Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Wigs and Hair

Unread 07-05-2012, 10:26 AM   #1
genkimami
Trial of the dragonnnnnnn

Cutting lace off a lace front wig

For a recent cosplay, I bought the Matilda from Arda which is a lace front wig. When I wore it, I cut the lace to be about 1 inch long and glued it with spirit gum. However, I had a really difficult time to glue on the lace seamlessly. As you can see on the following photo, the lace near the center of my forehead is especially visible.

http://s16.photobucket.com/albums/b8...t=P1040117.jpg

My question is.. Can I cut the lace shorter, like very close to the wig's hair line? Would it cause any problems if I did?

Thanks!

Unread 07-05-2012, 11:10 AM   #2
Ani_BEE
Black Magic Woman

I would trim in a zig-zap pattern from what you have now to to help further blend out the line visually. I stick with 3/4" at the shortest just in case.

I also go over it with foundation as well once it's glued down. Because I'm stupidly pale the lace look like a tan line on me otherwise. lol

FanEXPO
Regina ~ Once Upon a Time(Fri)
Madeline Hatter ~ Ever After High (Sat)

Future cosplays/cons:
Anime North, Otakuthon, FanEXPO '15
Nehelenia
Allen Crown Clown
Sakizo Anniversary
Steampunk - Bride

For Sale
My Wigs • Mascot, Costumes (Humanity has Declined) & D.Gray-man Poker Cards • Zori&Tabi from Japan

Arda & Shop.cosplay wig fiber swatch comparisons & Cosplay props tutorials and Makeup revies!
Ani_BEE is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-06-2012, 09:06 AM   #3
genkimami

Thanks, that's a good idea! It might also help a bit by making the lace a bit more flexible.
Unread 07-08-2012, 04:02 AM   #4
Saakura

I have a lace front wig-- and I cut the lace maybe..a few mm from the hairline. Then, I used eye shadow to blend in the lace with my natural hairline (the wig was the same as my natural color). BUT, using foundation also works well to blend the lace if you're using a wig color that is different from your natural hair color. Hope that made sense!
Saakura is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-08-2012, 05:30 AM   #5
genkimami

Thanks for your input Saakura! I think I'll go ahead and cut the lace still a bit shorter, I'm glad to hear it works.

Is your lace front wig from Arda? I found that the lace on Arda wigs is a bit stiff and when I tried to put foundation over it to blend the lace with the colour of my skin, the foundation kinda just got "stuck" in all the little holes of the mesh of the lace. I don't know if my explanation makes much sense. Luckily, my skin tone wasn't too different from the lace colour so it wasn't too bad, but I'll still try with blending the colour with the foundation again next time I wear my lace front!
Unread 07-08-2012, 06:50 PM   #6
Saakura

Quote:
Originally Posted by genkimami View Post
Thanks for your input Saakura! I think I'll go ahead and cut the lace still a bit shorter, I'm glad to hear it works.

Is your lace front wig from Arda? I found that the lace on Arda wigs is a bit stiff and when I tried to put foundation over it to blend the lace with the colour of my skin, the foundation kinda just got "stuck" in all the little holes of the mesh of the lace. I don't know if my explanation makes much sense. Luckily, my skin tone wasn't too different from the lace colour so it wasn't too bad, but I'll still try with blending the colour with the foundation again next time I wear my lace front!
I actually purchased mine on ebay <3 the seller was abracadabrabeauty
The lace is not thick at all, and really conformed to the shape of my forehead. I used spirit gum to adhere it to my skin, and then used powder over the lace. I'm sure if you cut it shorter it'll be less noticeable.
Saakura is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-09-2012, 08:49 AM   #7
Ani_BEE
Black Magic Woman

The Zig-Zag edge will also give it more flex as well. ^_^ As to the whole I guess if the glue you use fills those in more you won't see the pattern as much once you put foundation over it.

FanEXPO
Regina ~ Once Upon a Time(Fri)
Madeline Hatter ~ Ever After High (Sat)

Future cosplays/cons:
Anime North, Otakuthon, FanEXPO '15
Nehelenia
Allen Crown Clown
Sakizo Anniversary
Steampunk - Bride

For Sale
My Wigs • Mascot, Costumes (Humanity has Declined) & D.Gray-man Poker Cards • Zori&Tabi from Japan

Arda & Shop.cosplay wig fiber swatch comparisons & Cosplay props tutorials and Makeup revies!
Ani_BEE is offline   Reply With Quote