Go Back   Cosplay.com > Non-Cosplay Forums > Anime Chat

Unread 07-28-2012, 04:32 PM   #16
ShadowDrac
Sky Pirate

The Sacred Blacksmith.

Beside FMA: Brotherhood, it is the only anime I have ever been able to sit through and watch from start to finish and enjoy (I'm not really a big anime fan -shot-). It doesn't seem to be well known, but it's very good, in my opinion.

Unread 07-31-2012, 09:30 PM   #17
wisetaner
Full of enthusiasm

Ok, Tiger and Bunny done...pretty good show overall.

Now watching the Full Metal Alchemist and woooah it's intense and awesome!!

https://www.facebook.com/mike.strasko
wisetaner is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-03-2012, 12:33 AM   #18
wisetaner
Full of enthusiasm

::sigh:: What is it about some of these anime's, with both "Tiger and Bunny" and Full Metal, there are times when the shows are amazing and inteligent. Then other times when the characters do a 180 and let the obvious slip right through.

Oddly I can't stop watching them regardless. ;-p

Unread 08-03-2012, 09:20 AM   #19
fujyoshi
half elf flame haze

How about throwing some fresh meat to the thread, wanna give accel world and sword art online a crack?
Manjoume Jun - Yu-Gi-Oh GX
fujyoshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-03-2012, 11:24 AM   #20
Adorima

Quote:
Originally Posted by fujyoshi View Post
How about throwing some fresh meat to the thread, wanna give accel world and sword art online a crack?
No. No to watching any of the other shows next other than Gungrave. Pinkie promise wisetaner?...

+*+*+

NDK 2012/13:
Yori Wakaba - Vampire Knight 25%
Wang Yao (China) - Axis Powers Hetalia
Adorima is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-03-2012, 12:15 PM   #21
Lithium Flower
Handphones

Films:
Metropolis
Perfect Blue
Steam Boy
Studio Ghibli anyfuckingthing
Strong World (One Piece)

Series:
Lupin the Third
Tenchi Muyo
Rurouni Kenshin
One Piece (If you have 500 years to watch the whole damn series)
Umineko no naku Koro ni
Paranoia Agent
Ghost Stories american dub; the American redubbing is hilarious. In Japan this show flopped and was an enormous fuckup. When the American studio got the rights to the show they turned it into an hilarious parody. Seriously it's great stuff.
Azumanga Daioh
Nichijou
Spin City; as far as i know this is the name of the series. But I can't find any information on it anywhere. It's involving two high school aged friends who start working at a maid cafe with wacky hijinks following.
Sailor Moon
Hellsing

A bunch more I can't think of.
◆○◆○◆○◆○◆○
Tumblr silliness.

◆○◆○◆○◆○◆○
Deviantart of more super silliness

Lithium Flower is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-04-2012, 04:11 AM   #22
wisetaner
Full of enthusiasm

Finally finished watching Full Metal Alchemist and the two movies related to it, I nearly stopped watching the episodes three from the end. As Al was acting like a complete fool, but by the final episode it all completed nicely. Not to mention the ending movie.

The Brotherhood version is apparently a completely separate series, I couldn't watch it as it uses all the same characters. Even the characters who were killed off in the first one are in Brotherhood, yet it didn't seem to relate to the first series at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adorima View Post
No. No to watching any of the other shows next other than Gungrave. Pinkie promise wisetaner?...
::chuckles:: I'll get to Gungrave, Adorima! There are so many different Anime series here that have been suggested, I'm trying to go in some sort of order of when they were suggested.

It took me a few days along with class projects to get through Full Metal. I also tried Durarara and Reborn, but Durara...for some reason it made my skin crawl. (no offense to those who like it) As for Reborn, I didn't care for the way a six month old (or how ever old the child was) was shooting people, causing them to essentially go insane. Then back to normal and everyone acting as though practically nothing had happened out of the ordinary.

