Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Cosplay Tutorials

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 08-20-2012, 05:28 PM   #1
Jei-Cos
Jei-Cos

Insulation Foam Cloud Buster Sword Tutorial (With Pics)

I can't for the life of me find one so I made one..Remember this is not the sturdiest prop. It's only foam. Do not hit things with it..It can break..Also try not to swing it around a lot..You can swing it in a chop style motion without it breaking but if you swing it where the air will hit the sides, it may snap on you. If you want it super sturdy use fiberglass. This tutorial is not using that but you can after my second to last step if that's what you want to do.

Materials:
-Pink Insulation Foam Board (Mine was 8'x2')
-Cutting too; (I used a seratted knife but I recommend a hot wire cutter)
-Gesso (White goopy kind. Mine's a 16oz jar)
-Liquid Nails Glue In The Tube
-Baking or Air Dry Clay (Mine is an off brand at Michael's that has 2 times as much as scuply for the same price)
-White Foam Board (The kind at Wal*Mart that is foam with paper on both sides)
-Sponge brush (mines a 2", but get whatever)
-2.5in (diamiter) cookie cutter (I used a coke glass but cookie cutters are easier)
-Hand sanding tool sand sand paper (150grit should do it)
-1" wide Wooden dowel
-Paint (Color depends on your choice)
-1.5in width Ace bandage if you are doing the KH version (use 5 dollar store ones)

1. Start out with your foam board, and draw up what you want it to look like. I already has a paper version of the sword I used as a stencil. The size will depens on your height and what you feel is the right size. Mine from the bottom of the handguard to the top of the blade is 51in, and a width of 11.5in. If you have a stencil you should draw it on both sides of the board so you know you can make the cuts straight. Also be sure to indicate on the drawing where the bevel will start. You will see on mine I have lines drawn up it where the blade would start beveling to a point. It will look like this:
http://i88.photobucket.com/albums/k1...6/buster-1.jpg

2. Cut out the shape..I don't know how to be clearer then that..It will look like:
http://i88.photobucket.com/albums/k1...06/buster0.jpg

3. Now is where the fun begins. Start out by making a line down the center on the thickness that indicates how far the bevel will stop at a a point. This is the "striking edge". It looks like:
http://i88.photobucket.com/albums/k1...6/buster01.jpg
Then once you do that start cutting away at the foam at an angle. You should be cutting like this:
http://i88.photobucket.com/albums/k1...6/buster02.jpg
You won't get all the edge cutting it once in the same place. You need to do a lot. It took me roughly 2 hours to finish both sides. When you are done it will have this torn to shreds look to it like so:
http://i88.photobucket.com/albums/k1...6/buster03.jpg
Sanding fixes this. See the saw the blade is facing you in the pic? Face it just like that to you and sand going in front of you pulling it. Don't pus, it snags and rips MORE. This will take a few hours to look nice as smooth. It won't ALL be smooth but this will be fixed later. Here's how it will look:
http://i88.photobucket.com/albums/k1...6/buster04.jpg
http://i88.photobucket.com/albums/k1...6/buster05.jpg

4. After that you will move on, to the handguard. Now this is prettu easy at first. Just cut a rectangle 12.5in wide by 3.5in tall like so:
http://i88.photobucket.com/albums/k1...6/buster06.jpg
Then make a line all the around the thickness on the halfway mark like so:
http://i88.photobucket.com/albums/k1...6/buster07.jpg
Then cut it along the lines until it's in half. Shave off until they are only 1/4in thick each and glue them on. It will look like this:
http://i88.photobucket.com/albums/k1...6/buster08.jpg
After that drys, Fill in the gaps on either side (bladed and non bladed sides) with extra pieces cut to fit (this will take some time to get the pieces to fit..But here's how mnie looks:
http://i88.photobucket.com/albums/k1...06/detail0.jpg
You can fill it with really anything since it will get covered anyway..

