Go Back   Cosplay.com > Canada Convention Forums > Fan Expo

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 07-13-2012, 01:15 PM   #1
mokulen22
The Ducktape Queen

No Con Hype?

Does anyone notice the lack of interest or "Hype" this con is getting this year on the cos.com forum. Anime North a month before the con would be a zoo and the traffic/thread numberous.

I am not sure this is due to the lack of cosplayers who are interested or due to the recent crowd-control issues. I just thought i would ask the question...why do you guys think the con is lacking cosplayer interest?

Unread 07-13-2012, 01:24 PM   #2
KuroiAisu

Personally for me and some friends it's mainly because it's gone too coorperate. Last year it felt like I was paying to wander the dealers room. I barely saw any people in cosplay at all. I don't know if the cosplayers were hiding or what.
KuroiAisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-13-2012, 01:40 PM   #3
Ani_BEE
Black Magic Woman

Anime North has a much larger costumers fallowing. Also FanExpo costumers probably don't bother with this site as this is consider an "ANIME" thing and fallow their fandom forums like star wars.

Anime Cosplayer's are the few, the brave and the bold to go to FanExpo.

On a personal note I tend to cosplay better known animes/games at FanExpo as a whole.

Also the AN topic tend to die out the month after AN. I think is recouping time and for most AN is the one big con they go to.

Anime North '15
Souryuu / Sohryu - Yami no Matsuei (Fri)
Nehelenia ~ Sailor Moon (Sat)

Future cosplays/cons:
Allen Crown Clown
Sakizo Anniversary
Steampunk - Bride

For Sale
cosplay items, wigs, and materails for sale.
Arda & Shop.cosplay wig fiber swatch comparisons & Cosplay props tutorials and Makeup reviews!

Last edited by Ani_BEE : 07-13-2012 at 01:42 PM.
Ani_BEE is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-13-2012, 01:44 PM   #4
sweet_kat22
Graphic Designer

Because its getting too expensive and they don't seem to care about the attendees by treating them like cattle and some volunteers yell at the top of their lungs at people. I dunno if I am going next year only reason I like to go is because its comics , video games, sci fi and anime mixed together. I also like the guests they have. There are still a few cosplayers but a lot of them have lost interest due to the above reasons.

Atomic Lollipop
Unsure of costume plans

Fan Expo
Harley Quinn (maybe with a Joker)
sweet_kat22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-13-2012, 01:58 PM   #5
Ani_BEE
Black Magic Woman

I started to go full weekend because of the masquerade but I'm thinking of dropping back down to one day myself again after this year. I'd rather but my effort into some place else like Con-G and Otakuthon if I can get some grouping together (Never been to Montreal and I don't want to travel there alone.)

And yes everything is just jumping up in price to the point of what I like to check out might not be worth it anymore. I like the fact I can get there in one bus ride, rather then taking bus, subway, and another bus out to the TCC area with complicated costumes. ^_^

Anime North '15

Future cosplays/cons:
Allen Crown Clown
Sakizo Anniversary
Steampunk - Bride

For Sale
Arda & Shop.cosplay wig fiber swatch comparisons & Cosplay props tutorials and Makeup reviews!
Unread 07-13-2012, 05:41 PM   #6
Angathol
harmony harmony
Canada Forums Moderator

I think the sort of demographic that Cos.com attracts (younger crowd, etc.) can't really afford Fan Expo anymore, to be honest. That and there aren't enough special events that attract the anime/cosplay crowd these days. Fan Expo doesn't really cater to those fans; part of it may be because they can't get much additional revenue from them outside of the price of a badge. There aren't a lot of anime-related events they can get people to pay for, and their guests (voice actors, etc.) don't charge for autographs or photos. As such, they probably won't go out of their way to keep the anime kids coming year after year; it's more profitable to go after fans with more expendable income (e.g. older fans).

Oh well. I'm pretty stoked for the con this year. I love the Artist's Alley, and last year's Thursday and Friday felt super relaxed. Also, GIMLI AND CAPTAIN JACK HARKNESS
Angathol is evolving!
Congratulations! Your Angathol evolved into Independent Badass!
Future Costumes: Deedlit : Record of Lodoss War | Saber : Fate/Stay Night | Aya Shameimaru : Touhou Project | Nozomu Itoshiki : Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei
Angathol is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-13-2012, 10:57 PM   #7
kuroi_shi
Nerd Girl

I really want to go to fanexpo this year... As a giant Back to the Future fan, I can't pass up an opportunity to meet Doc. Brown (Christopher Lloyd)
But, as money is an issue, I don't know if I can afford to go, and I'd rather not post about how awesome Fanexpo is, then not be able to attend.. it would be so depressing.

I ended up working all weekend last Fanexpo.. (But, as I was working with Maggie Q on the set of Nikita, missing the convention wasn't a total tragedy)
I don't think I've been since 2008
Unread 07-13-2012, 11:48 PM   #8
x-musicfreak-x
Emotional Constipation

@Angathol: GIMLI!
I agree with the fact that FX does not have all that much going on for the anime fans, which does take up a good chunk of this forums traffic. There's also a lot of people that are upset with Hobbystar and will not go to any of their events anymore.
Personallly, I am super exicted. As long as I am a fan of tv, movies, games and comics, I will keep attedning FX.
Also, the cosplays I am doing are either over done (Ramona Flowers) or have no to little fanbase (Chuck and Silhouette Mirage) so I'm not gonna try to organize photoshoots or meetups lol

