Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay by Series/Genre > Other Costumes

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 08-04-2012, 12:38 PM   #1
GoxoGoxo

Daft Punk Tux cosplay

Yesterday my friend said four words I've been subconsciously wanting to hear forever: "Let's cosplay Daft Punk."

Turns quite a few people have done this and I'm next in line to ask the obvious question of: The helmets... do I build, buy, or commission?

And I've seen people use everything from craft foam to fibreglass casting intended for chrome. @__@

Reference here:
http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lj...3le9o1_500.png

Anyone have any tips for where to begin?
Much appreciated!
GoxoGoxo is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 08-06-2012, 12:36 PM   #2
UchinaaSoba

I'm in the same boat as you. I got a quote from a well trusted source and the price was about $1800 (more if I wanted the gloves). This would have been without the electrical, too. I'll be doing mine myself, but having help from my source if need be. I can share info with you (have done extensive research) and a few money saving tips if you'd like. Do you plan on doing Thomas or Guy (Guy for me).
UchinaaSoba is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-07-2012, 11:44 AM   #3
GoxoGoxo

Thanks for the reply! Dayum, that quote is definitely out of my price range. I've got someone willing to do the electrical work for me if I can get the helmet construction started. So yes, I'd absolutely appreciate any tips! I'm playing Thomas and my friend will be Guy just due to height

PM me if you wish!
Unread 08-07-2012, 05:00 PM   #4
UchinaaSoba

They accepted payments, but I'll be postponing my job for a while, and wouldn't be able to pay. I'll need to learn how to do the electrical work (found a site where you can buy most of the parts, but for Guy). I'm going to be using a helmet and build on that (too expensive for me to start from scratch). Will you two be making yours from scratch?
Unread 08-09-2012, 11:27 AM   #5
GoxoGoxo

Starting from scratch would be amazing but I'm at a loss for materials that would do it justice. I've seen a lot of styrofoam atrocities.

Can you link me the site for the Guy helmet parts? I'm still at a loss for Thomas but it would help my co-cosplayer!
Unread 08-09-2012, 12:06 PM   #6
UchinaaSoba

Styrofoam wouldn't work with the lights (it may melt them). ^.^'

Here's the link for the LED light kit (read it well): http://www.plasmado.com/pro2.index.php You may have to find the rest of the parts to complete the lights. Here's the instructions for putting them on: http://www.plasmado.com/pro2.tutorial.php

The only difficult part for me would be figuring out how to built up the helmet for the look (going to bondo over it), and vacuum forming the visor (found a neat little site where you can build your own vacuum former for cheap). Do you know how you will build your shape?

Found this for the Thomas helmet: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DxjmQ...eature=related Even though they built it from scratch, it might give you a few ideas. This is the tutorial for it: http://volpinprops.blogspot.com/2011...mas-final.html

If you need help for the gloves, I have information on that, too.
Unread 08-09-2012, 01:05 PM   #7
GoxoGoxo

That Thomas construction is so sick. The guy doing my LED display will love this.

The gloves shouldn't be a problem but I'm going to admit right here and now that for these kinds of projects I'm the guy that designs the blueprints and does 3D sculpting. So I'm used to doing pre-production work. Actually BUILDING this behemoth...is going to be a learning process. X]
Unread 08-10-2012, 12:46 PM   #8
UchinaaSoba

Building it is definitely going to be a challenge. That's cool that you have experience with sculpting and blueprints. When will you start building? To be honest, I won't be working on it until later this year (have other cosplays to work on, and not enough money at the moment). Will you be taking pictures of your progress?
Unread 08-10-2012, 01:40 PM   #9
GoxoGoxo

Same as you; I won't be starting for quite a while. Right now I'm busy with a girl asking for a cosplay model sheet for her commissioner, someone asking for blueprints of a working AC2 hidden blade (ohgodmybrain), and real life. ;P

I'll definitely take pictures when the Daft Punk project raises it's head again - and I hope you will too! Very excited for your cosplay - I took a quick look at your Celty helmet and was impressed!
Unread 08-11-2012, 02:33 AM   #10
UchinaaSoba

Dang, you have your hands full. o.o Trying to do a commission for Noctis' sword from FFXIII Versus (if they still want it). Do your best! I'll take pictures (how I wish I could start on it now). Thank you. I had my share of frustrations with the helmet, but it was well worth it. You don't have any on your profile (therefore, can't view your works), but I'm sure you have your share of impressive works.