Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > Masquerade / Skit Discussion

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 6 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 07-29-2012, 01:40 PM   #1
NeonGenki
Wait A Macaroni Minute...

Getting ready to go on stage

I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this, and I'm sorry if its not but...

I'll be doing my first craftsmanship competition and I'm deathly terrified being on stage. I'm really wanting to do this cause I'm proud of my cosplay and I think it'll help me get a bit more comfortable being on stage.
Right before I go on stage I always get a bad stomach ache, but I don't think i'll be as nervous since no one can see my face (I'm going as Petey Piranha) but I'll still get all shaky, so I would be very thankful for some tips people had for preparing to go on stage
NeonGenki is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 07-29-2012, 01:50 PM   #2
x-Steffi-x
UK Cosplayer...x

I'll be entering the masquerade in my next con, not sure whether it'll be a performance or walk on (walk-on would then give you the option to be pre-judged which I want). I'd probably feel very sick and nervous (therefore shaky) when going on stage.
I'll plan on bringing a bottle of water with me and distracting myself up until that point. When you do go on stage, don't look at the audience or judges. Just focus on the professional camera people right in the front to make sure you're doing good poses!

Most of all, don't think about it too much, just go with the flow.
Usagi Tsukino (School Uniform) - Sailor Moon
Sailor Cosmos - Sailor Moon Sailor Stars
Bubbles - Powerpuff Girls Z

x-Steffi-x is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-29-2012, 03:00 PM   #3
Spiritwalker
Green (without envy)

You can still get very nervous even if people can't see your face, but you are right it's usually not as bad.

The only think I can definitely think of is to remember to breathe. It sounds kind of lame to say so, but the more often you go on stage, the easier it will be. It does help to think that most of the time people are very supportive and happy to see you and are going to cheer for you, and doubly so because it's true.

Alter Egos:
Orc Warlock (WoW) 85% (revamping certain parts for 2013)
Tuxedo Mask (Sailor Moon) 100% (pics up soon)
James (Team Rocket) 100% (pics up soon)
Orc Shaman (WoW) 75% (revamping process)

Far Future/Dream Alter Egos:
Draenei Paladin (WoW)
Worgen Druid (WoW)
Galio (LoL)
and one more...
Spiritwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-29-2012, 05:31 PM   #4
nyokun
Difficult? I'll do it!

Chew gum or candy if you can get away with it. Something with ginger in it could certainly help the stomach (candied ginger is pretty good for that).

Since you're face won't be showing, make faces at the audience, it'll lighten you up.

If its Good and Cheap, it wont be Fast
If its Fast and Cheap, it wont be Good
If its Fast and Good it wont be Cheap
nyokun is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-30-2012, 01:48 PM   #5
dizzymonochrome
Sarah Charade

I know how you feel. I hate even doing walk ons. I don't like being on a stage or under a spotlight. Posing for pictures in the hallway or parking lot is one thing, actually being in front of an audience is so entirely different. I just try not to rush it. Kind of walk like you're in a wedding party going down the aisle, so everyone can see your costume for the few seconds it takes to walk across the stage. You don't have to look at people, just try to focus on the judges. You probably won't be able to see the audience much anyway, with something on your head plus the bright stage lights.

Costume design and fabrication
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/sector6labs

Tumblr: http://sector6labs.tumblr.com

Twitter: @sector6labs http://www.twitter.com/sector6labs
dizzymonochrome is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-30-2012, 02:56 PM   #6
Amanita

Yeah, don't rush things. A friend of mine who was in the masquerade audience complained afterward that so many cosplayers rushed on and off stage that she really didn't get a good look at everyone's costumes- too many of them were just a blur, not even there long enough to take a good picture of.
Amanita is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-30-2012, 03:16 PM   #7
Sakeman
Touring Wonka's Factory

If you're just going to be showing off your costume, plan it out in your head before you go out there. Take a look at the stage and pick 2 or 3 spots where you want to pose. Then go about it really business like. Walk to your spot, hit your pose for 5 seconds, then walk to the next spot. I've always found that focusing on hitting your spots helps to control your nerves. Don't even pay attention to the people.

However, you shouldn't worry about the crowd too much..from my experience the people who go to the cosplay competitions are genuinely the nicest people at the cons. There are a lot of the cosplayers friends and family out there in the audience and they're really nice to everybody who goes up there.... okay, I'm not promising there won't be a couple of d-bags out there also, but there usually aren't many. Good luck!

"There are no mistakes, just happy accidents." - Bob Ross

Visit our page =D : https://www.facebook.com/SsCosplay
Sakeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-30-2012, 04:50 PM   #8
ChocoboxDreamer
Master Derper

I know the feeling! When I entered my first costume contest, I was so nervous (especially after I found out that I was first out!) but just try to relax and focus on what poses you're planning to do. Oh and as previously mentioned, don't get off the stage too quick! Allow some time for pictures... just go with the flow and strut 'yo stuff!
Tutankhamun - Eiyuu Senki (0% complete)

The Untold Stories of a Dreamer
Ethereal Whisper Photography
ChocoboxDreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-31-2012, 12:23 AM   #9
tereshkova2001

Make sure that you've eaten fairly recently, so blood sugar isn't a problem.
Practice whatever you're going to do, even if it's just walking across the stage. Try to get into your character's mindset so you move like them and you have their attitude. I might be nervous about going on stage, but the princess, senator, or crown prince I'm pretending to be is going to own that space with no hesitation.
When you actually walk out there, remember how proud you are of your work and how much you want people to see and appreciate it. Slow down--what will feel like an eternity to you is five seconds to the audience, who can't see anything in that time. Breathe, and just before you exit, stop for a moment and listen to the applause. They really like you. Promise.
tereshkova2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-31-2012, 02:35 PM   #10
Ends Beginning
Onward Comrades!

I can't agree more with the people who said to make sure you've eaten, have water to drink and to breath. I've been in so many stage events and not just masqurades at conventions that it is all second nature to me now. Just remember that at a convention everyone out there is just like you and they understand it even if they have no clue what your from or who you are. Good luck! ^-^

Oh Captain, My Captain...RIP RW 8/11/14

2014 Convention Schedule-
ConnectiCon -Hartford CT July 11-13
Another Anime Con - Manchester NH October 17-19

~Cosplay 2014 Progress~
Jean!WoC -Attack on Titan 100% done!
Washu Hakubi - Tenchi Muyo! 100% done!
Motoko Kusanagi - GitS 0% (planning stages)
Ends Beginning is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-31-2012, 03:59 PM   #11
Ali
Nearsighted Avenger

rehearse. even if you're just doing a walk-on and posing, rehearse. practice some poses in the mirror at home until they become relatively second nature, and see if you can get on the stage before the masq to practice hitting your marks there.
I'm sometimes prone to a little stage fright, but I've found that rehearsing to the point where I can just do my act automatically helps a whole lot. then my head can just take a backseat while I'm onstage.
Unread 07-31-2012, 04:05 PM   #12
ichigo_m.
Eli Ebberts

Being an Actress I've had to over come stage fright I found it easy by not only drinking water and eating and resting and everything else that they've said but really pause and think about it. Who in that audience is really gonna care if you trip or make a bad pose or something. They won't! It'll be forgotten before the contest is over! Not to mention pretty much everyone at anime cons are complete dorks! So go ahead and make a fool of yourself, people will love it! Just worry about yourself, no one else matters.

and most of all HAVE FUN! DDDD