Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay by Series/Genre > Comics/Cartoons

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 28 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 08-10-2012, 04:50 PM   #781
kuko-chan
Waterbender Extraodinaire

Hello, I just started working on a Dolorosa costume and I wanted some honest opinions on how my horns look (and I promise not to get bitchy or whiny if you say they need work).

Basic horn shape

The base is made of carved styrofoam and covered in clay. I made the mistake of buying modelling clay instead of bakeable clay. Has anyone ever worked with Plastimodal before? I was going to leave it for a week and see if it hardens on its own via air-dry method, but if you know for a fact that this is shitty clay, I'll just buy better stuff next time.

Unread 08-11-2012, 01:58 AM   #782
Emi
want some pins with that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuko-chan View Post
Hello, I just started working on a Dolorosa costume and I wanted some honest opinions on how my horns look (and I promise not to get bitchy or whiny if you say they need work).

Basic horn shape

The base is made of carved styrofoam and covered in clay. I made the mistake of buying modelling clay instead of bakeable clay. Has anyone ever worked with Plastimodal before? I was going to leave it for a week and see if it hardens on its own via air-dry method, but if you know for a fact that this is shitty clay, I'll just buy better stuff next time.
I think they're pretty good! I'd maybe curve them a bit more if possible? Her horns seem to go out and then come back in to make a big curve while yours are straighter. No idea about the clay though, sorry!

[Next Cons]: AWA // Holiday Matsuri

[Progress]

Ryuko Matoi (Senketsu School Uniform) - 90%
Kida Masaomi (Yellow Scarves) - 10%

tumblr
Emi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-11-2012, 02:17 AM   #783
ametheneko
Fickle Cosplayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lupe Garu View Post
I'm going to be attending my first con this fall (Nebraskon) and I plan on going as Gamzee/Sober Gamzee. The only thing I'm stuck on is the pants T.T I don't know if I should go with black jeans or sweat pants. And what would be the easiest way to get the poka dots? And for sober Gamzee the blood of the other trolls... What is the best way to make troll blood?
Otherwise my list is this: Ben Nye white and grey aqua paint, black tooth color, sealer spray, shirt, pants, wig cap liner, and wig. I have purple chucks and the horns (that my lovely little sister is making for me) and as far as the eyes go I will probably wear regular contacts (unless I get the money and can find a pair of perscription colored contacts I can afford) Is there anything I'm missing?
Hey! For the circles on the pants, I'd actually suggest printing out circles on iron-on transfer paper and then ironing them to the fabric. I've seen other cosplayers do painted circles or sewn on circles, and I just personally think the transfer method looks amazing.

As for blood, it depends on where you want it. I recently just took a sober Gamzee photoshoot, and for his scars we just used purple Ben Nye that we applied reeeeeeeally thickly. But for blood elsewhere, there's a few ways you can go. The first time we tried to do sober Gamz, we used puffy paint to create a shirt that was soaked in blood, and then put that paint on my face for the scars. It worked and looked amazing, but the puffy paint has a tendency of crusting over and then flaking off of skin after a while, so it can get a little annoying. On fabric, though, it looks amazing and works really, really well!

If you don't want to stain your shirt with paint, though, there's another option. Whenever I make fake troll blood, I use dish soap, chocolate syrup, and then a few drops of food coloring to achieve the desired shade. It looks really nice for photos and such, but the problem is that when it's on skin, it's really sticky. If you apply it to clothing, though, it winds up looking really nice and pretty impressive without the problem of stickiness. The only catch is since I haven't ever tried it on a black shirt, I can't really account for how well it'd stand out, but if you got it on your Capricorn sign, you'd definitely be able to tell the difference. (I had some drip on my poke-a-dots and it looked really great.)

If you're interested in colored contact lenses, also, I'd recommend checking out Alice and Rabbit. They have really, really nice contacts for low prices. I recently ordered in a pair of prescription red ones and a pair of normal blue ones for a Dave and John costume, and myself and my friend were both very impressed with the results. People kept walking up to my John and complimenting her "natural eye color." The contacts are nice, and ours were both $30 a pair, not counting shipping.

I know I'm really wordy, but I hope that helps!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuko-chan View Post

Basic horn shape

I agree with the idea of curving them ever so slightly more, but aside from that I think they look fantastic!

Unfortunately with the Plastimodal, I'm all too familiar with that clay. My mom's an art teacher, and that's the clay she uses for basic teaching principals year to year. It doesn't harden. I have, in fact, had a model that I made out of that clay no less than ten years ago that's still malleable. From what I remember, attempting to bake it results in a soupy sort of mess. I know you put a lot of work into them, but it's a good thing there's a styrofoam base in this case. I'd probably suggest just taking the clay off the best that you could and covering the styrofoam base again with Model Magic or Paperclay, which will air dry in a few days. If you really don't want to back pedal that far, it's possible that you may be able to put a layer of Model Magic over what you've already made. When that hardens, it might make a sort of exoskeleton for the Plastimodal. It might be worth a shot to try, though?

