Go Back   Cosplay.com > Off-Topic Chat > General Off-Topic Forum

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 36 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 07-06-2012, 04:33 PM   #1516
Lithium Flower
Handphones

Hey gais I've got a question, any ideas on lunches I could pack for Boyfriend to bring to work? He's said he just can't keep affording to eat out everyday and when he does pack himself something he just spoons left over pasta into a Tupperware box as a second thought then runs out the door. There's a microwave at his work, and a water cooler with a tap that he said gets hot enough to make ramen noodles well (no I am not packing him ramen..) But for the life of me I can't really figure out meals that would hold well in the fridge or re-heat well in a microwave like that. He's at work for a solid 10 hours so I want to pack him something that's going to be hearty enough that he won't feel starving in 4 hours.
◆○◆○◆○◆○◆○
Tumblr silliness.

◆○◆○◆○◆○◆○
Deviantart of more super silliness

Lithium Flower is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 07-06-2012, 04:34 PM   #1517
sam vimes
A real live wire

Sandwiches.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Hag View Post
SV is the most awesome man I know that I'm not married to.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fullbleed View Post
If this weren't tje internet id hug all of you guys right now.
Especishillly you sam.
Like a woodpecker with a headache...
sam vimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-06-2012, 04:45 PM   #1518
Lithium Flower
Handphones

~__~ get out you
◆○◆○◆○◆○◆○
Tumblr silliness.

◆○◆○◆○◆○◆○

Unread 07-06-2012, 04:56 PM   #1519
Bisected8
All glory to hypnoturtle!

I'd suggest foods that are basically masses of precooked stuff. Try combinations of;

- Cooked meat (sausages are a good choice, since they taste good hot or cold, cooked mince works as well).
- Pasta (yeah, you've already complained, but it does stay fresh quite well in tupperware).
-Canned fish (there's no need to cook it, just mix it in).
- Cheeses (good cheese, not those individual slices you'd put in a cheap burger; grate it and mix it in so it melts when it's heated).
-Pine nuts, sunflower seeds, etc (fry them in a bit of oil then add them as you see fit).

Other than that, sheppard's pie reheats well after it's been cooked. Have you tried that?

To do; Dark Link (80%) Link (20%)

Can't write, can't draw. Can code, a little.
Bisected8 is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-06-2012, 05:00 PM   #1520
Lithium Flower
Handphones

I am perfectly happy to make him a big batch of tasty pasta, just not when it's a 'last resort' as he's running out the door late for work derp.

And honestly, no I haven't tried a sheppards pie because I have no idea what it is >__>' /is smrt/
◆○◆○◆○◆○◆○
Tumblr silliness.

◆○◆○◆○◆○◆○

Unread 07-06-2012, 05:17 PM   #1521
Bisected8
All glory to hypnoturtle!

It's basically a layer of mashed potato over a layer of mince. My mum used to make what she called "Potcut Pie" which used some sort of canned chicken in white sauce sort of thing instead of mince. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shephard%27s_pie

Thinking about it, what about normal, pastry based pies, or pasties/turnovers?

To do; Dark Link (80%) Link (20%)

Can't write, can't draw. Can code, a little.
Bisected8 is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-06-2012, 06:34 PM   #1522
ShinobiXikyu
Embroidery Enthusiast

Perogies are freaking delicious. I suggest pan-frying a meal's worth and putting them in a container with something else to dip them in. They microwave deliciously. It was pretty well all I would take for lunch in college most days (yah, sandwiches kind of suck. I've had enough jobs where my one and only choice of lunch was sandwiches. If I have the opportunity to eat something hot, I'll take it.).

oh, and if he likes Japanese food enough, onigiri? You can make a decent-sized batch in one go, and if wrapped up they keep at least a few days. You can also put all kinds of tastiness in the centre. The typical fish or umeboshi, kelp, beef, hard-boiled egg, etc.
There is a vibe here that says "We're in this together! Through thick and thin fabric! Through cold water washes and burning hot irons! Though we might super glue ourselves to our projects, cut holes/gashes/oh-god-mom's-gonna-kill-me into the dining room table, we will stand strong together. Unless there is a 75% off sale at the Fabric store. Then you're on your own. And get the hell out of my way." <3
Artist alley, costumes, businessey things--> http://whimsicalsquidco.deviantart.com/
ShinobiXikyu is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-06-2012, 07:19 PM   #1523
Volnixshin
Tesla Powered

Perogies, I LOVE THOSE. Haven't had them in so long.