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/MusicfreakCreations
Tumblr: http://x-musicfreak-x.tumblr.com/
Youtube https://www.youtube.com/user/MusicfreakCreations
deviantART:http://x-musicfreak-x.deviantart.com/
x-musicfreak-x is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-14-2012, 05:19 AM   #9
seiryuux
Cosplay Chameleon

Admittedly, my Fan Expo hype kinda died down after experiencing my first Anime North this year. I usually went to FanEx because of the cosplays more than the guests. However, I was pleasantly surprised about AN, the larger cosplayer base, how much fan run as opposed to corporate run it is, and the wider variety of photoshoots offered in comparison (aside from Doctor Who, I could barely find any fans of the cosplays I do at FanEx). Paraphrasing what someone once said here about FanEx cosplay-wise, it "felt more like lots of casuals wearing their favorite fandom's t-shirts than actual cosplay." I could honestly see her point about that and agree with her in that regard.

For this year though, the hype returned with John Barrowman coming to FanEx and actually pushed me to complete a Captain Jack Harkness cosplay. That and meeting up with the rest of the Dr. Who Society of Canada, whom I haven't seen since last year.

Facebook
Fanfiction.net - Persona 3 Portable: Where No Persona Has Gone Before
seiryuux is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-14-2012, 06:52 AM   #10
uttate

As everyone stated it seems most people on this forum like AN better then FE. I personally prefer FE but that's just my taste. I think if you go to their Facebook Page you will see more people asking questions than over here!

But also Anime has been cut down a lot too. I think it's also for a lack of a better word there is no support from fans in this category because people seem to not enjoy this con. Junko last year the guest of honor at FE for Anime section have around 10 people show up to her panel. If people don't come off course they will cut that area. But I do know that the lolita section has been doing really well! You guys should definitely check out the fashion show it's quite fun!

Another thing is FE is expanding to Vancouver and there a lot less 'marketing' on this con I find. Because they are working on other projects.

Last edited by uttate : 07-14-2012 at 07:00 AM.
uttate is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-14-2012, 08:14 AM   #11
Ani_BEE
Black Magic Woman

Yes Junko panel was on Friday as well and a lot of anime fans can't afford the full weekend either. Being in the audience I was sad to see the turn out (huge room with 20+ people) but on the other hand she is more of an underground artist as it where and not everyone knows her work. For Amano you better believe their was a huge lineup for. He was my highlight for the 2010 year.

This year we don't seem to have an Anime guest of honor.

Anime North '15

Future cosplays/cons:
Allen Crown Clown
Sakizo Anniversary
Steampunk - Bride

For Sale
Unread 07-14-2012, 09:06 AM   #12
x-musicfreak-x
Emotional Constipation

I love Junko's work, but I couldn't attend her panel, probably cuz there was something else I wanted to see. I don't remember :P I did visit her booth and I picked up some buttons (I'm more a button person than a print/poster person). She was really sweet.
It seems that there isn't really any guests of honour for any section. Patrick Stewart was announced as the guest of honour for the whole con, I believe.

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/MusicfreakCreations
Tumblr: http://x-musicfreak-x.tumblr.com/
Youtube https://www.youtube.com/user/MusicfreakCreations
deviantART:http://x-musicfreak-x.deviantart.com/
x-musicfreak-x is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-14-2012, 03:44 PM   #13
Kairi's-Fantasy
Artsy Tech

I think that Fan Expo has more anime stuff this year than last year! (Unless I didn't really know about the anime events going on because I was being dragged around by my non-anime fan sister)
Last year was my first year at Fan Expo, and this year was my first at Anime North.
I had a blast at Fan Expo! There was so much to do, and honestly, I saw a lot of people cosplaying! I got so happy when I saw fellow cosplayers and anime characters that I knew!
At Anime North, I think the only reason I had more fun was because almost everyone is in cosplay and it made me so happy ^w^ Seeing all the cosplayers is great! And being in cosplay is just as fun!
A lot of cosplayers don't know about cos.com, so there may be more cosplayers there than you think.
But still, I can't really decide which con I like better =/
Taiga Aisaka (Toradora!)
Blossom (Powerpuff Girls - Original "post-disaster"/"geared up" ver.)

Planned for 2015:
Kairi (Kingdom Hearts - Steampunk)
Fem!Edward Elric (Fullmetal Alchemist)
Zelda (Hyrule Warriors)
Kairi's-Fantasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-16-2012, 07:59 PM   #14
naomi_censored
Jewish fiction-freak

I will always have a special place in my heart for Fan Expo, since it was my first ever convention. I love the vibe, the guests, the giant dealer's room, and how it gives me a chance to explore my other nerdy passions beyond just anime. But I wouldn't contradict what's been said, because it's probably all quite true. I wonder if Fan Expo's target market just aren't the "hype"-ing sort. *shrug*

I'm also a singer/musician. Check out my music here: www.youtube.com/naomiCENSOREDv2

Future cosplay wishlist:
~G-Dragon (2011 Big Show)
~Yomako Sensei (Yoko's teacher outfit- Gurren Lagann)
~Clawdeen Wolf (Monster High)
~Nana Komatsu (NANA)
~Sansa Stark (Game of Thrones)
~Jubee (Sunny Hill, The Grasshopper Song)
naomi_censored is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-16-2012, 09:26 PM   #15
okamichan
Wolf girl

this is my first year going to fan expo and i'm hoping it will be good i'm going to cosplay!! haha i'm hoping i'll have time to go to the anime cosplay work shops for those wonderflex and other alterations armor making tutorial panel things! so excited!
okamichan is offline   Reply With Quote