5. Then time for the little details. Cut 4 stips of the white foam board that are 12.5in long and 3/4in wide. Then 4 more the same width but only 2in long. Glue the longer ones on both sides like so:
http://i88.photobucket.com/albums/k1...6/detail01.jpg
Then do the same with the smaller ones on the 2 sides (bladed and non bladed sides):
http://i88.photobucket.com/albums/k1...6/detail02.jpg
Now before we make the rest of this, we need to cut out the holes which should be drawn on your foam. Use the cookie cutter to cut the holes out. You may need to heat it up to make it a little easier, but it's ok not to. Here's the pic of mine with the coke glass:
http://i88.photobucket.com/albums/k1...6/detail03.jpg
Next make a hole at the halfway mart on the bottom of the entire thing and DO NOT make it the right size to fit the dowel. Make it smaller, like 1/2in or so. Then sharpen the dowel (again the length of the dowel is whatever you choose) then once it is sharp enough (doesn't need to be a point at all) push it in as best you can and as straight. Don't go TOO far or it;; poke through the holes you made (materia slots). Then, once it's at your desired farness, take it out and slather with glue and shove right back in and hold it for about 2-5min to let it stick to it. then cut out 2 circles out of the white foam board that are about 2in thick with a hole in the center to make it fit over the dowel snuggly. Then glue into place. These are the area right under the handguard that appear to be where the handle was fitted to. Then do the same again but with 1.75in circles that fit snuggly and glue. It will look like this:
http://i88.photobucket.com/albums/k1...6/detail05.jpg
Next we need to make the dome details that run along the handguard. Make them out of any baking clay or air dry clay. I recomment sculpy type stuff ) but you can use anything really. Glue them on and it should look a little like this (Do one side at a time though and let it completely dry before glueing the other side. They will be too heavy to stay on until dry):
http://i88.photobucket.com/albums/k1...6/detail04.jpg

6. After everything is dry GESSO THE CRAP OUT OF IT!!!! Use the sponge brush to apply it. It will look like this with the first 2 coats or so (Do about 5-6 coats):
http://i88.photobucket.com/albums/k1...6/detail06.jpg

Do this over everything but the wood. After that sand and paint. I don't have a finished picture yet as I'm still on the gesso part but yea. This is where at the top I say you can fiberglass it. After gesso you can use resins or fiberglass on top to give it a stong cover and it'll be harder to break. Once I get mine done I will show you a picture on here.
I hope everyone likes this tutorial and can use it to make their own sword. This is also a good tutorial to make other big swords like the one from Naruto or something. Enjoy and happy cosplaying!!

FINAL PRODUCT PICTURE #1
FINAL PRODUCT PICTURE #2

If you are doing the kh version, use the ace bandage and sew a few together to make it longer (I used 5) and just wrap it up starting from the bottom going up then back down and tie it at the bottom so some can hang off.
-Either Hikari (Pokemon Platinum) or Roxanne (Pokemon Omega Ruby)
-Squall Leonhart (Dissidia: Final Fantasy)
-Akaito (Vocaloid. Re/Black ver)

Last edited by Jei-Cos : 08-28-2012 at 01:18 AM.
Jei-Cos is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 08-24-2012, 04:11 PM   #2
Jei-Cos
Jei-Cos

For anyone that looks through this, I will have the finished product pictures sometime in the next week. I just finished my last coat of gesso and need to sand and paint. Painting take a while to dry and i need to coat it a few times anyway so it could take a whole week at most. Sorry for the delay
Unread 08-26-2012, 09:20 PM   #3
Jei-Cos
Jei-Cos

Just added a final picture to the first post. It's the finished product.
Unread 08-26-2012, 09:30 PM   #4
Rangiku12
<3 Old School <3

Going to do this! Also can this method be used to make key blades? Mainly Guardian soul and Fenrir as they are kinda sword like.

Working on
Tsunade (Naruto)
Mimmy (Hello Kitty)
Rangiku12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-26-2012, 09:41 PM   #5
Jei-Cos
Jei-Cos

Fenrir yes. it will take a little more skill though as the blade and handle will need to be different thicknesses. But guardian soul should be wicked easy to make this way. The hand guard thing will take a crap ton of sanding though..
Unread 08-26-2012, 09:47 PM   #6
Rangiku12
<3 Old School <3

Will try this first then either of the two key blades. Not sure which I like more

Working on
Tsunade (Naruto)
Mimmy (Hello Kitty)
Unread 08-26-2012, 09:52 PM   #7
Noize
One Sky, One Destiny

If I may ask, I really want to make a sword like Clouds for my cosplay but when you said it can break, how sturdy would it be? Do you put something to make it sturdy?(I forgot what it's called but you put his on foam so the foam won't break so easily).