I'm sorry you have to back track, but I'm really excited to see your finished cosplay!

In-Progress Cosplay
Sha Gojyo - Saiyuki Reload - 90%
Agent York - Red vs Blue - 5%
Oki - Okami - 10%
Kenren Taishou - Saiyuki Gaiden - 5%

What Cosplay? | The Bet Is Off
ametheneko is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-11-2012, 01:52 PM   #784
kuko-chan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ametheneko View Post
I agree with the idea of curving them ever so slightly more, but aside from that I think they look fantastic!

Unfortunately with the Plastimodal, I'm all too familiar with that clay. My mom's an art teacher, and that's the clay she uses for basic teaching principals year to year. It doesn't harden. I have, in fact, had a model that I made out of that clay no less than ten years ago that's still malleable. From what I remember, attempting to bake it results in a soupy sort of mess. I know you put a lot of work into them, but it's a good thing there's a styrofoam base in this case. I'd probably suggest just taking the clay off the best that you could and covering the styrofoam base again with Model Magic or Paperclay, which will air dry in a few days. If you really don't want to back pedal that far, it's possible that you may be able to put a layer of Model Magic over what you've already made. When that hardens, it might make a sort of exoskeleton for the Plastimodal. It might be worth a shot to try, though?

I'm sorry you have to back track, but I'm really excited to see your finished cosplay!
Backtracking is not an issue. It'll give me a chance to carve out a bit more of a curve in the styrofoam. Thank you for the info on the clay. It's a good thing you told me now. I'd hate to be disappointed in a week when it's still soft.
Unread 08-12-2012, 08:48 PM   #785
kuko-chan

Ok, here's an update on the horns: Painted horns
Whatcha think? (The unpainted parts are not part of the horns.)
Unread 08-13-2012, 08:38 AM   #786
MeliZbeauty
MeliZbeauty

yay finally found other homestuck

Cosplays WIP:

ANIME CALIFORNIA:
Hinata, Kuroo, Nishinoya from haikyuu: Done
Shiroba from DMMD:50%
Regular Aoba from DMMD: Done
BellyDance Aoba from DMMD: 10%
White Ciel from Kuro: 5%

SDCC:
Queen Ayrenn from Elder Scrolls Online: 5%
SHIROBA: 10%
MeliZbeauty is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-15-2012, 01:57 AM   #787
ametheneko
Fickle Cosplayer

I figured here might be the best place to ask this! I had a set of Model Magic horns that has recently cracked in half. I tried Elmer's, Tacky glue, wood glue, and contact cement and nothing seems to hold them together. Can you guys think of anything else that might be able to glue Model Magic?

In-Progress Cosplay
Oki - Okami - 10%

Unread 08-15-2012, 01:09 PM   #788
Bodici22
is a crazy person.

Quote:
I figured here might be the best place to ask this! I had a set of Model Magic horns that has recently cracked in half. I tried Elmer's, Tacky glue, wood glue, and contact cement and nothing seems to hold them together. Can you guys think of anything else that might be able to glue Model Magic?
I don't think it's an issue of being able to glue model magic. If they cracked in half, pretty much no glue can hold it together on its own. You might want to get a skewer or a dowel (and you might need to drill a hole into the horn if you use a dowel, but it'll be stronger) and then put that into the horn for support. With that helping prevent them breaking along the break line, you should be able to use white glue or wood glue just fine. I'm not super familiar with contact cement or tacky glue, so they might work. A lot of things will glue model magic since it's foamy and so porous.

If you don't want to use a dowel, you might be able to twist some wire into a spiral and use that to screw the horns together. You won't need glue but it'll be harder to get the pieces to line up.

Also you can add me on twitter! Unless you have something better to do with your time than read about the insanity of my life.
Bodici22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-15-2012, 05:26 PM   #789
careko

Quote:
I bought plastimodal too. I still shaped my thing, but I put a modeling paste over it (which become hard after 24h (liquitex modeling paste)) so it was good for shaping but other that that, it's not so useful for cosplay props -_-;

Modeling paste is really useful to put over something already shaped. you can sand it too and color the color or the paste with acrylic based colors. http://www.liquitex.com/modelingpaste/

only thing, texture when not dry is like tooth paste...
Unread 08-16-2012, 01:24 AM   #790
ametheneko
Fickle Cosplayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bodici22 View Post
I don't think it's an issue of being able to glue model magic. If they cracked in half, pretty much no glue can hold it together on its own. You might want to get a skewer or a dowel (and you might need to drill a hole into the horn if you use a dowel, but it'll be stronger) and then put that into the horn for support. With that helping prevent them breaking along the break line, you should be able to use white glue or wood glue just fine. I'm not super familiar with contact cement or tacky glue, so they might work. A lot of things will glue model magic since it's foamy and so porous.

