Go Back   Cosplay.com > Reviews > Commissioner Review

Unread 08-15-2012, 07:10 PM   #91
angelbabycakes
Scorchcake

Quote:
Originally Posted by ichigo_m. View Post
My problem as a commissioner is customers who don't respond. They ask for a quote then disappear. This only annoys me because I take all my quotes seriously and I take one of my open spots on my commissions list and make it "on hold" this means that other serious cilents don't have the opportunity to get this spot.
You probably shouldn't hold a spot if no money is paid. Most people asking for quotes are shopping around on prices and the like. It's quite common for people to ask for quotes and then disappear. Sadly, the same thing happens where commissioners disappear after giving quotes too. I can see how it could be frustrating though.
angelbabycakes is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 08-15-2012, 08:38 PM   #92
Chao-Fangirl
Plushie Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by angelbabycakes View Post
You probably shouldn't hold a spot if no money is paid. Most people asking for quotes are shopping around on prices and the like. It's quite common for people to ask for quotes and then disappear. Sadly, the same thing happens where commissioners disappear after giving quotes too. I can see how it could be frustrating though.
THIS.

Just because someone asked for a price quote doesn't mean they will go through with the commission, nor does it mean that they're obligated to go through with the commission.

I personally don't "reserve" spots for people unless they have given me some kind of payment for their commission. My commission spots tend to fill up fast anyway. So, I'm not going to waste my time with someone that may or may not pay.

I don't know if this has happened to anyone else, but sometimes, I will get someone who will ask for a price quote, and then many months later (after I have completely forgotten about the person), they will message me out of the blue to say they're not interested or they need time to come up with the money.

Sometimes, I will get a message from someone months later saying that they need to "cancel" their commission, even though they never sent me any money. I guess some people don't understand that it is not a commission until they have paid for it. XD

http://www.a-chan--creations.deviantart.com
Chao-Fangirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-15-2012, 09:50 PM   #93
CapsuleCorp
Master level costumer

Yeah, there's a difference between inquiries/quotes and orders. Everything is merely an inquiry until I have a contract, measurements (if applicable), and deposit. I like to be open and welcoming to people who are just shopping around for quotes, because if I can give them a good experience, hopefully they'll remember that in the future even if my quote doesn't fit their budget. I still take their inquires seriously and give them the best information I possibly can, but I don't consider them a customer until THEY say they want to go ahead with it.

COMMISSIONS! Strange Land Costuming - www.strangelandcostumes.com

Director, SF&F Masquerade - COSTUMECON34 - Madison, Wisconsin - May 6-9, 2016 - www.costumecon34.com
CapsuleCorp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-15-2012, 11:31 PM   #94
ichigo_m.
Eli Ebberts

Yes, I understand that. And I remove the on hold after a few days. But just as you guys are saying it's a courtesy for commissioners to respond to your questions I expect the same out of potential clients. If my quote is too high I like for people to say so, I can usually do things to help. Or if they just don't want the costume anymore it;s a courtesy if they say so.
Unread 08-16-2012, 09:06 PM   #95
CapsuleCorp
Master level costumer

Yeah, I know. I just cleaned out my inbox earlier this evening - so many quotes sent out into the ether, never to be heard from again. It would be NICE if customers remembered to email back the ones they didn't choose to say "thanks but no thanks" but I just gave up hoping for it. It's nice when people do.

I wonder if they're not afraid that by telling me no, they're going to somehow hurt my feelings? Customers and potential customers, don't worry - we commissioners like to know, rather than being left in the dark. Let us know, we'll get over it.

COMMISSIONS! Strange Land Costuming - www.strangelandcostumes.com

Director, SF&F Masquerade - COSTUMECON34 - Madison, Wisconsin - May 6-9, 2016 - www.costumecon34.com
CapsuleCorp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-16-2012, 11:30 PM   #96
Mykaios
Saving all the meguca's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ichigo_m. View Post
Yes, I understand that. And I remove the on hold after a few days. But just as you guys are saying it's a courtesy for commissioners to respond to your questions I expect the same out of potential clients. If my quote is too high I like for people to say so, I can usually do things to help. Or if they just don't want the costume anymore it;s a courtesy if they say so.
THIS! I hold spots for as long as possible, but when and if someone else comes along and is willing to put down a deposit and wants a certain date, then I must by all means give it to them.

I take time to respond to all of my messages. For example, we just moved but our internet isn't set up yet. I was able to respond to some messages via my cell phone but then I just ended up having to add a tethering service to my plan anyway just so I can respond faster and get the build up cleared and everything organized. So, it really bothers me when people don't respond. I'd really like it if and when someone took a couple seconds to respond saying they found someone else or that my quote is out of their budget (which I try to work with) or something. It just shows me that, that person was serious about their wanting to cosplay what they're seeking a quote for and as you said, it's a nice courtesy.

