Go Back   Cosplay.com > US Convention Forums > Costume-Con

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 07-25-2011, 12:37 AM   #1
Kaijugal
☆FibreFantasyArtist

Smile Costume Con 32 in Canada / Programming Ideas

Costume Con 32 (2014) will be in Canada.

We are already beginning to work on programming ideas so if you have any ideas of what you would like to see in panels, demos, and workshops please feel free to PM me or write your ideas here.

Thank you.

The International Costuming Convention is coming to Toronto Canada!
4 Days! 4 Masquerades! Dealers, Tours, Parties, Costuming Panels, Contests, Classes and Events. Costumes, Cosplay, Props, Doll Show & Competitons, Steampunk, Sci-fi, Fantasy, Big Fricken Trophies and so much more!
Get your membership today!
www.costumecon32.com
Kaijugal is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 06-21-2012, 08:58 PM   #2
Merino
Bucket Loli

It would be awesome to see some embroidery / beading programming.
Unread 06-22-2012, 08:22 PM   #3
RaDragon76
Outlaw Robin

I was going to suggest beading myself but it seems someone else beat me to it. Perhaps something dealing with accessorizing period and/or steampunk costumes. Maybe also some sort of introductory panel for people who don't know what CC is all about.

I'm looking forward to attending CC32.
Unread 06-25-2012, 10:21 AM   #4
supergeekgirl
Kawa Kon Chair

I think I'm already signed up to do a panel on audio editing.

I'd love to see a more advanced wig panel because most wig panels are pretty basic. I can't really teach that as I'm pretty basic myself.

How about something on how to pattern piece work? That's really friggin' tough. I have a TON of trouble with it.

And like I suggested for last year, a panel on how patterns work in general would be neat if taught by someone who designs patterns for a living (not sure who you'll have as guests yet).

Someone at this year's show asked if I might, in the future, present a panel on stage movement. I'm willing to do that, and I probably won't be attending Denver, so Toronto might be a good place. I'd make it more of a workshop than the stage movement panels I've seen in the past. We'd work on getting over the feeling that you look silly doing whatever you're doing on stage and practice playing to the audience.
Kawa Kon: Into Darkness in 2014!
supergeekgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-10-2012, 05:58 PM   #5
Northern
Master in the field

I would like to see some discussions on leatherworking and working with/modifying shoes

Anime North 2012
Friday: Toothless Hoodie
Saturday: Millitary Lolita
Sunday: Soubi- Loveless

youji_kudou_@hotmail.com
Northern is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-23-2012, 08:13 PM   #6
CapsuleCorp
Master level costumer

I normally just take everything I'm given at CC with happiness, but then I had a thought today while working.

I would LOVE to learn from someone with experience either drafting or interpreting patterns, sort of the basic ins and outs of commercial patterns - the terminology, the reasoning behind things like shaping, interfacing, ease, etc, and when/where it's safe to eliminate or change steps in the pattern. Like a lot of costumers I'm entirely self-taught, so I don't have any of the history of fashion and couture that designers and such might have, so there's some things I can't actually say I know a lot about. Like, for example, ease and why every single pattern includes sleeve cap ease whether you need it or not. I'd love a crash course in commercial patterns and what is/isn't necessary to know about them before using them. If not for myself, then for everyone else who actually needs that info and isn't merely curious like I am.

COMMISSIONS! Strange Land Costuming - www.strangelandcostumes.com

Director, SF&F Masquerade - COSTUMECON34 - Madison, Wisconsin - May 6-9, 2016 - www.costumecon34.com
CapsuleCorp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-26-2012, 09:09 AM   #7
supergeekgirl
Kawa Kon Chair

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapsuleCorp View Post
I normally just take everything I'm given at CC with happiness, but then I had a thought today while working.

I would LOVE to learn from someone with experience either drafting or interpreting patterns, sort of the basic ins and outs of commercial patterns - the terminology, the reasoning behind things like shaping, interfacing, ease, etc, and when/where it's safe to eliminate or change steps in the pattern. Like a lot of costumers I'm entirely self-taught, so I don't have any of the history of fashion and couture that designers and such might have, so there's some things I can't actually say I know a lot about. Like, for example, ease and why every single pattern includes sleeve cap ease whether you need it or not. I'd love a crash course in commercial patterns and what is/isn't necessary to know about them before using them. If not for myself, then for everyone else who actually needs that info and isn't merely curious like I am.
Ooh! I can totally be on that. I need to convince Steve to do it too because he's great with tailoring and understanding all of the "why"s. I'm not really self-taught. My grandma taught me the basics, and I learned the rest by reading books (in particular The Vogue Sewing Book; that thing's amazing!).
Kawa Kon: Into Darkness in 2014!
supergeekgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-30-2012, 10:06 PM   #8
Kaijugal
☆FibreFantasyArtist

Thank you for all the great suggestions guys and please keep them coming.

