Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay by Series/Genre > Anime/Manga > Kuroshitsuji/Black Butler

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 08-12-2012, 12:40 PM   #1
IrohaNekomura

What makes a grell cosplay good?

Im going to cosplay grell soon, and at every con I go to I see at least 5 grell cosplays. What do you think makes a grell cosplay good or makes it stand out?
IrohaNekomura is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 08-12-2012, 01:28 PM   #2
Oniigiri_Basket
Fangirl Extraordinaire

This should be in the Anime/Manga forum, in the Black Butler sub-forum.

MCM London Comic Expo cosplay: Kiki (Kiki's Delivery Service), Nagisa Momoe (Madoka Magica)

ALA cosplay: Kiki (Kiki's Delivery Service), Snow White (Zombie Panic in Wonderland)

2015 conventions: Anime Los Angeles, Anime Central, Japan Expo
Oniigiri_Basket is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-12-2012, 03:11 PM   #3
KuruttaKanashii
Tempest in a Teapot

It should... But I'd say you don't necessarily need the ankle-length hair and coat, you can get away with a shorter coat and even shoulder-length hair as long as you're swishing around and acting fabulous. Since Grell is so recognizable, you can sacrifice a certain amount of "accuracy" (pfff) for not getting caught on doorknobs. Grell cosplay is made by the cosplayers who can really act like him and aren't afraid of their mothers finding pictures of their behavior online. ^_^

For cosplay photos please visit my tumblr
KuruttaKanashii is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-12-2012, 03:35 PM   #4
Altrus
I love dogs!

I'm generally impressed by period-appropriate cloth choices and construction. Going the length to use the appropriate materials goes a long way in making it look like a genuine outfit as compared to a "costume".
Unread 08-12-2012, 04:11 PM   #5
CorporatePuppet

I'd say the eye lashes and a chain saw ^-^ oh also a pretty convincing voice too. I've seen so many great Grells and cons but haven't come across any that have a chain saw...

I also agree with Altrus. material choice does go a long way. you can tell if you bought something opposed to made. and I think that made outfits look way WAY better than bought

Last edited by CorporatePuppet : 08-12-2012 at 04:15 PM.
CorporatePuppet is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-12-2012, 04:45 PM   #6
GrellFanBoi~
~Grell Is A Crazy Fruit~

Pay attention to details!
Be flamboyant, really act like Grell. But know how to be serious when needed. I've seen far too many Grell cosplayers who go fabulous in the wrong situations. xD
GrellFanBoi~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-13-2012, 12:06 AM   #7
SweeneyTodd
Jack Sparrow impersonator

Quote:
Originally Posted by KuruttaKanashii View Post
Grell cosplay is made by the cosplayers who can really act like him and aren't afraid of their mothers finding pictures of their behavior online. ^_^
^LOL Totally agree with the above

Why is the rum gone?

Find me on Facebook!

WorldCosplay Account
SweeneyTodd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-13-2012, 01:50 AM   #8
Mehdia
The Corset Queen

A lot of people say the personality. But honestly, that isn't what draws me to cosplayers (I honestly could care less if you ACTED like the character when you aren't being photographed). What really draws my eye in is a well tailored costume, using period accurate fabrics as stated above as well as using some general construction methods that will make the costume feel more like clothing from the period as opposed to a costume in general, even though the series is just loosely based on the Victorian era. Also, a really nice wig can do wonders. I agree that you don't have to go nearly as long as his hair really is. Wigs that length are just terrible to manage (been there done that, and will advise you to go a little shorter for your sanity's sake!). Also, the details are important. Have the glasses right, the chain on them, the gloves, and if you can, a really well built chainsaw. If you can spring for the teeth and contacts, I say go for those as well, but if you can't, that won't make your costume any less recognizable. All in all though, just have fun and be proud of what you make and it will carry you a long way.
Mehdia is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-13-2012, 08:49 AM   #9
rajamitsu

