Go Back   Cosplay.com > US Convention Forums > Dragon*Con

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 07-24-2012, 12:21 PM   #1
~Megi

Whedon Universe Costume Contest and Photoshoot

Have you been working hard on a Joss Whedon inspired costume? Got plans to cosplay as your favorite Slayer, Browncoat, or Avenger? Join the Whedon Universe Track for our annual costume contest and photoshoot.

The contest is currently scheduled for Sunday at 4:00 PM, followed immediately by the photo shoot with our track photographer (5:30ish). You can come for one or for both, everyone is welcome!

This years contest categories are the best of: the Buffyverse, Firefly/Serenity, Dr. Horrible, and the Avengers!

We're also looking for a few contest judges! Feel free to message me if you want to help out! (http://www.facebook.com/pages/Whedon...35458403136510)

~Megi
Whedon Universe Staff
~Megi is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 07-25-2012, 04:58 PM   #2
supergeekgirl
Kawa Kon Chair

I'm considering entering.

That means wearing the costume twice, but I may just have to do it.
Kawa Kon: Into Darkness in 2014!
supergeekgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-26-2012, 07:09 PM   #3
threestories

Oh, what a shame. I have an awesome Firefly cosplay group going, but the costume I worked hardest on is for Once Upon a Time, and they're having their meetup at the same time.
Mother Superior (Once Upon a Time)

DragonCon 2014:
Femme!Riddler (DC Comics, original design)
Xena (Xena: Warrior Princess)
Mystique (X-Men Comics)
New Caprica Three/D'Anna Biers (Battlestar Galactica)
threestories is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-26-2012, 08:22 PM   #4
sunnydale_pet

Quote:
Originally Posted by threestories View Post
but the costume I worked hardest on is for Once Upon a Time, and they're having their meetup at the same time.
Ditto.
sunnydale_pet is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-27-2012, 03:55 PM   #5
Katala

Yeah bad timing as three photoshoots are going on that time.

Costumes:
  • Finished: She-Ra, Hathor (SG-1), G-Girl (My Super Ex-Girlfriend), Circe (or Leta), Miaka (Fushigi Yuugi), Scarlet Witch, Inara with crossbow prop (Serenity), Hermione's Red Dress (HP7), Lady Catelyn Stark (GOT), Electra, Baroness, Newmar Catwoman, Sha're (SG-1), Ceremonial Leia, Fiona and Lessa (Pern), Romana I, Prof. McGonagall (HP)
  • My service dog, Cinder is wearing: K.9. (Dr. Who), Gold Dragon Weyrling (PERN), and Gryffindor.
Katala is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-27-2012, 04:01 PM   #6
supergeekgirl
Kawa Kon Chair

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katala View Post
Yeah bad timing as three photoshoots are going on that time.
I'm skipping out on pretty much all photoshoots this year because I did pretty much all shoots last year.

So is this time completely set? I looked on their page, and it still said "tentatively".
Unread 07-27-2012, 11:27 PM   #7
threestories

Maybe someone can let them know that three major photoshoots and fandom meetups are already set for that time, in the possible hope that they pick another time? No?
Mother Superior (Once Upon a Time)

DragonCon 2014:
Femme!Riddler (DC Comics, original design)
Xena (Xena: Warrior Princess)
Mystique (X-Men Comics)
New Caprica Three/D'Anna Biers (Battlestar Galactica)
threestories is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-28-2012, 11:21 PM   #8
Katala

Did. They aren't. So wearing Cordelia under Cat Stark - should be interesting

Costumes:
  • Finished: She-Ra, Hathor (SG-1), G-Girl (My Super Ex-Girlfriend), Circe (or Leta), Miaka (Fushigi Yuugi), Scarlet Witch, Inara with crossbow prop (Serenity), Hermione's Red Dress (HP7), Lady Catelyn Stark (GOT), Electra, Baroness, Newmar Catwoman, Sha're (SG-1), Ceremonial Leia, Fiona and Lessa (Pern), Romana I, Prof. McGonagall (HP)
  • My service dog, Cinder is wearing: K.9. (Dr. Who), Gold Dragon Weyrling (PERN), and Gryffindor.
Unread 08-01-2012, 08:57 PM   #9
Gale
All the world's a stage

I'd love to enter, but my Kaylee jumpsuit is altered, not totally handmade. I put a lot of effort into the structure altering, distressing and making the patches just right tho...so maybe?