What really irks me is when people CONFIRM and CANCEL. No, they haven't paid anything and what not, it's the fact that I've already spent week/s going over the details, the design, fabric choices, price breakdowns, payment options and plans, etc and they tell me they're going to pay by certain date or get materials sent to me or something but end up not doing it and not saying anything about a cancellation until after their specified dates. And, like clients, I hate bothering someone else for a follow up and still not hear anything.

I hated doing so, but I finally bit the bullet and started compiling a list of people who don't respond and confirm/cancel as a reference for myself in the future and as a reference for fellow commissioners, who could be using their time to book more serious clients.

Last edited by Mykaios : 08-16-2012 at 11:32 PM.
Mykaios is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-20-2012, 01:14 PM   #97
Wolfmeisterrr

I as well have had a commissioner go MIA on me, to where I had to move on. Luckily I didn't make any payments or anything.

It's incredibly annoying to agree on something and then disappear. Even gave maybe a few weeks, because they are probably busy, but still nope nothing. I suppose I wish they would have said "Oh Sorry not interested anymore, etc etc". So I could have just moved on to someone else.
Wolfmeisterrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-31-2012, 07:23 PM   #98
ViolentEvo
ViolentEvolutionCreations

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapsuleCorp View Post
Yeah, I know. I just cleaned out my inbox earlier this evening - so many quotes sent out into the ether, never to be heard from again. It would be NICE if customers remembered to email back the ones they didn't choose to say "thanks but no thanks" but I just gave up hoping for it. It's nice when people do.

I wonder if they're not afraid that by telling me no, they're going to somehow hurt my feelings? Customers and potential customers, don't worry - we commissioners like to know, rather than being left in the dark. Let us know, we'll get over it.
this.

I tend to get excited with certain commissions, especially ones that are great for future use. Since i deal with molding armor, helmets, masks etc, all of my products have the potential to be resold. Which allows me to make more money, but also translates into a lower price for the customer, because i take part of the labor costs myself. Selling casts is much less labor intensive than making and molding a prototype, and that's potentially where the money comes from, not particularly the original commission which sometimes comes at a loss.

But after the excitement wears off of a potential highly recastible item fades and the customer never says "no thanks" or "too much for my blood" its just one of those ohhh... type situations after not hearing back.

If what i just said sounds weird, it's because there is an unwritten rule in professional prop making, and that's that commissions are only for the end product, not the process that created it. so most times the molding labor is slashed, to save the customer money, because the mold itself can be an investment for the creator. I usually give the option to buy the molds for things, but depending on the item, demand translates into the price. If it's sometime that I will never see a demand for I tend to just offer the molds for free because storage space can get expensive after a while.

Examples would be: I made a mask of the arcane creature from the original swamp thing from 1982, effects were crap then and he wanted it film realistic, so I offered the molds for free, because by modern standpoints, it looks horrible. I'm currently working on a full halo ODST costume, proportioned for a smaller individual. Asking price is 1000$ for the molds, and that's only under the condition of me owning them for 1 year, with a max of 2 casts other than his out of them. If the conditions weren't agreed to, it would be closer to 3/4000 for the molds. But since that was the agreement, even If i don't cast of ANY other than his personal suit, he still only has to pay 1000 or so for the molds.

I went off on a tangent randomly. what was I talking about?

OH, I always reply within 6 hours, unless it is outside of my timezone, which their awake time is my sleep time. But from a commissioner standpoint, constant communication becomes counter productive. I feel that it is my obligation as to reply to everything that comes to me in a timely manner, sometimes customers want to try to micromanage that job, which becomes very stressful, and counter productive, because the second I look away from my sculpt to check my phone, I have to find my place again, which becomes a massive distraction. Though at the same time, I always give my personal and business facebook to customers to contact me with any question or concerns. A balance needs to be met, but striking that balance can be very hard a lot of times because "the customer is always right".

Facebook -www.facebook.com/violentevolutionfx

Last edited by ViolentEvo : 12-31-2012 at 07:29 PM. Reason: forgot something
ViolentEvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-03-2013, 08:01 PM   #99
esl1976

Seems to me that communication is, to some extent, key. Personally, if I don't hear from someone I sent an inquiry to within a few days, I pretty much figure that they're probably too busy. It's nice to hear "sorry, too busy" but I really don't expect it. That said, if I'm gonna spend a hundred dollars or more, I want to be able to communicate with the person and not get left dangling.

With regard to price, I have found that some people DO get offended if you try to tell them that what they're asking is too much, especially if what I can afford and what they quote me are too far off. I find it easiest to ask "is this budget realistic?"
esl1976 is offline   Reply With Quote