Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Cosplay Tutorials

Reply
Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 57 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 05-26-2012, 11:08 AM   #91
Talossa
We try hardcore!
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 337
There's a couple things you might try.

I googled 'bra for a plunging neckline' and there were quite a few results that came up, so you might want to give those a look. They also make stick-on bras, but I've never used one so I have no idea how well that would work.

If nothing else worked, I'd try making the bodice as supportive as possible, and using fashion tape to make sure you don't have any wardrobe malfunctions - but that might not be feasible depending on how much support you need.
Talossa is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Unread 07-22-2012, 06:18 AM   #92
wisetaner
Full of enthusiasm
 
wisetaner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 197
The list was great, although I didn't come across (at least I don't think I did) any ninja costume tutorials. Does anyone know if one exists, pattern or otherwise, for making a ninja costume...preferably in the style of Mortal Kombat's Sub-Zero?

I have been looking all around and I've found a couple examples for the mask, but not very much for the costume overall.
__________________
[center][u]Sub-Zero for Youmacon 2012-60%

https://www.facebook.com/mike.strasko
wisetaner is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-22-2012, 09:47 PM   #93
jambreaker
Narrator for Bad Mimes
 
jambreaker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 745
Quote:
Originally Posted by wisetaner View Post
The list was great, although I didn't come across (at least I don't think I did) any ninja costume tutorials. Does anyone know if one exists, pattern or otherwise, for making a ninja costume...preferably in the style of Mortal Kombat's Sub-Zero?

I have been looking all around and I've found a couple examples for the mask, but not very much for the costume overall.
Could be kimono with the chest piece added on, and the mask has a long 'tail' that tucks in all around the collar and fills in all the space?
__________________
That thing just put a hole in my kekkai!!!
jambreaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-25-2012, 12:54 AM   #94
Pendant
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 40
I think this tutorial would be a good addition. I'm not sure which of the stickies it'd fit in, and this looked like the best bet. ^ ^;;
Pendant is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-02-2012, 09:03 AM   #95
wisetaner
Full of enthusiasm
 
wisetaner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 197
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambreaker View Post
Could be kimono with the chest piece added on, and the mask has a long 'tail' that tucks in all around the collar and fills in all the space?
Thanks for the info, I hadn't really considered a kimono as a ninja MK chest piece. I suppose that could work.

This is similar to what I'm really hoping to make it look like. http://youtu.be/2J3dhwVxz-Q
__________________
[center][u]Sub-Zero for Youmacon 2012-60%

https://www.facebook.com/mike.strasko
wisetaner is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-02-2012, 09:54 PM   #96
jambreaker
Narrator for Bad Mimes
 
jambreaker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 745
Quote:
Originally Posted by wisetaner View Post
Thanks for the info, I hadn't really considered a kimono as a ninja MK chest piece. I suppose that could work.

This is similar to what I'm really hoping to make it look like. http://youtu.be/2J3dhwVxz-Q
Very cool tutorial -- looks like a black 'base' suit with all the parts on over it -- kimono could add a bit of interest up close compared to a generic black T-shirt & trousers or jumpsuit, especially with Japanese-style ninjas ;-)
__________________
That thing just put a hole in my kekkai!!!
jambreaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-04-2012, 08:06 PM   #97
martinquesnel
Tight & Shiny
 
martinquesnel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 8
I would add catsuits: www.catsuitpatterns.com

This is a new site that just launched selling professional catsuit patterns.
__________________
Keep it Tight and shiny
martinquesnel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-01-2012, 01:26 PM   #98
wisetaner
Full of enthusiasm
 
wisetaner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 197
I've looked through all the "Kimono" links but I can't find anything that looks like a martial arts style upper body garment that also cover the pelvic area down the center. I googled Tunic as well as and I see images of what I'm looking for, but just not any tutorials on how to make them.

