Go Back   Cosplay.com > Off-Topic Chat > General Off-Topic Forum

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 32 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 07-09-2012, 02:59 PM   #1546
PrincessKaori87
Caffeine addict

I want hummus now.

Me on Twitter
Me on deviantART
Me on Facebook
PrincessKaori87 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 07-09-2012, 03:38 PM   #1547
Lithium Flower
Handphones

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Hag View Post
The Saint's standard lunch is onigiri, fresh vegetables (baby carrots, bell pepper slices, cherry tomatoes, celery sticks), fresh fruit (banana, apple, orange, grapes), raw nuts. We put the rice cooker on the timer the night before and it only takes about 10 min. to put everything else together. Since Brando has access to a microwave, you can just make extra portions of whatever you have for dinner and he can take leftovers. Also hard boiled eggs.

I'm in NYC Ktown eating cold noodles, mandu and Pinkberry.
How could I not think about Onigiri?! He loves that and I can fill it with crab meat or cooked and shredded chicken! DURP FACE EMMERS. GAWSH.

Brandon seems to have the pickiest aversion to vegetables and eggs. Lettuce is about the only veg he eats. He won't touch onions and he hasn't eaten an egg since he was in elementary school. Brando being extremely picky is one of the reasons I was kinda at an impasse with what to make him without it being "Sandwiches and chicken strips for a week" kinda thing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by penny_dreadful View Post
I have a lot of ideas, but most of them involve advanced cooking. It's easiest to make batches of stuff like rice, legumes, meat, and so on over the weekend and keep it in the fridge or freezer to pack quick lunches in the morning.

It's pretty tough to do much beyond sandwiches if you don't have things prepped and ready in advance before he heads out in the morning. Unless, of course, you enjoy getting up an hour before him to cook.
I would like to say I am a proficient cook, but I wouldn't venture to say that BBQ chicken wings amounts to any worth while skill >>'

Neither of us mind getting up earlier, but I think I am going to need to get his help to prepare some things in advance like big pots of cooked meat or preparing ingredients that he can throw together easily.

I found out just a short time ago that apparently they have one of those small table-top toaster ovens so I've thought about getting some more English muffins and making up a big pot of tomato sauce so I could pack the sauce with the muffin and he could put the sauce on top of the muffins and sprinkle cheese on top and pop them in the toaster oven for little pizzas.
◆○◆○◆○◆○◆○
Tumblr silliness.

◆○◆○◆○◆○◆○
Deviantart of more super silliness

Lithium Flower is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-09-2012, 03:53 PM   #1548
penny_dreadful
la ctholita

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lithium Flower View Post
I would like to say I am a proficient cook, but I wouldn't venture to say that BBQ chicken wings amounts to any worth while skill >>'
Sorry for the unclear wording; I meant "needs to be cooked in advance", not "requires advanced cooking skills".
"And we are all told from the moment we open our eyes, that everyone is entitled to his or her opinion. Well, thatís horsepuckey, of course. We are not entitled to our opinions; we are entitled to our informed opinions. Without research, without background, without understanding, itís nothing. Itís just bibble-babble. Itís like a fart in a wind tunnel, folks." --Harlan Ellison
penny_dreadful is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-09-2012, 04:49 PM   #1549
Lithium Flower
Handphones

Quote:
Originally Posted by penny_dreadful View Post
Sorry for the unclear wording; I meant "needs to be cooked in advance", not "requires advanced cooking skills".
Look what you did Penny. LOOK WHAT YOU WENT AND DID. My self esteem was CRUSHED.
◆○◆○◆○◆○◆○
Tumblr silliness.

◆○◆○◆○◆○◆○

Unread 07-09-2012, 06:29 PM   #1550
The Hag
All Hail Christmastoad

My daughter made melon soup. It's like drinking pumpkin pie. Which is to say - like heaven.
The Hag is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-10-2012, 12:55 PM   #1551
penny_dreadful
la ctholita

Probably gonna break the page, but...