Dream Cosplays
Chrome Dokuro [Katekyo Hitman REBORN!]
Rin [Togainu no Chi]
Lucina [Fire Emblem Awakening]

Noize is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-26-2012, 09:52 PM   #8
Jei-Cos
Jei-Cos

Well I HAVE a Fenrir keyblade, so I know what it needs to look like and it's gonna be a little hard but I could walk you through in in the PM's we are already sending. It wont be hard I can tell you what materials to get and everything
Unread 08-26-2012, 09:55 PM   #9
Jei-Cos
Jei-Cos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noiz DRAMAtical View Post
If I may ask, I really want to make a sword like Clouds for my cosplay but when you said it can break, how sturdy would it be? Do you put something to make it sturdy?(I forgot what it's called but you put his on foam so the foam won't break so easily).
Well, if you really are afraid of it breaking, Use epoxy resin or fiberglass resin and it makes it really strong. I would use a bunch of coats of white glue over it before hand though. Maybe 10 coats of it at LEAST before hand. You may be able to use gesso before the fiberglass or epoxy but I'm not 100%.

But just so you know. We had pretty good wind today and all it did was like start to float in my hand, like it was trying to ply away, but it wasn't even CLOSE to breaking. I feel even without the resin, it will still be strong enough.
Unread 08-26-2012, 10:09 PM   #10
Rangiku12
<3 Old School <3

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonTerror View Post
Well I HAVE a Fenrir keyblade, so I know what it needs to look like and it's gonna be a little hard but I could walk you through in in the PM's we are already sending. It wont be hard I can tell you what materials to get and everything
Great idea! But I will deal with the key blade last so I can work on Sora's other things like Shoes and wig. My bro loves anything with cloud so making this for his birthday. Will let you know when I start on the key blade and did you make the Fenrir you have?

Working on
Tsunade (Naruto)
Mimmy (Hello Kitty)
Unread 08-26-2012, 10:30 PM   #11
Jei-Cos
Jei-Cos

Yea, I also have a pair of sora shoes but I don't know if I wanna sell them..They were made for me..And cost a lot lol
That's the greatest present ever....lol
No I bought mine on ebay. It's metal.
Unread 08-27-2012, 01:04 AM   #12
Rangiku12
<3 Old School <3

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonTerror View Post
Yea, I also have a pair of sora shoes but I don't know if I wanna sell them..They were made for me..And cost a lot lol
That's the greatest present ever....lol
No I bought mine on ebay. It's metal.
Thats ok for the shoes I was thinking of using some old hi top vans i have and build on them. I'm a good sister X3 and goodness its real?..i saw a real one in a store here for $80 its heavy but i cant take it to a con so no use in drooling over it. I did want to ask as ive never used it before but the first thing..the pink foam where you get it? as to in like lowes as thats whats close to me..what to plan out a budget for this first.

Working on
Tsunade (Naruto)
Mimmy (Hello Kitty)
Unread 08-27-2012, 01:43 AM   #13
Jei-Cos
Jei-Cos

Well that's how my shoes were made..But with converse..
Yes, yes you are a good sister lol
Well that really depends on the con. It's not sharp so it's different. When they say no live steel it's usually bent for a sharpened blade, like a real katana. The only con I've been to so far, I was in my Marluxia cosplay at a KH shoot and there was a girl cosplaying OrgXIII Riku and had the same Fenrir. It was bought off ebay just like mine. She was allowed to have it.
Lowes DOES have some, but If there's a home depot around you, it's a better option there. Lowes only had the white kind which is really bad for prop making and one blue one that I hear is basically the same as the pink ones but there was only ONE and only a spot for ONE. home depot has a CRAP TON of pink. Also, mine was a 8ft x 2ft and 1.5in thick (you will need half that at least IF you can find it) and that was $18 something before tax.

I say If you want the BEST for it use wood or cardboard. It's easier to make stable when it's that thin with both of those. Foam it that thin can snap.
Unread 08-28-2012, 01:19 AM   #14
Jei-Cos
Jei-Cos

Added a second final picture to the first post.
Unread 09-01-2012, 03:53 AM   #15
Sellesion

Hey, cool tutorial! It gave me ideas for my Yuffie weapon I still need to make. XD
But might I suggest, that instead of using Clay for the last step of part 5, the bolt-type things on the sword, you/readers of this tutorial could use things called wooden plugs? They're little rounded wood pieces that when painted and glued on, they can look like that. They're found in several sizes in Home Depot. :]
Sellesion is offline   Reply With Quote