆○◆○◆○◆○◆○
Deviantart of more super silliness

Lithium Flower is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-30-2012, 09:15 PM   #21
BisectedBrioche
Da ba di da ba di...
 
BisectedBrioche's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 9,718
I suspect that most newbie RPers tend to both fail to realise the importance of good typography and fail to understand that being chaotic stupid isn't just bad in tabletop RPGs.
__________________
Me on deviantArt.
Me on TV Tropes.
Me on twitter.

To do; Dark Link (80%) Link (20%)

Can't write, can't draw. Can code, a little.
BisectedBrioche is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-30-2012, 10:51 PM   #22
StarsCASSiOPEiA
Crazy name CAPiTALiZATiON
 
StarsCASSiOPEiA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 3,128
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bisected8 View Post
I suspect that most newbie RPers tend to both fail to realise the importance of good typography and fail to understand that being chaotic stupid isn't just bad in tabletop RPGs.
Reminds me of the time that I was writing with this person whose character had been requiring serious medical attention involving lots of broken glass. Out of nowhere the character just became bored by the situation and just got up and walked away as if nothing had happened, and disregarded any of the posts about the injury up to that point.

Haven't stepped foot on that forum to write since. It has, however, provided countless hours of entertainment thanks to the lack of quality.
__________________
Upcoming Cosplays
  • Suzuha Amane (Steins;Gate): 25% (Wig Work) Katsucon 2015
  • Magic Armor Link (LoZ: Twilight Princess): 15% (Patterning) Katsucon 2015
  • Emperor Lelouch (Code Geass): 2% (Planning) Katsucon 2015
  • Hilda, Player Character (Pokemon Black): 18% (Sewing) ?????
DeviantART // Tumblr // Facebook

Last edited by StarsCASSiOPEiA : 06-30-2012 at 10:54 PM.
StarsCASSiOPEiA is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-01-2012, 07:26 AM   #23
SirWonderusMary
Join the Flock~
 
SirWonderusMary's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 1,159
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarsCASSiOPEiA View Post
Reminds me of the time that I was writing with this person whose character had been requiring serious medical attention involving lots of broken glass. Out of nowhere the character just became bored by the situation and just got up and walked away as if nothing had happened, and disregarded any of the posts about the injury up to that point.

Haven't stepped foot on that forum to write since. It has, however, provided countless hours of entertainment thanks to the lack of quality.
I truly wish had these super-human abilities to heal rapidly just as the feeling of boredom takes over. But alas, I'm a weak mortal who simply can't defy injury that quickly. I give them mad props for being able to just walk out of that type of injury without limping or screaming in pain.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lithium Flower View Post
All of her sentences where the same badly pieced together run-ons that where one or two lines long and filled with 'engrish' style manners of writing. English was her first language, but her writing was like someone used google-translate from English, to Japanese, to Latin, and back to English again and no I have no idea why she jumped out the window either. I sat at the keyboard for a solid 5 minutes with my mouth open completely dumbstruck.
I can agree, I wasn't a good role-player before in 2007. I wouldn't add any educational grammar, characters would be dying one second then the next they're a demon who is unstoppable, no punctuation would ever be used and caps would be in the most random of places. But I got over that, and eventually me and my partner gave our story a plotline: Even if the plot died after a few hours or a week. Perhaps, they're better now? But then again from all the replies I get in text messages or the internet I doubt it. (God damn the people who use internet slang/shorten every word! D I'm just going to label her character as someone who was suicidal seeing everyone a better role-player than herself?
__________________
Convention List:
-Holiday Matsuri 2014
-Mega-con 2015 (maybe)
-Metro-con 2015
-AWA 2015

Cosplay List:
-Joker (Black Butler)
-Jack Vessalius (Pandora Hearts)
-Julius Monrey (Alice in the Country of Hearts)
-Aura Blackquill (Ace Attorney)
-Inuyasha

SirWonderusMary is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-05-2012, 11:54 AM   #24
Kagomekai
Registered User
 
Kagomekai's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 274
I used to RP on forums and through IM with one of my friends. The thing is like most people said either people got bored/fed-up, didn't have time, began to god-mod, accuse people of having a Mary-sue or gary-sue when they most obviously didn't because they were getting annoyed with another rper.
__________________
Cosplays for 2014
Ankh (Fem! Human version)
Gokai Blue/Female Super Megaforce blue
Gajinka Gatomon (humanoid)
Ymir from SNK
Kagomekai is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-05-2012, 01:08 PM   #25
StarsCASSiOPEiA
Crazy name CAPiTALiZATiON
 
StarsCASSiOPEiA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 3,128
Quote:
Originally Posted by SirWonderusMary View Post
I truly wish had these super-human abilities to heal rapidly just as the feeling of boredom takes over. But alas, I'm a weak mortal who simply can't defy injury that quickly. I give them mad props for being able to just walk out of that type of injury without limping or screaming in pain.
Her character was apparently a normal, non-magical little girl who was rather weak. Her ability to just get up with a completely lacerated back was completely uncalled for, and the injury she had been trying to set up for days was never mentioned again.

I had written the girl a couple hundred words as a post, in which my character had discovered her character lying there, asked if she could do first aid, and started doing it. I could understand the boredom of the scenario if it dragged on for a couple thousand words, but it was just that one post.

