Go Back   Cosplay.com > US Convention Forums > Dragon*Con

Unread 06-30-2012, 10:38 PM   #1
Fairypiranha
Evil Midget of Doom

Handling the Lines

Hiya!

So I'm in a bit of a pickle and I'd love y'alls views. My dad is diabetic and I know theres not really a level system of diabetics but he has a lot of problems due to it. That being said he loves Dragon*Con. Problem is the super long lines for the badges last year got him really (the heat and the 2 hours of standing in line) sick and due to being so sick he will have to sit out because recently he got ill and had to be in the hospital.

How do y'all handle the lines and what would you suggest doing to help him? I asked the Dragon*Con folks and they weren't exactly helpful, mostly rude. I just want my dad to be able to enjoy this while he still can, because his diabetes is getting worse and I don't know what will happen. Please keep in mind that I'm 17 and I might sound a bit whiny but he enjoys it you know?

Thanks
Fairypiranha is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 06-30-2012, 11:10 PM   #2
godmi

Water, snacks, and - if you can acquire them - extra medical necessities like prescriptions and the like. I worked At-Con Registration last year and those were things I noticed most people neglected to bring. Also, if your father needs to rest a bit, you can bring one of those folding camping chairs like this one:
On Amazon

This video might help as well, though it's geared toward a younger demographic.

Also, ignore the pinheads. As a Dragon*Con volunteer, I apologize for any rudeness you may have experienced. I hope you get more suggestions for this dilemma and I hope your father enjoys Dragon*Con more this year.
godmi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-30-2012, 11:22 PM   #3
Katala

Go to disability service - they have runners get your badge and one extra person's. I have to go there anyway to get the stickers even though I'm eternal member and get badge else where. It is inside the sheraton further down than the main room.

Costumes:
  • Finished: She-Ra, Hathor (SG-1), G-Girl (My Super Ex-Girlfriend), Circe (or Leta), Miaka (Fushigi Yuugi), Scarlet Witch, Inara with crossbow prop (Serenity), Hermione's Red Dress (HP7), Lady Catelyn Stark (GOT), Electra, Baroness, Newmar Catwoman, Sha're (SG-1), Ceremonial Leia, Fiona and Lessa (Pern), Romana I, Prof. McGonagall (HP)
  • My service dog, Cinder is wearing: K.9. (Dr. Who), Gold Dragon Weyrling (PERN), and Gryffindor.
Katala is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-30-2012, 11:29 PM   #4
Fairypiranha
Evil Midget of Doom

Godmi- Thank you I will definitely consider those! And as for the people, it was over email and I try not to assume they were trying to be rude, so thank you

Katala- I emailed them and the guy who emailed me back told me basically that (much abridged) unless he was legally or very much handicapped that being diabetic isn't a disability and that his circulation issues weren't any worse than the person who responded's bad legs. He told me that if they were there to make people more comfortable then all 50000 people who go would come to him.
Unread 07-01-2012, 12:16 AM   #5
Katala

If the heat has made him that ill in the past then I would go anyway since severe diabetes is much different than "leg pain". I have a multitude of chronic illnesses and would not have said such things. Medically the person you talked with probably doesn't know squat. Most people don't get ill the entire weekend over such and can withstand it yet if the condition is that bad that is what DS is for.

Costumes:
  • Finished: She-Ra, Hathor (SG-1), G-Girl (My Super Ex-Girlfriend), Circe (or Leta), Miaka (Fushigi Yuugi), Scarlet Witch, Inara with crossbow prop (Serenity), Hermione's Red Dress (HP7), Lady Catelyn Stark (GOT), Electra, Baroness, Newmar Catwoman, Sha're (SG-1), Ceremonial Leia, Fiona and Lessa (Pern), Romana I, Prof. McGonagall (HP)
  • My service dog, Cinder is wearing: K.9. (Dr. Who), Gold Dragon Weyrling (PERN), and Gryffindor.
Unread 07-01-2012, 01:40 AM   #6
PepMaster

I know it was back in 2010 but I was having to use a cane at times and had to wear a knee brace. I think they have a couple people that check the line for people getting tickets and usually they'll have the person taken to disability services. I still have to use a cane at times when my knee is in a lot of pain, but I'll endure the lines for as long as I can. Last year I managed to last the full time in line without the cane even though I got in line pretty early.
PepMaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-01-2012, 02:07 AM   #7
Katala

I would insist you should take him to DS first - it is a long wait there too but in a seat inside. If my father was at dcon I'd take him there with me since he has a burr on his feet bones and has medicines that make him ill in heat.
And your father having difficulties enough to warrant a trip to the hospital, should be provided for at DS. Not all illnesses are visible at first glance.

