Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay by Series/Genre > Video Games > Legend of Zelda

Unread 07-02-2012, 04:15 AM   #1
Rangiku12
<3 Old School <3

First try at a Zelda cosplay

Hi everyone I am very new to making costumes but I am learning and I wanted to do a Gerudo outfit, namely nabooru's outfit.

http://zelda.wikia.com/wiki/Gerudo
http://zelda.wikia.com/wiki/Nabooru

I know this outfit has a name cause it similar to a cultural outfit I see in foreign movies. I have no idea what it called but if someone knows I could used it as a guide to making Nabooru's Outfit.

Also the jewels like the one on her Ponytail is way beyond my skill level. Anyone have made them before? and can help with that

How to make a nose and ears like her's?

I know im asking alot of question but I really want to make this so i can say I was once a Gerudo.

Working on
Tsunade (Naruto)
Mimmy (Hello Kitty)
Rangiku12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 07-03-2012, 01:09 AM   #2
Painapurru
Tries to be Helpful

Well most good Nabooru cosplays ignore the giant nose... Her ears are also just like a human's, so don't worry about those!

When I made the gem I was low budget and on a deadline so I used craft foam. I cut it out in polygons and then used hot glue to put it into the shape of her gem. I then sewed that into the wig we used. If you want to do anything more complex then you're looking into spending a lot of time and money on casting the gem/etc... For the other jewelry on the costume I suggest clay, beads, wiring, or other conventional jewelry making options.

The pants are essentially "harem pants". Many patterns and tutorials can be found online. The shirt is often done with just a tube top.
Painapurru is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-03-2012, 03:16 AM   #3
Rangiku12
<3 Old School <3

Yay thanks for telling me about the nose and ears..was scared a bit lol. and I will learn how to cut craft foam then. How you colored it? and Harem Pants I knew it was something! You have given me hope that i can do this.

Working on
Tsunade (Naruto)
Mimmy (Hello Kitty)
Unread 07-03-2012, 10:24 AM   #4
Painapurru
Tries to be Helpful

No problem dear~! I've made Zelda, Link, Dark Link, Malon, and Nabooru and I've got to say, aside from making the jewelry this costume was blissfully simple to do once I had it figured out.

When you use craft foam you have to remember to seal it. I used a 1:1:1 mixture of school glue, flexible fabric glue, and water (this seal keeps the foam pretty flexible). After you get your craft foam cut out and glued together used a dimensional paint (puff paint) to put the details on. After the details dry (and this part takes a couple days) coat the piece in the mixture, after it dries you do it again (repeat at least 5 times). I used gold acrylic paint for the base then used Rub'n'buff to get a really good gold color and put a patina on it with black/green acrylic paint. For the gem I painted it with the shiniest red paint I could find.
http://painapurru.deviantart.com/gal...22720#/d4zsm5p Ignore the silly faces, hah, but this is essentially the result. (I made the face gem out of polymer clay, painted it with acrylics, used nail polish for the gem, and then used spirit gum to put it on my friend's face)
Painapurru is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-05-2012, 01:58 AM   #5
narutokunobsess

Ive also worked with craft foam (see fi cosplay). If your tired of the glue method, use plasti dip method. Its a bit more expensive, but its bit better result:

Hero tutorials gives a good example. Even though its not craft foam, it still foam and itsthe same idea.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dctys...feature=fvwrel

Its also less messy method then the glue.
Unread 07-05-2012, 04:24 AM   #6
Rangiku12
<3 Old School <3

Thanks narutokunobsess Tutorials are my life savers

Working on
Tsunade (Naruto)
Mimmy (Hello Kitty)
Unread 07-07-2012, 04:15 AM   #7
narutokunobsess

Welcome!!

Oh yea, if you look at my icon, my crown is made out of fun foam. Pretty decieving eh? Its just sealed, spray painted, and then shine with future wax and rub and buff.
Unread 07-07-2012, 07:32 AM   #8
StarsCASSiOPEiA
Crazy name CAPiTALiZATiON

Make sure you seal your foam before you paint-- the foam will just suck up the colour and not get that nice glossy, metallic sheen otherwise.

As for the jewels, you might want to look into resin casting tutorials. It's a bit of an involved and slightly expensive process, but then you can make any shape of jewel in whatever colour you want!
  • Emperor Lelouch (Code Geass): 2% (Planning) Katsucon 2015
  • Hilda, Player Character (Pokemon Black): 18% (Sewing) ?????
DeviantART // Tumblr // Facebook
StarsCASSiOPEiA is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-07-2012, 07:38 AM   #9
Rangiku12
<3 Old School <3

Thanks StarsCassiopeia since i cant really afford to do resin casting plus i have no clue with resin is..I am just going to use the craft foam and old Jewelry I find at a thrift store

Working on
Tsunade (Naruto)
Mimmy (Hello Kitty)
Unread 07-09-2012, 10:49 AM   #10
ladysphinx07
Cats Don't Like Me Much

Another option for the jewels is if you wanted it to have a little shimmer effect, you can glue plastic plates together and paint the inside. I did this for my Skyward Sword Zelda cosplay and did a little tutorial here . It's pretty inexpensive and very light!
ladysphinx07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-10-2012, 06:36 AM   #11
Rangiku12
<3 Old School <3

Great Tutorial ladysphinx I will follow it

Working on
Tsunade (Naruto)
Mimmy (Hello Kitty)
Unread 07-10-2012, 08:15 AM   #12
ladysphinx07
Cats Don't Like Me Much

Quote:
Originally Posted by arrancar12 View Post
Great Tutorial ladysphinx I will follow it
I hope it helps! Feel free to PM me if you have any questions!
ladysphinx07 is offline   Reply With Quote