Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay by Series/Genre > Historical Costuming

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 04-27-2012, 02:19 PM   #1
ModernPrincess
Princess of a New Age

Making a Panier

I plan to cosplay Miss Charlotte La Bouff from Disney's Princess and the Frog this next year, and I was wondering what the best way to go about making a Panier was. The thing is I can't buy it because it needs to be over-exaggerated and go around the back as well. Anyone have any ideas or tutorials I should be looking at?
England/Arthur Kirkland - Queen of Spades (APH)

@};---
ModernPrincess is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 05-17-2012, 12:54 PM   #2
Sarcasm-hime
bead addict

I used the Simplicity pattern 3635 for my butterfly dress. I used hoop steel from Farthingales.

If you need it wider you could just modify the pattern width-wise and adjust the length of the hoops accordingly.

The International Costuming Convention is returning to Toronto Canada!
4 Days! 4 Masquerades! Shopping, Tours, Parties, Costuming Panels and Classes, Cosplay, Props, Doll Show & Competitions, Steampunk, Sci-fi, Fantasy, and so much more!

the den of sarcasm - my website
Magpie Creations - jewellery and wa-loli accessories
Sarcasm-hime is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-12-2012, 05:57 PM   #3
sinsoo
Sinsoo

I actually am planning to do a Lottie cosplay as well. My main issue is how to get the volume in the back of the dress.
The silhouette is closest to the 1750s French court dresses, but when she is tripped at the party you see she is wearing a hoopskirt closer to those in 1860.

To add on to the inaccuracy of wearing a pannier, she has a bunch of volume in the back of her dress as well.

I don't think a full petticoat will do me much good with how voluminous her dress is. I was thinking of constructing a large bustle piece that I would wear separate from the pannier. However I am not sure how I would make such a piece or where to even begin. Any advice?
Unread 06-12-2012, 06:05 PM   #4
sinsoo
Sinsoo

Whoops. Posted a question earlier and the images were way too big, sorry. uwu;;
So I am doing a Lottie cosplay as well, and I was planning on using a pannier since the silhouette of her dress most closely resembles a 1750s French court dress.
http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m5...kzno1_1280.png

However the issue arises that her dress is extremely voluminous in the back, something a pannier would not give.
Reference 1
Reference 2

Further, it is shown later she is wearing a hoopskirt that resembles those most closely those in 1860.Reference 3
I doubt a petticoat will give that much volume so I was thinking of constructing a separate, large bustle that I would attach separately above my pannier. However I am not sure how I would construct such a piece, nor do I really know where to start. Any advice?
Unread 06-13-2012, 02:11 AM   #5
ModernPrincess
Princess of a New Age

@ sinsoo

This is the same problem that I have been having. What I think I'm going to do is make an altured panier that will sit over a hoop skirt, with a thin petticoat over the metal layers.

@};---
Unread 06-13-2012, 02:03 PM   #6
redsheep

Getting a large enough hoopskirt to do something like this is what you may be needing. You could take some string and sew it on the inside of the front of the hoopskirt, then tie them behind your back to get it to pop back. A couple of really fluffy petticoats on top should help to add a little more poof. The skirt would have to be very long in order to now rise up with the ridiculous volume.
redsheep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-16-2012, 01:07 PM   #7
ModernPrincess
Princess of a New Age

Quote:
Originally Posted by redsheep View Post
Getting a large enough hoopskirt to do something like this is what you may be needing. You could take some string and sew it on the inside of the front of the hoopskirt, then tie them behind your back to get it to pop back. A couple of really fluffy petticoats on top should help to add a little more poof. The skirt would have to be very long in order to now rise up with the ridiculous volume.
I have twenty yards of pink taffeta that 72in wide. I'm good~ xD
But I didn't even think of making a large hoop skirt...and now that I look at it, that's totally what she has. Thanks for the info!

@};---
Unread 06-26-2012, 10:00 PM   #8
Ororo Monroe
Head Goddess In Charge

I want to say they way they got that puffy look back in the 1830's was to also wear a pillow bustle over the corded skirt (this was before they had wire crinoliness/hoops) but under the outer skirts. Pillows where feather, varied for the desired shape (arm, butt, etc.) with strings to tie around the arm, waist, etc. Does that help?

Also, it may look puffy like that because the front of the crinoline is being pushed back. Like a bell, when one side is pushed the whole shape moves. The best example I can think of is the Hans Christian Anderson movie/musical with Danny Kaye. The song, "No Two People Have Ever Been So In Love".

Heavens, I can't believe I admitted that. That almost as bad as admitting I know all the Gilbert and Sullivan Opera's. Which I don't and I'm not....

Last edited by Ororo Monroe : 06-26-2012 at 10:07 PM.
Ororo Monroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-21-2012, 03:48 PM   #9
ModernPrincess
Princess of a New Age

@ Ororo Monroe

Thank you so much for the info! <3

And that's okay. :3 I've seen just as many (probably maybe).

@};---
Unread 08-14-2012, 02:11 PM   #10
snapdragon
Addicted to Heroines

Someone had a great tutorial on using flat hoses from the hardware store for super cheap, super light panniers that are STRONG. http://www.mistressofdisguise.com/20...that-dont.html

Good luck!
Unread 08-15-2012, 12:42 AM   #11
marielabouff

Smile

i think all u need is a crinoline or caged crinoline like ones they used in the 1800s to give a dress more volume and petticoat netting. u can cunstruct a crinoline to any size, shape, width and hight u want so the shape can fit the one like charlotte's. then sew up a petticoat to use as an under skirt with alot of layers and put it on top of the crinoline to add even more volume, poof and flow. and dont forget to make the petticoat the same length so the dress does not look like a lamp shade. to give the back extra volume just sew more petticat netting there. and make sure fabrics and the petticoat netting is light enough to give the dress that same bounce as charlotte's. THANK U.
marielabouff is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-15-2012, 12:47 AM   #12
marielabouff

Smile solution....maybe!

i think all u need is a crinoline or caged crinoline like ones they used in the 1800s to give a dress more volume and petticoat netting. u can cunstruct a crinoline to any size, shape, width and hight u want so the shape can fit the one like charlotte's. then sew up a petticoat to use as an under skirt with alot of layers and put it on top of the crinoline to add even more volume, poof and flow. and dont forget to make the petticoat the same length so the dress does not look like a lamp shade. to give the back extra volume just sew more petticat netting there. and make sure fabrics and the petticoat netting is light enough to give the dress that same bounce as charlotte's. THANK U.
Unread 08-15-2012, 12:54 AM   #13
marielabouff

i think addind a pillow bustle to the back and covering it with petticoat netting will help the back problem