Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay by Series/Genre > Video Games > Metal Gear

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 07-19-2012, 03:30 AM   #1
loadedpipes

First Time Cosplay

I have been a lurker for a long time and I have been to plenty of cons, but I have never actually cosplayed before. I have decided that I want to cosplay a character from MGS series, but I don't know which one to choose. I have difficulty choosing a character to do because, for one thing, I don't believe that I look like any of them. On top of that, I don't think that I have the skill to make most of the required items. I really want to make them myself, as I would be proud that I would have added a new skill to my aresenal, so to speak.

So I ask you, which character would you suggest?

PS- I'm a male.
loadedpipes is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 07-19-2012, 10:18 PM   #2
rj_sosongco
Rated R for Radical!

Welcome!

Choosing your first cosplay (or any cosplay, really) comes with a lot of things to take into account. Which character, what kind of skills/tools/materials you have, budget, what timeframe you have to work with, and finally, how bad you want to cosplay this character all come into play when deciding who to cosplay as. But overall, cosplay is about showing your appreciation of a series thru costume, so be sure it's someone you're dedicated to.

Looking like a character isn't a prerequisite, but it helps. However, don't let your looks stop you. Cosplay can cross race, body type, even gender borders. I'm a short Asian guy and I cosplayed as Raiden (twice!), with his light hair and Caucasian skin. I simply used a wig. I've even seen plenty of female Raidens, Snakes, Otacons, etc. With wigs, makeup, etc, you can cosplay any character you want to.

Skill comes with experience, and the only way you'll gain experience in crafting cosplay is to start doing it. Sometimes you'll fail; a costume pattern might be off, or you may mess up a prop. It's alright, each project adds to your knowledge so you can make it better next time. If you haven't worked with a technique, try it out and see if it works for you. Start with easier materials to work with, then gradually move up to harder or more advanced techniques as you become better. Because a lot of MGS cosplay consists of tactical/military gear and weapons, you can readily find places online that sell the components of your cosplay, if you can't make it yourself.

You haven't given us much by just saying you're male; we have no way of knowing who your favorite character is, what MGS games you've played, or who you want to cosplay as in the future. The forum is here to help you, but you gotta be willing to help yourself as well. If you want suggestions on a character based on your looks, send us a pic. Tell us what crafting experience you have, what tools or techniques you have at your disposal, and what budget or time frame you have to make your cosplay in. Or choose a character to commit to, and we can give you better insight on how to construct the components.
rj_sosongco is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-20-2012, 05:18 AM   #3
loadedpipes

Thanks for the welcome.

I have played all the games for the consoles (Metal Gear, Snake's Revenge, MGS, Sons of Liberty, Snake Eater, Guns of the Patriots). I can't post a picture at the moment, but I will edit with one, so you guys can get an idea of my build and see what my face looks like. As far as favorite character I would have to go with Gray Fox or Big Boss/Naked Snake.

As far as who I would want to cosplay in the future, there are numerous possibilities. I am into several video game series: Final Fantasy VII-X; Splinter Cell; Legend of Dragoon; Elder Scrolls games. I read/watch some manga/anime: Ruroni Kenshin; Naruto; Samurai Deeper Kyo; Cowboy Bebop; Ghost in the Shell movies.

As far as crafting experience goes, I don't have much. I have fixed cloths with a sewing machine, but I haven't made a whole peice of clothing from scratch. I like to paint and build models like Warhammer, if that counts. I have typical garage tools: screwdrivers, drills, sockets, wrenches, mouse sander, pliers, etc. I have extremely basic sewing skills, but other than that, I'm pretty inexperienced.

Timeframe would be to have it read for next years Connecticon and Otakon. I am deployed to a undisclosed location in southwest Asia, though. I can designing and thnking now, but I would be able to start building until about December time frame.

My budget is fairly loose, but I on't want to go crazy. I think that the max I am willing to spend is $400.

I would love to do Gray Fox, though I just think that it may be too complicated to get done in that timeframe, especially the helmet. I think that it may be too challenging for someone of my experience level. I appreciate all the help.
Unread 07-20-2012, 02:28 PM   #4
supergeekgirl
Kawa Kon Chair

Quote:
Originally Posted by loadedpipes View Post
Thanks for the welcome.

I have played all the games for the consoles (Metal Gear, Snake's Revenge, MGS, Sons of Liberty, Snake Eater, Guns of the Patriots). I can't post a picture at the moment, but I will edit with one, so you guys can get an idea of my build and see what my face looks like. As far as favorite character I would have to go with Gray Fox or Big Boss/Naked Snake.
A good portion of people pick Big Boss as a first-time cosplay because it 1.) teaches you how to do research (finding out what all the pieces are and how to wear them properly) and 2.) is pretty easy and relatively cheap. There are templates for the switch box and links in the MGS cosplay thread to pretty much every piece of the costume.

But there are a lot of Big Bosses out there, so perhaps you want to try Gray Fox. I, personally, wouldn't recommend the Cyborg Ninja version for a first-time cosplay, but Gray Fox from MG would be a good choice. You don't see him a lot, and if you went to an MGS meetup, you'd be recognized for sure!

MGS costumes are generally either very easy or very difficult with little in-between. I'm always impressed by a good costume that looks simple but is actually difficult. Liquid Snake is a good example. It's hard to pull him off, but when people do, it's fantastic!
Kawa Kon: Into Darkness in 2014!
supergeekgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-27-2012, 07:49 AM   #5
loadedpipes

I really like Big Boss/Naked Snake, and it would be easy. I know how to wear most of the uniform already, but I will pay special attention to detail. I really want to do Cyborg Ninja, but I do agree that the cosplay would be too hard though. I appreciate the direction that you guys have pointed out to me. The Frank idea is a good one too, I think that I would really enjoy that as well. I think though that I will go with Naked Snake, seeing as I can't grow facial hair like Big Boss.