I could still really use help with this.
__________________
[center][u]Sub-Zero for Youmacon 2012-60%

https://www.facebook.com/mike.strasko
wisetaner is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-01-2012, 08:00 PM   #99
jambreaker
Narrator for Bad Mimes
 
jambreaker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 745
Quote:
Originally Posted by wisetaner View Post
I've looked through all the "Kimono" links but I can't find anything that looks like a martial arts style upper body garment that also cover the pelvic area down the center. I googled Tunic as well as and I see images of what I'm looking for, but just not any tutorials on how to make them.

I could still really use help with this.
There's the Hapi (often worn by merchants and at festivals) -- Taiko drummers sometimes wear them as a uniform as well -- other than a Gi I can't visualize much else.
__________________
That thing just put a hole in my kekkai!!!
jambreaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-01-2012, 01:41 AM   #100
ichi903
Registered User
 
ichi903's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 3
So I have a few items to share!!
I did tutorials on:
-a frilly pettiskirt here: http://sewchibi.blogspot.com/2012/02...-tutorial.html
-a mini top hat here: http://sewchibi.blogspot.com/2012/05...-mini-top.html
-a super easy, adjustable, and customizable headband here: http://sewchibi.blogspot.com/2012/04...s-clovers.html
-and Rainbow Dash inspired dress with cascading ruffle "tail" and wings added to a bodice here:
http://sewchibi.blogspot.com/2012/09...ng-ruffle.html

I constantly add new things to my blog: sewchibi.blogspot.com >._.<

Hope this helps!!
ichi903 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-06-2012, 11:51 AM   #101
dizzymonochrome
Sarah Charade
 
dizzymonochrome's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 947
FYI some links are dead. The link for fly zipper tutorial redirects to the homepage of diynetwork. May need to check other specific tutorial external links in the list.
__________________
Sector 6 Laboratories

Costume design and fabrication
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/sector6labs

Tumblr: http://sector6labs.tumblr.com

Twitter: @sector6labs http://www.twitter.com/sector6labs
dizzymonochrome is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-03-2012, 11:43 AM   #102
Kawaii Pocky
I a shower, not a grower!
 
Kawaii Pocky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 1,130
I don't think what I was looking for on here was here, but I wanted to know, and I haven't looked for the pattern yet but I'm sure it's an easily findable one. But I just wanted to know... I'm going to be crossplaying so I'm not going to make or alter any of the pieces for it until I get my compression shirt so I can get those measurements. But I'm going to make the vest for my character and buy all the other pieces of clothing and alter them as need be. Since I want a masculine "body shape" I should buy men's clothes right? I mean I know it sounds like common sense but I had some friends telling me I should wear what's comfortable.

I know definitely if I get men's slacks I'm going to have to hem the bottom of the pants because I'm short. I have that issue with girl's pants too. XD But I was going to look up a pattern for a simple men's vest because I think that's the only part of the costume I'm going to make myself. Any way, I just wanted some advice. I wanted to pick up fabric and all that but I can't do any thing until I get my compression shirt because I'll need the measurements after the compression.

Link to my character, Akihiko from Persona 3. My first crossplay. X3

http://static.zerochan.net/Sanada.Ak...ull.325274.jpg
__________________
2013 Planned Anime Cons:
Shutocon
Youmacon
Planned Cosplays 2013:
C.C. - Code Geass (100%)
Akihiko Sanada - Persona 3 (100%)
Lolita - (100%)
Yukiko Alt Color - Persona 3/Persona 4 Arena (planned)
Catherine - Catherine (planned)
Sebastian - Black Butler (planned)
Shiro Lolita - (planned)
Kawaii Pocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-22-2012, 04:41 PM   #103
PixiePopNixie
Nixie The Pixie
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kawaii Pocky View Post
I don't think what I was looking for on here was here, but I wanted to know, and I haven't looked for the pattern yet but I'm sure it's an easily findable one. But I just wanted to know... I'm going to be crossplaying so I'm not going to make or alter any of the pieces for it until I get my compression shirt so I can get those measurements. But I'm going to make the vest for my character and buy all the other pieces of clothing and alter them as need be. Since I want a masculine "body shape" I should buy men's clothes right? I mean I know it sounds like common sense but I had some friends telling me I should wear what's comfortable.

