Go Back   Cosplay.com > US Convention Forums > Anime Expo

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 11 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 07-16-2012, 11:10 PM   #181
Freight
Rolling 20's Podcast Host

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vash129 View Post
@everyone who was talking about growing the con by bringing in big GoH, I think that this could work if they could sustain awesome main events every year. One example was Asian Kung-Fu Generation, personally I would love this. Also since they never tour in America I think pulling an act like this could pull in a big crowd. If you do this over the years people will keep coming back for the events. While some people will come only for the event and nothing else, others will come and enjoy the conventions. This plus some other methods I think could steadily increase the attendance rate.

If I remember correctly they almost gotta Orange Range in 2010, which I was extremely excited about. This was until the whole Lattanzio situation. I believe he flew out to Japan and insulted them so they did not come.

I believe next year will be a good year. They actually make a way to take out feedback this year, which means that they are listening. Along with that we will have LA back to ourselves and the feel will be much better. We will also have much more room to move about and take pictures.

My biggest disappointment this year was the masquerade. I liked how they changed the format and put walk-ons first then skits. But I felt that the skits this year were severely lacking. I am not sure if this was due to the fact that people were sad about not having the nokia theater again or what but it seemed like most people could not connect with the skits. I give a ton of credit to everyone who gets up and does these this was just my opinion and the general response I received when talking to people about it. I think they should add back the prize money for best in show. I think the first year people really thought that because of the money the best cosplayers would come and no one would have a chance. This didn't turn out to be true. I think people realize that now and it would really have an effect on the skit levels. Also the half time shows. This one was better but, the only other one I have ever really liked was 2007 with the ninja VS pirates 300 story.

Also I think that everyone should get the one free main event ticket. I dont like how they changed this in recent years. I think for huge concerts its fine, but for the AX main events like masquerade it should be free.
I'd be interested in an AKFG or Orange Range concert myself. They'd be two bands with the recognition to bring some people back in as they've both been involved is the larger fad series of recent years. I would guess they couldn't do an A-list mystery concert tease until they put together a couple of years with general-interest-generating marquee guests as headliners.

The Masquerade is more subjective and harder to vet since it depends on who goes to the tryouts. Some years are better than others, but the description of the Masquerade stage this year made it sound like an obstacle.

I also wonder if there can be a savvier use of social media, like AM2's interactive scavenger hunt idea or other ideas, but that's still kind of difficult to pull off since it means you'd have to have people very keyed into your outlets, and I don't get the sense that large amounts of people are staring at their cellphones so much as the cosplayers.

I agree the concert pricing was too much. $20 per seat on a first come first serve basis was a good compromise. Even though the Nokia is conceivably a possibility for next year, I'm of the mind that more intimate gigs at the Club Nokia would be better. Smaller venue, but save some money going into the next year, and the possibility of a more intimate show. X-Japan was incredible there and there weren't many places that were a bad view from the pit level.
Freight is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 07-16-2012, 11:38 PM   #182
DarkCloudInc
S. M. R. T. I mean...

From what I hear, they won't get Club Nokia next year. Also, there's word that the dance will remain in the same hole it was hosted this year. What a waste.
---
Planned Cosplay 2014 - Winged Armor Year: Tentative
Pegasus God Cloth - Silver [Saint Seiya]
ACen?: Sat?
DarkCloudInc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-17-2012, 01:20 AM   #183
El_Duque
miyoshi82

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkCloudInc View Post
From what I hear, they won't get Club Nokia next year. Also, there's word that the dance will remain in the same hole it was hosted this year. What a waste.
What? Club Nokia would have been perfect for new up and coming acts from Japan. I thought it worked fine for Kalafina and Nrgilis in 2011.

Okay, so Kalafina and Nrgilis are already have a good following. But the ones they brought in this year (including Yuki Kaijura) would have filled up Club Nokia to the brim. What about Nokia Theater? No one will ever know.
Twitter
2014 Possible Cons
Anime Conji - Done
Wondercon - Did not attend
Anime Expo - Did not attend
San Diego Comic Con - Done and tired
Comikaze Expo - Saturday only
Long Beach Comic Con - Didn't know this con was in September, did not attend
Pacific Media Expo - Did not attend

Last edited by El_Duque : 07-17-2012 at 05:40 AM.
El_Duque is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-17-2012, 03:40 AM   #184
Makira
Show me where ya noms at.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkCloudInc View Post
... link please? Club Nokia helped A LOT with the dance. The dance this year was awful, I've seen/heard a lot of complaints about that. The 2-3 hour wait times, the small hole, no drinks except some bath water in the corner, can't pee without getting kicked out, DJs SUCKED... there's no way AX would let that happen again... right? Learn from your mistakes? I'm hoping.
Social Cosplay- http://www.socialcos.com/profile/41
Youtube- http://www.youtube.com/user/MissMakira

Cons- AM2, Anime Expo 2012, Anime Vegas 2012, Animegacon 2012
Makira is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-17-2012, 11:36 AM   #185
DarkCloudInc
S. M. R. T. I mean...

