Go Back   Cosplay.com > Non-Cosplay Forums > Video Game Chat

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 24 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 07-16-2012, 09:47 AM   #5026
The Hag
All Hail Christmastoad

Alternating between Theatrhythm and FFXIII. I continue to love the former. FFXIII, why are you so odd? Ten chapters of unchallenging linearity then chapter 11 is a big open world where most of the random encounters and side missions feel like boss fights. I just got my ass kicked by a giant cactus. The fuck? I'm still enjoying it though.
The Hag is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 07-16-2012, 01:57 PM   #5027
Mesoian
I Can't Be Cool

I wish I liked Xenoblade more than I do. For every one great thing it has, it has 5 completely useless things that feel like they were put there to simply pad out the experience rather than make it genuine. Voice acting's good though, for the most part, though they seem to have regal and disinterested confused.

I'd like more games with British VA teams.

I think my next game is going to be Super Mario Galaxy 1, because I want to know why Nintendo isn't using their best new character in YEARS (Rosalina). For all the really quirky things they do behind the scenes with gender roles, sexual preferences, self image issues, all the really progressive stuff that's slipped in there for adults, but not so overt that it effect kids, I kind of wish the Wario games would explore the seedier side of the Mushroom Kingdom.

There are two transvestite characters in the Mario universe. One of them is one of my favorite characters from her (his) respective game. I kind of want them to go into deeper detail about it.

~Well If It Ain't Finally a Question That's Worth Answering~

Last edited by Mesoian : 07-16-2012 at 02:01 PM.
Mesoian is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-16-2012, 03:49 PM   #5028
Chergnomebyl
Landshark

Started playing Whiplash, but now I find myself having to watch my gf play Tomb Raider: Underworld because she gets stuck a lot of places.

https://www.facebook.com/ChergnomebylProps
Chergnomebyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-17-2012, 08:51 AM   #5029
TheAnarCHris
Overrated

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mesoian View Post
I think my next game is going to be Super Mario Galaxy 1, because I want to know why Nintendo isn't using their best new character in YEARS (Rosalina). For all the really quirky things they do behind the scenes with gender roles, sexual preferences, self image issues, all the really progressive stuff that's slipped in there for adults, but not so overt that it effect kids, I kind of wish the Wario games would explore the seedier side of the Mushroom Kingdom.

There are two transvestite characters in the Mario universe. One of them is one of my favorite characters from her (his) respective game. I kind of want them to go into deeper detail about it.
That Galaxy games are pretty great. I'd even go as far to say I prefer Galaxy 1 over Mario 64. I REALLY need to buy Galaxy 2 one of these days.

And to Nintendo's credit, Rosalina was in M-Kart Wii, one of the sports or party games, and cameoed in Smash Bros and of course, both Galaxy game. That's pretty solid for a NEW character in that series.

Meanwhile, I'm playing Penny Arcade:TPoD episode 3 and enjoying it. For $5, it's hard to find a better j-rpg experience w/o all those things that make J-rpgs terrible these days.

"I think that a huge problem is people who read comics and don't understand the point of superheroes, which is to be the best version of yourself. You love Captain America? Well, you know what Captain America would never do? Go online anonymously and shit on a girl for having an opinion." -Brian Michael Bendis
TheAnarCHris is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-17-2012, 12:35 PM   #5030
Mesoian
I Can't Be Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starwind824 View Post
That Galaxy games are pretty great. I'd even go as far to say I prefer Galaxy 1 over Mario 64. I REALLY need to buy Galaxy 2 one of these days.

And to Nintendo's credit, Rosalina was in M-Kart Wii, one of the sports or party games, and cameoed in Smash Bros and of course, both Galaxy game. That's pretty solid for a NEW character in that series.
They're using her in the same capacity that they're using Waluigi. There's something wrong with that. She's not even really in Galaxy 2 for very long, just long enough for there to be a wink and a nod about what's going on in the Galaxy universe.

I'm super interested in playing "Thomas Was Alone Today" but it's not on steam, and I've gotten to the point where I want all my games on steam no matter what, no matter how irrational that mindset is.

~Well If It Ain't Finally a Question That's Worth Answering~
Mesoian is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-18-2012, 08:40 AM   #5031
TheAnarCHris
Overrated

Finally beat Yoshi's Island this morning on the way to work and with that, I have now finally defeated 1995.

I also ended up putting some time into PA Episode 3 last night, and Tycho can now turn into a variety of dinosaurs. This is the best.