I know definitely if I get men's slacks I'm going to have to hem the bottom of the pants because I'm short. I have that issue with girl's pants too. XD But I was going to look up a pattern for a simple men's vest because I think that's the only part of the costume I'm going to make myself. Any way, I just wanted some advice. I wanted to pick up fabric and all that but I can't do any thing until I get my compression shirt because I'll need the measurements after the compression.

Link to my character, Akihiko from Persona 3. My first crossplay. X3

http://static.zerochan.net/Sanada.Ak...ull.325274.jpg
http://www.shatterheart.net/games/pe...-underwear.jpg Zerochan doesn't allow hot linking, so I re-did ;p

You should go with men clothes not because of the shape (although it helps) but because of the fastenings. Men's clothing does up on the opposite side of women's, so for the sake of accuracy it would be best.

The glory of men's clothes is that it comes in waist and leg measurements. If you're short short, then try looking in the boys section. I mean, if you know anywhere that does school uniforms (I know there aren't too many in the states) then that would be the best place to go. Also, men clothes are super comfortable and actually the cheap stuff often fit a lot better than the cheap equivalent of the female stuff (this is because guys don't spend as much on clothes, so their good quality stuff is a lot less than ours).

Vest wise, I'd adapt a waist coat pattern - http://www.simplicity.com/p-5254-mens-vests.aspx would be a good one.

Compressing wise, depending on how en-dowered you are, you can just use a sports bra (if you're less than a B). Also, you can go by the measurement of the band of your bra - if you're 38" under your bust, for example, you'll be just a couple of inches bigger. A tight elasticated vest will also do the job (has to be elasticated, otherwise breathing can be an issue!).

Fabric wise; for accuracy, a wool mix would be your best bet. However, for it to be cheaper you can use poly cottons and use interfacing to thicken it.
PixiePopNixie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-16-2013, 03:37 AM   #104
Miizku
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 5
So I got interested in cosplay when a couple of friends did it, and now i already have trouble. So I've been doing for first noob saibot costume from mortal kombat, but the mask does not seem to succeed. Is there any other way to make an easy mask, except for papercraft, or whether you would have something easy beginner's cosplay ideas (for example, im interested in all kinds of skeletons and death causing monsters and a little creepyer or cyberpunk type of characters)

I'll post some questions about the future costumes. Also can you "MOD" your cosplay? For example make a Noob Saibot mask, paint it white, buy white cargo pants, white sleevles hoodie and a pair of white contact lenses to make a cool "Street League" Noob Saibot.
Miizku is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-17-2013, 11:27 AM   #105
Ororo Monroe
Head Goddess In Charge
 
Ororo Monroe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 796
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miizku View Post
So I got interested in cosplay when a couple of friends did it, and now i already have trouble. So I've been doing for first noob saibot costume from mortal kombat, but the mask does not seem to succeed. Is there any other way to make an easy mask, except for papercraft, or whether you would have something easy beginner's cosplay ideas (for example, im interested in all kinds of skeletons and death causing monsters and a little creepyer or cyberpunk type of characters)

I'll post some questions about the future costumes. Also can you "MOD" your cosplay? For example make a Noob Saibot mask, paint it white, buy white cargo pants, white sleevles hoodie and a pair of white contact lenses to make a cool "Street League" Noob Saibot.
Try looking in the tutorial link and do you have a picture?
__________________
Women and cats will do as they please. Men and dogs had better get used to it.
Robert Heinlein
Ororo Monroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:06 PM.


Copyright 2002-2013 Cosplay.com, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
All comments and posts in our forums are the opinion of the respective poster.