Quote:
Originally Posted by El_Duque View Post
What? Club Nokia would have been perfect for new up and coming acts from Japan. I thought it worked fine for Kalafina and Nrgilis in 2011.

Okay, so Kalafina and Nrgilis are already have a good following. But the ones they brought in this year (including Yuki Kaijura) would have filled up Club Nokia to the brim. What about Nokia Theater? No one will ever know.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Makira View Post
... link please? Club Nokia helped A LOT with the dance. The dance this year was awful, I've seen/heard a lot of complaints about that. The 2-3 hour wait times, the small hole, no drinks except some bath water in the corner, can't pee without getting kicked out, DJs SUCKED... there's no way AX would let that happen again... right? Learn from your mistakes? I'm hoping.
It's from the rumor mill at AX feedback thread on FB, so take it with a grain of salt. I wouldn't be surprised really if they did. If they went back to how it was before, I'd at least be pleasantly surprised.
---
Planned Cosplay 2014 - Winged Armor Year: Tentative
Pegasus God Cloth - Silver [Saint Seiya]
ACen?: Sat?
DarkCloudInc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-14-2012, 11:41 PM   #186
animejunkie
Crossplay is awesome

Hmm, I hope those rumors about no Club Nokia are just rumors...Kalafina, Maon Kurosaki and Nirgilis were AWESOME there in 2011. Don't go to the dances so can't comment there, but it makes sense that an actual club versus a convention hall would be better. I've heard friends rave about Club Nokia for dances in the past so I hope they use it again.

As far as concert venues go, I thought Hall G worked surprisingly well but I would much rather see Nokia be used again. But make no mistake, Nokia Theater shouldn't be used unless it's a big, big 'ZOMG,I can't believe they are coming to AX' guest. Club Nokia works fine and I would much rather pay the flat $20 for a more intimate concert experience.

As far as tools like Peter Ngo who would say that using said venues would require more expensive ticket prices than this year's prices, that would IMO be patently false as I've heard from more than a few people that it cost AX more to rent out and build out the setup in Hall G than it would for either Nokia venue which already has the stage and setup to begin with
Sakura Con
Wonder Con
Anime Expo
animejunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-03-2012, 11:11 PM   #187
choxie-chan
Uchuu KITAAAAA!!!!

I concur with the above, I know I'm very late on putting my feedback but here's what I think about this year's AX compared to last year (which was my first one) and how that affects my attendance to next year's AX:

I had a WONDERFUL time last year, It was my first and it was AMAZING!! The Touhou gathering, the Hatsune Miku concert, the BotB contest! the AX Idol auditions (I didn't make it but I met wonderful people whom made it to the finals and cheered for them and the contestants!)
Congrats once again to the AX Idol 2011 finalist and the winners!

Pros:
- The Preregister line went quicker this year! I know this time I waited like 5 hours before it opened, but it sure went quickly.
- the red carpet was still there on the exhibit hall~!
- AX Karaoke Contest went great~! congrats to the winner and the runner ups~! I had an awesome time singing there and I am happy to have won 3rd place~! <3
- not sure if enough pros here

Cons:
- No Battle of the Bands (this is why I go to AX)
- No AX Idol (this is why I go to AX)
- AX Masquarade's tickets this year vary by seating.
- ESPN's X Games interference (that includes traffic and public transportation)
- No Club Nokia
- No interesting GoH
- No Nokia Theatre
- No Official Cosplay Gathering list
That which really messed up a few gatherings with organization and location like the Tokusatsu gathering, me and some of my buddies were lost and had no idea where exactly the gathering was due to where they were placed at, and at the time I arrived (and my buddies ended up not find it) it already ended. BUMMER!!! And the Touhou gathering, for example, we had to move to somewhere with shade because the location given to us had a lot of sun and we'd have to interfere with the Hetalia gathering, but fortunately everything went awesome (except that we didn't do any dances this year gah! >_< bad Choxie!) oh! and thank you Freight for helping us organize the Touhou Dinner! it went great~! Hopefully this may happen again next year~!! and thank you to the attendants who helped me lead the Touhou gathering! My deepest gratitudes!!

