Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > Masquerade / Skit Discussion

Unread 07-11-2012, 09:23 PM   #1
Chrono180

Katawa shoujo skit. Too Niche? And, crossplay in masquarades?

Alright, so I was planning on making a skit playing Kenji from Katawa Shoujo doing an amusing rant about feminists. Thing is, I'm beginning to wonder if KS is too obscure to get any kind of reaction out of people. I mean, it was really popular for a few months, but then kinda become niche. And while there were some rather obscure (at least, I think they were obscure. Takarazuka, Rosario + Vampire, Record of Lodoss Wars, stuff like that) skits in the con I went to, I don't know if KS is a good idea for a skit. I mean, I'd like to do it, but I don't know if there'd be any point.

Which brings me to my next question. A good friend of mine asked me if i wanted to do a Railgun skit. Problem is, both of us are 20-odd year old men and the characters he is suggesting (Ruiko Saten and Kazari Uiharu. He'd want me to play Uiharu, probably) are teenage girls. Now, he makes a fairly cute girl, but I'm not convincing. I mean, I don't look awful, ( you can see a picture of my sailor mars outfit at http://www.flickr.com/photos/cadha13...in/photostream . I know the outfits not great, going to get a better one), but I'm not nearly feminine enough to "pass".

So, I'd like your advice on what I should do. I don't know if KS is a good choice for a skit, and I don't know what the standards are on crossplay in this kind of thing. Thoughts?
Chrono180 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 07-12-2012, 09:15 PM   #2
CapsuleCorp
Master level costumer

There is no standard for crossplay in masquerades. A costume is a costume is a costume, it truly does not matter who is wearing the costume or whether they "pass." As long as the costume is made well and you can show it off well on stage, the rest doesn't matter.

Obscurity is not an obstacle either, but the more obscure a source is, the more you have to make your performance appeal to a broad audience. If it relies on an in-joke about the character or series, nobody's going to get it. And if the judges don't get it, it's not going get you points there. I don't know the series or character you mention, but something about the idea of "rant about feminists" doesn't sound like a good idea. If it's in-character for the character, that's one thing, but if nobody in the audience knows that it's the character's thing, it could just come off offensive. Hot-button topics and stand-up or rant performances do not mesh well, whether or not the character is well-known.

COMMISSIONS! Strange Land Costuming - www.strangelandcostumes.com
CapsuleCorp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-12-2012, 10:12 PM   #3
Chrono180

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapsuleCorp View Post
There is no standard for crossplay in masquerades. A costume is a costume is a costume, it truly does not matter who is wearing the costume or whether they "pass." As long as the costume is made well and you can show it off well on stage, the rest doesn't matter.

Obscurity is not an obstacle either, but the more obscure a source is, the more you have to make your performance appeal to a broad audience. If it relies on an in-joke about the character or series, nobody's going to get it. And if the judges don't get it, it's not going get you points there. I don't know the series or character you mention, but something about the idea of "rant about feminists" doesn't sound like a good idea. If it's in-character for the character, that's one thing, but if nobody in the audience knows that it's the character's thing, it could just come off offensive. Hot-button topics and stand-up or rant performances do not mesh well, whether or not the character is well-known.
Well, the thing about Kenji is that his defining characteristic is that he belives theres a massive feminist conspiracy infiltrating everything. My rant would be sufficiently ludicrous that I highly doubt anyone would take it seriously (without giving too much away, parts would involve him telling the audience to never sleep, and to dream without sleeping by imbedding a thoroughly disgusting concoction). I just wonder if KS is popular enough for there to be any point in doing it.
Chrono180 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-13-2012, 07:48 AM   #4
Rirukuo

I've played Katawa Shoujo, and I really liked it! Kenji is a great character, and his rants are really funny. If you're allowed to use music, you should totally have his theme music in the background while you talk. I don't know how many how actually know about KS, but I know that is was really popular when it got out. But I just started playing it a month ago after someone recommended it to me, so maybe it's still popular? I don't know. But I know that I would enjoy a skit from KS :3
Suigintou - 1% done for Banzaicon 2014

Tumblr DeviantArt Cure
Rirukuo is offline   Reply With Quote