Places you may find me in 2013:
Katsucon ~ ConBust ~ Anime Boston
PortCon Maine ~ ConnectiCon ~ Dragon*Con
Gale is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-02-2012, 04:11 PM   #10
supergeekgirl
Kawa Kon Chair

I wouldn't expect a track to change its programming for photoshoots unless they are shoots organized by the con itself. Because this is Dragon*Con, there will inevitably be six things you want to do at a given moment. I'm choosing to do the contest this year since I've made a costume specifically for the contest. That's my priority, and everything else will have to fall by the wayside.

Does anyone know where we can find the rules? I did make about 95% of it myself (everything but the undershirt, which was modified, and the boots, which have custom laces), but I want to see the rules on interpretations and crossovers.
Unread 08-02-2012, 11:36 PM   #11
Katala

I figure on doing Cordy and have to make everything but the pantries but no one sees those

Costumes:
Unread 08-05-2012, 10:41 AM   #12
Roseathorn

This is great, I was planning on wearing my River Cosplay on Sunday. I probably won't enter the contest but I'll deffinately be there for the photo shoot!

Hit Girl from Kick Ass
Sofie Hatter from Howl's moving Castle
Jinora (airbender uniform) from Legend of Korra
Tohru Honda (school uniform) from Fruits Basket
Danielle De Barbarac (green court gown) from Ever After
Ty Lee (circus outfit) from Avater the Last Airbender
Roseathorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-07-2012, 01:10 PM   #13
~Megi

Sorry it took so long to get back to you all on the questions, but I'm sure you know how insanely busy we all get this time of year!
The schedule for the contest and the shoot are not likely to change unless we are required to to be able to fit in something with one of our celebrity guests. As of now that hasn't happened, but we get some of those updates at the last minute just like the rest of you a lot of times!
As for the rules for the contest, there aren't really a lot. It needs to be something from a Joss Whedon show/movie/etc. (sorry, Jed, Zack, and Mo's stuff won't count!) and it shouldn't be completely pre-fab. If you show up wearing the Halloween Express version of Thor, you could still enter if you wanted to, but I wouldn't be expecting any prizes I always make sure our judges have costuming experience themselves and while over all appearance is the main criteria they judge by, there have been many instances that the final tie breaker between two costumes comes down to them looking at the fine details and taking things like screen accuracy and skill into account. You guys always impress us and I'm sure you'll continue to this year!
Unread 08-08-2012, 11:37 PM   #14
scifigeek47
Behind the camera

Hello everyone! I'm the track photographer for the Whedon Universe track, and as Megi mentioned I will once again be taking photos of all of the contestants after they have appeared in front of the judges and the audience. I will also be taking photos for an extra hour after the contest for anyone who would like a photo but does not want to compete.

You can visit http://www.scifigeek.info/convention...ostumeContest/ for last year's contest photos. The non-contest photos are available at http://www.scifigeek.info/convention...ntestCostumes/ . I'll update this thread with the link to the 2012 photos once they have been edited and uploaded.

The Whedon Universe track has traditionally had a great turnout for cosplayers, so I hope to see a whole acre of you at the contest and photoshoot!
My convention photos are available on my website at www.scifigeek.info. If you find a picture of yourself, feel free to add it to your own Cosplay.com profile. All I ask is that you credit www.scifigeek.info and send me a PM to let me know.
scifigeek47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-08-2012, 11:47 PM   #15
~Megi

Thanks Steve! We always appreciate the hard work and the awesome photography!