One way to majorly stand out: Do an alternate version, like the Ophelia costume, the Cheshire cat (which is, I think, the second-most done Grell costume), or the short-haired look from the OAVs.
rajamitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-13-2012, 09:15 PM   #10
damasuna

Get a really high quality chainsaw. so many grell players i see have shit for props and it just ruins it for me. while im not saying neglect the actual costume, the chainsaw is imo what makes or breaks a good grell
damasuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-15-2013, 12:14 PM   #11
foxyv17

I would say the chain saw or a prop that is easier to obtain if it is hard for you. Try his sebastian voo doo doll or sicioors. Try to get the lokk spot on with fake lasses and his teeth.
Ritsuka-Loveless= Finished
Boris Airay- Alice in the country of hearts= 30%
Tatsumi Souchi-Koisuru Boukun= 80%
Maybe~♥
Agito(wedding dress) -Air gear= 65%
Yoko kurama-YYH
foxyv17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-23-2013, 08:13 AM   #12
cyan-sonata

A really 'polished' look. You would not believe how often I see Grell cosplays that look really sloppy. And usually it's because of one thing that is really easy to fix - an untucked shirt. It just ruins everything. Make sure your costume is neatly pressed, tuck in your shirt, wear dress pants that are nicely tailored and won't slouch, etc. That honestly makes all the difference.
Unread 03-24-2013, 10:46 PM   #13
Ilafatyu
That guy

A lot of Grell cosplayers I see have wigs that make me want to brush them, and not in a good way. Take good care of your wig, because I'm sure Grell obsesses over his silky locks.

An alternative to the chainsaw that I haven't really seen... Scissors. Why does nobody do that? It's awesome, easy to pose with, and are a lot less work than making a good looking chainsaw.

facebook // dA
Want to help create a US anime convention map?
PM me your local conventions to add to the map

COSPLAYS IN PROGRESS
Lie Ren (RWBY) - 3%
Connie (SnK) - 1%
Ilafatyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-25-2013, 07:58 PM   #14
FuntomKitten
Prince With No Crown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilafatyu View Post
A lot of Grell cosplayers I see have wigs that make me want to brush them, and not in a good way. Take good care of your wig, because I'm sure Grell obsesses over his silky locks.

An alternative to the chainsaw that I haven't really seen... Scissors. Why does nobody do that? It's awesome, easy to pose with, and are a lot less work than making a good looking chainsaw.
I've actually seen a lot of people in my area pose with scissors xD I guess it just depends where you are.
Yes, brush your wig! And something that stands out to me, a styled wig. So many times I just see people who center-part their red wig and walk around with that..and it saddens me. I know how scary it is having tried to style a Grell wig myself (I ended up cutting the wig for a different character for a friend), but if you get some good advice (from somewhere like here!) and be careful it really isn't that bad.
And, myself personally, I have a weird thing with vests. If you have a really nice-looking vests I'll probably love you forever..but that's just me and that's a weird thing I have.
Facebook
DeviantArt
Tumblr

Cosplays
Nanami Chiaki (Super Dangan Ronpa 2) {Waiting/ 90% DONE}
Mirai Kuriyama (Kyoukai no Kanata) {Planning/ 0% DONE}
Rikka Takanashi (Chuunibyou demo koi ga Shitai!) {Planning/ 0% DONE}
Grell Sutcliff and Ciel Phantomhive (Kuroshitsuji) {Revamping/ New Version}
Upcoming Cons
Momocon 2014, AAD Fall+Winter 2014, Seishuncon 2014, AWA 2014
FuntomKitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-29-2013, 09:01 AM   #15
Reilala

Aside from a fabulously flamboyant personality, which really makes up for inaccuracies in clothing...you need to keep your white shirt tucked in. I'm not sure why people have them un-tucked but it looks a little sloppy. A styled wig, contacts, and glasses are next IMO.
Reilala is offline   Reply With Quote