Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay by Series/Genre > Video Games > Legend of Zelda

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 08-04-2012, 12:17 AM   #1
Su-san

Skyward Sword Link help?

I am going as Skyward Sword Link... next year for Supanova, I've already started my props so I can make them look as realistic as I can... so can anyone suggest

A) A good way to make the master sword + make it look realistic
B) A way to make the Scabbard
C) A way to make the Goddess Harp (playable would be preferable..... if it's not possible don't worry)
D) How to make the Hylian Shield also look realistic and
E) How would I attach everything together (I mean just the Hylian Shield and Scabbard together so it would attach to the strap on his back)

Thank you so much if you can help me!!

UNKNOWN AS OF YET

----------

Planning

Sherlock Holmes (BBC)
SuperWhoLock (Fandom-y thing)
Reichenbach Sherlock

----------
Su-san is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 08-04-2012, 12:31 AM   #2
Reily96
Zelda & Kimono Obsessed

I can't be of much help on anything aside from the harp... But I have to tell you, to make a real working harp is probably more trouble than it's worth (and technically you'd be trying to make a lyre, not a harp). It's a helluva lot of work, and in a convention setting, rather pointless to have since you wouldn't be able to hear it. It also depends on the quality you're going for - are you making the equivalent of a shoebox guitar or shooting for a quality instrument?

While I've yet to see a real harp or lyre in the shape of the Goddess Harp, I did find this blog on how to make a real harp. If you still want to try go ahead, though I'm not sure how wide a variety of sound you can get with a true Goddess harp styled lyre.

Just remember, it's probably very possible, with tech nowadays, to make a prop harp and put some sort of sound device in there to make it sound as if it is being played.
Kenshin 2.0 (Rurouni Kenshin) - 0%

For the Future:
True Form Midna - Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess
Malon - Legend of Zelda
Snow Queen Elsa - Frozen
Reily96 is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-04-2012, 02:06 AM   #3
Su-san

That could work... I might make a lyre.... depending on how big it is... otherwise then I'll just scrap the idea of making it playable and just use it as a prop... Thanks for your help!

UNKNOWN AS OF YET

----------

Planning

Sherlock Holmes (BBC)
Reichenbach Sherlock

----------
Unread 08-04-2012, 10:55 AM   #4
HylianKnight
Wandering Adventurer~

I've made my props out of cardboard, so the best advice I could give on realism, is your paint job. It's less about the materials underneath, and more about the finish product that you see. If you're very good at weathering, or shading, it'll look great. Test out different paints, if money isn't an issue, automotive paint gives the best results, but you'll need proper equipment to use it. I just used acrylics.. because I'm poor.. haha

Proper ratio is important on the construction side of things. You want it to look good on you, not on someone else. So a little math may be needed... and look for as many reference pictures as possible to help see different angles & shapes.

As for attaching.. I haven't attempted it yet, but you'll probably need real leather, or something equally strong enough to support the weight of both props. How heavy you choose to make your sword an shield also matters on what you can use for support. Like if you choose to use wood, instead of cardboard, etc.

Upcoming...
Volga (Hyrule Warriors)
Auron (Final Fantasy X)
Hanzo (Samurai Warriors 3)
HylianKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-04-2012, 11:40 PM   #5
Reily96
Zelda & Kimono Obsessed

Ah yes, one more thing about making a harp/lyre, it will be heavy! Probably not something you want to carry around for long periods of time unless you genuinely don't mind the weight. The same goes for any other prop you make too, like the shield and Master Sword. Just remember, at the beginning of the day, something can feel like 5 lbs, but by the end of the day, you'd think you'd been hoisting around a boulder. ^^;
Kenshin 2.0 (Rurouni Kenshin) - 0%

For the Future:
True Form Midna - Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess
Malon - Legend of Zelda
Snow Queen Elsa - Frozen
Reily96 is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-06-2012, 05:36 AM   #6
Su-san

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reily96 View Post
Ah yes, one more thing about making a harp/lyre, it will be heavy! Probably not something you want to carry around for long periods of time unless you genuinely don't mind the weight. The same goes for any other prop you make too, like the shield and Master Sword. Just remember, at the beginning of the day, something can feel like 5 lbs, but by the end of the day, you'd think you'd been hoisting around a boulder. ^^;
Aww ok~!! Well I'm kinda used to carrying a 7kg bag on my back... and I know that during the day (AHEM going to the sushi store around the corner from the venue, getting in the car... sitting down) I will take off my stuff...

The Lyre on the other hand... is actually something I'm making for my Goddess Zelda, even though I am Skyward Sword link, I'm gonna have an Ocarina of time in my front Adventure Pouch (nearly spelled adventure with an e!) or around my neck...
I'm sure that before I give it to her, I'll probably learn to play Sheiks theme and the Ballad on the goddess.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HylianKnight View Post
I've made my props out of cardboard, so the best advice I could give on realism, is your paint job. It's less about the materials underneath, and more about the finish product that you see. If you're very good at weathering, or shading, it'll look great. Test out different paints, if money isn't an issue, automotive paint gives the best results, but you'll need proper equipment to use it. I just used acrylics.. because I'm poor.. haha

Proper ratio is important on the construction side of things. You want it to look good on you, not on someone else. So a little math may be needed... and look for as many reference pictures as possible to help see different angles & shapes.

As for attaching.. I haven't attempted it yet, but you'll probably need real leather, or something equally strong enough to support the weight of both props. How heavy you choose to make your sword an shield also matters on what you can use for support. Like if you choose to use wood, instead of cardboard, etc.
Ahh ok~!! So I guess the paint job seems to be the most important part!! Well... I'll just get some wood paint and paint it as soon as it is done!! I've found all my reference pictures and I've already nearly finished the Master Sword and Hylian shield.... but I just need t o know where to put the straps for my Scabbard

Well thank you everyone for helping me!! It's my first time MAKING my Cosplay so I wanna make it look AWESOME (awesomer than prussia)!! And thanks to you all you are helping make it awesome!

UNKNOWN AS OF YET

----------

Planning

Sherlock Holmes (BBC)
Reichenbach Sherlock

----------
Unread 08-07-2012, 07:41 PM   #7
HylianKnight
Wandering Adventurer~

If you look at some pictures, you'll notice there's an actual belt across the top part (it sits just below the opening where your sword hilt will be when sheathed), so that is good enough to keep your scabbard on. You can also add as an optional choice, a hidden attachment placed on the inside, lower down the scabbard, so it stays closer to the body. You might be able to find a few different tips, by searching on the forums too from other cosplayers.

Upcoming...
Volga (Hyrule Warriors)
Auron (Final Fantasy X)
Hanzo (Samurai Warriors 3)
HylianKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-17-2012, 05:05 AM   #8
BreannaAiedail
Arrow

Hello!
I already made a Skyward Sword cosplay so feel free to check out my pictures
As for the props; here's what I did. Hope it helps and good luck!
http://zeldacosplay.blogspot.com/
Unread 08-17-2012, 06:35 AM   #9
Su-san

Aww~!! You look like a great Link!! And you've helped me out quite a lot!! So thank you very much~!

UNKNOWN AS OF YET

----------

Planning

Sherlock Holmes (BBC)
Reichenbach Sherlock

----------