Overall, this year was MEH for me. like really. I'm glad I paid $45 for this year because if I were to pay more than that, then it would be definitely disappointing. I go to AX because I want to compete in AX Idol and there wasn't anything incredible other than the Touhou gathering. I didn't buy my AX Badge this year because I'm highly doubtful if I want to go or not, I'm not even sure if there will be any BoTB or AX Idol, if there won't be any of them this year then adios AX and hello AM2 (or any other con)

Hopefully I'll go next year. >.<

AX 2014
Day 1: Struttin on fairy kei
Day 2: Mariah - Jojo's Bizarre Adventure: Stardust Crusaders
Day 3: Chen - Touhou
Day 4: Mariah - JJBA:SC

Last edited by choxie-chan : 09-03-2012 at 11:16 PM.
choxie-chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-04-2012, 05:29 AM   #188
Access

Quote:
Originally Posted by animejunkie View Post
As far as concert venues go, I thought Hall G worked surprisingly well but I would much rather see Nokia be used again. But make no mistake, Nokia Theater shouldn't be used unless it's a big, big 'ZOMG,I can't believe they are coming to AX' guest. Club Nokia works fine and I would much rather pay the flat $20 for a more intimate concert experience.

As far as tools like Peter Ngo who would say that using said venues would require more expensive ticket prices than this year's prices, that would IMO be patently false as I've heard from more than a few people that it cost AX more to rent out and build out the setup in Hall G
I don't know about Club Nokia, but I hear it's pretty expensive, like almost as expensive as Nokia Theatre to rent out. But then less staff is required, so it might be cheaper overall.

For Nokia theatre, a very rough estimate is $100,000 a night(?) Or as much as double that? The best guess, at least, from looking at financials from similar years where they had the Nokia versus years where they didn't. Renting it out is only part of the expense, you have things like security, administration, insurance, and overages (can be significant if an event starts/ends late). The cost for Club Nokia is harder to guess at.

The thing is I don't think Nokia has ever paid for itself. 3500 people paying $20. is only $70,000. I think Nokia has always been 'subsidized' by the badge fee. Not that that's a bad thing. And I think in the earlier years, members got one free Nokia ticket to the event of their choice?

Also if anyone is in the local area and interested, this:
http://www.facebook.com/events/393143454086848/
near the end of the month.
Access is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-19-2012, 06:23 PM   #189
El_Duque
miyoshi82

What does everyone think about AX releasing their attendance numbers this year at 49,400 unique? Also, it seems AX is going Korean.

Quote:
We've got great news for everyone today! Anime Expo is teaming up with MNET to co-create the inaugural K-Pop Cosplay Masquerade at KCON, the first ever large scale convention dedicated to the hottest entertainment coming out of Asia. “There is an increasing popularity of K-pop among J-pop and anime fans,” says Marc Perez, CEO of Anime Expo and the Society for the Promotion of Japanese Animation. “
It is only natural to be working with KCON to create this major partnership.” Tickets are available at www.kconusa.com. KCON is offering a 5% discount to AX friends and supporters, just enter the promo code AXKCON12 when purchasing your ticket! And here's something else sure to get everyone excited, Anime Expo and MNET and will be collaborating to bring a K-Pop act to Anime Expo in 2013!
Twitter
2014 Possible Cons
Anime Conji - Done
Unread 09-19-2012, 07:52 PM   #190
Access

El Duque, it's not a bad number, but I always like to see the financials also.
Access is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-19-2012, 10:55 PM   #191
Freight
Rolling 20's Podcast Host

Quote:
Originally Posted by El_Duque View Post
What does everyone think about AX releasing their attendance numbers this year at 49,400 unique? Also, it seems AX is going Korean.
It didn't feel like there was that big of a jump in attendance.

I'm not generally a K-Pop person, so that's not a big deal for me.
Freight is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-20-2012, 02:41 AM   #192
El_Duque
miyoshi82

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freight View Post
I'm not generally a K-Pop person, so that's not a big deal for me.
I'm sure they won't be able to land the big names like SNSD and Super Junior for example that would draw mega crowds, but some have done anime intros and endings.
Twitter
2014 Possible Cons
Anime Conji - Done