We just had pizza. It was alright, not very....sustaining

Czech jvorxelf, bephor yue rek jvorxelf
Volnixshin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-06-2012, 07:29 PM   #1524
sam vimes
A real live wire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lithium Flower View Post
~__~ get out you
No. It's a perfectly valid and affordable suggestion.

Quote:
Quote:
Especishillly you sam.
Unread 07-06-2012, 08:28 PM   #1525
penny_dreadful
la ctholita

Quote:
Hey gais I've got a question, any ideas on lunches I could pack for Boyfriend to bring to work? He's said he just can't keep affording to eat out everyday and when he does pack himself something he just spoons left over pasta into a Tupperware box as a second thought then runs out the door. There's a microwave at his work, and a water cooler with a tap that he said gets hot enough to make ramen noodles well (no I am not packing him ramen..) But for the life of me I can't really figure out meals that would hold well in the fridge or re-heat well in a microwave like that. He's at work for a solid 10 hours so I want to pack him something that's going to be hearty enough that he won't feel starving in 4 hours.
I have a lot of ideas, but most of them involve advanced cooking. It's easiest to make batches of stuff like rice, legumes, meat, and so on over the weekend and keep it in the fridge or freezer to pack quick lunches in the morning.

Tacos are easy-- flour tortillas can be warmed in the microwave between damp paper towels for a few seconds, and if you pack a protein, cheese, salsa, and whatever else in separate containers it's easy to fill them however he likes at work.

If you make pancakes in the morning or on the weekend, he can pack extras with sandwich fillings like PB&J or turkey and cheese.

Canned chickpeas (rinsed and drained) are good sauteed with onions, garlic, red pepper flakes, salt and pepper. You can throw in some greens like spinach or arugula if he likes that and you've got it on hand. Then it can be mixed with pasta (add some olive oil to keep it from sticking together) or eaten with crusty rolls.

It's pretty tough to do much beyond sandwiches if you don't have things prepped and ready in advance before he heads out in the morning. Unless, of course, you enjoy getting up an hour before him to cook.
"And we are all told from the moment we open our eyes, that everyone is entitled to his or her opinion. Well, thatís horsepuckey, of course. We are not entitled to our opinions; we are entitled to our informed opinions. Without research, without background, without understanding, itís nothing. Itís just bibble-babble. Itís like a fart in a wind tunnel, folks." --Harlan Ellison
penny_dreadful is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-06-2012, 11:07 PM   #1526
PrincessKaori87
Caffeine addict

Quote:
You can make lasagna.

Me on Twitter
Me on deviantART
Me on Facebook
PrincessKaori87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-07-2012, 09:54 AM   #1527
sam vimes
A real live wire

Blueberry pancakes this morning!

Quote:
Quote:
Especishillly you sam.
Unread 07-07-2012, 10:34 AM   #1528
The Hag
All Hail Christmastoad

Quote:
Hey gais I've got a question, any ideas on lunches I could pack for Boyfriend to bring to work?
The Saint's standard lunch is onigiri, fresh vegetables (baby carrots, bell pepper slices, cherry tomatoes, celery sticks), fresh fruit (banana, apple, orange, grapes), raw nuts. We put the rice cooker on the timer the night before and it only takes about 10 min. to put everything else together. Since Brando has access to a microwave, you can just make extra portions of whatever you have for dinner and he can take leftovers. Also hard boiled eggs.

I'm in NYC Ktown eating cold noodles, mandu and Pinkberry.
The Hag is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-07-2012, 10:57 AM   #1529
Kildread
I can fix it!

I can't seem to use fresh vegetables or fruits unless they're apples before they go bad.

I buy a few, realize I'm never finishing them before they go bad, stop. And the cycle goes on.

With that said, I'm making myself pizza today with plenty of salami/pepperoni. I'm confident I'll enjoy it more than the frozen Delissio/McCain stuff.
Kildread is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-07-2012, 11:16 AM   #1530
ShinobiXikyu
Embroidery Enthusiast

Perogies for lunch. Ohhhh man I missed these little things of deliciousness.
...and I need to go grocery shopping. I'm going back on a diet, plus Dad's pretty well broke til NEXT weekend and we need a lot of things already.
There is a vibe here that says "We're in this together! Through thick and thin fabric! Through cold water washes and burning hot irons! Though we might super glue ourselves to our projects, cut holes/gashes/oh-god-mom's-gonna-kill-me into the dining room table, we will stand strong together. Unless there is a 75% off sale at the Fabric store. Then you're on your own. And get the hell out of my way." <3
Artist alley, costumes, businessey things--> http://whimsicalsquidco.deviantart.com/
ShinobiXikyu is online now   Reply With Quote