Next up is Ghost Hunt, then Ergo Proxy. But don't worry Adorima, I'll get to Gungrave...it might take a little while as there are a lot of recommendations here to go through. But I'll get to it.

I do have a question, why is it in half these anime's, the animations of the characters tend to act so ridiculously goofy? What I mean is back when I watched the Ghost in the Shell series and movies, there was seriousness to the show but they still cracked jokes and made witty comments.

Where as with Tiger and Bunny, and especially with Full Metal, when ever they're showing the different emotions. It's as if they think their audience is full of...well, special needs kids I guess (I hope that comment doesn't offend anyone), because of the excessive overly dramatized use of animation to point out the various emotions.

Don't get me wrong, the shows were really good, after all I watched all 54 episodes of Full Metal within a few days time. But still I often felt as though the show was trying way to hard to make the show silly.

Anyway, I was just curious. I still definitely like anime's that hasn't changed, I just don't understand the excessive use of animations to indicate the various moods and emotions.

Last edited by wisetaner : 08-04-2012 at 05:12 AM.
Unread 08-04-2012, 04:59 AM   #23
Viveeh
necrocarnival

Omg, watch the Witchblade anime, it's the most epic thing I've ever seen.
Viveeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-04-2012, 05:24 AM   #24
wisetaner
Full of enthusiasm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viveeh View Post
Omg, watch the Witchblade anime, it's the most epic thing I've ever seen.
Thank you Viveeh, I'll put that on the list! ;-)

As for Ghost Hunt, couldn't find that on a quick search so I jumped temporarily to Ergo Proxy and it amazed me by how much of a Matrix quality it has. I'm still trying to figure it out, but the animations are so far really life-like. Also it seems oddly moody and dark, and at the most unusual moments the main character makes light-hearted rebellious wise-cracking comments. ::chuckles:: I love it when they do that! Especially when things were getting really tense only moments before.

Unread 08-04-2012, 05:37 AM   #25
celiaorirene
Banned

Love one piece!
celiaorirene is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-04-2012, 06:47 AM   #26
Engaru

I recommend Blue Exorcist, Macross Frontier and Summer Wars.

Done cosplays:
Choji Akimichi (Naruto)~90 %
Itachi Uchiha (Naruto)~100%
Magnet Luka Megurine (Vocaloid)~100%
Takiko Okuda (Fushigi Yuugi Genbu Kaiden)~100%

Work In Progress:
Aqua (Kingdom Hearts Birth by Sleep)~22 %
Snow White (Disney)~5 %

Planned cosplays:
Korra (The Legend of Korra)
Gumi (Vocaloid)
Esmeralda (The Hunchback of Notre Dame)
Kagura (Inuyasha)
Engaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-04-2012, 01:26 PM   #27
Neelh
Toa of Psionics

Brotherhood is a remake of the first series, because I think the original ended before the manga and deviated from the plot often. Brotherhood is truer to the manga.

Also, anime is usually meant to be funny and witty; especially in the dubs.

I reccomend Angel Beats if you like emotional stuff as well.

nokama.tumblr.com
Neelh is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-04-2012, 08:19 PM   #28
wisetaner
Full of enthusiasm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neelh View Post
Brotherhood is a remake of the first series, because I think the original ended before the manga and deviated from the plot often. Brotherhood is truer to the manga.

Also, anime is usually meant to be funny and witty; especially in the dubs.
Hmm...interesting! Well, in time perhaps I'll give Brotherhood another try. Oh and thank you for the explanation about Manga's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neelh View Post
I reccomend Angel Beats if you like emotional stuff as well.
I do like the "emotional stuff", well depends on the type of emotions!

Also I'm really enjoying Ergo Proxy, I'm about half way through the series and it is quickly becoming one of my favorite anime's. Up there with Ghost in the Shell. Plus Re-L Mayor has an amazing gothic beauty to her, that I find oddly appealing.