"I think that a huge problem is people who read comics and don't understand the point of superheroes, which is to be the best version of yourself. You love Captain America? Well, you know what Captain America would never do? Go online anonymously and shit on a girl for having an opinion." -Brian Michael Bendis
TheAnarCHris is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-18-2012, 03:50 PM   #5032
DarkFujin
Lang Zhi says...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starwind824 View Post

I really like Rosalina. I'm a little disappointed she wasn't in Mario Kart 7 though. She has so much potential that Nintendo isn't using as well as they could. But the Galaxy games are amazing. They're probably my favorite Mario games besides World and 64. But even still I can't decide if I like Galaxy better than 64 or the other way around. They're both really good in similar and yet very different ways. And know that when I say that, I really mean it. I don't know if I've ever told you guys this or not, but my favorite game series of all time is Super Mario. I'm dead serious. And outing myself more and more as a Nintendo fangirl.

Anyway, I've been slooooowly playing Tales of the Abyss. All the characters (especially the main dude) are super annoying and then I remember why I outgrew most anime.
DarkFujin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-18-2012, 10:27 PM   #5033
Arc_The_Lad
of Daventry

Trine 2
Last Remnant
Arc_The_Lad is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-19-2012, 12:11 AM   #5034
UNIT0918
Pursue your true self

I'm about halfway through the fourth and final case in Phoenix Wright: Justice for All. I gotta agree that this game/visual novel(?) really is the weakest in the series. None of the cases really grabbed me in this one. Then again, it's really hard to top how amazing the fifth case was in the first game. I literally stayed up all night just trying to finish that case because I was so engrossed in it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkFujin View Post
Anyway, I've been slooooowly playing Tales of the Abyss. All the characters (especially the main dude) are super annoying and then I remember why I outgrew most anime.
Told ya, lol.

But I'm just going to hope that the characters in Tales of Xillia are at least tolerable.
UNIT0918 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-19-2012, 09:07 AM   #5035
Zweihander
Resident jerkface

Update for Anarchy Reigns: Having the PS3 port of Bayonetta installed doesn't do shit, actually. I misunderstood someone in /vg/ when they said "if you have Bayonetta installed," she'd be available on all of that console's accounts. I went full retard and assumed they meant the game Bayonetta, when instead, they meant the Bayonetta DLC for Anarchy Reigns.

Anyway, Anarchy Reigns is amazing, with the exception of some lag-tastic warriors out there.

Last edited by Zweihander : 07-19-2012 at 09:12 AM.
Zweihander is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-19-2012, 12:08 PM   #5036
Kildread
I can fix it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arc_The_Lad View Post
Last Remnant
PC or 360?

The 360 version has several balance and performance issues --- I still found it pretty fun, but understand why anyone would be put off by it.

Apparently they fixed a lot of that in the PC version.
Kildread is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-19-2012, 12:32 PM   #5037
DarkFujin
Lang Zhi says...

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNIT0918 View Post
I'm about halfway through the fourth and final case in Phoenix Wright: Justice for All. I gotta agree that this game/visual novel(?) really is the weakest in the series. None of the cases really grabbed me in this one. Then again, it's really hard to top how amazing the fifth case was in the first game. I literally stayed up all night just trying to finish that case because I was so engrossed in it.
Yeah, Justice for All is the weakest of the original trilogy. However, it sets up the story for the third game, and the third game is THE BEST. But since you're on the last case already, if you really aren't feeling it you can skip to the third game if you want. I personally thought that the fourth case was decent and had tons of potential but they didn't really use it until Trials and Tribulations.

Quote:
Told ya, lol.

But I'm just going to hope that the characters in Tales of Xillia are at least tolerable.
*sigh*
Yeah, you told me....

I'm still playing it for now, I just don't like any of the characters and have absolutely no idea what's going on.
DarkFujin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-19-2012, 05:43 PM   #5038
Arc_The_Lad
of Daventry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kildread View Post
PC or 360?

The 360 version has several balance and performance issues --- I still found it pretty fun, but understand why anyone would be put off by it.

Apparently they fixed a lot of that in the PC version.
PC

I wouldn't know the 360 issues, I only get tid bits from my roommate who played it, though he says the main difference is you can use as many leader units as you want now.
Unread 07-20-2012, 02:09 AM   #5039
Kildread
I can fix it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arc_The_Lad View Post
PC

I wouldn't know the 360 issues, I only get tid bits from my roommate who played it, though he says the main difference is you can use as many leader units as you want now.
On 360, all fights would often slow down to a crawl with very noticeable lag in animations (I don't mean that on the light "We're gamers bitching about every little thing" way --- really bad lag like the console had issues handling the display). And you could end up screwed in the leveling sense since you could end up with a fairly high battle rank while your stats were either piss-poor, or you had upped less useful leaders.

And the best leveling spot was in a DLC package, I believe.

Game wasn't bad for me though.
Kildread is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-20-2012, 02:19 AM   #5040
Arc_The_Lad
of Daventry

You're battle rank goes up properly in my version, plus you can speed up battles, like it makes battles run in fast forward.

My only guff are "hard" enemies, AKA enemies that abuse the shit out of RNG to dodge everything and just spam the living fuck out of area attacks because they are ridiculously overpowered.