Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Crossplay

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 61 votes, 4.93 average.
Unread 11-09-2011, 12:35 PM   #346
VKlover
Natalie Cristina Ruiz

Hey! Ok, so, I need help.
I am 200+ pounds *shoots self* I am 5'4. *shoots self again* I have BAD posture >_>;; I slouch when I walk and or sit. I sit like a guy would (open legs, crotch area forward, shoulders back). I have broad shoulders also. When I stand, you can tell I'm female. With my weight, I have wide hips, and a big ass. But I think my fat ass kind of comes with my culture (being hispanic). But I want to eliminate that so people will think I'm male. I love crossplay, and I also think (because I have much more of a male appearence.) I am more comfortable cosplaying as male characters because of my physical appearance. So, can anyone help me...?

~Otakon 21~

Chieko (Kuragehime) 0% (Planning) (Friday)
Jack Frost (Rise of the Guardians)- 15% (wig only) (Friday Night)
Sollux Captor (Homestuck)- 100% (Saturday Morning)
Tsukimi Kurashita (Kurageshite (Jellyfish Princess) )- 50% (Saturday afternoon)
God Tier! Dave Strider (Homestuck)- 85% (Sunday)

See you guys in Baltimore~!

Last edited by VKlover : 11-10-2011 at 10:14 AM.
VKlover is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 12-10-2011, 07:47 PM   #347
Fedoracosplay

About the hidding hips and womenly curves problem. I got an idea that I might try out for my Ghirahim cosplay (he got a thight thight white body suit which is in term of crossplay a nightmare)

I'm 5'7 and I weight 125 lb and I have a really feminin body with an hourglass shape (bust 35', waist 25', hips 35'). My idea was to get two body suit , one pale grey/silver for his skin and a white one as a base for his clothing ( both would be Zentai without head). Under the grey body suit I would be wearing a gurdle for my hips and my compression shirt for my boobs (wich are D cup ). I would then tape (medical tape and some thin flexible foam sheet) some pading over my waist to make my waist as large as my hips (which are a size a guy could have and since the ration waist/ hips of a guy is close to one it would make my silhouette look more masculine). Then I would still have the problem of my leg being really thin in comparison of my waist and hips. I would correct that by padding a bit my leg where they get thinner ( a bit higher than the knee). This should do the trick I believe. I might want to pad (with only tape) over my calf to make them seems a bit more muscular since mine are quite thin. Fortunately I have broad shoulder so I will not have to pad them for that crossplay (while I had done it for other crosplay in the past)

So in general for a good crossplay you need:
-Padding aroud the waist so that your waist is about as large as your hips (if needed... if you are wearing baggy outfit there is no need)
-A gurdle or something to shape your hips a bit (then again only if thight outfit)
-Pant that are straight not thight if possible ( if not pad your leg a bit !)
-Shoulder pad... don't be afraid of them they work magic !
- Compression shirt or tape to get rid of the boobies ( I can make my D cup dissapear so it's not impossible even when you have plenty)

also important
-Make up !
-Attitude
-Posture

and that's all <3
Fedoracosplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-06-2012, 12:40 PM   #348
Ainsil
Om nom nom time!

I've been stalking this thread for a while and I share one of the major issues. The hips. I have a huge problem with my hips. I'm only 5'2.5 but I go from a 28" waist to hips of 40" at the widest part. Part of the 40 inches is thigh muscles. Binding my chest isn't hard. But is there anything else I can do for my hips? I've already got a thing that smooths things from my waist to thighs, but is there anything else I can get?

Anime North 2014:
Clear (Dramatical Murder), Nagisa Hazuki (Free!), Sawada Tsuna (KHR)
Ainsil is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-06-2012, 11:29 PM   #349
Akune-chan

Has anyone ever used the Underworks Body Tank Suit?
o...o It compresses both the chest, stomach, hips and thighs I heard.

I'm still trying to figure out what to get for my Crossplays.
I'm an hour glass figure. (5'8, 150lb-160lb while I look 130lb with an A cup sized chest and a small waist) and I do not know if I should get the tank suit.
Unread 03-07-2012, 08:33 PM   #350
SilentCAt
Twisted Hi-def Fly girl

For me it's binding the hips and butt. I have a cottage cheese ass X-X
Felicia Darkstalkers

----
Upcoming Con- TBA 2013

Last edited by SilentCAt : 03-21-2012 at 10:05 PM.
SilentCAt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-20-2012, 07:06 PM   #351
Yokoskitsune

k so I've no problem with my bust being big (thank god) but I found out from my last years cosplay I have an ass >_<

I do exercises for that, but is there anything I can use to flatten it some?