Costumes:
Unread 07-01-2012, 04:58 AM   #8
Satine

I had a lovely reply from DS when I inquired- I have rheumatoid arthritis and can't stand for long though I look fine most of the time.
How hard would it be to get a medical certificate from his doctor? I explained that I may possibly look fine and mobile on the day but that I would need a runner for my ticket, and that I was able to bring any proof of my condition (I will be travelling with a lot of restricted meds as it is!) and I will be getting my doctor to write me a letter for potential medicine interactions (in case of emergency treatment) and all my current symptoms.

I'd suggest getting this info and then sending another email (do remain polite, frustrating as it is and even when you feel you are not getting respect in kind it does go a long way to helping everyone know what the real issues). I was told I could just go to DS which is sited before the registration lines so you may still be be able to get a runner. But yes, get all your ducks in a row and be specific.

It's really hard having an invisble disease, sometimes you can scoot around horrible assumptions by blending in other times it's hard finding the help you need.
Satine is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-02-2012, 02:10 AM   #9
Katala

You don't need a doctor's note and by Ada requirements they aren't allowed to ask for one. They can't refuse. And the wait time isn't much different at least on Thursday. Also if you might need to exit a panel quickly (for diabetes episodes can happen) you can request a end of row sticker. I get one because of my IC and my medical dog.

Costumes:
Unread 07-02-2012, 01:53 PM   #10
usagianddarien

my dad is diabetic and got a handicap pass last year. well he also rented an electric scooter for the weekend as well so he wouldn't have to walk everywhere, it was not that expensive to rent to scooter i think it was like 150 for four days.

My cosplay facebook: https://www.facebook.com/usagianddarienshoes
usagianddarien is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-02-2012, 07:56 PM   #11
GlassCannon

To echo what Katala has already said, they can't legally and shouldn't ethically inquire as to the level of disability. They do have a vested interest in making sure that people don't abuse Disability Services, and diabetes is a disease that many people who don't have it think is pretty harmless, like having seasonal allergies or something. But if the lines at DragonCon last year made his illness flare up in a very serious way, that's all Disability Services needs to know, period. Relate it to them in terms of activity -- if he does X he won't be able to do Y, if he stands in the badge line in the heat, he'll be too sick to enjoy the rest of the con -- not an illness name.

My chronic illnesses have had me sliding down the disability scale for the last decade (quit working full time nine years ago, quit working at all 18 months ago, etc), but so far I've resisted using Disability Services at DragonCon. I found out the hard way last year that standing in the badge line on Thursday meant that by Sunday I was so exhausted and in so much pain, I was only able to leave the hotel room for about two hours. So this year, I'm sucking up my pride and going to Disability Services. The name of my primary disease won't mean anything to them -- most of my doctors haven't even heard of it. Disability Services isn't there to verify diagnoses or make anyone "comfortable". Disability Services is there to make sure that everyone who goes to DragonCon has equal access to get tickets and attend panels, regardless of illness or disability.

I would, however, see if you can get the name of the Disability Services person who replied to your email. That person should almost certainly not be working in Disability Services.
Samantha Winchester - Winchester Sisters (Supernatural genderswap) - 100%, adding props
Abaddon - As Time Goes By dress (Supernatural) - 90%
GlassCannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-02-2012, 11:44 PM   #12
Fairypiranha
Evil Midget of Doom

Thank you all for replying to this. It has helped me a lot and we will definitely be going to DS for his ticket. I will be standing in line but he is going to be going on Sunday so I'm hoping the lines won't be too long. I think I might push him to get the electrical chair cause he can honk and get people to move so he won't feel claustrophobic. Again thank you everyone for your suggestions and I hope I get to see y'all at D*C!
Unread 07-08-2012, 11:55 AM   #13
Pizzacat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairypiranha View Post
Hiya!

So I'm in a bit of a pickle and I'd love y'alls views. My dad is diabetic and I know theres not really a level system of diabetics but he has a lot of problems due to it. That being said he loves Dragon*Con. Problem is the super long lines for the badges last year got him really (the heat and the 2 hours of standing in line) sick and due to being so sick he will have to sit out because recently he got ill and had to be in the hospital.

How do y'all handle the lines and what would you suggest doing to help him? I asked the Dragon*Con folks and they weren't exactly helpful, mostly rude. I just want my dad to be able to enjoy this while he still can, because his diabetes is getting worse and I don't know what will happen. Please keep in mind that I'm 17 and I might sound a bit whiny but he enjoys it you know?

Thanks

Get his driver's license and a release form to pick up his badge for him. No need to wait at all.

As for the other lines, you'll have to still get there early and grab a camping spot, but D*C is good about televising big panels.