She also apparently didn't like that I took what she considered an exorbitant amount of time to reply-- about half an hour, when I wasn't online to see that she had posted a reply the second she did.
__________________
Upcoming Cosplays
  • Suzuha Amane (Steins;Gate): 25% (Wig Work) Katsucon 2015
  • Magic Armor Link (LoZ: Twilight Princess): 15% (Patterning) Katsucon 2015
  • Emperor Lelouch (Code Geass): 2% (Planning) Katsucon 2015
  • Hilda, Player Character (Pokemon Black): 18% (Sewing) ?????
DeviantART // Tumblr // Facebook
StarsCASSiOPEiA is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-06-2012, 02:32 AM   #26
SirWonderusMary
Join the Flock~
 
SirWonderusMary's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 1,159
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarsCASSiOPEiA View Post
Her character was apparently a normal, non-magical little girl who was rather weak. Her ability to just get up with a completely lacerated back was completely uncalled for, and the injury she had been trying to set up for days was never mentioned again.

I had written the girl a couple hundred words as a post, in which my character had discovered her character lying there, asked if she could do first aid, and started doing it. I could understand the boredom of the scenario if it dragged on for a couple thousand words, but it was just that one post.

She also apparently didn't like that I took what she considered an exorbitant amount of time to reply-- about half an hour, when I wasn't online to see that she had posted a reply the second she did.
This is normally why I choose to Role-play with very few people, and when I do it, I tend to do it with characters from a well-known Anime or Movie just because the personalities are already there. So, either you act in character or you'll be caught and told you're OOC. Course, don't see the point in setting it up so the story is focused on the injury, and then just forgotten. Do you still Role-play with them? And really? !00 words can bore a person? o.o I had no idea that was all it took, though I'm sure they're relatively used to "Text" lingo as their answer as my friend who forum-roleplayed often on Gaia always showed me her story/role-play thus far with other people, and said she loved it when her partner gives her a paragraph.

Side note- Only advice to people like that? Don't Forum Role-play if you want a quick answer. Do it via IM since it shouldn't take a person that long to reply compared to a forum/comment. Like I role-played with one person on Deviantart and they replied either within a few hours, or a day.
__________________
Convention List:
-Holiday Matsuri 2014
-Mega-con 2015 (maybe)
-Metro-con 2015
-AWA 2015

Cosplay List:
-Joker (Black Butler)
-Jack Vessalius (Pandora Hearts)
-Julius Monrey (Alice in the Country of Hearts)
-Aura Blackquill (Ace Attorney)
-Inuyasha

SirWonderusMary is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-06-2012, 06:58 AM   #27
StarsCASSiOPEiA
Crazy name CAPiTALiZATiON
 
StarsCASSiOPEiA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 3,128
Oh goodness no, I left that RP forum very quickly after I got that sort of reply. While the site wasn't meant for RPing (the forums just had an RP section), it WAS a writing website, so I expected more out of the people who were on it. I supposed that was a mistake.

Nevertheless, though, that's why I really only RP with friends I already know or friends of friends whose writing I've seen before or heard is excellent.
__________________
Upcoming Cosplays
  • Suzuha Amane (Steins;Gate): 25% (Wig Work) Katsucon 2015
  • Magic Armor Link (LoZ: Twilight Princess): 15% (Patterning) Katsucon 2015
  • Emperor Lelouch (Code Geass): 2% (Planning) Katsucon 2015
  • Hilda, Player Character (Pokemon Black): 18% (Sewing) ?????
DeviantART // Tumblr // Facebook
StarsCASSiOPEiA is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-06-2012, 01:35 PM   #28
Breyvan
UK-Beginner Cosplayer
 
Breyvan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 103
I haven't, not because I don't like the idea or never wanted it's just I'm never aroun long enough to keep up to date with what has been going on in the roleplay that I end up not doing it.
__________________
Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one
Breyvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-07-2012, 06:57 PM   #29
padalackollins
Registered User
 
padalackollins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 23
I've spent most of my teen years and now adult life role playing on forums, and most recently, Tumblr. I know Tumblr RP is a joke to a lot of the more serious writers, and I understand that and often agree. It just has so many great tools to help build character, I have trouble staying away. However, I can also truthfully say this. The last Tumblr-based RPG I ran had a horrible, godmodding, inconsiderate player whom I had asked to leave after receiving complaints from the rest of my group about her. She refused and continued to post for several days until it escalated into an argument. A few days later, I received a few different applications all at once for a main character we did not have, all from accounts that had nothing to do with the fandom or RP or showed any sign of being people who'd logically have an interest in role play. Very long, dramatic, unfortunate story short, we discovered that the girl that had been booted out had several of her friends submit applications she wrote through their accounts (so many so that whichever we accepted was bound to be hers), so that she would be allowed to re-enter the group and, with her new main character power, destroy it. ...Really? Are we six years old? Worst experience I've had.
padalackollins is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-08-2012, 06:11 PM   #30
Kokoro Hane
Mangaka on a mission~
 
Kokoro Hane's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 615
Oh goodness, I TOTALLY love forum/text-style roleplaying! It's like writing a story, which I love since I love writing, only you focus solely on your character you control, and it's fun to interact with the other characters since you don't know what they will write! LOL even I have my own roleplaying board based on one of my story universes, LOL.
__________________
Completed Cosplays!
Mayuri Shiina (Steins;Gate) {debuted at; Anime Expo AX2012}
Jun Suwabara [casual] (Doppelganger: Dawn of The Inverted Soul)
Meiko [default] (Vocaloid)
Hajime (Hamatora) {debuted at; Anime Conji 2014}
Tomoyo Daidouji [summer uniform] (Cardcaptor Sakura)

Currently in the works!
Kaiko Shion [blue dress - original] (Vocaloid)
Xiaoyu [school uniform] (Tekken Tag Tournament 2)
Kokoro Hane is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:17 AM.


Copyright 2002-2013 Cosplay.com, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
All comments and posts in our forums are the opinion of the respective poster.