If you don't want to use a dowel, you might be able to twist some wire into a spiral and use that to screw the horns together. You won't need glue but it'll be harder to get the pieces to line up.
Thank you for the advice! Unfortunately, I attempted something similar to that, by wrapping the break in electrical tape and propping it up against a can to keep in the right position while the glue dried. The reason the horns cracked in the first place is because I left them sitting in my car, with the windows down, for about a month in the middle of summer. My concern is that, despite keeping the pieces in constant contact during the drying process, they refuse to bond, even when using contact cement, which is a permanent bond even when between metal objects. Although perhaps the lack of bonding was just a fluke.

Thank you for typing out your response to me! Since the break is in the middle of my horns, though, and since they're Gamzee horns, it's a little hard to patch with a straight dowel or a screw. But that's my fault for not providing reference. Here's a picture, in case that helps you or anyone else? But thank you so much for taking your time to try to help me out!

Sorry for the low quality webcam picture, but it's the best I've got right now. (The reason the horn isn't in two pieces completely is because the string that I used to make the ribbing effect is holding it on.)

In-Progress Cosplay
Oki - Okami - 10%

Unread 08-16-2012, 12:50 PM   #791
Bodici22
is a crazy person.

@ametheneko: Ouch. Yeah. That's a tricky spot. I guess if you have a dowel or something that's only like 3 inches long, and then maybe putting in a bit more model magic. You say it cracked from being left in the car? I guess there could be a moisture/heat related thing, so maybe putting more model magic in the crack, letting it dry, and then putting glue on both sides of that little patch piece you made. I've got some model magic floating around, so I'll try out every glue I have and see if any of them stick really well.

OH I JUST HAD AN IDEA. Have you tried Gorilla Glue? It foams up so if you put the pieces together and wrap them with tape like you did before, that might stick better because you'll get more contact. I'm still going to vote putting some sort of support running the length of the horn, even if it's a very short one, because it'll put less stress on the glue and make it easier to get the pieces lined up seamlessly.

Also you can add me on twitter! Unless you have something better to do with your time than read about the insanity of my life.
Bodici22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-18-2012, 01:19 PM   #792
Jabberwack
Epic Zombie of Epicness

I'm back to ask the oddest question.
For any trolls that use the amazing creation called arm socks, do you put your facepaint on first, or after? I don't want to get the paint on my arm socks, therefore I can't do it with the arm socks on, and because the grey facepaint will get messed up if I put the armsocks on after. Any advice?

Cosplays: Brock (Pokemon) 95%, L (Death Note) 100%, Kurapica (Hunter X Hunter) 100%, Bikky (FAKE) 40%, Count D (Pet Shop Of Horrors) 70% Dave Strider (Homestuck) 95%
New York Comic Con 2012:
Friday: Sober! Gamzee Makara (Homestuck) 80%
Saturday: Mituna Captor (Homestuck) 80%
Sunday: Mituna Captor (Homestuck) 80%
Jabberwack is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-19-2012, 02:04 AM   #793
FeralSheep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jabberwack View Post
I'm back to ask the oddest question.
For any trolls that use the amazing creation called arm socks, do you put your facepaint on first, or after? I don't want to get the paint on my arm socks, therefore I can't do it with the arm socks on, and because the grey facepaint will get messed up if I put the armsocks on after. Any advice?
Hmm, is the only problem with putting on them on before being getting the paint on the hand area, or does it get on further down as well?

If it's only the hand area, perhaps you could cover them with some disposable gloves before you apply the make-up?
FeralSheep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-23-2012, 01:54 AM   #794
MeliZbeauty
MeliZbeauty

If you guys are having a problem with horn making why not try the foam, you know the one they use for plant decorating, cover it with a single layer of clay sand it and paint, lighter and more sturdy.

Cosplays WIP:

ANIME CALIFORNIA:
Hinata, Kuroo, Nishinoya from haikyuu: Done
Shiroba from DMMD:50%
Regular Aoba from DMMD: Done
BellyDance Aoba from DMMD: 10%
White Ciel from Kuro: 5%

SDCC:
Queen Ayrenn from Elder Scrolls Online: 5%
SHIROBA: 10%
MeliZbeauty is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-28-2012, 06:16 PM   #795
ADAM+EVE
Awesome

Quote:
A stiff wire screw/coil/spring perhaps?

EDIT:
I didn't read your most recent post. I think it you take a pair of pliers and make the coil longer and thinner then screw it in, add a bit of epoxy putty halfway, then screw on the top half, it would be perfect.

Last edited by ADAM+EVE : 08-28-2012 at 06:19 PM.
ADAM+EVE is offline   Reply With Quote