Go Back   Cosplay.com > Off-Topic Chat > General Off-Topic Forum

Unread 07-13-2012, 12:32 PM   #1
Rangiku12
<3 Old School <3

Unhappy Seller Paypal Fee

I think this has already been discussed but I wanted to share my story.

I have a paypal but its for receiving payments on things I sell I don't use it to pay for things I use my debit card and when I buy something from someone who's payment method is using paypal I click the option that i don't have a paypal and I pay that way. I've never gotten charged for a fee yet since I always put the exact amount of what im buying in my card. Ive recently had someone tell me I didn't pay them fully only to find out it was the fee that wasn't paid and they were mad I didn't pay it. A paypal Rep told me I was not to do so..its the seller who has to. The seller sent me a email telling me since i wanted to buy the item i should pay it..but they put it up to be sold so they should be at fault right? I ended up just getting my money back. Anyone else had this problem?

Working on
Tsunade (Naruto)
Mimmy (Hello Kitty)
Rangiku12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 07-13-2012, 12:44 PM   #2
Lithium Flower
Handphones

This might be better suited to something in the reviews forum perhaps?

I am a commissioner and I bear the brunt of the fee's that are taken out by paypal. IE: If a commission was $50 and I end up getting $48 (as an example, I am not familiar with the rates off the top of my head) it's just how it is. I don't add the cost of the paypal fee to the piece I am selling because it really doesn't effect me much. I can understand where others would because they are losing profit, however as a seller they shouldn't automatically assume the buyer knows they are responsible for the paypal fee and should be upfront about this as part of the cost.

IE:

If they're getting $48 out of $50 they make the total cost of the product $52 to make up for the fee's.

This should be well explained to the purchaser and it's up to the sellers to make their terms of sale clear.
◆○◆○◆○◆○◆○
Tumblr silliness.

◆○◆○◆○◆○◆○
Deviantart of more super silliness

Lithium Flower is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-13-2012, 12:49 PM   #3
Rangiku12
<3 Old School <3

Thanks Lithium Flower! However my ordeal was on ebay not here so i didn't want to put it in the review thread. Anyways Im happy in what you said..The seller never mentioned a thing about the fee and expected me to pay it.

Working on
Tsunade (Naruto)
Mimmy (Hello Kitty)
Unread 07-13-2012, 01:15 PM   #4
Lithium Flower
Handphones

Quote:
Originally Posted by arrancar12 View Post
Thanks Lithium Flower! However my ordeal was on ebay not here so i didn't want to put it in the review thread. Anyways Im happy in what you said..The seller never mentioned a thing about the fee and expected me to pay it.
Just to make sure I understand, the situation was this:

You where purchasing a product off an ebay seller, and paying through paypal.
Paypal fee's where incurred by the seller, dropping the total they received from X to Y.
Ebay seller wants you to pay the cost of the paypal fee's to bring the total payment back to X.

A good chunk of my sales are through paypal (I prefer checks but yah' know) and I've never asked a buyer to pay over the fee's as part of using paypal. While I can entirely understand the practice, that information should be freely available and clearly stated to any and all buyers before they make a purchase or order a commission.

Having clear and concise terms in place (/cough/thankyouHag/cough/) not only benefits the seller but the buyer as well. It almost feels sneaky and underhanded that a seller would withhold this information until the purchase was 'technically' made, or even like they've never known in advance that paypal takes a fee out and was upset by this and scrambled to get their full portion of payment back.

If your payment terms are not clear, or you don't provide that information before someone makes a purchase then the fee's should be incurred by yourself as the seller :| that's just my views on it after dealing with some fair amount of Paypal using for my own sales.
◆○◆○◆○◆○◆○
Tumblr silliness.

◆○◆○◆○◆○◆○

Unread 07-13-2012, 01:19 PM   #5
Rangiku12
<3 Old School <3

I see now! Thanks again I will be more wary of this and ask more questions when I buy from ppl from now on.

Working on
Tsunade (Naruto)
Mimmy (Hello Kitty)
Unread 07-13-2012, 02:58 PM   #6
ThakYuki
Kittysaurus Rex!

If they were trying to make you pay fees on something you purchased from ebay, they are in the wrong. It is the SELLER's responsibility to pay paypal fees. I understand in a situation like Lithium mentioned, of doing a commission, then adding on a few dollars to cover those paypal fees.

Report them to ebay, as this is a no-no.

Thank you for completely removing my signature without emailing me that it was too long.
ThakYuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-13-2012, 04:12 PM   #7
Miyabi-
All Will Be Well

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThakYuki View Post
If they were trying to make you pay fees on something you purchased from ebay, they are in the wrong. It is the SELLER's responsibility to pay paypal fees. I understand in a situation like Lithium mentioned, of doing a commission, then adding on a few dollars to cover those paypal fees.

Report them to ebay, as this is a no-no.
This. You'll need to file this ASAP since there is a time limit for these things when it comes to Paypal.
Out of curiosity is the seller withholding your item until you pay the fee?
Miyabi- is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-13-2012, 04:14 PM   #8
Rangiku12
<3 Old School <3

I got my money back and will report them! Thanks and yeah they did put it back up for sell

Working on
Tsunade (Naruto)
Mimmy (Hello Kitty)
Unread 07-13-2012, 04:15 PM   #9
Lithium Flower
Handphones

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miyabi- View Post
This. And if they put the item back up for sale and haven't refunded you then you need to file a claim ASAP since there is a time limit for these things.
^If that's the case then YES. File a claim. I was under the impression you had already been given a refund of your money at this time and THEN it was put up for sale again.
◆○◆○◆○◆○◆○
Tumblr silliness.

◆○◆○◆○◆○◆○

Unread 07-13-2012, 04:18 PM   #10
Miyabi-
All Will Be Well

Quote:
Originally Posted by arrancar12 View Post
I got my money back and will report them! Thanks and yeah they did put it back up for sell
That's good! I'm glad you got your money back!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lithium Flower View Post
^If that's the case then YES. File a claim. I was under the impression you had already been given a refund of your money at this time and THEN it was put up for sale again.
I realized that mistake and I edited my post and asked for clarification from arrancar12
Miyabi- is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-13-2012, 04:27 PM   #11
Rangiku12
<3 Old School <3

Thanks again you guy I feel much better now but it still strikes me that he was crying over $2

Working on
Tsunade (Naruto)
Mimmy (Hello Kitty)