Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Wigs and Hair > User-Submitted Wig FAQ's and Tutorial Threads

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 142 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 06-21-2011, 12:24 PM   #286
Rurouni-Idoru

So I've found the perfect wig-style in Amphigory's Petrushka, except for one problem: It doesn't come in the magenta color I'd like, a problem easily solved by the fact that Sharpies do. It also, as you can see if you followed the link, does not come in white. Obviously it'd be best to get it in a pink rather than a green or yellow or something, but does it matter if I use light pink or hot pink?

Last edited by Rurouni-Idoru : 06-21-2011 at 01:14 PM.
Rurouni-Idoru is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 06-23-2011, 07:31 AM   #287
SabienStrange
likes italian sharks

This may be a silly question, but my brain is too dead to color theory on its own right now.
I have a bright red wig. I'd like to say it's around this color here.
I was curious if it was possible to dye it this color here, or will the red of the wig interfere too much and make it dye weird.
SabienStrange is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-29-2011, 11:54 PM   #288
MermaidSymphony
I'm Secretly a Mermaid

I was wondering what color sharpies would you reccomend to make a golden blonde color?

Anna (Coronation Gown)-Frozen
Cinderella (Rodgers and Hammerstein's Cinderella)- Halloween/ ALA's Starlight Ball 2014
Panty Anarchy (Remake)- Panty and Stocking
Lance (Pokemon)- Anime Expo 2015
Limited Edition Doll Ariel (Little Mermaid)- D23 Expo?
MermaidSymphony is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-06-2011, 06:26 PM   #289
xoxoPanda-chan

thanks for posting!!!
Unread 01-24-2012, 06:25 AM   #290
ixxora

Hello, quick question.. Is it possible to dye a light brown wig (think card captor sakura brown) to dark violet? (think faye valentine violet)
ixxora is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-24-2012, 11:19 AM   #291
Starlit Rose
Breaking out of my cage

I realize most of these questions are old, but I thought it would be good to answer for anyone else looking in the future.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rurouni-Idoru View Post
So I've found the perfect wig-style in Amphigory's Petrushka, except for one problem: It doesn't come in the magenta color I'd like, a problem easily solved by the fact that Sharpies do. It also, as you can see if you followed the link, does not come in white. Obviously it'd be best to get it in a pink rather than a green or yellow or something, but does it matter if I use light pink or hot pink?
Depends on how dark you want it. I think it could work fine either way, but if you used the hot pink, you would already be starting at a medium shade and the Sharpie dye will darken it from there. So just keep that in mind!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SabienStrange View Post
This may be a silly question, but my brain is too dead to color theory on its own right now.
I have a bright red wig. I'd like to say it's around this color here.
I was curious if it was possible to dye it this color here, or will the red of the wig interfere too much and make it dye weird.
Hmmm that is quite an extreme change. Since the purple you'd want to make it into is dark, I'd say it might be possible, but it would take a lot of dying and I think the red would still show through too much since it's so vibrant. You could always test it out on a small part and remove it with alcohol if it doesn't come out right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MermaidSymphony View Post
I was wondering what color sharpies would you reccomend to make a golden blonde color?
Something like the Marigold color should work fine. Dandelion would be more of a yellow-y gold color and Marigold would be more of a gold color. Depending on what you want you might mix the two.
http://www.sharpie.com/enCA/Products...manentM arker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ixxora View Post
Hello, quick question.. Is it possible to dye a light brown wig (think card captor sakura brown) to dark violet? (think faye valentine violet)
Since the color change is so different, I wouldn't count on it giving you good results, but I would expect it to come out very dark and not a very vibrant purple. As I suggested above, you can give it a shot on a small part of it and see what it does. If it doesn't work you can always rinse it out with alcohol.
Levi - Attack on Titan/Shingeki no Kyojin - 100%
3DM Gear - Attack on Titan/Shingeki no Kyojin - 90% (needs repairs)
Lux (classic skin) - League of Legends - 10%

Facebook || Tumblr

Last edited by Starlit Rose : 01-24-2012 at 11:21 AM.
Starlit Rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-03-2012, 10:21 AM   #292
Gale
All the world's a stage

I've just attempted my first sharpie dying job, and I'm in the "wash" phase. Just to be sure, is there anything besides running it under cold water a gajillion times I should be doing? Envel said so many times in the FAQ bit that you need to wash the wig "properly" but none of the tutorials I've found go into much detail about washing, so I want to make sure there's noting extra I'm missing.

Edit: Also, tho the water is running very nearly clear, the wig is still a bit sticky and sticky ink is coming off onto my fingers as I continue to rinse it. I assume this just means keep rinsing, right?

Places you may find me in 2013:
Katsucon ~ ConBust ~ Anime Boston
PortCon Maine ~ ConnectiCon ~ Dragon*Con

Last edited by Gale : 05-03-2012 at 10:50 AM.
Gale is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-04-2012, 01:47 PM   #293
Sangochan241
Sky Blue Days~

I hope this hasn't been answered already, but here goes!

I'm dyeing a white wig a particular shade of yellow for my Elesa cosplay, and I mixed up my dye and tested it with a Q-tip and looks nice. However once I use it, I'm worried it may com out too light.

So I was wondering, can I re-dye a sharpie wig darker if need be?
Unread 07-19-2012, 02:42 AM   #294
EXEC_HYMME_MACARON
Michu

I have a question. I'm going to be dyeing a wig soon, a short white bob from Epic Cosplay.

I've dyed two wigs from them before with good success using the dunk and dye method ( that is breaking sharpies, and mixing them with 70% alcohol)

However this time I'm going to be doing a multicolor wig, and since it's short.. I figure why not do it by hand? Few sharpies, couple cups of coffee and marathon some shows I need to catch up on.

Are there any special rules for hand coloring with Sharpies? Or is it just color on the hair, rinse when done, voila. The only thing I can think of is to make sure to rinse each section/color at a time so the don't bleed together.

Anything else?
EXEC_HYMME_MACARON is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-20-2012, 01:47 PM   #295
nikkib197
Opposite Cosplay

i have a question about dying a wig black with the sharpie method (not the hand one). I have a blue black wig, and i want it to be more black than blue. I tried the ink method (3 times) and it didn't work, the ink would just wash out when i rinsed it and i still can't even touch it without turning my hands black. So i wanted to try the sharpie method. I am just hoping to dye the blue hairs to something darker, even if it isn't black. Brown or a dark purple would be better than blue. would anyone recommend this? or should i just go the long way and hand sharpie it?

thanks
nikkib197 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-30-2013, 06:18 PM   #296
willowlove5

I got a cheep black wig that has neon green highlights that I wanted to dye black. I'll be hand dying the highlights with a sharpie but I want to know what I need to do afterwards to seal the dye. Do I need to use the alcohol anytime in the process?
willowlove5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-30-2014, 11:30 AM   #297
jrhall22

I'm interested in adding pink highlights to my wig, but I don't want to color the whole thing. Is that possible?
jrhall22 is offline   Reply With Quote