That's the cake I made for myself. It took roughly 8 hours to complete. It tastes so excellent. I wish I'd added a little food coloring to the buttercream to make it more pink, but that's the only thing I would change. I also wish I'd taken nice pictures! THIS WOULD NEVER BE ACCEPTABLE ON MY INSTAGRAM FOOD BLOG.
"And we are all told from the moment we open our eyes, that everyone is entitled to his or her opinion. Well, thatís horsepuckey, of course. We are not entitled to our opinions; we are entitled to our informed opinions. Without research, without background, without understanding, itís nothing. Itís just bibble-babble. Itís like a fart in a wind tunnel, folks." --Harlan Ellison
Unread 07-10-2012, 01:10 PM   #1552
Bisected8
panificium delicatum sum

...all the cakes I've baked suddenly feel inadequate. v_v

To do; Dark Link (70%) Link (20%)

Can't write, can't draw. Can code, a little.
Bisected8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-10-2012, 01:18 PM   #1553
PrincessKaori87
Caffeine addict

I know what you mean...I've never done more than 2 layers...

Me on Twitter
Me on deviantART
Me on Facebook
PrincessKaori87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-10-2012, 01:20 PM   #1554
Bisected8
panificium delicatum sum

The most I've done is a few cakes with three layers: http://fav.me/d3j6qkp http://fav.me/d4amisf

Unread 07-10-2012, 01:41 PM   #1555
penny_dreadful
la ctholita

This was more layers than I've ever put on top of one another at once. I think the cake didn't collapse upon itself because all the layers were uniform in size; if I'd done tiers (which I've tried and suck at), it would have tipped over sideways or imploded.

But it's very routine for me to push my own limits with my baking and attempt things that are, realistically, way beyond my actual skill level. Despite being bigger than normal, this cake consisted of things I'm practiced at-- Swiss meringue buttercream, ganache, marshmallow fondant, and so on are all things I've made numerous times. And, honestly, I cheated on the actual cake and used mixes because I didn't want to be in the kitchen for three days straight. So it wound up being pretty successful despite combining a lot of different elements.
Unread 07-10-2012, 01:44 PM   #1556
Sybren117
Gipsy Danger

Don't worry about who has got the best baking skills, guys. If it makes you guys feel any better, I wouldn't be able to eat any of them!

Not because I don't like cake, it's just they all look far too pretty to eat!

But it's probably the not liking cakes thing as well.
Sybren117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-10-2012, 01:51 PM   #1557
The Hag
All Hail Christmastoad

That's lovely, PD!

I never say no to cake, even though I like pie better. I'm easy that way.
The Hag is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-10-2012, 01:58 PM   #1558
Bisected8
panificium delicatum sum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sybren117 View Post
Don't worry about who has got the best baking skills, guys. If it makes you guys feel any better, I wouldn't be able to eat any of them!

Not because I don't like cake, it's just they all look far too pretty to eat!

There's also the fact that they're all either a great distance away or have long been eaten.

Unread 07-10-2012, 02:12 PM   #1559
penny_dreadful
la ctholita

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sybren117 View Post
GET OUT.
Unread 07-10-2012, 02:45 PM   #1560
Lithium Flower
Handphones

Shockingly, I am not really big on cake. Probably because the majority of cakes I've had are the ones with like 3 inches of generic overly sugary frosting.

I like cupcakes better because they're small and precious and generally have more quality put into them then the cakes I've had before.

Out of all desserts I'd say I'd pick creme brulee over anything. I love it when it's infused with other flavors like vanilla, with fruit in the bottom of it. I had a really amazing one in New York at a now defunct restaurant that used to look out at the cup ramen thing in Time Square (it's now some stupid ass lounge ) and the thing was HUGE, but amazing and had strawberries and blueberries cooked inside the custard so when you scooped out a big spoonful they where at the bottom of the dish but not at all burnt or 'popped'.

La Madeline is a restaurant in the South that's sort of a French-based 'bistro' with a pastry house inside and they have creme brulee cooked in a graham cracker crust so you can eat the whole thing. So good. Nerrrrgggg.

I really want to try Lavender Creme Brulee:

Edit:I almost forgot to mention 'sushi boat'/Kompai in Chicago has an amazing green tea creme brulee!
◆○◆○◆○◆○◆○
Tumblr silliness.

◆○◆○◆○◆○◆○