Last edited by wisetaner : 08-04-2012 at 08:25 PM.
Unread 08-04-2012, 11:16 PM   #29
Adorima

Quote:
Originally Posted by wisetaner View Post
::chuckles:: I'll get to Gungrave, Adorima! There are so many different Anime series here that have been suggested, I'm trying to go in some sort of order of when they were suggested.
Now's not the time to be fair!!! Now's the time to mow over other people's wishes and skip to the really good ones!!! ;P

Quote:
It took me a few days along with class projects to get through Full Metal. I also tried Durarara and Reborn, but Durara...for some reason it made my skin crawl. (no offense to those who like it) As for Reborn, I didn't care for the way a six month old (or how ever old the child was) was shooting people, causing them to essentially go insane. Then back to normal and everyone acting as though practically nothing had happened out of the ordinary.
*nods nods* I can tolerate violence (a la Elfen Lied) so long as there's a moral of the story or a redeeming theme, but probably only to a certain extent as I haven't gotten past the first 4 eps of Gantz. I heard there's a good character arc there...Even so. O_O

Quote:
Next up is Ghost Hunt, then Ergo Proxy. But don't worry Adorima, I'll get to Gungrave...it might take a little while as there are a lot of recommendations here to go through. But I'll get to it.
Excellent. *steeples fingers*

Quote:
I do have a question, why is it in half these anime's, the animations of the characters tend to act so ridiculously goofy? What I mean is back when I watched the Ghost in the Shell series and movies, there was seriousness to the show but they still cracked jokes and made witty comments.

Where as with Tiger and Bunny, and especially with Full Metal, when ever they're showing the different emotions. It's as if they think their audience is full of...well, special needs kids I guess (I hope that comment doesn't offend anyone), because of the excessive overly dramatized use of animation to point out the various emotions.

Don't get me wrong, the shows were really good, after all I watched all 54 episodes of Full Metal within a few days time. But still I often felt as though the show was trying way to hard to make the show silly.

Anyway, I was just curious. I still definitely like anime's that hasn't changed, I just don't understand the excessive use of animations to indicate the various moods and emotions.
Hmm, I don't really know what the reason is on authority, I never really liked when super-deformed chibis who are spazzing (like Ed) about something tangential, are suddenly inserted into a serious moment or serious anime, I think it can sometimes be like cheap thrillz, especially early on. It's an easy way to get the audience to like the characters by merit of getting us to laugh at the char without *showing* a legitimate character point to sympathize with. It's not really the most optimal method for character development imo.

Quote:
I do like the "emotional stuff", well depends on the type of emotions!
Oh boy, if you like Cowboy Bebop and Ghost in the Shell, and emotional stuff you're really going to like Gu-*shoe hits face*

Quote:
Also I'm really enjoying Ergo Proxy, I'm about half way through the series and it is quickly becoming one of my favorite anime's. Up there with Ghost in the Shell. Plus Re-L Mayor has an amazing gothic beauty to her, that I find oddly appealing.
Mmm, Ergo Proxy is a very though-provoking anime. Very beautifully and appropriately (like without super-deformed moments) animated.

+*+*+

NDK 2012/13:
Yori Wakaba - Vampire Knight 25%
Wang Yao (China) - Axis Powers Hetalia
Adorima is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-05-2012, 06:18 AM   #30
StarsCASSiOPEiA
Crazy name CAPiTALiZATiON

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiagirl View Post
I haven't seen any of the other series that were recommended, but I have seen a few episodes of these two and I found them both to be very enjoyable. So I'd say give these two a try for sure.
There have been talks about a bunch of longer (50-minute) Code Geass OVAs as well, and if the internet isn't lying to me, the first one premiered last night in Japan?
  • Emperor Lelouch (Code Geass): 2% (Planning) Katsucon 2015
  • Hilda, Player Character (Pokemon Black): 18% (Sewing) ?????
DeviantART // Tumblr // Facebook
StarsCASSiOPEiA is offline   Reply With Quote