Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Sewing/Fabric Craft

Unread 08-05-2012, 03:54 AM   #1
XxMai-chanxX
Momo

Exclamation What's a Good Online place for patterns?

Hello! I'm looking for a good, reliable website that has really good patterns. I need a couple to look at, I keep hopping around the web and it's getting old and non of the ones I find are good. Thank you for helping me!

Unread 08-05-2012, 08:05 AM   #2
Penlowe

define "good"...
Most of the major pattern companies products are well tested and each one has it's own site. Are you looking for period piece costumes?
Penlowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-05-2012, 10:35 PM   #3
Mehdia
The Corset Queen

For all the major pattern companies, I usually order from sewingpatterns.com if I can't get the pattern at a local fabric store. For historical (mostly Victorian) patterns, I go to trulyvictorian.com
Mehdia is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-05-2012, 11:48 PM   #4
XxMai-chanxX
Momo

I'm just looking for a site that's well known for their patterns and have a variety. I should've been more specific. I'm sorry! >~<
Unread 08-05-2012, 11:48 PM   #5
XxMai-chanxX
Momo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mehdia View Post
For all the major pattern companies, I usually order from sewingpatterns.com if I can't get the pattern at a local fabric store. For historical (mostly Victorian) patterns, I go to trulyvictorian.com
Oh wow, really? Thanks!
Unread 08-06-2012, 12:25 AM   #6
Mehdia
The Corset Queen

sewingpatterns.com tends to have a good number of sales on their patterns as well, usually by brand, so I like to hit them up for those when they have stuff I'm looking for or see that I think is cool and may be useful in the future.
Unread 08-06-2012, 06:33 AM   #7
Tigress
Bitch-Kitty on Wheels

Most of the major pattern companies (Simplicity, Butterick, McCall's, Vogue) have their own website. Truly Victorian's already been mentioned. folkwear.com is also good for historical patterns.

Another really awesome source is eBay if you are looking for out-of-print patterns or just looking to beef up your inventory. When I was looking for some vintage patterns for my Fujiko cosplay, I bought up a bunch of lots of old '60s and '70s patterns for inspiration.

One of the most basic rules for survival on any planet is never to upset someone wearing black leather. (This is why protesters against the wearing of animal skins by humans unaccountably fail to throw their paint over Hell's Angels.) -- Terry Pratchett
Tigress is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-06-2012, 07:01 AM   #8
Mehdia
The Corset Queen

I totally forgot about folkwear.com They can be a bit pricey, but are great patterns.

And I have hit up eBay in the past as well to get out of print patterns. You can get all sorts of stuff there.
Unread 08-07-2012, 07:07 AM   #9
Tigress
Bitch-Kitty on Wheels

Another pro-tip: Instead of looking for specific patterns for a specific costume, look for patterns you can work into multiple costumes.

For example, I have a Alice in Wonderland/Dorothy knock-off pattern that I've used for four costumes: Ponyo, Formal!Ponyo, Pinkie Pie, and Little Sister. They all have the same basic design, but I was able to make four distinct dresses.

Likewise with my Nehru coat pattern, which I've made a dress from, Enrico Maxwell's vest and a boy's school uniform top.

There's also a unisex jacket/vest pattern that I keep going back to for all kinds of things.

One of the most basic rules for survival on any planet is never to upset someone wearing black leather. (This is why protesters against the wearing of animal skins by humans unaccountably fail to throw their paint over Hell's Angels.) -- Terry Pratchett
Tigress is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-07-2012, 01:11 PM   #10
Mehdia
The Corset Queen

Again Tigress has good tips. I have a few old stand-by patterns that are slowly getting worn out I use them so much. Surprisingly, I've gotten a metric ton of use out of that generic Matrix looking coat pattern with modifications. And I have another jacket pattern I've used for jackets, tops, and dresses. Just having patterns with basic shapes can really help you out.
Unread 08-10-2012, 01:39 AM   #11
XxMai-chanxX
Momo

Thank you all for helping me! I'm such a newbie at sewing so I really appreciate all your help!