Severus Snape 90%

Faust VIII 100%

Inuyasha 100%
Yokoskitsune is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-26-2012, 07:34 AM   #352
ewor

i have the same problem but working out doesnt work 4 me all i am now slim with wide sides v.v so i try to stay away for short skirts and tight leggings ><'
ewor is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-26-2012, 07:40 AM   #353
ewor

i have the same problem but working out doesnt work 4 me all i am now slim with wide sides v.v so i try to stay away for short skirts and tight leggings ><'
ewor is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-29-2012, 11:46 AM   #354
GenLover

I'm 5'4" and 120 lbs. However I've birthed 3 kids and I definitely have child bearing hips lol I used Simplicity Girl Shorts. They are kind of expensive at $50 but are awesome if you have mega hips/butt lol

2014 Convention List:
Indy Pop Con * May 30-June 1
Gen Con * August 14-17
Star Base Indy * November 28-30
GenLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-29-2012, 11:06 PM   #355
rainbowxkat
Rainbowxbutterxkat

okay so I'm going to be cosplaying Captain America ( the Avengers costume). He has a very narrow waist. I was born with a 36 inch hip. I have a 32 inch waist, so I need to make my hips smaller. I don't want to make myself look, 'bigger'. Any advice? I was thinging some kind of elastic breeches to help bring in my hips. Help?

Last edited by rainbowxkat : 05-29-2012 at 11:23 PM. Reason: forgot something
rainbowxkat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-05-2012, 02:04 AM   #356
Altair
innocence activate!

I don't know if this has been covered already, but here's a trick I learned from working in theater costuming that might help with the hips issues. It is often better to pad the body out rather than cinch it in when trying to alter the silhouette of the body. It's understandable if a lot of folks have a knee-jerk reaction to making the body bigger, but in the right places it is very effective.

For example, if you're hippy, shoulder and chest padding can equalize your figure in a comfortable fashion. Custom-made shoulder pads (there are many tutorials available) allow you to control the thickness of the pads and thus the breadth of the shoulders. Also, most tailored men's garments have chest padding built in to smooth out the front of the body. You can mimic this padding inside your own garment. It's these internal structures that make a masculine shape, rather than constriction of the body underneath. I do feel binding is effective is in the chest (provided it is done in a safe manner). Wherever your binding falls short, your shaping in the garment can compensate for.
Altair is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-20-2012, 12:58 AM   #357
Eichan
Fluffy Pink Cat

I used to be very obese (5'5" and 264 pounds) and people always told me that, while I was a chubbywa, I didn't look that heavy. After I lost all the weight (I weigh around 95 pounds now) I FINALLY understand why. I'm the tiniest thing I've ever seen, like a walkin stick. Sticks for legs, sticks for arms, flat bum bum (I got NOTHING back there), itsy bitsy waist. The only thing non stickly about me is my chest and my hip width.
Now, this is great for crossplaying thinner guys. Some binding, some padding to widen my waist, and I have an acceptably male body.

Now, for some relevant info.
I make all my padding (for legs, arms, chest, as long as it's coverred or camoflauged with a skin substitute) out of air muscles. Google how to make them. Take two straps (either belts or something that will fit as close to your skin as possible. I like snap and velcro closures) and sew one end of the air muscle to each strap. Viola! Now you can play as buffer characters, yay! For a pectoral piece, it'll be a wider band with muscles sewn in differently though. Air muscles can be made thick or thin, so they work for all sorts of characters. I imagine you could also do this on vests and shirts and just wear that under your costume, too...
Unread 10-10-2012, 06:44 PM   #358
Ember1412
Proud Memeber of YAI

So... I'm going to be wearing Spandex for my next crossplay... And well I'm trying to figure out how I would go abouts making my shoulders more broad without it looking bad. (Probably a bad choice for a second crossplay and the first I'm actually attempting to look like a guy)
Unread 11-06-2012, 03:19 AM   #359
LeaXIII

Okay, I'm planning to crossplay as Envy from Fullmetal Alchemist. The problem is, I have rather large hips compared to my waist, and even though Envy is pretty feminine-looking... he doesn't have giant hips. Since my midriff will be exposed, I can't exactly pad my waist to make my hips look smaller... is there anything I can do, or will I just have to deal with it? (sorry if this may have been discussed already, but I kinda don't want to read through all 24 pages of thread...^^')
LeaXIII is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-06-2012, 09:37 AM   #360
Libis

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeaXIII View Post
Okay, I'm planning to crossplay as Envy from Fullmetal Alchemist. The problem is, I have rather large hips compared to my waist, and even though Envy is pretty feminine-looking... he doesn't have giant hips. Since my midriff will be exposed, I can't exactly pad my waist to make my hips look smaller... is there anything I can do, or will I just have to deal with it? (sorry if this may have been discussed already, but I kinda don't want to read through all 24 pages of thread...^^')
What about those slimming tights (I think they're called spanx?)
Libis is offline   Reply With Quote