Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Photography > Photography Chat

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 7 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 06-28-2012, 12:20 PM   #496
PsychoLove
Zombie Aeris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foques View Post
Granted, I haven't been to many cons yet..
but at the cons i've been a apart of, if the cosplayer isn't wanting to make an effort to be in character for the shot, I won't put an effort in considering/framing/taking/PPing the shot. I definitely appreciate the folks who take a moment to strike a pose. Afterall, if the costume is built well, that person (odds are) won't have any issues getting in character momentarily.
#2 question... really depends. I normally ask the person to pose for me in a certain way once the other photogs have dissipated..
That is actually really helpful; thank you! I will do my best to pose always :')

www.moonsquid-illustration.com

Recently Completed:
The Nightmare Before Christmas: Sally
Princess Mononoke: San
Final Fantasy IV: Rydia (2.0)
Magic Knight Rayearth: Hikaru (final armor)

IN PROGRESS:
Final Fantasy IX: General Beatrix
Sailor Moon: Princess Serenity
Twilight Princess: Princess Zelda
PsychoLove is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 06-28-2012, 01:35 PM   #497
Surfsama
Noob with a Nikon

Quote:
Originally Posted by PsychoLove View Post
As a cosplayer, I have been starting to feel a bit iffy about my posing and the decisions I have been making, and so I pose these two questions to you guys:

1) When not in a private shoot (more over, when you're in a crowded lobby etc), do you guys care if the cosplayer is in a dynamic pose or if they are just standing there in a line? I'm always finding myself wanting to be as dramatic as possible, but I'm not sure if it is worth the effort or appreciated!
The feeling is understandable. These so-called “Hallway” shots are usually just hit-and-run snaps. However, I would guess if someone is getting the courage up to ask you for a picture they would like a good pose and of course your picture might end up on the web. You might have to be a little clarvoyant and decide if it’s worth the effort to go full drama or a simple smile.

Quote:
2) Say you pass a cosplayer already in a pose, surrounded by other photographers and you take out your camera for a shot, are you disappointed if they shift their pose to look at you? Was it exactly what you saw initially that got your interest, or did you want them to change poses to look at you? I am never sure if I should shift my attention around, or if I should just hold one pose and let the photographers find the angle they want out of my statue of a being...
You should give your attention to the photographer that first ask for your picture. Only when he/she is done should you turn your attention to the “gatherers”. I would say just hold a pose for a bit and then shift to another and let the photogs deal with it. You’re not obligated to please everyone and they are not paying you for your time.
Surfsama is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-13-2012, 08:14 PM   #498
firecloak

Do you do photoshoots for the same cosplay?

For example, if you photographed a Ciel and Sebastian (Black Butler) before, would you photograph these characters again if a different cosplayer asked you to? Would you only do this if it's a special circumstance (close friend, etc)?

When I did this, I realized I didn't have as many ideas the second time around, and I wasn't as excited about taking the photos.
Unread 07-13-2012, 09:08 PM   #499
brucer007
Bruce Heinsius

@ firecloak

I don't mind photographing a character I already photographed on another cosplayer, if I like the character and the cosplay. I like having a collection of different versions and interpretations of a costume.

Sometimes I find a "better" version of a character I already photographed.

Chances are, I will be in a different location, giving the character a different look.

Different cosplayers have different skills, when it comes to posing.
brucer007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-13-2012, 09:09 PM   #500
TykeJack
envisageu.deviantart.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by firecloak View Post

For example, if you photographed a Ciel and Sebastian (Black Butler) before, would you photograph these characters again if a different cosplayer asked you to? Would you only do this if it's a special circumstance (close friend, etc)?

When I did this, I realized I didn't have as many ideas the second time around, and I wasn't as excited about taking the photos.
This is a good question. I basically shoot what inspires me. This directly relates to your question because if I know I already have good images of a Tifa or a Babydoll then I won't feel inspired to find and shoot another. That being said, though I may be less inclined to shoot those cosplays again if I AM inspired to shoot, then I'll put in just as much effort if not more as I did the first time around. This doesn't only apply to costumes either, it applies to cosplayers as well. So if I took photos of a person on day 1 of a convention, then I know I'll have a more strict threshold of whether or not I'll work with them again during the same convention. Sometimes it can even carry on for multiple years.

It's never personal, it's just a matter of wanting to experiment and capture new things,
TykeJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-13-2012, 10:13 PM   #501
Surfsama
Noob with a Nikon

Quote:

Yes. I approach each person I photograph, regardless of cosplay as a new challenge. If they happened to be 5 Ciel's and Sebastian's, then I will have 5 unique sets of those characters.
Surfsama is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-28-2012, 02:50 PM   #502
ChibiBel
Jax Mari

Quote:

I don't see any harm in it! A good cosplay is a good cosplay, and there's going to be more than one person who does a character well, especially when you go to cons.

As for the ideas, I have my own method. I usually do my own photoshoots, and since I always need help posing, I look up tooons of references of different poses and scenarios. Either done by other cosplayers and photographers, or screenshots, fanart, and cover-art from whatever series it is. I usually take anywhere from 20-50 of these reference photos with me on my phone's SD card (and swap them out accordingly to save space XD), so I can just whip my phone out and go through the photos and experiment with the different poses, angles, and scenarios. I usually never cover each and every idea, so there's always inspiration left for future shoots.