Cheers!
Your cruise director,
~K

4 Days! 4 Masquerades! Dealers, Tours, Parties, Costuming Panels, Contests, Classes and Events. Costumes, Cosplay, Props, Doll Show & Competitons, Steampunk, Sci-fi, Fantasy, Big Fricken Trophies and so much more!
www.costumecon32.com
Unread 08-02-2012, 08:48 PM   #9
trixyloupwolf
A LONELY kitty

i can offer paint on fabric workshop ( with pre reg if equal or over 5 would be good to host one ^^)

i love the judging pannel but i always miss it or has something else at same time
hope this time ill be abble to see it if its still there right^^

costume con why so secret lol!!!
contest i would love that
contest show night or something to be entertaining for the night after the maskerade and stuff ^^ i would love that haha!!!
hug!!!

crap costume contest with glue ( costume with left over fabric you did at animenorth would be fun but more complexe or more time to make no crappy costume but awsome one in a limited time ^^<3<3<3)

were no one is...there i should hide and awaite.....
http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c2...1_edited-2.jpg
http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c2...600x120-v4.jpg
trixyloupwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-04-2012, 02:36 PM   #10
dizzymonochrome
Sarah Charade

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapsuleCorp View Post

Seems a lot of self taught people don't understand ease. I didn't either before I decided to do fashion design in school. Has to do with the way the machine moves and feeds the fabric. Feed dogs pull the bottom layer, but presser foot wants to push the top layer. Ease helps keep both in place, especially on curves like sleeves.
I don't know how CC works because I've never been to one before, but I'd be willing to volunteer some time to be on panels about sewing technique and using commercial patterns. (I don't feel confident enough in my pattern drafting or block making skills, so I wouldn't do those) I don't have professional credentials, though, I'm just a student.

Costume design and fabrication
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/sector6labs

Tumblr: http://sector6labs.tumblr.com

Twitter: @sector6labs http://www.twitter.com/sector6labs
dizzymonochrome is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-11-2012, 07:57 PM   #11
CapsuleCorp
Master level costumer

dizzy, are you planning to be at CC32? I would love to hang out and meet you there! Who knows, maybe by then your student credentials will be just what you need to teach us self-taught folks how to handle our ease.

COMMISSIONS! Strange Land Costuming - www.strangelandcostumes.com

Director, SF&F Masquerade - COSTUMECON34 - Madison, Wisconsin - May 6-9, 2016 - www.costumecon34.com
CapsuleCorp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-13-2012, 09:15 PM   #12
trixyloupwolf
A LONELY kitty

ill be there too hope to see a lot of you there
right right ^^

were no one is...there i should hide and awaite.....
http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c2...1_edited-2.jpg
http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c2...600x120-v4.jpg
trixyloupwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-27-2012, 02:42 AM   #13
Kaijugal
☆FibreFantasyArtist

Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzymonochrome View Post
Seems a lot of self taught people don't understand ease. I didn't either before I decided to do fashion design in school. Has to do with the way the machine moves and feeds the fabric. Feed dogs pull the bottom layer, but presser foot wants to push the top layer. Ease helps keep both in place, especially on curves like sleeves.
I don't know how CC works because I've never been to one before, but I'd be willing to volunteer some time to be on panels about sewing technique and using commercial patterns. (I don't feel confident enough in my pattern drafting or block making skills, so I wouldn't do those) I don't have professional credentials, though, I'm just a student.
I would be amazingly excited if you would be willing to teach some sewing techniques, etc. There will be many first time Costume-Con attendees this year and I just know it would be very popular. I will try to follow up with you sooner rather than later.

P.S. I'm the Con-Chair.

www.costumecon32.com
Unread 12-03-2012, 02:36 AM   #14
VickyAmis
Banned

Wow,awesome!
VickyAmis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-11-2013, 12:56 PM   #15
Buddycat
Assistant ICG Archivist

I know I mentioned it verbally, Kaijugal, but I'd be willing to run "Bookercon 7", the judging simulation (and if you like, I can bring it to Anime North this year). A couple of other ideas I'm thinking of, selfishly, would take advantage of (hopefully) some crossover demographics we'll hopefully have there, at CC32.

A Cosplay Photography panel. I've been envious for years of the amazing photos taken of cosplayers on the Net. Granted, a lot of times it's just so a photographer can have the attention of a pretty girl, but our part of the costuming community deserves a little bit of that quality of photography. I'd like to see a panel of photographers share some of their tips so the rest of us "amateurs" who like to take pictures of costumes can do a better job of it.

Seems like there was some other idea I had, but it's slipped my mind at the moment. So, I'll throw this out there: Over the next year or so, I'll be putting a lot more content out on the ICG Archive Youtube Channel (http://www.youtube.com/user/ICGArchives/videos). One thing I want to branch out into is some lip-dub projects for either wrapping around some of them, or stand alone lip-dub music videos. I have one idea for a simple shoot I'd like to do at CC32. Once we're past CC31, I'll go into more detail. But if there's enough interest, I'll probably lay out the plans here on the forum first. Matter of fact, my first foray into a music video will hopefully get underway later this summer, and debut at CC32. We'll see how it goes.

https://www.youtube.com/user/ICGArchives

Also visit the International Costumers Gallery: http://www.costume.org/gallery2/main.php

Last edited by Buddycat : 03-11-2013 at 01:02 PM.
Buddycat is offline   Reply With Quote