Plus, different cosplayers tend to represent the character in different ways. They all have their own unique take on the cosplay, even if you can't notice it when you're around them, you can definitely tell when you look at your photos.

I'm in love with my dork

"Cosplay the characters not because you look like them, but because you love them"
ChibiBel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-30-2012, 10:21 AM   #503
Ashurachan
now behind the lens

Quote:

In order to agree to a shoot, I generally have to be inspired by it. And I can be inspired several times by a given character, if the cosplayers have their own ideas for the theme and location of the shoot, and I think the shoot will be interesting.
But I'm very picky when it comes to extended shoots anyway, either I'm a big fan of the series, or there's a specific idea behind the shoot (that the cosplayer has come up with, or that I have), I'm not really the kind to completely improvise photoshoots, or to do them one after another during cons. I generally take my time, at least two hours, and it's generally no more than one in a day.
Ashurachan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-06-2012, 08:34 PM   #504
ChocoboxDreamer
Master Derper

What is the best way to make use of a camera that doesn't have the "best" megapixel quality? I'm thinking of doing some cosplay photography but I don't have the money to buy a professional camera, so instead I'll probably be using a digital camera that has average/maybe slightly above average photo quality... I know lighting and environment can bring out the best in any photo, but what else?
Tutankhamun - Eiyuu Senki (0% complete)

The Untold Stories of a Dreamer
Ethereal Whisper Photography
ChocoboxDreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-07-2012, 12:41 PM   #505
Av4rice
shameless photo whore

The megapixel value is just a mathematical count of pixels. On its own, it doesn't say much about image quality. Lens quality and physical sensor size are the real main determinants.

Anyway, besides light and environment, look at composition, pose direction, and post processing.

Particularly with composition, be aware of your subject distance and focal length. Farther away with a longer focal length is generally more flattering and recommended for most portraits. But close-up with a short focal length gives a distortion effect that could be useful for certain costumes.

Some posing resources here:

http://photoartsforum.com/benjis_tut...re-t966.0.html

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mHjJDriCYEc

Also make sure you have a good handle on metering, exposure, and focus with your camera (whichever controls are available). The better you have those nailed down, the less you have to worry about them and the more you can focus on creative decisions.

If you have a means for syncing off-camera flash, you can learn about using it here:

http://strobist.blogspot.com/2006/03/lighting-101.html

If not, avoid using flash as key light. I would stick with ambient and only flash maybe as fill.
Unread 08-27-2012, 01:42 AM   #506
EvilLittleKiss
Profound Historical Youth

I'm guessing this question has been asked before, but I'm too lazy to go through 34 pages of questions. I see so many cosplayers on here with professional pictures, how do I get a photographer to do that for me, preferably on the cheap/free/at a con?

Currently working on:
Scarlett O'Hara Drapery Dress -- Gone With the Wind
Deandra -- MPGiS
Anna Cornonation Dress -- Frozen
Vader Eloha/The Queen -- OFF
Princess Suwa -- Mascot of the city of Suwa, Japan

My favorite cosplays:
Brittnay Matthews -- MPGiS
Mom Lalonde -- Homestuck
Princess Kenny -- South Park

Tumblr: http://justacrazedfangirl.tumblr.com/
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/annikaskisses
EvilLittleKiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-27-2012, 06:00 AM   #507
yumi_shika

EvilLittleKiss
you only have to ask, usually when I'm not cosplaying I'll take people's picture's for free. some photographer would ask to be paid, but if they go to a con and take pictures, I'm pretty sure if you ask they would give you a 15 mins session (perhaps) to take your pictures in a more secluded or appropriate spot. that is, of course (no offence) if your costume or yourself do your part well (posing etc) and what's left is exchanging emails or such.
yumi_shika is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-27-2012, 02:10 PM   #508
brucer007
Bruce Heinsius

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilLittleKiss View Post
I see so many cosplayers on here with professional pictures, how do I get a photographer to do that for me, preferably on the cheap/free/at a con?
You could post a notice in the forum just below this forum called "Photo Shoot Scheduling".

Let them know you are in the Missouri area.

Good luck.
brucer007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-17-2012, 10:16 PM   #509
KJH-Photography
Just another Nikonian

Idk if anyone has ever inquired about this, but have any of you ever turned down a cosplayer either due to what she/he was cosplaying was something you either weren't fond of nor really familiar with, wasn't comfortable shooting, or just straight up didn't want to photograph them. If so how'd the cosplayer(s) react?
Tumblr
KJH-Photography is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-18-2012, 12:25 AM   #510
TykeJack
envisageu.deviantart.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJH-Photography View Post
Idk if anyone has ever inquired about this, but have any of you ever turned down a cosplayer either due to what she/he was cosplaying was something you either weren't fond of nor really familiar with, wasn't comfortable shooting, or just straight up didn't want to photograph them. If so how'd the cosplayer(s) react?
Never turned one down. Even if I wasn't interested in shooting them, I could always snap a couple of courtesy shots. It does become tedious when approaching a couple of cosplayers, because if you obviously spend 10 minutes on 1 and then spend like 15 seconds on the other, then they aren't going to be happy either. So balancing the focus between the two is a careful process so no one feels left out or offended.
TykeJack is offline   Reply With Quote